AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-01-22, 02:41   Link #41
SeroganeX

Send a message via AIM to SeroganeX
Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchou: Tou

Oh man oh man, I can't believe there's an anime for this. I played the game years ago (7?) and I couldn't understand a word of it. But I ended up liking it so much I started looking for walkthroughs - of which I wasn't able to find any until several years later. This game is so obscure outside of the Japanese-speaking community so you can understand my frustration when I learned that there was also an expansion and a sequel (Well technically a prequel). In my desperation, I decided to take Japanese, in hopes that one day I'll be able play this game and all the others for their worth.

Looks like I might not have to now.

Bless you, Shinsen-Subs.
SeroganeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 02:50   Link #42
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

All Hail that fansub they had done a wonderful job on Demon Bane . We wont have to wait that long for releases . I read about this in unaired section was quite fascinated by this anime muchos looking forward to it

Un-aired Link
Old 2007-01-22, 03:00   Link #43
SeroganeX

Hmm, I was kind of hoping they would've used the character design from the game (Well, maybe except for the main character, since you play as him and the game designers made it so that you can't see his face very well, probably an attempt to make it easier for the players to immerse themselves into his role).

Houraiji and Sakurai look really off compared to the original. Also all the characters look kind of kiddish, which doesn't help.

Oh hell, what am I talking about? I'd watch this series even if all the characters were stick people with anime heads.

Edit: I sincerely hope they keep the plot as close to the game's as possible though.

Last edited by SeroganeX; 2007-01-22 at 03:15.
Old 2007-01-22, 03:40   Link #44
SeroganeX

Oh sweet, they brought back voice actors from the game (Save a few characters). Granted, the characters never had more than one liners (Excluding combo attacks), it's still a nice touch.

Well, I'm satisfied.

P.S. Haha, I can't believe they changed Kozunu Tendou this much (Well where do I begin? Well he wasn't nearly so clownish, for starters. And he actually looked manly). Marie Claire (She was a ginger kid, enough said) and Maria Alucard (She was a red head with an hourglass figure, not blond and skinny) deserves mentioning too. Check it out if you know what I'm talking about:

http://www.majin.tv/chara.html
Old 2007-01-22, 03:41   Link #45
Zelda1

WTF is going on!?! I don't know, but I like it!
Zelda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 04:13   Link #46
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

This is something I have to watch.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 04:24   Link #47
Contempt
Counting Spoons

Send a message via MSN to Contempt
I just finished watching that first episode... This is definately going to be one which I will watch...
Dare I make an assumption in that the game was only released in Japan?
Contempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 04:25   Link #48
wao
OK.

Well, that was a helluva lot of fun. It read like a great list on how to make a Typical Anime:

-High school setting? Check
-Superpowers? Check
-Hidden 'alter role'? Check
-Badass guy as well as calm-but-nice guy leads? Check
-Tomboy girl + 'weaker' girl with psychic powers? Check
-Annoying bespectacled reporter girl? Check
-Batshit zombie fighting? Check
-Crazy gravity-defying action? Check
-Glowing tatoo things? Check
-Random chanting stuff and weird old monks from nowhere? Check
-Evil bishie with whacko makeup and hairstyle? Check
-Loligoth sidekick? Check

This sounds like the perfect anime I'd brainlessly watch on Saturday mornings or something! But well, I think it largely worked because the show paced itself well enough and focused more on the action - which, as everyone has said, was nicely animated. It was higher than I expected, mostly around the 2nd half: the explosions in particular were quite well-done!

I liked the general drawing style, anyway, the lines felt very skilled and confident, and overall it left a good impression on me.
Spoiler for examples w/screencaps:

Of course, it wasn't on the lvel of Matsumoto or Takashi Hashimoto etc., but my respect for Jun Nakai has increased. A really good job. The character designs may seem ridiculous but they're well-executed (and the boss guy with the long hair was impressively bishie). I just remembered something when looking at the key animators; another apparently notable name is Toru Yoshida 吉田徹, nowadays he's got a bit of a bad rep because the studio he works for, Anime R, sometimes does rather lousy jobs on outsuorced episodes (Speed Grapher and NHK ni Youkoso come to mind). However - Anime R apparently can do a good job if they want, and Yoshida was apparently actually a rather good animator during Anime R jobs for mech shows in the 70s/80s. There's clips of it on Youtube, I think. Perhaps that side of him is what showed her?

And even the storyboarding was good... thank Shinji Ishihira's work, I remember him a bit from Ouran... The pacing and decision to use camera effects and stuff probably would've been him, as well as the synchronisation with the music (I'm guessing), but what about the nice layout? Was it his storyboarding or the animators/Nakai's? I wonder. It was generally very good - focused the scenes well, connected well with each other, and effectively showed the scale of objects. (I need to mention somewhere I liked this scene's composition.)

The music within the show was so-so - except, of course, for the excellent opener and the not-bad closer... It was used to excellent effect! You really could feel "something good's coming up" the way they used it. And well, it delivered the goods...

Of course the biggest problem with this is that obviously I'm enjoying this much, much more for the style than for anythign else. It's almost another guilty pleasure. Actually, I think it is...
And if this doesn't keep up this level - or near this level - of production quality, I probably wouldn't bother watching it (although Tatsuma is kinda cute and I did actually like the seitokaichou, surprisingly! I liked how her maturity seemed to vaguely impress Kyouichi.).

I think it would be stupid to expect it to maintain this level of quality, but we'll see...

One last thing: the school fails for having a changing room with windows and without curtains. LOL.
Old 2007-01-22, 04:31   Link #49
SeroganeX

It's true. Almost none of the "Emotion" games make it over here (Save maybe hentai games). Years back when I first got Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchou along with Epica Stella (Known as Vanguard Bandits here) as a gift, I really wasn't expecting either to be ported over. But to my surprise, even a game as obscure as Epica Stella made it, so my speculations may be true. They probably think games like Tokyo Majin won't sell over here or something.

The anime series may shed some light on the game though, so that's another reason why I'm super thrilled.
Old 2007-01-22, 05:05   Link #50
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

I just watched the first episode having zero prior knowledge about it. Personally, I didn't like it one bit. The action was very rushed and the scenes were disjoint, making it hard to piece together what was happening. Not a single character was given a proper introduction, and instead the viewer is thrown head-first into this world without a damn clue about what is going on. Some people may like this type of style, but I do not.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 05:06   Link #51
kiwi_666

I also watch the first eps. Actually I first just watched the raw, normally I prefer other kinds of anime (I mean drawing style) but after watching the raw, I was definitely sold to this anime. First I didn't understand much of it, because I don't know any japanese, but now I have seen the subbed version, so I think I understand a little more about it. Still I have a question... Maybe a stupid one, but I was just wondering if someone know the answer.

Spoiler:
kiwi_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 05:31   Link #52
SeroganeX

I'm guessing it is, though the baby was never in the game. Nor was the whole scene at the very beginning.

Kozunu Tendou is a woman?! Well that does explain her seiyu.

Spoiler:

Roots: I'm guess that they will go into explaining how everything started, kind of like in Berserk, where you see a glimpse of the present with Gatsu out for revenge, then the past explaining how Gatsu got to where he is, then gradually back to the present again with him on the hunt for Griffith.

Last edited by SeroganeX; 2007-01-22 at 06:03.
Old 2007-01-22, 05:45   Link #53
SeroganeX

I'm guessing it is, though the baby was never in the game. Nor was the whole scene at the very beginning.

Spoiler:

Roots: I'm guess that they will go into explaining how everything started, kind of like in Berserk, where you see a glimpse of the present with Gatsu out for revenge, then the past explaining how Gatsu got to where he is, then gradually back to the present again with him on the hunt for Griffith.

Spoiler:

I still have high hopes for this series. The first episode wasn't bad enough to dampen it.

Edit: Excuse my spoilers, those of you unfortunate enough to have seen them unhidden.

It seems that there are two of the same topic now in this forum. Should I let this one die (i.e. delete it) and post in the other one?

Edit: Sweet, this works for me. Thanks.

Last edited by monir; 2007-01-22 at 13:04. Reason: merged double post!!!!!!
Old 2007-01-22, 10:08   Link #54
andromeda0201

Really liked the first episode just because of the hardcore fighting scenes which reminds me a lot of Samurai Champloo for some reason, maybe its the drawing...
andromeda0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 13:01   Link #55
sevenheaven7

is there any romance in this anime between Hiyo the main character?
sevenheaven7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 13:16   Link #56
Jewelray

Send a message via AIM to Jewelray
The first episode was so unbelievably stupid it was almost funny. I can't tell if this show is taking itself seriously or not.

Unless there is something worth staying for, I think I'm going to pass on this one.
Jewelray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 13:34   Link #57
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wao
This sounds like the perfect anime I'd brainlessly watch on Saturday mornings or something!
That is precisely the secret of enjoying shounen series! Sometime it can become difficult to keep that raucus brain in check as it automatically starts looking down, or poking fun at shounen plotline. To keep that unruly brain in check, it's better to give the head a few smack to remind it who is the boss. Banging the head a few time in the wall is the other alternate solution which can do wonders for enjoying any genre in question and not just limited to shounen in particular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenheaven7 View Post
is there any romance in this anime between Hiyo the main character?
There is a very good possibility to see some romance, although, the question remains how much focus will be put into romance considering this show is catered to shounen fans. I suppose we'll have to wait a few more episodes to see how this show will move forward. In the first episode, everything is just in a tailspin in regards to story.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 15:54   Link #58
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
I liked the general drawing style, anyway, the lines felt very skilled and confident, and overall it left a good impression on me.
Spoiler for examples w/screencaps:

Yep, great attention to detail: like you say, with those little puffs of dust and smoke, the sign of someone who pays attention to form rather than just effect. I wouldn't expect to see that on a TV production. And that last scene, with Daigo, the sense of scale is palpable - again like the animator has a real feel for proportion and volume. It sounds obvious, but few anime's seem to realistically convey the volume of huge entities, creatures or otherwise.

A couple of scenes that caught my attention...

Spoiler:

Anyway, I watched the sub and was impressed with what Shinsen did with the encode (bringing out the colours and whatnot) though the filter they used did make some of the scenes look a bit blotchy perhaps. Anyone else think that? Oddly I prefer the muted washed-out look of the raw (the DVD will probably be closer to the sub colours no doubt).
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 16:22   Link #59
VincentRPG
Fansubber

It's not one of the best raws by far we have ever seen. Infact, it was right there with the IBK stream raws we have to use. If there is a better source out there, we welcome it. Hell, even one raw looked like 8-bit theatre.

- Vincent
VincentRPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 17:50   Link #60
Jesus Christnekoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeroganeX View Post
The baby was in the game, it just wasn't shown.

Quote:
No, Tendou is a man. Unless the anime decided to radically change things.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

You should also adjust your set, because both Marie and Maria were blonde in the game.
Jesus Christnekoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, supernatural