AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2017-02-13, 17:47   Link #321
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Go to the manufacturers site, get them, like always. OS also handles most of the others.
Old 2017-08-06, 15:52   Link #322
AnimeFan188

Windows 10 after two years: Microsoft's mixed report card:

"Windows 10 celebrated its second anniversary this week.

By historical standards, this upgrade has been relatively free of drama, especially coming
on the heels of Windows 8, an unqualified flop. The fact that we haven't seen any major
meltdowns in the Windows 10 rollout is even more impressive when considering just how
big this product cycle is."

See:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows...d-report-card/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-06, 16:11   Link #323
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

HA! Ya right.......

I'd say it's more along the lines of everyone sees it as a continuation of the windows 8 fail train so no point bitching about it further. Disfunctional everything but desktop (I have to even install a 3rd party program to view pictures since the normal one takes 5s to load, thehell!?). The file explorer can only be considered passable (the banner menu thing is still a waste of space IMO). This is just yet another case of a company going all-in on some shitty gimmick (touch screen laptops; who even uses this crap?) at the detriment of everyone else: "What you use keyboard and mouse? Fuck you peasant! --Microsoft with love"
Old 2017-08-06, 16:18   Link #324
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
While perhaps I would not express myself as specifically and strongly about some things as the above poster did I must admit to not my reactions being mixed to this newest OS version. It is not Windows 8, yes, and it is pretty stable and does some good things with taking advantage of the hardware better ... but ... well ... I may be a stick in the mud and all, but I was plenty fine with Windows 7.
Old 2017-08-29, 01:38   Link #325
The 48th Ronin

Just want to ask...

I have an OEM Windows 10 Home Single Language. If I were to upgrade to Home Standard does my Product Key still works, or should I have to buy a new one?
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-01, 15:20   Link #326
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

OEM licenses are tied to the computers they were first installed on. Technically, all W10 keys in service are registered to a specific motherboard (replacing that motherboard voids the license), but the rules are kinda different when it comes to OEM rather than retail, which offers more privileges and less restrictions.

What do you wish to do with the earlier product key? It's tied to your current PC (motherboard), so you can't reuse it on another computer unless you start tampering with BIOS certificates, and that's a potential minefield right there, that could either brick your machine or nullify your license if it's not properly done.

As to whether the W10HSL license is trashcanned upon upgrade, dunno. I do however know that downgrading to an earlier version (W8.1, W7) is technically possible (for free, at least within a month of the installation date), meaning that the key is not erased from Microsoft's servers; however, things become trickier when OEM kicks in, since the OEM supplier can add its own services- and hardware-related terms/rules for upgrades/downgrades on top of Microsoft's. But here we're talking about a "horizontal" upgrade (rather than a "vertical upgrade") - and that's something I have never dealt with, sorry.

There are two things you can do, if you feel hesitant:

1. Use bare-metal backup/restore AKA disk imaging software (such as Acronis True Image, DriveImageXML, CloneZilla, EASEUS) to make a COMPLETE backup of your hard drive (hidden partitions included), which you'll save on a separate, possibly external, HDD. If anything goes wrong, you can restore the PC's main HDD back to its W10HSL state, using the disk image you've just created, but beware! You will NOT be able to reuse the upgrade key again, since you've just used it!

2. Get yourself a Microsoft account and directly ask the question in this specific section: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...indows_install
Verified Microsoft programmers and contributors will answer your question.

Personally, I'd say go with option 2. Play it safe.
Old 2017-09-02, 02:43   Link #327
The 48th Ronin

Okay, I think I understood a bit.

But how about if I upgrade from Home to Pro, do I have to buy another key to activate it? Or my OEM key can do the job?
Old 2017-09-02, 06:30   Link #328
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Yes, upgrade keys are unique to the type of license (OEM, retail) and to the OS version you're upgrading to (Home, Pro). And they can only be used once.

So if you wish to upgrade to Pro from Home, you need a different OEM upgrade key, as the one you currently possess only upgrades up to Home Standard.

But I strongly suggest you post your question on the link I provided, especially since we're talking OEM here (retail is usually straightforward, OEM has additional stuff such as hardware certificates and manufacturer/supplier's terms & conditions). To be safe, you could also visit your PC manufacturer's website to see what they have to say on OS upgrades and whatnot.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2017-09-02 at 07:15.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-02, 19:19   Link #329
The 48th Ronin

Okay, thanks for clarifications.
Old 2018-12-07, 07:00   Link #330
monster

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...collaboration/

Quote:
1. We will move to a Chromium-compatible web platform for Microsoft Edge on the desktop.

2. Microsoft Edge will now be delivered and updated for all supported versions of Windows and on a more frequent cadence. We also expect this work to enable us to bring Microsoft Edge to other platforms like macOS.

3. We will contribute web platform enhancements to make Chromium-based browsers better on Windows devices.
I didn't think it would ever happen, but here we are in 2018. Firefox also becomes more unique now, unless they too give in, which is unlikely.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-07, 12:47   Link #331
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Oh cool. A new chromium browser that I can use to download Chrome from. XP
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-08, 15:49   Link #332
Dop
Mmmm....

But will Chromium Edge still make you use Bing as your search engine?

Still, website developers everywhere will cheer the demise of Microsoft's web rendering engine which was always a massive pain.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-23, 17:06   Link #333
alex_drian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbarker View Post
I'm getting more and more tempted to upgrade my 8.1 partition to 10, I'm just wondering how that would affect my 8 Pro retail license for future use. Found some tips on devicetricks.com. I'm gonna learn this issue thoroughly and keep you posted.
I kinda think you should stick with 8.1 for a while. The damn thing still have problems. Usually is stable but when it have problems, damn.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-23, 20:03   Link #334
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbarker View Post
I'm getting more and more tempted to upgrade my 8.1 partition to 10
You sure about that? In a recent update they wiped everyone's documents, desktop, everyhting. It didn't roll to everyone but still caused a lot of grief. It was also reported by internal testers (a lot!) but what did they care, just rolled it out anyway.

As for everything else, this is how I would describe it in kind words: It's a piece of shit.
Old 2019-01-24, 01:48   Link #335
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

My Windows 10 version still works fine. I'm glad i did the free upgrade from 8 to 10 since i didn't like the apps only look with no normal start button.
Old 2019-01-24, 11:13   Link #336
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_drian View Post
I kinda think you should stick with 8.1 for a while. The damn thing still have problems. Usually is stable but when it have problems, damn.
FYI, I suspect that post was from a bot or spammer promoting that site since I wouldn't trust it since the domain was only registered 4 months ago.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote