Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-28, 16:42   Link #16881
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
But they'd talk about it.

As it is now, even if they grow, what can they hope? Become the Central Park version of Burning Man?
This is the most that can be done at the moment. To publicly show discomfort and disapproval of wall street is a good start. It is all about inciting civil dissidence in order to push for change. If there is any violence coming from the protesters then the empire would have an easy excuse to marginalize them and influence opinion in wall street's favor.
Old 2011-09-28, 17:20   Link #16882
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
They need to occupy Wall Street. As in, get into the actual buildings, take over the computers, and move the money. 'cause, right now, who cares?
Exactly, they need to hit wall street where it hurts: Their wallets.

They need to basically blockade the buildings, make it really difficult for people to go in and out.

Sure the wall street stock exchange is a public building? Couldn't they just go inside and clog the whole place up?

Or they could all register as traders, and then go and clog the whole place up.

Staying outside and making speeches isn't going to go anywhere, they have to make a statement.
Old 2011-09-28, 17:40   Link #16883
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Exactly, they need to hit wall street where it hurts: Their wallets.

They need to basically blockade the buildings, make it really difficult for people to go in and out.

Sure the wall street stock exchange is a public building? Couldn't they just go inside and clog the whole place up?

Or they could all register as traders, and then go and clog the whole place up.

Staying outside and making speeches isn't going to go anywhere, they have to make a statement.
Clogging up the NYSE means that you will cause another economic recession : every day, trillions of dollars around the world are being exchanged in that place electronically.

Remember Black Monday?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-09-28, 20:00   Link #16884
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Clogging up the NYSE means that you will cause another economic recession : every day, trillions of dollars around the world are being exchanged in that place electronically.

Remember Black Monday?
I'm of the opinion that a recession in the economy causes a stock market crash not a stock market crash causing the recession. Though Black Monday was more a case of mass hysteria, that quickly enough righted itself.

We shouldn't put the cart before the horse, the stock exchange doesn't directly effect anything, it's just a place where people value things and trade them.

The real business happens out there, in the rest of the world.

The people who will lose out are the wall street traders and bankers. Frankly, I'm already at the lowest strata of society (IE unemployed), I got nothing to lose, let them bleed and have the real world pierce their little bubble.
Old 2011-09-28, 20:05   Link #16885
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I'm of the opinion that a recession in the economy causes a stock market crash not a stock market crash causing the recession. Though Black Monday was more a case of mass hysteria, that quickly enough righted itself.

We shouldn't put the cart before the horse, the stock exchange doesn't directly effect anything, it's just a place where people value things and trade them.

The people who will lose out are the wall street traders and bankers. Frankly, I'm already at the lowest strata of society (IE unemployed), I got nothing to lose, let them bleed and have the real world pierce their little bubble.
I have to say, it might be worth the bloody nose on Main Street. It was infuriating watching those traders and bankers mocking the protest. It was just as clear a representation of the .01% trampling on the 99.99% you could ask for as a visual.
Old 2011-09-28, 20:14   Link #16886
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
This would be trespassing and could really turn into violence and riots then. Police would be allowed to use force etc. The whole thing would be stylized as terror attack of unpatriotic scum in the corporate media, and they would call for stricter harder laws to deal with such situations in the future... and before you can count to three you have the police state and similar political conditions like those 3rd world countries that are occasionaly raided to bring democracy by the gun... or something like this (spinning and cynism was intentional).

Their movement is just too small at the moment. But who knows maybe it grows if things keep developing like they do atm.

Well, if we consider the police being american cops... they were actually laid back. Police brutality is a little bit of an exageration here (they did not use water cannons yet ).
I don't know if I want to tempt fate with The Man here. If you think the current times are reactionary, check out what America was like in 1919-20. Incidentally, there was a bombing on Wall Street in 1920...September 11, to be exact. Unfortunately, just like the incident a few blocks away about 90 years later, it set a very grim tone for the following decade. The '20s was, of course, the decade of Prohibition, the push for the Hays Code...and also the zenith of the KKK. (They actually managed to influence state governments not just in the South, but also Oregon, Indiana, Ohio and even Maine.) It also marked the end of the great immigration wave, mainly because most recent immigrants (primarily Southern and Eastern Europeans at that time) were suddenly personae non gratiae by the early '20s.
Old 2011-09-28, 20:40   Link #16887
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
This would be trespassing and could really turn into violence and riots then. Police would be allowed to use force etc. The whole thing would be stylized as terror attack of unpatriotic scum in the corporate media, and they would call for stricter harder laws to deal with such situations in the future... and before you can count to three you have the police state and similar political conditions like those 3rd world countries that are occasionaly raided to bring democracy by the gun... or something like this (spinning and cynism was intentional).

Their movement is just too small at the moment. But who knows maybe it grows if things keep developing like they do atm.

Well, if we consider the police being american cops... they were actually laid back. Police brutality is a little bit of an exageration here (they did not use water cannons yet ).
this is going to depend on how discipline the protesters are. They need to emulate Gandhi and King with Non-Violent protest. Just occupied the first floor of Goldman-sach or Morgan Stanley. Chain themselves there and if the police use violence, let them.
Old 2011-09-28, 20:45   Link #16888
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

It feels like they didn't meet in NY with a clear message or the time/preparation to get larger numbers, just an idea that sounded like it would be a great way to stick it to the rich. People most sympathetic to them probably already know about the issues over the net. People who still only get their news from the TV or radio probably aren't even going to give a damn. Even if they kept bodies from going in to Wall Street, there's no way they can target electronic trading or even people trading off their phones or tablets or computers because it's so decentralized. They needed to do something symbolic, but what happened aside from a gathering and a march?

The IT age has bred a generation of indolent dissenters. People content to sit and yell on their corner of the internet about the ills and evils of the world, but not motivated enough to leave their chairs or wifi hotspot coffee shops.
Old 2011-09-28, 21:43   Link #16889
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The wifi at wall Street must be great though.
Old 2011-09-28, 22:01   Link #16890
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
The IT age has bred a generation of indolent dissenters. People content to sit and yell on their corner of the internet about the ills and evils of the world, but not motivated enough to leave their chairs or wifi hotspot coffee shops.
Aye.

I'm not condoning such an action, but I think it would be very interesting if a group popped up that started to assassinate all the American Super Rich.

The patricians need to learn to fear the plebs, need to learn from the Romans.
Old 2011-09-28, 22:20   Link #16891
AnimeFan188

Feds: US man planned to blow up Pentagon

"A man was arrested Wednesday and accused of plotting an assault on the Pentagon
and U.S. Capitol using remote-controlled aircraft armed with explosives — the latest of
several terrorism cases to spring from federal sting operations."

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/feds-us-man-pl...210116487.html
Old 2011-09-29, 01:42   Link #16892
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
Correct me if I wrong, but I am in shock, truly, I do not see anyone on this thread comment on the protests, How comes?
it's... meh

and no one's getting clubbed 1968 style

to me the only noteworthy thing about this was the internet uproar over a cop who's casually pepper spraying random demonstrators in the street like he was training cats with a spraybottle of water

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
"A man was arrested Wednesday and accused of plotting an assault on the Pentagon
and U.S. Capitol using remote-controlled aircraft armed with explosives — the latest of
several terrorism cases to spring from federal sting operations."

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/feds-us-man-pl...210116487.html
NBC should make a Dateline series on this the way they used to with Dateline's To Catch a Predator

it would make for gooood TV
Old 2011-09-29, 08:34   Link #16893
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:

You crazy? Without traders, those big bankers and big businesses would have miniature oligopolies because company shares are distributed amongst themselves as "public companies" would not have existed at all; there would be no place to sell their shares, and no middlemen to redistribute them to the masses.

The problem is with "hired traders", or fund managers / in-house traders for those big financial firms. Banks and businesses give them cuts for manipulating the markets in their favour against their competitions, and if there are no cuts given to them, they just use their gigantic leverages to turn the markets in their favour.

If we are to look at the "fragile blue marble" perspective, the real problem is with almost everyone - greedy businesses, useless governments and the general lazy and retarded population who refuse to educate themselves financially and prefer to throw ALL their money into "investment firms". It is an amazing potpourri of ignorance and perpetual greed combined that screwed up the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
this is going to depend on how discipline the protesters are. They need to emulate Gandhi and King with Non-Violent protest. Just occupied the first floor of Goldman-sach or Morgan Stanley. Chain themselves there and if the police use violence, let them.
I think they would pale in the presence of Blackwater - guys who spend part of their lives murdering for their country, and next half murdering for money.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-09-29, 08:41   Link #16894
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I have to say, it might be worth the bloody nose on Main Street. It was infuriating watching those traders and bankers mocking the protest. It was just as clear a representation of the .01% trampling on the 99.99% you could ask for as a visual.
Not only that, but... is anything really going to change if drastic measures aren't taken? We live in a fundamentally dysfunctional society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post

True, and I'm probably one of them. Thing is, there just isn't that big push of a collective resistance movement yet... Even though it's long overdue.
Old 2011-09-29, 09:03   Link #16895
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
I think they would pale in the presence of Blackwater - guys who spend part of their lives murdering for their country, and next half murdering for money.
Anyone would pale in such circonstance, but Wall Street isn't in Syria, they won't send the death squad against the protestors.
Old 2011-09-29, 09:07   Link #16896
Tom Bombadil

Rocket launches Chinese space lab

Man that's a nerve wrecking process. I never thought that the launch was so important, the whole Politburo was watching, president Hu Jintao, vice president Xi Jinping (aka next president), the current prime minister, the next prime minister, top dogs of the military, and a whole bunch of other people was either at the Beijing Space Center or at the launching center. I can't imagine what a disaster it will be if something fails, and I keep thinking how much security will be there to guarantee the safety of these leaders. There must be an whole swarm of army mobilized.
Old 2011-09-29, 09:14   Link #16897
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Anyone would pale in such circonstance, but Wall Street isn't in Syria, they won't send the death squad against the protestors.
They are still hired guns - they shoot for money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post

Man that's a nerve wrecking process. I never thought that the launch was so important, the whole Politburo was watching, president Hu Jintao, vice president Xi Jinping (aka next president), the current prime minister, the next prime minister, top dogs of the military, and a whole bunch of other people was either at the Beijing Space Center or at the launching center. I can't imagine what a disaster it will be if something fails, and I keep thinking how much security will be there to guarantee the safety of these leaders. There must be an whole swarm of army mobilized.
I bet a place in photoshoot run by fujoshis that the entire PLA is mobilised.

Maybe it is a good sign to US to stop screwing around and start playing the second round of space race again.

Old 2011-09-29, 09:23   Link #16898
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:

Yeah, imagine somethings go wrong, in the like of the Nedeline catastrophe, where scores of top military officers and scientists died.
Old 2011-09-29, 09:29   Link #16899
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Maybe it is a good sign to US to stop screwing around and start playing the second round of space race again.
Well, it is true that the US might wants to give NASA a bit of nudge and some more cash, but there is hardly a race, considering that what the Chinese are doing now is basically what was done in the 60s last century.
Old 2011-09-29, 09:44   Link #16900
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Well, it is true that the US might wants to give NASA a bit of nudge and some more cash, but there is hardly a race, considering that what the Chinese are doing now is basically what was done in the 60s last century.
The US went back to square one after the collapse of USSR. Just spending more money on subsidies and politicians and nothing on space exploration, so technically speaking, they are almost equals.

We would have reached Mars right now if they continued blazing ahead. But they just shut down the shuttle program and nobody gives a shit about developing a replacement.

Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international