AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-07-04, 12:38   Link #41
Botan_TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'm also annoyed they didn't even mention a few questions, such as "Where is the teacher's head", and "if the MC did it, when did he clean himself up? Why come back to the scene afterwards and take a nap?"
Maybe they have skipped investigation part and so made whole characters introduction in first episode? If they go back and do that part in second episode then it will be all right.
Botan_TM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 13:33   Link #42
Yamada II

Quote:
I'm also annoyed they didn't even mention a few questions, such as "Where is the teacher's head", and "if the MC did it, when did he clean himself up? Why come back to the scene afterwards and take a nap?"
That's exactly one part of the mystery here. Why was Kobayashi at the scene of the crime when he supposedly didn't commit the crime is one of the questions. Of course they'll answer this question later on when they get to the mystery solving part.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 18:36   Link #43
Draco Spirit

Seems ok so far and certainly has a nice style to it for a start, but with a mystery show like this, the proof of its quality going to be how the mystery's are resolved.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 18:47   Link #44
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Spirit View Post
Seems ok so far and certainly has a nice style to it for a start, but with a mystery show like this, the proof of its quality going to be how the mystery's are resolved.
True indeed. Also because apparently, despite the novels being extremely popular and appreciated, this episode completely departed from the plot of the original "Human chair" story. So we can't even count on the skill of the original author to carry the writing either.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 21:57   Link #45
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Uhh

Now, I haven't read a Akechi Kogoro novel in like... what, 30 years? But I certainly don't remember Akechi being some brooding dickbag teenager. He was like, nice and cheery.
And while I don't remember much about the Detective Boys in detail, the main kid sure wasn't a delicious trap.
The story doesn't seem to follow the "human chair" book either, just borrowing elements from it.

Yeah yeah I know I know "modernize". But I dunno, it seems kinda uncomfortable to completely rewrite something beyond recognition, and then slapping the long-dead author's name on it.

sooooooooooo..... Are we going to see Kaijin 20 menso (The Man With 20 Faces) as the arch nemesis soon?
Old 2015-07-04, 22:50   Link #46
FateAnomaly

I suspect the MC classmate. The one that mention that the victim was turned into a shape like that. There is a news blackout so she shouldn't have known about it.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 02:17   Link #47
soularc55
7th dimensional king

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
It's gonna take me quite a few drinks to convince me that that's a guy...
This definitely is a series that can go both ways, but I certainly found the premiere good enough. I blame Detective Conan!

Speculation time: The new teacher (Nakahara Mai is channeling her inner Rena, perhaps in more ways then one?) has cut marks all over wrist. Which definitely makes her suspicious. That and she isn't in the opening. As for how she got Kobayashi's finger prints, perhaps she did something when she was glomping him?
Modify message
I think that new teacher is in the opening that has the weird jaw mask and a baymax doll... I think she is a master of disguise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
I suspect the MC classmate. The one that mention that the victim was turned into a shape like that. There is a news blackout so she shouldn't have known about it.
There Is the new teacher where she was holding kobayashi's hand for a moment thus being able to imprint fingerprints without him noticing .

Last edited by Flower; 2015-07-05 at 02:30. Reason: Please do not double post - use the edit button instead.
soularc55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 02:22   Link #48
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iby View Post
I wonder why the hell are people calling him a trap here. He's a (girlish) boy who's dressed in the male uniform. You would only be able to call him a trap if he turns out to be a reversed trap (which won't be a case anyway).
Denial is more than just a river in Africa.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 03:10   Link #49
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
On one hand, if he's the culprit, who's going to be the straight man after he leaves?

On the other, yeah, the bad guy is some psycho stalker who obsessively collected tools the MC touched, and was able to drug him (maybe by offering him a drink?). So, yeah, best friend is pretty suspect.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 03:13   Link #50
Tenzen12

"Straight" man huh
Old 2015-07-05, 07:16   Link #51
FateAnomaly

I don't mean the MC gay friend. I mean the girl with braided hair that is shaded out that talked to the MC last when he is in the classroom.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 12:00   Link #52
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

What, the shadow people are potential suspects too? Harsh.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 12:36   Link #53
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
What, the shadow people are potential suspects too? Harsh.
As long as you know their names its theoretically still fair game for a mystery.

On that note, if it even was a girl, I doubt it was anyone else but the new teacher.
She is a bit too cheerful and those cat ears she is wearing don't really fit to normal characters in a mystery.

I'd like to think that we have yet to be introduced to the crime given that we were only given maybe 1 clue and 1 easy to get deduction.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 13:46   Link #54
Salva
Princess since baptism.

Oh my, I got strong Ghost Hunt vibes from this. Hell main character seems a bit like Mai, although I didn't doubt for even a moment that it's a guy. I would actually appreciate it more if this was a girl. I like MC's personality. The detective seems a very interesting character too. So far I liiiiiiiiiike it.

I also found it weird that someone actually knew how the teacher looked like as a corpse. But I really wonder what's with the new teacher's wounds. She had wounds on her wrists which MC noticed and she realised he noticed? I don't like her.
Old 2015-07-05, 16:22   Link #55
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

I feel like I relate to Akechi and the kid on a much deeper level than is acceptable and now I fear for my sanity. No, really

I know they are taking huge creative liberties with the source material, but in this case I'm totally fine with that, and I really like what they've done so far. I'd rather have a different (creative) take on familiar material than an attempt to slavishly imitate it. It somehow seems more interesting this way, but ymmv.
Old 2015-07-05, 16:27   Link #56
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
I feel like I relate to Akechi and the kid on a much deeper level than is acceptable and now I fear for my sanity. No, really

I know they are taking huge creative liberties with the source material, but in this case I'm totally fine with that, and I really like what they've done so far. I'd rather have a different (creative) take on familiar material than an attempt to slavishly imitate it. It somehow seems more interesting this way, but ymmv.
I don't have a problem with the context, I just feel uncomfortable about slapping the author's name all over the place when he had no involvement in writing this version.

Imagine watching an adaptation of Alice in Wonderland where Alice and female Mad Hatter is in yuri relationship and the queen is a jealous loli who wants in on the action, then calling the title "Lewis Carroll Wonders: Originally written by Lewis Carroll"

I mean, I have no problem with say, "不思議の国の少年アリス" - Boy Alice in Wonderland by Tamayo Kobayashi, a wacky homoerotic manga with little resemblance of the original work.
Old 2015-07-05, 19:24   Link #57
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Let's not veer too off into tangents here, okay?
Old 2015-07-05, 19:29   Link #58
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I see what they did. To introduce Ranpo's works and Yoshio Kobayashi to a new generation, the anime tweaked him. He's gone from a guy who can disguise himself as a female to a shota with feminine qualities.

I'll just see how the stories evolve.
Old 2015-07-05, 20:56   Link #59
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Very nice first episode.

On the whole, I like the distinct artistic approach the show is taken. There's certain specific artistic elements that I'm iffy about (the whole silhouetted background characters, mainly), but the overall effect is a good one that makes the show stand out well to me. A quirky show like this probably shouldn't have an overly standard or conventional anime art-style and animation approach, so I'm glad to see the more "artsy" approach here.

It's a good mystery murder to kick things off with, and I'm glad that the first mystery wasn't solved in just the first episode. Hopefully this show will let its mysteries breath a bit, so there's more time to speculate on them. And also so the payoffs might feel richer and more rewarding.

I'll admit that I had been hoping that the lead "girl" would in fact be a girl. Based on the character design, I was kinda hoping for a younger version of Psycho-Pass' Akane Tsunemori. I also thought that Yoshio was a girl during the first two or three minutes of Episode 1. But thankfully a lot of male pronouns were used to refer to Yoshio early on, so at least the anime show was mostly upfront about Yoshio being a guy.

Aside from this initial disappointment, I'm fine with Yoshio being a guy.
Old 2015-07-06, 03:48   Link #60
Beobachter

Yeah, when I first saw Ranpo's name in the title I also expected a direct adaptation, but after seeing the promo visual an the description "inspired by" I've lowered my expectation accordingly. Would've loved a presentation along the lines of Aoi Bungaku's if it was up to me~

Anyway, impression. I had a mixed feeling with the first episode. Liked the general mood, aesthetic, and the self-aware reconstruction bits with spotlight and all. Not a fan with the 'modern touches'; character design like the kuromimi teacher and several similarly ridiculous-looking characters from the OP don't gel well with the strong horror element of the show, methink. I also kind of prefer my detective to have a strong moral compass, so not a fan of Kogoro's 2cool4school 'tude and Kobayashi's disaffected mannerism. It's only 1 ep though, so hopefully they eventually grow on me.

But yeah, I can tolerate the recurring characters being asses if the mysteries themselves are great. Now that the main players been properly introduced, next ep should feature more reconstruction, clues gathering, and expansion of suspect pool.
Beobachter is offline   Reply With Quote