AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-03, 09:48   Link #5961
cubicjack
Kino fanboy

Kanzaki SS part 7 summary:
Spoiler for kanzaki ss pt 7:

Part 7 and 8 are actually one arc, but I'll post the other part later.
Old 2010-11-03, 10:05   Link #5962
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Ahh, the part I've been waiting for, one question though- What is a Valkyrie? Is she born as one or do you have to train to become one?
Old 2010-11-03, 10:09   Link #5963
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Ahh, the part I've been waiting for, one question though- What is a Valkyrie? Is she born as one or do you have to train to become one?
Quoting wiki:
Quote:
In Norse mythology, a valkyrie (from Old Norse valkyrja "chooser of the slain") is one of a host of female figures who decide who will die in battle. The valkyries bring their chosen to the afterlife hall of the slain, Valhalla, ruled over by the god Odin, where the deceased warriors become einherjar. There, when the einherjar are not preparing for the events of Ragnarök, the valkyries bear them mead. Valkyries also appear as lovers of heroes and other mortals, where they are sometimes described as the daughters of royalty, sometimes accompanied by ravens, and sometimes connected to swans.

About Hel:
Quote:
In Norse mythology, Hel is a being who presides over a realm of the same name, where she receives a portion of the dead. Hel is attested in the Poetic Edda, compiled in the 13th century from earlier traditional sources, and the Prose Edda, written in the 13th century by Snorri Sturluson. In addition, she is mentioned in poems recorded in Heimskringla and Egils saga that date from the 9th and 10th century respectively. An episode in the Latin work Gesta Danorum, written in the 12th century by Saxo Grammaticus, is generally considered to refer to Hel, and Hel may appear on various Migration Period bracteates.

In the Poetic Edda, Prose Edda, and Heimskringla, Hel is referred to as a daughter of Loki, and to "go to Hel" is to die. In the Prose Edda book Gylfaginning, Hel is described as having been appointed by the god Odin as ruler of a realm of the same name, located in Niflheim. In the same source, her appearance is described as half-black and half-flesh colored, and as further having a gloomy, down-cast appearance. The Prose Edda details that Hel rules over vast mansions, her servants in her underworld realm, and as playing a key role in the attempted resurrection of the god Baldr.
Old 2010-11-03, 10:13   Link #5964
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

...I meant what is a 'Valkyrie' in Toaruverse She's obviously human so the standard explanation shouldn't count.
Old 2010-11-03, 10:26   Link #5965
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
...I meant what is a 'Valkyrie' in Toaruverse She's obviously human so the standard explanation shouldn't count.
Just like the saints who are based on the concept of saints in real life but with a great power, with some kind of blessings from Heaven (for the valkyries should be Valhalla, right? ) and the proper teachings to train her as one. I hope more details to be clear.

And LOL at calling Brunhild, Hel, does the author has in mind to include Hel's brothers, Fenrir and Jormungand in the novels for Odinus' saga??
Old 2010-11-03, 10:34   Link #5966
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Perhaps she's similar to Acqua? The position and magic of a valkyrie is something you have to acquire.

Anyway, a question. I had thought that Bardway and Kanzaki were friends, but the summary clears up that misunderstanding. Did they become friends later on or something?

I wonder if Kanzaki is going to do a 'befriending' on Brunhild, though?

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2010-11-03, 10:36   Link #5967
Miraluka
Banned

Kaori and Bardway ... friends? No way , the latter is too spoiled even for a ice lady like Kaori. And that, says much.

About these mini-novels I noticed there is a frequent use of the number 3, maybe it has a special meaning in the Norse magic.

Last edited by Miraluka; 2010-11-03 at 10:49.
Old 2010-11-03, 13:09   Link #5968
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Ahh, wasn't it Kaori and Bardway in that beach pic? The one where Kaori's wearing the one piece?

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2010-11-03, 13:21   Link #5969
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Ahh, wasn't it Kaori and Bardway in that beach pic? The one where Kaori's wearing the one piece?
Nop, Bardawy is the little girl in a dress, the other one in a swuimsuit is a non named character called tour guide girl.
Old 2010-11-03, 14:11   Link #5970
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post

I wonder if Kanzaki is going to do a 'befriending' on Brunhild, though?

Doesn't she. Isnt that a pic in one of the Index SS?

