AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-02-01, 23:55   Link #1
chamelean75

Angelic Layer

Has anyone besides me seen Angelic Layer? What did you think of it? Actually, personally, I think it would have been a good anime to bring to the usa for kids. They wouldn't need to edit anything. lol. I like how it starts off as a seemingly lame anime but then the underlying story, the search for misaki's mom comes into play, and the anime all of a sudden gets a lot better.
chamelean75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 01:58   Link #2
AnimeFangirl

Hmm, I wasn't able to watch the anime because I read the manga. It was lame from start to finish. Weak characters, Pokemon-for-girls storyline, formulaic and predictable fights, weak subplot, you get the general picture. Because of that, even though I tried to watch the anime, I could barely make it through ep 1 because then you add irritating voices and slow action to all the problems I mentioned before. As far as putting it on TV is concerned, that's not a bad idea though. If Pokemon, Yugioh (pokemon with cards) and Beyblade (pokemon with tops) can all be succesful, then Angelic Layer can be too. Think of all the dolls they'd sell. -___-;;
Old 2004-02-02, 02:32   Link #3
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
Hmm, I wasn't able to watch the anime because I read the manga. It was lame from start to finish. Weak characters, Pokemon-for-girls storyline, formulaic and predictable fights, weak subplot, you get the general picture. Because of that, even though I tried to watch the anime, I could barely make it through ep 1 because then you add irritating voices and slow action to all the problems I mentioned before. As far as putting it on TV is concerned, that's not a bad idea though. If Pokemon, Yugioh (pokemon with cards) and Beyblade (pokemon with tops) can all be succesful, then Angelic Layer can be too. Think of all the dolls they'd sell. -___-;;
Then again, it's only 26 episodes, all of those other shows have in the area of 52-300+ episodes.
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 03:53   Link #4
AnimeFangirl

Well being 26 episodes actually helps it, I would think. The networks wouldn't know how boys - the main demographic for that kind of show - would react to a series about girly-girls fighting cute little battles with pretty dolls. And they don't know how girls would react to a series like that either. Having just 26 episodes means that even if it ends up flopping, they can just chalk it up as a learning experience and move on. If it's a success, they clean up with the merchandise and pave the way for a more shoujo series. Either way it won't be a case of them licensing 300 episodes and only showing 10 or so, leaving the few fans longing for more.
Old 2004-02-02, 04:26   Link #5
Ookla The Mok

This is one of my favorite animes that I've seen all the way through. I think the anime is much better than the manga, for once. I think it would definitely go over well on national TV if its target audience were convinced to watch it.

ADV has the license though and they seem not to put stuff on channels other than their own.
Ookla The Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-03, 04:04   Link #6
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamelean75
...What did you think of it?...
Not as much as you did. I don't think much of CLAMP's turn towards the shounen market - Chobits gives me the bloody horrors. CLAMP also has no qualms about relying on creaking formula, as per Magic Knights Rayearth. That makes two strikes. The third strike is the targetting of a rather young audience. Three strikes is too many.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-03, 12:10   Link #7
frowndog
Poof... time warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
Not as much as you did. I don't think much of CLAMP's turn towards the shounen market - Chobits gives me the bloody horrors. CLAMP also has no qualms about relying on creaking formula, as per Magic Knights Rayearth. That makes two strikes. The third strike is the targetting of a rather young audience. Three strikes is too many.
I actually quite enjoyed Angelic Layer but then again it could just have been me.

I thought the Wizard was cool. I just found it ridiculous that she got to go up against every single important character in the story
Spoiler:

On a side note, FYI, did you know that Angelic Layer and Chobits are connected in story?

Spoiler:
frowndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-03, 13:10   Link #8
AnimeFangirl

Hmm, maybe that would explain why they both sucked...
Old 2004-02-03, 15:01   Link #9
saku~ya
la~li~lo

Hey now.... Angelic Layer and Chobits didn't suck ^^; Of course this is coming from a CLAMP die-hard fan who doesn't have anything, except from a few titles, of CLAMP manga XD

I really did enjoy Angelic Layer. And to have it referred to pokemon makes me sick. It is in no way even like that. First of all they don't have 200 million different types and change them during battle. I thought the tie in with Chobits was interesting.

I won't discuss reasons on why I liked Chobits. Its slightly off topic here ^.^
saku~ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-03, 15:11   Link #10
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamelean75
Has anyone besides me seen Angelic Layer? What did you think of it? Actually, personally, I think it would have been a good anime to bring to the usa for kids. They wouldn't need to edit anything. lol. I like how it starts off as a seemingly lame anime but then the underlying story, the search for misaki's mom comes into play, and the anime all of a sudden gets a lot better.
CLAMP made "Angelic Layer" as an omage to the anime written below...but....

The story and plot was extremely similar (more like exactly the same) to the 1983 anime "Puraresu Sanshiro."

It was amusing in a way that it made me see an anime that I loved when I was three as revived through CLAMP, but....

"Puraresu Sanshiro!?"

Last edited by kj1980; 2004-02-03 at 19:58.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 12:42   Link #11
Rias

[QUOTE=frowndog]I
Spoiler:

That is true, as explained in the Chobits Manga

basically I'm not a die hard fan for CLAMP's formulated plot lines...as they are all pretty much predictable...I mean it's pretty much obvious from the start that
Spoiler:
Rias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 14:37   Link #12
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frowndog
On a side note, FYI, did you know that Angelic Layer and Chobits are connected in story?[/spoiler]
CLAMP's work has been like that for a long time.

Try reading their new series - "Tsubasa" and "XXXholic"
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 05:47   Link #13
frowndog
Poof... time warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
CLAMP's work has been like that for a long time.

Try reading their new series - "Tsubasa" and "XXXholic"
i thought tsuabasa hikaru was cute. all the clamp characters in some twilight zone like world
frowndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 20:41   Link #14
junko
model bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
Hmm, maybe that would explain why they both sucked...
Well, while the didn't both completely suck, they weren't as dynamic as I was hoping they would be. Angelic Layer was kinda vanilla, and would have worked as a preteen show. And Chobits, well, interesting buildup, complete letdown.
junko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 21:00   Link #15
Laryx

I enjoyed angelic layer.
It was very cute and it had some sincere emotional moments for me.
And reasonably developed characters.
For a show aimed at a young audience it has a lot going for it.
---------------------------
the chobits link is hilarious btw

what`s clamp making nowadays?
Laryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 21:03   Link #16
Tannah
Lumiere

I quite enjoyed both, but. I found it odd with Angelic Layer that the Anime was better than the Manga, somthing that is very rare. they tied up several questions like why the main charters mom was always hiding, and the main reason for develping the angels.. tho I must say after watching Card Captor Sakura, Its odd seeing some of the same characters only a bit younger in Angelic Layer..

Chobits as a Anime Started out really good, almost mirrioring the manga. but the Anime soon diverged from the manga and cut out a whole bunch of the stuff.. Then theres the fact the Manga continued well past the end date of the anime.. I'm not even sure what happened in the end of the anime happened in the Manga..
Tannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 00:17   Link #17
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Is it true that Clamp studios is made up by 6 female artists?? I heard that when i was subbing Angelic Layer and Chobits ! ^ ^
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 00:19   Link #18
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Clamp is Printing manga, and i hope they release another great series
^_^

[/QUOTE]
what`s clamp making nowadays?[/QUOTE]
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 04:52   Link #19
BanditKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannah
I quite enjoyed both, but. I found it odd with Angelic Layer that the Anime was better than the Manga, somthing that is very rare. they tied up several questions like why the main charters mom was always hiding, and the main reason for develping the angels.. tho I must say after watching Card Captor Sakura, Its odd seeing some of the same characters only a bit younger in Angelic Layer..

Chobits as a Anime Started out really good, almost mirrioring the manga. but the Anime soon diverged from the manga and cut out a whole bunch of the stuff.. Then theres the fact the Manga continued well past the end date of the anime.. I'm not even sure what happened in the end of the anime happened in the Manga..
For some reason I think the Anime is better then the Manga too.Its a good thing that I'm not alone.
BanditKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 07:27   Link #20
+BakuretsuNavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditKing
For some reason I think the Anime is better then the Manga too.Its a good thing that I'm not alone.

yea anime is better ... i like seeing hot misaki-chi fighting against evil dollz!! HOTCHA
+BakuretsuNavi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen