AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-12, 21:29   Link #1
Locke_

Seinen, berserk like anime

I've been around for a long time, I've seen most of the series I know about similar to Berserk in any way shape or form. I'm hoping, that recently anime has come out that's better than average. Here's a quick list of some of the stuff I've seen and liked. BTW, I can't help but feel like I'm wasting my time if an anime doesn't have enough action/philosophy in it, I'm a online poker player (I do it for a living), so if I watch a shitty anime I feel like I'm wasting $40 an hour.

Berserk
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
X
Samurai Champloo
Gungrave
Elfin Lied
Code Geass
Shadow Skill
Project Arms
Battle Angel Alita
Black Lagoon
Busou Renkin
Claymore
Darker than Black
D. Gray man
Escalflone
Flame of recca
Fist of the north star
FLCL
Gantz
Hunter X Hunter
Hellsing
Hajime no Ippo
Wolfs rain
Kiba
Evangelion
All the Macross/gundam stuff
Kenshin
Scryed
Vapire hunter D
Requiem from the darkness
Get backers
Initial D
Now and then, here and there

So that's the run down. I'd like a philisophical action oriented anime. Something similar to berserk. Is there anything out there like that right now?

edit - Maybe worth noting is that my top 5 anime would probably be (in order)

Beserk
Black Lagoon
Cowboy Bebop
Code Geass
Gungrave
with Hajime No Ippo being a close 6th place.

Last edited by Locke_; 2010-09-12 at 21:40.
Old 2010-09-12, 21:44   Link #2
Patch&Quilt

Texhnolyze. While not as heavy on the action as Berserk, it's very dark and atmospheric with a great story.

Basilisk. It's like Romeo & Juliet, ninja style! Lots of good fights.
Old 2010-09-12, 21:54   Link #3
Locke_

Thanks for the recommendations, I've actually checked out both of them a few years ago. They're good, but while they fit what I want, neither of them were able to keep my attention.
Old 2010-09-12, 22:02   Link #4
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Nice...You're oldskool like Manga Entertainment VHS tapes^^...Some good olskool stuff not on you're list that meets the gritty fighting dynamic...

Grappler Baki
Shootfighter Tekken

Black Magic-99
Street Fighter II V (This one was gritty and hardcore)
Tenjo Tenge
Blue Gender
Airmaster
Mezzo
Golgo 13 movies and Golgo 13 TV (Shocked this isn't on your list!)

Far as newer than that animation stuff goes:

Sengoku Basara
GunXSword
Speed Grapher
Gankutsuou

Not all of these are necessarily like Bezerk (In terms of gore), but I think they are as good in the philosophy verses fighting department...

Also try: Mitchiko E. Hatchin (Closest thing in spirit to Cowboy Bebop I've seen, waaaay more than Black Lagoon IMO)

You might like Gunslinger Girls aswell since it's lots of killing with a huge effed-up philosophical premise regarding the children fighters...
Old 2010-09-13, 11:52   Link #5
Shinjite

Full metal alchemist is certainly worth checking out.

It has a very nice story, good and alot of action.

There are 2 series
Fullmetal Alchemist

Full metal Alchemist The Brotherhood. - This one follows the manga and is more Action packed then the normal one. But have the same characters in it. though The bortherhood follows the manga wheres the other one goes it own way. both are a good watch.

philosophy is in these animes aswell.

Check it out.

Offtopic: How interesting, living from online poker. How is that working out?
I have only lost money so far. Any tips you can give me?
Old 2010-09-13, 18:43   Link #6
Locke_

Thanks Wingeddarkness, I've seen some of that, sorry for not having quite a complete list, I tried but you know how it gets once you've seen so much stuff.

So to add to the stuff I've seen and enjoyed.

Gankutsuou (The count of Monte Cristo is probably my favorite story, ever.)
Grappler Baki
Tenjou Tenji
Blue Gender
Golgo 13

I saw some of Speed Grapher, but the first episode didn't hold my attention. It did seem like some more stuff was going to happen after the weird girl kisses him when he's invading some cave or something. Does it pick up?

Ever since I first saw fist of the north star on Showtime back in the day, I've loved anime. A friend had the dragon ball VHS, subbed, all the way up to the cell saga. Then shadow skill was on showtime (one of the OVAs), and I was amazed when I found out there was a series. Good times.

I'll definitely check out all the other stuff you posted, thanks!

Shinjite - I've seen FMA, sorry for the incomplete list. I couldn't quite get into the second series, but I didn't give it much of a try. Did you really enjoy it?

In regards to online poker, I've been doing it for a while. There are no quick ways to make poker profitable, it takes a long time and a lot of work. You could start by reading all of the links I'm about to post, but even if you become "theoretically" good, you'd still need the emotional control not to break your mouse every time someone sucks out on you. Here's some links, and if you actually want to try it I'd recommend signing up for www.deucescracked.com as they provide relatively cheap training videos.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/39...ection-100801/
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/55...1-down-346801/
Old 2010-09-13, 18:54   Link #7
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
Yep basilisk is your best bet.. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=4318

There are many shows that are similar to the ones you have seen you might want to check them out to see if you like them

Heroic Age
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=7627

Samurai X
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ime.php?id=210

after you watch samurai x and if you like it check out Rurouni Kenshin
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...nime.php?id=73

This next one is in space like Heroic age, its called Crest of the Stars
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...nime.php?id=14

I could help you out more if I knew exactly what you liked about berserk

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2010-09-14, 00:14   Link #8
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke_ View Post
I saw some of Speed Grapher, but the first episode didn't hold my attention. It did seem like some more stuff was going to happen after the weird girl kisses him when he's invading some cave or something. Does it pick up?
Well again it's a highly philosophical based thriller...The main villain is sick in a very magnanimous way...He has a point he wants to make about the ills of capitalism...Along the way, many twisted scenes of death and peril are all caught through the eyes of a man who's Kodak-flash can destroy you in the click of a finger...

Quote:
I've seen FMA, sorry for the incomplete list. I couldn't quite get into the second series, but I didn't give it much of a try. Did you really enjoy it?
I love the first series, but the manga version ups the ante in ways I could never imagine...Many wicked deaths in this one with probably the best collection of villain and antagonist characters ever assembled in one anime...You'll love Furor Bradley in this one (Not to mention so many more)...

Quote:
Ever since I first saw fist of the north star on Showtime back in the day, I've loved anime. A friend had the dragon ball VHS, subbed, all the way up to the cell saga. Then shadow skill was on showtime (one of the OVAs), and I was amazed when I found out there was a series. Good times.
That's my wheelhouse bro...Shitty DBZ subs with lines running through the video loving every goddamn minute of it...^^ I caught Fist of The North Star on the Starz network like 7 years ago and that shit slayed me...

Hey don't forget they recently did a Golgo 13 TV series drawn in old 80's style animation...It's a 50+ ep series with each ep being a standalone Golgo mission...If you love that oldskool goodness you gotta check it out...
Old 2010-09-14, 02:28   Link #9
Shinjite

Quote:
Shinjite - I've seen FMA, sorry for the incomplete list. I couldn't quite get into the second series, but I didn't give it much of a try. Did you really enjoy it?

In regards to online poker, I've been doing it for a while. There are no quick ways to make poker profitable, it takes a long time and a lot of work. You could start by reading all of the links I'm about to post, but even if you become "theoretically" good, you'd still need the emotional control not to break your mouse every time someone sucks out on you. Here's some links, and if you actually want to try it I'd recommend signing up for www.deucescracked.com as they provide relatively cheap training videos.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/39...ection-100801/
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/55...1-down-346801/
If you liked the first FMA your going to love FMA - the Brotherhood, that was is just mind blowingly good. The first couple eps might look the same but it will become much and much better.

Offtopic:
I have been doing alot of online poker in the last few years, but stopped because i just lost money. i did win some but lost it aswell soon after that. i think the emotional controle thing i need to work on. after a while i just dont give a frag and make stupid mistakes. I do tend to go all in with ''bad'' cards because every card can win and make bad calls sometime.

Do you play poker in 1 window or do you have several games open at once?

Thanks for the links, going to check them out.
Old 2012-01-14, 21:23   Link #10
Locke_

Alright, I might as well try again. It's been a while. I've seen every anime I wanted to see posted so far in this thread, along with Steins:Gate which was the best recent anime I've seen in a long, long time. There's some Shura no Toki or something that I saw too, since this post.

Anyone have any recommendations? Did I miss a decent series? I can't stand stuff that seems pointless, it has to have a strong plot. Steins:Gate is about as close to slow paced as I can take.
Old 2012-01-15, 01:42   Link #11
Jaden

Katanagatari.
Old 2012-01-15, 12:45   Link #12
kitten320

Basicly you want action with some idea and philosophy behind? Hmmm, have you tried the following?

Death Note, not strong in fighting but strong in suspense, mind twisting and philosophy.

Fate/Zero have a lot of themes going on and has some nice action. However, it is not fully finished. The last 13 episodes will air in April.

Ga-Rei Zero has a similar problem as in Berserker, friendship problems. The main theme is "Will you kill the person you love because of love?". It has some standard anime comedy moments in the middle but once it gets pass it, series get serious.

Great Teacher Onizuka is more of a comedy but it covers some very important topics. It is about a very unique teacher who is trying to help his students in very weird ways. Really worth a watch.

Katanagatari has a lot of talking about verity of things + some action.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom are great gun action series about assassins who were forced to choose this path of life. Eventually they are trying to escape from mafia world.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin cover a lot of different themes too. Series are about several friends who met in prison. Anime follows their lives while imprisoned and when they are out. While imprisoned they constantly go through variety of abuses.

Shiki are great series about vampires. Not action strong but has good build up and at the end you will ask a question "Just who is a real monster?!". Would be a plus if you check 1st special later.

As a bonus you can try Baccano because of its unique story telling.
And I'll dare to recommend Madoka Magica, looks childish but it actually is quiet serious and when you'll reach episode 10, you will find similarity to Steins;Gate.
Old 2012-01-15, 15:48   Link #13
Ermes Marana

Ghost in the Shell:SAC. I usually assume people have seen this, but if you haven't give it a shot. It seems to fit perfectly with your favorites.

Katanagatari fits, but some people are annoyed by all the talking. The action might be too far apart for your taste, though personally I loved it.
Old 2012-01-17, 01:18   Link #14
Locke_

I've seen most of the stuff recommended, however, the ones I haven't seen I've always had reservations about.

For instance, Katanagatari has a really crappy animation style (though I haven't checked out an episode and have only seen what google image shows). Madoka while getting good reviews does appear to be pretty childish, and I don't think I could make it through 10 episodes. I've been considering Shiki every time I've scoured the forum, just haven't dove in yet. I think that's probably got some potential.

Phantom seems good, Baccano seems too episodic as does GTO (I saw some of it a while back). The main things I dislike in anime is childish antics, lack of plot or episodic series, kids as heros, and generally I don't do well with female leads. I was fine with the comedy in Steins:Gate, so long as they do it right I have no problems with it. It's just about the company doing the comedy or the series right.

I'm surprised, now I have 2 new anime that might be worth watching and maybe 1 more for desperate times. Cool. Checking out Un-Go right now, it might end up being good.

Thanks.
Old 2012-01-17, 04:47   Link #15
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Checking out Un-Go right now, it might end up being good.

Thanks.
Just want to say that UN GO gets better after a few episodes

Quote:
Madoka while getting good reviews does appear to be pretty childish, and I don't think I could make it through 10 episodes
I can't blame you for thinking it looks childish but that's just part of the deception.I can see why kitten320 said 10 episodes but 3 should be enough.

Maybe just check out Phantom and if you like that check out Madoka.The writer of the original Phantom visual novel is the writer of Madoka Magica.
Old 2012-01-17, 09:21   Link #16
kitten320

Quote:
I've seen most of the stuff recommended, however, the ones I haven't seen I've always had reservations about.

For instance, Katanagatari has a really crappy animation style (though I haven't checked out an episode and have only seen what google image shows). Madoka while getting good reviews does appear to be pretty childish, and I don't think I could make it through 10 episodes. I've been considering Shiki every time I've scoured the forum, just haven't dove in yet. I think that's probably got some potential.

Phantom seems good, Baccano seems too episodic as does GTO (I saw some of it a while back). The main things I dislike in anime is childish antics, lack of plot or episodic series, kids as heros, and generally I don't do well with female leads. I was fine with the comedy in Steins:Gate, so long as they do it right I have no problems with it. It's just about the company doing the comedy or the series right.

I'm surprised, now I have 2 new anime that might be worth watching and maybe 1 more for desperate times. Cool. Checking out Un-Go right now, it might end up being good.

Thanks.
Yeh I didn't like the style in Katanagatari either, found it weird till the end. But I still enjoyed the show over all so it is worth a glance, though they talk too much. Sometimes I really wanted to shut them up.

By episode 10 I only meant the similarity, but as totoum said, 3 episodes is more than enough because episode 3 is the one where really dark things start to happen and going from there it gets darker and darker. If you still will be bored then it probably is not for you.
I personally don't like Magical girl series, they are too childish and I delayed watching Madoka for a while. But I kept hearing about dark themes and eventually gave in. I actually finished series in one go Don't regret a bit

Shiki are good series, even though you as a viewer no what is the problem series still manage to engage you.

I know why you would think Baccano looks episodic but believe me, it is not. Whole series are based around simple train robbery that turns into quiet a ride. A lot of things that seem not to make any sense at the beginning start to play a huge role later. Isac and Miria are characters that seem pointless but even they have a huge role later. Anime has a very unique style of story telling but all episode are connected with each other. Only episode 1 is more of a stand alone episode, the other 12 are connected. The biggest part of questions you might have at the start will be answered.

In Phantom the main character is actually a guy, though female gets a bit more attention at first but later the guy takes it all.

GTO has a male lead and he is an adult who is playing the role of a hero. Series are not really episodic, more like arc based. Though some of the arcs are connected. For example the conflict between female student Anko and male student Nobura get another spotlight towards the end and what happened in the beginning does play a role in future episodes. Students attitude is different. But series do have some ridiculous humor but truthfully I enjoyed it far more than the typical one in anime comedies. It was more down to earth.

Hope this helps.
Old 2012-01-18, 21:24   Link #17
Locke_

Thanks, both of you! I finished Un-Go, it was alright.

I guess as it looks, I might as well check them all out. I'd say I'll check them out in the order of...

Phantom, Shiki, Katanagatari, Madoka, Baccano, and I guess if I'm ever super desperate I'll check out GTO. I have seen parts of it before, but it is one of those iconic anime so I should probably give it more credit than I do.
Old 2012-01-24, 02:37   Link #18
Locke_

Phantom was good, Un-Go was ok, Katanagatari had way too much talking, GTO was good, Shiki was bad, and I haven't checked Madoka or Baccano yet. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Old 2012-01-24, 14:35   Link #19
kitten320

I have barely watched anything lately so sadly can't add anything new to my list