Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-02-23, 12:07   Link #221
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Never underestimate the draw of a game though. I bought a PS for FF 7. I bought a Wii for Xenoblade/Last Story. I bought a PSP for about three RPGs. Making, in an ironic sense, console games the most expensive games I've ever bought, when you factor in the hardware price, something people try to place on PC gaming.
A major reason I bought a new computer was to play newer games. And it was a hell of a lot more expensive than any console (excepting early PS3).
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 12:33   Link #222
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
A major reason I bought a new computer was to play newer games. And it was a hell of a lot more expensive than any console (excepting early PS3).
There are plenty of people who actually need a very high end PC. Given people do a lot of work and multitasking having a high end PC is a good idea even if you don't really desperately need the processing power to run things, since the faster it is the better experience you have with everything you do.

On the other hand nobody really needs a console outside of gaming.

Honestly though who cares how much it costs or how many games it has, it's all a bunch of procrastination either way, the only question is really if you want it. Buying the system for a single game seems entirely reasonable to me, if that one game is all you need for your leisure time. But I'm probably in the minority here of just needing a good game, over a whole truck load of crappy ones.
Old 2013-02-26, 08:40   Link #223
defki

And here comes the backpedaling.

Gara: The answer to the pre-owned question isn’t clarified just yet.

I trust Yoshida more than this guy but his answer was also kinda vague. Fuck off Sony if you do this.
defki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-26, 16:00   Link #224
Xion Valkyrie

Don't expect backwards compatibility for PS3 games on PS4 except through their streaming service. You can thank the cell for that. On the other hand, PS5 would probably be backwards compatible with PS4 games.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-26, 16:33   Link #225
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

The ps4 doesn't sound like much of a improvement over the ps3 other then better specs.

i am going to wait for the 3d holographic game system.
Old 2013-02-26, 17:27   Link #226
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
And here comes the backpedaling.

Gara: The answer to the pre-owned question isn’t clarified just yet.

I trust Yoshida more than this guy but his answer was also kinda vague. Fuck off Sony if you do this.
I strongly believe if they avoid answering the question, it is because the answer is bad. I just wish they tell us outright early.
Old 2013-02-26, 19:08   Link #227
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Don't expect backwards compatibility for PS3 games on PS4 except through their streaming service. You can thank the cell for that. On the other hand, PS5 would probably be backwards compatible with PS4 games.
People were saying the same thing in regards to the PS3. That they'd make sure the PS4 was backwards compatible since the PS3 wasn't so much. And then they completely removed backwards compatability. I wouldn't expect them to care to add it back in on any future device.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-26, 19:12   Link #228
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
People were saying the same thing in regards to the PS3. That they'd make sure the PS4 was backwards compatible since the PS3 wasn't so much. And then they completely removed backwards compatability. I wouldn't expect them to care to add it back in on any future device.
Yeah, there is too much incentive to force people to buy them all again via digital download. It is all about getting us to buy the same things multiple times and charge us each time.

Who cares about making a good product? Just milk more money from the same customers.
Old 2013-02-26, 19:50   Link #229
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Yeah, there is too much incentive to force people to buy them all again via digital download. It is all about getting us to buy the same things multiple times and charge us each time.

Who cares about making a good product? Just milk more money from the same customers.
which is why i got that nes/snes emu on my phone
i am not buying the same game 3 or 4 different times.
Old 2013-02-26, 20:21   Link #230
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
The reason they removed it for PS4 is because the PS4 uses a completely different architecture than the PS3. They'd need to create a software emulator to emulate the cell system on the PS4, which is much more work than they're willing to put in.

However, PS4 is pretty much just a PC, so unless they purposely try to obfuscate the system or the PS5 uses some crazy new architecture again, the PS5 should be pretty compatible with the PS4.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-27, 04:44   Link #231
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I'll bet money on the PS4 being able to download PS1, 2 and 3 games soon enough after being launched. Just like the "no backwards compatibility" PS3. So clearly there is a workaround.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-27, 05:41   Link #232
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
The ps4 doesn't sound like much of a improvement over the ps3 other then better specs.

Well the PS3 had somewhat of a pioneering spirit, in terms of making something new. The PS4 on the other hand it basically off shelf parts customised to work efficiently with each other. IIRC PS4 is designed by western team, unlike the previous consoles, which explains the different direction it has.

Before anyone being brainwashed into the AMD's Jaguar APU hype, only becasue it is in the PS4, read this
Like the Wii U, the CPU is the weakest link in the PS4 package. Except for the GDDR5, and probably cooling, all the other component costs are relatively low. It wouldn't surprise me if it retails at around the £250/$350 mark at launch. (GBP is so weak now it is probably 1:1, when the console is on the market)
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-27, 13:34   Link #233
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Supposedly most of it's cost is likely going to be mostly that crazy amount of GDDR5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post

What would a holographic system have to do with the processing system. Sound to me like if such a system came into existance it would replace everything *but* the processing system.
Old 2013-02-28, 11:30   Link #234
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I'll bet money on the PS4 being able to download PS1, 2 and 3 games soon enough after being launched. Just like the "no backwards compatibility" PS3. So clearly there is a workaround.
or maybe even use Gaikai's services to play older games.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 13:12   Link #235
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
instead of allowing people to play games they already own. The new system will allow people the privilege to buy those games all over again. Better yet, a subscription system so people can keep paying every month for the privilege to play games they already own.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2013-02-28 at 14:30.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 14:08   Link #236
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Here is the better option.

Keep the old console.
Old 2013-02-28, 14:41   Link #237
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post

Keep the old console.
Madness! To the pit with you.
Old 2013-02-28, 15:05   Link #238
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post

Keep the old console.
Some people like to reduce clutter, or cords, or any number of other reasons to not keep the old console around. Your statement is another option, not necessarily a better option. Further, what happens if the console dies? Now you don't have a backup, like you could have if the PS4 were backwards compatible.
Old 2013-02-28, 15:23   Link #239
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Some people like to reduce clutter, or cords, or any number of other reasons to not keep the old console around. Your statement is another option, not necessarily a better option. Further, what happens if the console dies? Now you don't have a backup, like you could have if the PS4 were backwards compatible.
Technically if the PS4 was backwards compatible you would be all for selling your PS3 so actually it's the other way around. If you have a PS3 and PS4 you have a backup since if one dies you can go play on the other (albeit not the same games). If you have only a PS4 then if PS4 die, that's it.
Old 2013-02-28, 16:18   Link #240
GDB

The final statement doesn't assume that the user sells the PS3. They could still keep it for save files/bluray player/whatever and just not keep it hooked up/in the area.