Also, Wondering if anyone thought the same. Is there a probability touma is part of the L.6 project? Like, accelerator becoming strong so touma could beat him and become strong? Then so on and so forth till he "awakens" his power. Cuz the way i view it touma is supposed to be "the one higher than god"
Old 2010-11-03, 18:33   Link #5971
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Just like the saints who are based on the concept of saints in real life but with a great power, with some kind of blessings from Heaven (for the valkyries should be Valhalla, right? ) and the proper teachings to train her as one. I hope more details to be clear.
So... We don't know yet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
And LOL at calling Brunhild, Hel, does the author has in mind to include Hel's brothers, Fenrir and Jormungand in the novels for Odinus' saga??
No, I'm certain it's just the Norse way of calling someone the "Devil".

But everybody knows the real Hel wears glasses
Old 2010-11-03, 18:37   Link #5972
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Spoiler for For size:

Valhalla.

Spoiler for SS2:
Old 2010-11-03, 19:33   Link #5973
ellifeedn
Thinker

Has the series ever talked about the Muslims? Now I know talking about them is a touchy subject, but really, they number about 1.5 billion believers (a lot of whom are actually devout) and are a significant part of the world order. I'll be surprised if the author never includes them at any point in the series while including an obscure South American religion that probably has a recurring appearance (meaning showing up at least twice).
Old 2010-11-03, 19:42   Link #5974
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Now I know talking about them is a touchy subject
Why should it be? I have no qualms against any religion speaking its feelings. Only when they become overzealous holier-than-thou jackwads that I say "no more."

Are you Muslim? I understand how it would feel when Christianity is mentioned so much more often than Islam in anime that you enjoy. Maybe he will? I hope he includes everyone in fact; the great history of Islam is (really) much larger than Christianity itself. I think it would make for a great topic in TAMNI.
Old 2010-11-03, 19:53   Link #5975
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Has the series ever talked about the Muslims? Now I know talking about them is a touchy subject, but really, they number about 1.5 billion believers (a lot of whom are actually devout) and are a significant part of the world order. I'll be surprised if the author never includes them at any point in the series while including an obscure South American religion that probably has a recurring appearance (meaning showing up at least twice).
They're mentioned by Biagio Busoni in the volume 11.
Old 2010-11-03, 20:26   Link #5976
ellifeedn
Thinker

I'm not Muslim or a part of any religion, though I sort of agree with the ideas of Deism. I only say talking about them is touchy because of all the extremists and the violent actions they cause and that having Muslim magicians attack Academy City may reflect real life a little too closely for some people's taste.
Old 2010-11-03, 20:28   Link #5977
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
I'm not Muslim or a part of any religion, though I sort of agree with the ideas of Deism. I only say talking about them is touchy because of all the extremists and the violent actions they cause and that having Muslim magicians attack Academy City may reflect real life a little too closely for some people's taste.
True, some may take their over-exaggerative fears to the worst level. However, it does not mean that one's imagination can be limited because an extremist group of a relatively peaceful religion. People assume more often than not that Islam is violent and evil, all because of such things as 9/11.

Quite sad really.
Old 2010-11-03, 20:30   Link #5978
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

You could say the same about the RCC's antagonism towards AC for their science and heresy. Crusades, anyone? It's just that people relate to Islam in a more touchy manner because it's a recent event.
Old 2010-11-03, 20:32   Link #5979
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Religion as a whole may have been good at first to get people to abide by moral standards and ethics, but it only serves to hinder our progression today.
Old 2010-11-03, 21:31   Link #5980
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Being a Muslim myself (why hello there people), you would think I'd react negatively against even the mere mentioning of the word "Muslims bad!" by that one character because for some reason, the majority of Muslims I know don't like any negative portrayal of their people and religion in fiction.

I however feel neutral about that, one of the reasons is that I'm reading a fictional story and as of such, I do know what to believe and what I shouldn't. Besides, it's a work of fiction after all and I'm enjoying it for the laughs. That shouldn't hurt as long as I don't take the fiction seriously and begin, say, considering this series as a religious book - which, of course, would make me get the label "INFIDEL" straight away by others.

While a good portion of other people like me are being neutral about this, I do worry what will happen if the sensitive ones do hear about Biagio Busoni (whatever his name is) though. Oh, the horror of protests I can imagine going on everywhere!

... Religious uproar regarding content of fictional works... where have I heard that before? NGE?

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen