AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Which ones do you like?
I like AMVs and hate MADs 3 9.38%
I like MADs and hate AMVs 7 21.88%
I like both 18 56.25%
I hate both 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-03-26, 01:51   Link #61
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morisato View Post
As much as you want to localize the terms manga and anime in America... it's not going to happen. People need these classifications so they know what they're watching/buying.
Instead of a long winded reply, I am gonna ask one simple question:

If a non-Japanese AMV maker creates a very spectacular AMV and uploads it to Nico Nico, is it wrong for that person to label it as a MAD?

Want my short answer? I'll tell you later. The truth is: this is happening all the time. Likewise, the converse is also true, where MADs are found in YouTube and labeled as AMVs. Again, is this wrong?
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 03:26   Link #62
MartianMage

What's important here is to recognize certain distinctions when trying to categorize further into sub-categories.

Take for example this Korean writer and artist using "japanese style" art and using right to left instead of left to right to write his works. Are we going to classify his work as manhua because the creator is Korean? Hell no. It's classified as manga because he's intentionally using characteristics used by mangas.

So if someone makes an anime music video and uses characteristics that are usually seen in MADs and goes as far as to post it in NicoNico then it should be classified as MAD.

A chinese cook can't cook filipino food and call it chinese food can he?
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 09:11   Link #63
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
AMVs are my favorite source for advertising anime series or simply for reminiscing on a series I watched. The hard thing is finding a decent AMV (usually made by a group of several experienced animators/editors). The far majority is crap =/

MADs on the other hand are usually always amazing with the few that are strange and incomprehensible. But their all original with so much work put into custom animation and/or voices/dialogue.

I like MADs probably more than AMVs, but watch AMVs more, my listening skills are not very good for japanese, and I'm illiterate =/
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 13:26   Link #64
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Hm, I'm going to go slightly off-topic for a bit and tell you guys one good way to look for (mostly) good AMVs. AnimeMusicVideos.org has been mentioned before, so here's what I do. I go to their AMV Announcements forum and look for threads of AMVs that are my genre. Usually they are of high quality. You just have to register (you can stream on the site now too instead of download like in the past), and also you are forced to rate the AMVs you watched/downloaded there too.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 14:19   Link #65
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Hm, I'm going to go slightly off-topic for a bit and tell you guys one good way to look for (mostly) good AMVs. AnimeMusicVideos.org has been mentioned before, so here's what I do. I go to their AMV Announcements forum and look for threads of AMVs that are my genre. Usually they are of high quality. You just have to register (you can stream on the site now too instead of download like in the past), and also you are forced to rate the AMVs you watched/downloaded there too.
Hehe that's the only thing I go by XD. It's too hard to fish good amvs from the ocean.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote