AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2012-12-28, 21:35   Link #5301
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinwheel10 View Post
The cheaper animation style ruined most episodes (especially the first 2 episodes of the season) :|
Jellal vs. Jura and Chariot was good though and I enjoyed them a lot. As for Lucy vs. Flare...

I wonder what's the reason behind the budget cut?
My guess, MAAAAAAYBE the OVA's, and plastering well animated pics of the characters on the DVDs and such.
Old 2012-12-29, 01:22   Link #5302
Pinwheel10
WHOOSH!

^Oh, and the filler arc. Don't forget the filler arc.
Pinwheel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-29, 10:20   Link #5303
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinwheel10 View Post
The cheaper animation style ruined most episodes (especially the first 2 episodes of the season) :|
Jellal vs. Jura and Chariot was good though and I enjoyed them a lot. As for Lucy vs. Flare...

I wonder what's the reason behind the budget cut?
Most anime series, with their first and sometimes second season, generally only have a smaller budget. You don't notice it with most series, because they lack action, so there are a lot of trick shots they can do to hide the fact that they saved on animating. Such as showing you an almost still shot of people talking, but you only see the backside of the person talking (thus saving them from animating lips moving or facial expressions. Having watched tons of anime for many years now, I can pretty much pick out every scene that used a trick to save on animation.

Action scenes, by contrast, require MANY more scenes to be animated, especially if they want combat to look fluid. That's expensive. So they use stock footage and speed lines, or save their animation budget for one or two fights. The good news is, if a series lasts beyond this, then it's because it is popular, and the budget increases. That's when you start to get nicer looking fights.

But a studio will generally keep the budget small for the first season (unless they are really pushing the series hard), just in case it isn't popular or fails.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 10:27   Link #5304
Pinwheel10
WHOOSH!

Well that makes sense. But in FT's case its first and second season (and even third) had superb animation. It's only in season 4 that the budget cut gets obvious.
Old 2012-12-30, 13:48   Link #5305
classic

Sorry, when did you saw superb animation in Fairy Tail?
classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 19:56   Link #5306
ImperialFlameGod8190

the one thing that I liked in the first few seasons was how the fire dragons roar had the dragon behind them. The Oracion Seis to me was really bad and GH was decent but not great.
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 04:50   Link #5307
Pinwheel10
WHOOSH!

@classic: Take it relatively, if you will The Grand Magic Games arc is getting really plot-intense, I just wish the anime will live up to the manga.

On the other hand, 163 will air on January 5. A Happy New Year y'all!
Old 2013-01-01, 14:38   Link #5308
ImperialFlameGod8190

yep 163 is gonna be a fanservice dream the image thread is gonna get blown up
Old 2013-01-02, 00:21   Link #5309
mtgowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Most anime series, with their first and sometimes second season, generally only have a smaller budget. You don't notice it with most series, because they lack action, so there are a lot of trick shots they can do to hide the fact that they saved on animating. Such as showing you an almost still shot of people talking, but you only see the backside of the person talking (thus saving them from animating lips moving or facial expressions. Having watched tons of anime for many years now, I can pretty much pick out every scene that used a trick to save on animation.

Action scenes, by contrast, require MANY more scenes to be animated, especially if they want combat to look fluid. That's expensive. So they use stock footage and speed lines, or save their animation budget for one or two fights. The good news is, if a series lasts beyond this, then it's because it is popular, and the budget increases. That's when you start to get nicer looking fights.

But a studio will generally keep the budget small for the first season (unless they are really pushing the series hard), just in case it isn't popular or fails.
I'm currently catching up on Fairy Tail (just finished going through Season 2) and I didn't think for a moment the animation was even "cheap" although they obviously engage in labor-saving measures as you mentioned.

But then again, my "cheap animation" bar is set at Gundam SEED. I'm surprised no one came forward and awarded the franchise a "green award" for being so diligent at recycling.
mtgowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 08:33   Link #5310
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
It varies by anime. Some just get a larger budget, or are more creative in how they produce scenes, managing to save enough cost on other scenes to make decent action battles.

Stock footage is one way, and Fairy Tail had quite a few of that with their magic attacks early on. But that went away after a dozen episodes or so.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 22:36   Link #5311
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 163:
Old 2013-01-04, 22:37   Link #5312
MAX_COLA_POWER!

I'm gonna wait til EroKing shows the good parts since the animation seemed wonky in some parts.
Old 2013-01-04, 23:07   Link #5313
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep163:
Old 2013-01-04, 23:54   Link #5314
ImperialFlameGod8190

Spoiler for Spoiler for 163:
Old 2013-01-05, 01:35   Link #5315
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Well Well, the animé site updated with a new poster for the arc.
Old 2013-01-05, 03:46   Link #5316
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

163 quality is way above average for a normal FT episode, especially this one filled with 50% filler. So much booby flopping w/ Evergreen stripe bikini and major cuteness with Asuka x Panther Lily as a couple. Erza looking crazy over the top in that dominatrix suit, is this really a show shown on a kids network in the morning? I wish our society wasn't so censored!

Kagura vs. Sabre-tooth gal, looking forward to this fight next episode, the previews look good!

Major likes:
Juvia bathing suit shot
Asuka x Panther Lily
Funny comedy between Lyon and Gray w/ Juvia
Lisanna being NTR by Lucy. HAHA

Dislikes:
Not enough Erza! I wanted to see her a wedding dress and Mystogan be all over her, or some other guy!
Why no show #1 loli Fairy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
Spoiler for Spoiler for 163:
I had dislike/like regarding Asuka, but she was so damn cute paring up with Panther Lily in the wedding theme.

I KNEW what would of happen, when a old woman wants to get in, so I skim through Obaba part.

Regarding Kagura, I guess the more reserve the gal is, the more people want her.
Old 2013-01-05, 08:40   Link #5317
Eragon
Still Alive

I guess I'm going to be the only one who was infuriated with half of this episode............

I never thought I would complain about fan-service in Fairy Tail, but this was totally over the top. The reason I never had a problem with fan-service in this show was because, IMO, it was done tastefully. This just felt like they were shoving ass and boobs down the audience(or rather my) throat. I will admit that even through all the fan-service in this show I still retain a degree of respect for the characters and they just cheapened the characters for me in the first half for the sake of fan-service *sigh*

But of course this just my opinion.
Old 2013-01-05, 10:10   Link #5318
EroKing

What can I say about Mavis? Too fucking cute AND awesome at the same time?
Heck I wouldn't mind an arc about her past and the previous generation. They could make it like Fate/ series where the prequel had cooler characters
Wedding dress part was great. Lisanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
I'm gonna wait til EroKing shows the good parts since the animation seemed wonky in some parts.
Please excuse the King since he died while watching this episode at around the 13 minute 25 second mark Respawn in 15 hours
Old 2013-01-05, 10:41   Link #5319
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Oh damn...

My body... was not ready... *faints*

I expect a good deal of stitched screenshots to come out of this episode...and the animators know it...XD

Mavis is THE BEST Guild master EVAH! *bows before the awesomeness* It's so hard to believe Purehito/Hades when he said that Fairy Tail was much darker before... I can't see anything being dark about Mavis or the character of the guild that she wants. She's a meddlesome ghost that you actually want to have around.

And why are some people surprised about the bump up in quality? The animators are pervs like us - well, some of most of us.XD

The EverxElf moment at the beginning was also awesome. It's awesome to see her friends supporting the couple. Is it a good thing that Elfman can't see the fight? Much more blood loss to be had if it happened.
Old 2013-01-05, 12:19   Link #5320
Simonsy

well caught off guard this episode by one thing, and that was mirajanes battle form. I didn't expect it to be a white skin tight suit she had under there, I thought it was skin on first reading. When saw it this episode I was like WTF they censored that, and after how much skin and boobage this episode showed, that makes no sense.

Then went to manga and relooked at pic of mirajane in that form and seems it wasn't skin and anime was probably right.
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen