AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-08-18, 16:41   Link #21
kyouray
2D > 3D

Second trailer : http://www.michikotohatchin.com/stor...r02/index.html
Old 2008-08-18, 18:00   Link #22
Fellini 8.5
Film Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouray View Post
D'oh, beat me to it!

ANN has a tiny bit of expanded info in their post about the new trailer as well:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...otage-streamed

This is shaping up very nicely. I'm certain I'm going to enjoy it.
Fellini 8.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 18:54   Link #23
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Is it just me, or is the second trailer completely full of shit we've seen a hundred million times already?

Seriously, I want to be enthused, but this doesn't look or feel SPECIAL! It looks competent, but from manglobe I want SPECIAL.

The second trailer has nothing that gets me exited at all. Nothing out of ordinary, for that matter, with the possible exception of the whole ubiquitous mestizo thing. Bar that, you might as well call it "Noir with sleeker animation".

Seriously, where's the pizazz?
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 20:08   Link #24
ZODDGUTS

It's looking great.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 20:58   Link #25
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Is it just me, or is the second trailer completely full of shit we've seen a hundred million times already?
Except that there are delicious, dark-skinned beauties throughout >.>.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 21:13   Link #26
solomon

Much as I expect from Manglobe, looks fun sleek and hip. With a feel all it's own (which is rare in anime these days)
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 23:46   Link #27
ZODDGUTS

Looks like the main characters are actually latinas or part latina not Gyaru gals. The dark skin main character name is Michiko Malandro and the short girl name is Hana "Hatchin" Morenos not sure why they didn't go for a full latin name, it's bit weird seeing their first name being japanese guess they didn't want to a alienate the japanese audience?

Old 2008-08-19, 00:04   Link #28
aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Looks like the main characters are actually latinas or part latina not Gyaru gals. The dark skin main character name is Michiko Malandro and the short girl name is Hana "Hatchin" Morenos not sure why they didn't go for a full latin name, it's bit weird seeing their first name being japanese guess they didn't want to a alienate the japanese audience?

The last manglobe anime (ergo proxy) may as well have been US exclusive, didn't seem to appeal in Japan whatsoever. I guess they're at least trying with this one...

For the record it looks like El Cazador...except with good animation and art...and most likely not total crap
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 08:50   Link #29
kissthestick

Quote:

Seriously, I want to be enthused, but this doesn't look or feel SPECIAL! It looks competent, but from manglobe I want SPECIAL.

The second trailer has nothing that gets me exited at all. Nothing out of ordinary, for that matter, with the possible exception of the whole ubiquitous mestizo thing. Bar that, you might as well call it "Noir with sleeker animation".

Seriously, where's the pizazz?
needs more loli's lol amirite?
kissthestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 15:35   Link #30
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Yes it is just you. Among the garbage which are uncalled-for sequels and originality into new uncertain yet-to-be crap as a excuse for imagination, this show ofers some promise for refinement and class. Nobody can really state if it's good or not, and I do have some doubts about it's integrity, but saying that trailer is full of your so called shit leaves me to wonder if you even bothered watching it from start to end.
Old 2008-08-20, 21:56   Link #31
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I liked the trailer. The thought of having anime with Latin music is exciting.

Is Latin music popular in Japan?
Old 2008-08-20, 22:37   Link #32
kissthestick

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I liked the trailer. The thought of having anime with Latin music is exciting.

Is Latin music popular in Japan?
mot sure, i know other urban music like hip hop, R&B and reggae is though
kissthestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-21, 14:50   Link #33
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
this show ofers some promise for refinement and class.
Not to start an unnecessary flame, but what exactly is offering that promise?

Apart from the production finesse, which is par for the course (I would be unbelievably shocked if M&H was shoddily made), I don't really see anything special.

- Story — breathtakingly common
- Characters — breathtakingly common
- Setting — uncommon, but not unheard of
- Style — haven't seen much yet to judge
- Music — quite common. Kanno has done this style to death. I suppose having a Brazilian for a composer is refreshing, but the music itself isn't exactly original.

Again, not trying to start a flame, but I am honestly incredulous at the raptured applause M&H has been receiving. Many, if not all, must be prejudging it on the merits of prior manglobe works, and it's a valid point. But even based on that metric I cannot help finding this series to be on a downward spiral compared to Ergo Proxy or Champloo in terms of originality.

If you compare every promising new anime you watch to a bottom-of-the-barrel trash, then you'd naturally think that every choice you make is excellent. I don't really think that this approach is all that useful. Personally, I stay away from "bottom-of-the-barrel" altogether, so my taste must be perfect and beyond reproach. And yes, that was sarcasm. 8)

Seriously, what do you see in here? If you could explain in detail, then perhaps my opinion might change. 8)

PS: To be absolutely clear about this, no, I don't really feel so strongly about it. But since my opinion was rebuffed so thoroughly, I have no other option than to explain myself.
Old 2008-08-21, 15:04   Link #34
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I don't know what you're really expecting though. Samurai Champloo was just a hip hop take on generic feudal action anime, and Ergo Proxy was really just another boring wannabe cyberpunk series with a 2-color palette and an ambigious ending. I don't really expect much from Manglobe at all. This time they're doing a funky latino style road movie series with two chicks. I'm just glad it's by Manglobe and not Bee Train honestly.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-21, 15:27   Link #35
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Next time some anime has Andy Warhol or ganja-smoking ninjas, call me. I will want to see that, as well as any other series that team has done. 8)
Old 2008-08-21, 15:54   Link #36
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Next time some anime has Andy Warhol or ganja-smoking ninjas, call me. I will want to see that, as well as any other series that team has done. 8)
Yeah but none of that was in the Samurai Champloo trailers either. If you compare the Samurai Champloo and Ergo Proxy trailers with Michiko, you'll see the exact same thing. An "interesting" idea that has been done many times before, good music, lots good animation.... and that's it.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-21, 17:12   Link #37
ZODDGUTS

True but you know what it looks like I'll be fun to watch which is what matters the most for me and I'm sure of others as well.

Samurai Champloo was fun to watch and had lots of great action scenes. Didn't care for Ergo Proxy though I prefer the superior version Texhnolyze.
Old 2008-08-21, 19:00   Link #38
aardvark

I think you're also being a bit too critical on the trailer MrProphet, especially in comparison to past manglobe works.

I don't think I need to remind you that the trailer for Ergo Proxy was essentially an exercise in Bait and Switch. The trailer made it look like Cyberpunk anime #213, instead it was....well whatever it was that Ergo Proxy actually turned out to be. The trailer sure as hell never hinted at things such as Pinos Dreamland!

Same with Champloo, as far as my memory goes the show never really advertised the more....out there portions of it. Only the "Watanabe and Hip-Hop samurais!"

For me, it looks typical manglobe, even without hinting at the wierd stuff. And if the show DOES have any wierdness to deliver, then the trailer won't exactly spoil that, now will it
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-21, 20:13   Link #39
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Seriously, I don't want to make a big deal out of it, but since you are throwing so many gems to me... oh, why not. Just don't blame me afterwards. 8)

Quote:
I don't think I need to remind you that the trailer for Ergo Proxy was essentially an exercise in Bait and Switch.
Doesn't matter. Both the Bait and the Switch were amazing in their "This Has Never Been Done This Way" quality. Same for Samurai Champloo. You might say "oh, just samurai with hip-hop". I say "Samurai? WITH HIP-HOP? FUCK YEAH!" It's never been done before. Moreover, it's never been done before with this amount of absurdity.

Again, I'm not saying M&H wouldn't have any of that in the end. I'm just trying to understand, how you get any of it from the trailer. IT being not the comedy or the animation or the style. IT being this something special that makes the anime different, unique. original, never-been-done-before. Samurai Champloo had it in the trailer. Ergo Proxy had it in the trailer. Michiko & Hatchin doesn't. It doesn't have anything. It feels like Noir with Vespa. I love Noir and I love Vespa, but fuck, that's the last century. You don't make that kind of anime these days and get away with it.

The first trailer had me pumped. It was very HIPPIE. It was counterculture. It was very 60's. I loved that. The second trailer had hot tanned chicks, scooters and a bratty kid. I yawned.

Again, I'll be happy if it knocks me out of the park. I love manglobe and I love Sayo Yamamoto's work. But I really don't see what got you all so happy. Unless it's just the fact that it doesn't look terrible. That I give you. 8)

So, I really don't want to sound negative. Just perplexed.

PS: Let's just leave it at that. I don't want to argue.

Last edited by MrProphet; 2008-08-21 at 20:46.
Old 2008-08-22, 08:55   Link #40
Siegel Clyne

Famous Hispanic and Brazilian Women: Real Life Counterparts of Michiko and Hatchin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Uh, latino? I think they mean latina unless she's actually a he.

Latino(a)/hispanic isn't a race but an ethnic group they can be either white, Indian (Native American), Asian or black, most latino/hispanics are mix though.

Michiko the older girl with the tanish skin color seems to be either a mix of white and Indian or white and black, looks to me their going for that Purito Rican type look White/Black. Though not sure what's up with the name Michiko.

Latin American female celebrities who have partial Japanese ancestry typically do not have Japanese first names: popular Uruguayan Mexican actress and model Barbara Mori (born in Montevideo, Uruguay* to father Yuyi Mori, a person of Japanese descent, and mother Rosario Ochoa, but has lived in Mexico most of her life); Brazilian supermodel Aline Nakashima; Brazilian supermodel Juliana Imai; Brazilian actress and television host Daniele Suzuki; Brazilian model and reality star Sabrina Sato; and so on.

(Click on links above to see pics of these famous part-Japanese latinas and mulheres brasileiras.)

Maybe the Japanese names, if not Japanese ethnic background, help Japanese audiences more closely identify with the characters?

Barbara Mori is one real hot wasabi asado tamale

EDIT: Barbara Mori has an older sister, actress Kenya Mori, and a brother, Kintaro Mori.

According to this AOL Latino Entretenimiento interview (in Spanish), Barbara Mori's paternal grandfather is of Japanese origin.

Barbara Mori says her father Yuyi Mori, her sister Kenya Mori, her brother Kintaro Mori, and she herself have Japanese kanji tattoos of their family name, Mori. Barbara has the Mori kanji tattoo on her lower back.

Mori means forest in Japanese.

Mori is a typical Japanese family name, as in Riyo Mori of Japan, Miss Universe 2007.

Yuyi is the Spanish spelling for the Japanese given names Yuji and Yuuji. The Spanish "j" is pronounced like the English "h." The Spanish "y" is sometimes pronounced like the English "j."

Kenya can be a Japanese given name as well as the name of an East African nation, while Kintaro is most definitely a Japanese male given name.

AOL Latino Tu Vida: Cocinando con Barbara Mori (AOL Latino Your Life: Cooking with Barbara Mori) article says that Barbara Mori spent some time living with her paternal grandparents of Japanese ancestry.

*Along with Argentina and Costa Rica, Uruguay is one of the few countries in Latin America having a population predominantly of white European Caucasian background.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne; 2008-11-10 at 06:06.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote