ganbaru
books-eater youkai

U.S. agents tracked bin Laden son-in-law for years before arrest
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92800Y20130309
Old 2013-03-09, 05:34   Link #26882
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
So, as a Russian, I'm guessing you disagree with their perspective? Why? (I'm just curious, not trying to argue with you or anything.)
I generally disagree with their perspective because it's always the same - trying their best to portray every event as negative as it could be. Sometimes it works, but lately it's just sounds like something from a fiction book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Maybe what is written here is more accurate from your view as a Russian?
More or less

Quote:
In today's Russia, March 8 has lost its feminist flavor. More and more it resembles a combination of Mother's Day and Valentine's Day, draining men's imagination and pockets. The date occupies second place (after New Year's) for flower and gift sales.
True. Because there is no more reason behind so called "feminist flavor".

Quote:
Russian women still have to put up with great inequality, and their lives have become demonstrably worse in the past 15 years in terms of education, employment, career, and security, according to a poll published by Rossiiskaya Gazeta.
False. But it's not about western pesperctive anymore. The idea itself is wrong.
There is no greater inequality - some women just realised, that with gaining the same rights and freedoms they haven't lost their natural... how should I put it? Purpose?

Career? I work in systems integrator compamy, mainly in oil and gas industry.
Little less than 50% of employees are women. Even on top positions.

Education? I can't even think of an example of inequality here.
Old 2013-03-09, 17:00   Link #26883
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Syrian Rebels attack the Golan Heights in northern Israel due to the absence of UN peacekeepers in the area.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...354244,00.html
Old 2013-03-09, 17:24   Link #26884
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil1 View Post
Syrian Rebels attack the Golan Heights in northern Israel due to the absence of UN peacekeepers in the area.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...354244,00.html
Certainly not a very clever move considering that the rebels are going nails out trying to find support from everywhere.
Old 2013-03-09, 17:29   Link #26885
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
They may hate their brothers, but they all have the common enemy of Israel. That's one thing they can agree with. Sad but true.
Old 2013-03-09, 17:40   Link #26886
ChainLegacy
廉頗

You'd think they have more pressing matters to focus their attention on. I was listening to public radio earlier and the news team was saying how the moderate rebels who aren't as religiously driven are basically under-supplied and being strong-armed out of the spotlight by the Islamists who are having support funneled in from across the Middle East... Pretty sad really because putting the extremists in a position of authority probably won't be a good thing if they do end up victorious in the end.
Old 2013-03-09, 17:48   Link #26887
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
You'd think they have more pressing matters to focus their attention on. I was listening to public radio earlier and the news team was saying how the moderate rebels who aren't as religiously driven are basically under-supplied and being strong-armed out of the spotlight by the Islamists who are having support funneled in from across the Middle East... Pretty sad really because putting the extremists in a position of authority probably won't be a good thing if they do end up victorious in the end.
Sad but true. Not much good will come out of this as long as those people allow mixing up religion and politics, which has hever been good at anything from as far back as we can go.
Old 2013-03-09, 17:49   Link #26888
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Certainly not a very clever move considering that the rebels are going nails out trying to find support from everywhere.
Those particular rebels clearly aren't and the rebels that do don't have will to stop them because like it or not, the extremists are the only ones helping them. That's how ugly and complicated it's become.
Old 2013-03-09, 18:27   Link #26889
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Part of the problem when there's not actually one cohesive "group of rebels". It ain't like Star Wars
Old 2013-03-09, 23:37   Link #26890
Sumeragi
Banned

Exactly why I believe the rebels need to be defeated.
Old 2013-03-09, 23:52   Link #26891
Ridwan

I just want Syria to have Turkish patronage cemented over it immediately. But Assad is now hostile and the rebels unreliable.
Old 2013-03-09, 23:57   Link #26892
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

It's actually shaping up to be very similar to African tribal warfare. Too many groups with too many different goals and ideals.
Old 2013-03-10, 00:14   Link #26893
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridwan View Post
I just want Syria to have Turkish patronage cemented over it immediately. But Assad is now hostile and the rebels unreliable.
This. Nothing beats the Turks when it comes to show others in the region how to live without any deep involvement of religion in the society despite having a Muslim past; hell, they also enjoy beer and good things about life.
Old 2013-03-10, 00:17   Link #26894
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

In China, public anger over secrecy on environment
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92900R20130310

Falklands votes in sovereignty referendum rejected by Argentina
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92901620130310
Still beating the same dead horse.
Old 2013-03-10, 00:52   Link #26895
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Since the people of the Falklands don't want to leave the Crown, the only way to get those lands into Argentina would be by force or very long term change in the locals ideals toward Argentina.

Argentina's president must know there is no way the UN will hand the islands to them, nor can they take it by force. Even with the UK's national defense budget, they can still defend the Falklands like they did in 1982.
Old 2013-03-10, 02:14   Link #26896
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

AF removes RPA airstrike number from summary

Quote:
As scrutiny and debate over the use of remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) by the American military increased last month, the Air Force reversed a policy of sharing the number of airstrikes launched from RPAs in Afghanistan and quietly scrubbed those statistics from previous releases kept on their website.

Last October, Air Force Central Command started tallying weapons releases from RPAs, broken down into monthly updates. At the time, AFCENT spokeswoman Capt. Kim Bender said the numbers would be put out every month as part of a service effort to “provide more detailed information on RPA ops in Afghanistan.”
http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/20...ummary-030813/

Old 2013-03-10, 02:27   Link #26897
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Since the people of the Falklands don't want to leave the Crown, the only way to get those lands into Argentina would be by force or very long term change in the locals ideals toward Argentina.

Argentina's president must know there is no way the UN will hand the islands to them, nor can they take it by force. Even with the UK's national defense budget, they can still defend the Falklands like they did in 1982.
Falklands is barely defended during 1982 because of the distance required to be covered by the UK. The British had to deploy their best men, namely the Royal Marine Commandos and the SAS in bulk in order to defeat the Argentine conscripts, rather than regular army troops.

Although there is a significantly larger RMC force on the island today, the Argentine's military and their improvements still has the ability to overpower the British forces in a medium-to-long term conflict.

Come to think of it, I wonder if it is still a form of Spanish-English rivalry that has lasted from the colonial times since the English defeated the Spanish Armada in 1588. Though Spain doesn't seem to have any dislike for the British other than that Barclays Premier League is more popular than La Liga - they are just jealous.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-03-10, 02:43   Link #26898
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well and Gibraltar.
Old 2013-03-10, 09:29   Link #26899
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Although there is a significantly larger RMC force on the island today, the Argentine's military and their improvements still has the ability to overpower the British forces in a medium-to-long term conflict.
Isn't the Argentinian military in horrible shape compared to 1982?

I mean, excuse me if I question ARgentinia's ability to project force onto the island when their navy can't even keep their ships from capsizing in harbor.
Old 2013-03-10, 10:19   Link #26900
Helius

Afghan leader alleges US, Taliban are colluding

Didn't expect reality to be such a cliche as to reflect fiction, from Gundam no less - Federation secretly collabortes with the Neo Zeon movement so that it can justify its presence and relevance in the Earth sphere. (Gundam UC)
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international