AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Love Live!

Notices

Old 2016-08-06, 10:24   Link #21
judasmartel
*Author

Is Aida-san fluent in English?
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-06, 11:25   Link #22
Nork22

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Is Aida-san fluent in English?
Well, it's as good as you practice it. Seems like her English is better than most high schoolers in Japan but that's not saying much.
Old 2016-08-07, 10:04   Link #23
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
By the way, August 8 will be Rikako Aida's birthday!

Happy birthday to Rikyako, she's gonna be 24 years old!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 11:20   Link #24
Seihai
スマイリウム

Summary of a live radio show on August 7th:
Chika AKA Chikacchi = An-chan
Dia AKA Dia-sama = Alicia
Yoshiko AKA Yohane = Aikyan or Ai-chan

An-chan: "Chika is a very lively, energetic and straightforward girl. IRL I'm normally rather negative"
"I was scared that I couldn't perform as Chika because I myself can't really get to such a high tension, but I got used to it. I have a lot of fun voicing her now!"

Commentators that I dub Guy A and Guy B can't decide to call Aikyan Yohane or Yoshiko so they end up calling her Ai-chan for the rest of the show (they confused Ai-chan with An-chan one time). They also love saying Dia-sama, because even irl she seems like an ojou-san tsundere.

Alicia: "Dia's way of speech is very difficult to handle. I couldn't keep a straight face at first when I say things like "desu wa" or "nantoka shimasen", because well you just don't say those things."
Everyone says it fits her though.
Guy A to Alicia: "Do you sometimes kick around guys for no reason?"
Guy B to Guy A: "Why do you even want that to happen?"

Comments on the OP single: They felt a lot of excitement when they first heard it, feeling that "it finally starts!"
All 3 of them agree that the 1st year Aquors members are particularly cute and lively.

Things they find positive about each other:
An-chan is a fan of Ai-chan's dancing choreography, she finds it really cute how she moves her hands during lives.
Ai-chan admires Alicia for being so independant. She does everything by herself including cooking and other things.
Alicia praises An-chan for being a proper leader when needed, like when they have a live she is able to pull all 9 girls together.

Comments on the ED single:
Aikyan: "The song is very deserving of the ED. It always feels a bit like a shame because it means it's over for the week."
Alicia: "I like the song, it has a sunset kind of feeling. It's a bit sad, but together with the music it feels like "youth"."
An-chan: "It has its sad feeling to it, but more than sadness, I think there is a certain kind of excitement to it that slightly resembles the OP in that it "shines brightly". "
They mention that ironically An-chan has the most positive view on it despite being a rather negative person and so they say that Ai-chan actually fits the description more because of what she said about the ED.

Other stuff:
An-chan loves aquariums. She likes going there alone and spends up to half a day there. Her favorite fish are jellfyfishes because they make her feel at peace and heal her mind.
Both guys ask her why she goes alone and not with friends at least to which she responds she doesn't want to be restricted by time (other people don't wanna stay half a day) and she would find it awkward being there with friends when it is completely dark in the aquarium.
Old 2016-08-12, 18:37   Link #25
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Yeah, hearing the ED does feel kinda sad. the week wait for the next episode is tough! But I frickin love the ED now after hearing it a few times.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-14, 05:48   Link #26
Nork22

A couple of nights ago, Aqours had another streaming session, and one of the more hilarious things that came out of this was this:

Yes, it's the 2nd years tasked with a sketch to promote one of the Aquariums as body builders.
Old 2016-08-15, 01:32   Link #27
judasmartel
*Author

Good day people.

Spoiler for AND here's the much awaited review of Jamie Marchi as Mari Ohara:
Old 2016-08-15, 09:27   Link #28
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
By the way, there's an event in Taiwan which is aired on August 13. For those who missed the event, here it is again!

Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-15, 17:45   Link #29
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Good day people.

Spoiler for AND here's the much awaited review of Jamie Marchi as Mari Ohara:
SI!!

lmao, I love the spanish.
Old 2016-08-15, 21:40   Link #30
Nork22

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
SI!!

lmao, I love the spanish.
This is one time where I go nope. Come on, she's Italian-American-Japanese!
Old 2016-08-16, 01:24   Link #31
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nork22 View Post
This is one time where I go nope. Come on, she's Italian-American-Japanese!
Nah, don't sweat it.

1. Jamie ain't Italian.

2. I'm pretty sure her dad's Italian heritage doesn't come into play in her genes that much anymore. Mari may have Italian ancestry but there is no doubt in my mind she is pretty much American. IIRC, Spanish is the second most-spoken language in the US, right?

3. English dubs don't do Italian accents because they probably don't want to portray the Mafia, never mind that the Mafia actually originated in Sicily, an island outside the boot of Italy, hence the Sicilian Mafia.
Old 2016-08-16, 07:11   Link #32
Nork22

Quote:
1. Jamie ain't Italian.
She's not Hispanic either, your point?

Quote:
2. I'm pretty sure her dad's Italian heritage doesn't come into play in her genes that much anymore. Mari may have Italian ancestry but there is no doubt in my mind she is pretty much American. IIRC, Spanish is the second most-spoken language in the US, right?
Still uses some Italian. "Ciao" is not Spanish.
Plus, Italian has been one of the more prominent languages for over a 100 years in America, and it's the 8th most used language in the country, mainly used in the North East Coast of America, so yeah, I expected something better than typical Spanish. Would you still think the same if Elichika said "Asombroso!" in the English dub, dubbing over a Russian word. So to me, Funi, you disappoint me.

Quote:
3. English dubs don't do Italian accents because they probably don't want to portray the Mafia, never mind that the Mafia actually originated in Sicily, an island outside the boot of Italy, hence the Sicilian Mafia.
Eh... what? There's ways to do Italian-American, but that doesn't instantly make you a Mafia character. What you are thinking about are cartoons that do it to caricature typical Italian-Americans as mafia gangsters.
Old 2016-08-16, 08:50   Link #33
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
She's not Hispanic either, your point?
See #2.

And is it expected in Europe to know multiple European languages wherever you are from?

Quote:
Still uses some Italian. "Ciao" is not Spanish.
Didn't notice, but I think she did.

Quote:
Plus, Italian has been one of the more prominent languages for over a 100 years in America, and it's the 8th most used language in the country, mainly used in the North East Coast of America, so yeah, I expected something better than typical Spanish. Would you still think the same if Elichika said "Asombroso!" in the English dub, dubbing over a Russian word. So to me, Funi, you disappoint me.
So how did they dub "Horosho" then?

And yes, as stellar most Funi dubs are, they suck so hard at translating foreign accents they don't even bother to do so. In the Funi dub of A Certain Magical Index, they didn't even bother giving British accents to decidedly British characters Index, Laura Stuart, Sherry Cromwell, and Stiyl.
Old 2016-08-16, 11:19   Link #34
Ulin

Quote:
See #2.

And is it expected in Europe to know multiple European languages wherever you are from?
We are expected to know English

The funny thing is that when a character in a show actually speaks Spanish, in the Spanish dub (at least, the ones from Spain, I don't know how they do it in Latin America) they usually go with Italian
Ulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-16, 17:38   Link #35
Nork22

Quote:
Funny enough I'm not European, but I know they have to learn English cause of the Brits. My point thought, I was expecting an Italian accent at least from this dub seeing as Mari's profile notes her heritage. Doing an accent is not a hard thing for a decent actor to do.

Quote:
So how did they dub "Horosho" then?
They didn't. BZ/NISA left it as is even though the pronunciation was suspect.
Old 2016-08-16, 20:44   Link #36
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Wait, "si" is yes in italian too. hahaha
Old 2016-08-17, 04:38   Link #37
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Wait, "si" is yes in italian too. hahaha
So I guess the main complaint then is not enough Italian. Either Jamie doesn't speak good enough Italian or Funi just plain suck at translating European accents.
Old 2016-08-17, 07:36   Link #38
Ulin

Quote:
Doing an accent is not a hard thing for a decent actor to do.
Really? I'm still waiting for one actor who can do a decent spanish accent (what I have found at most is a so so Latin accent... I remember watching The Bourne Ultimatum and listen to Matt Damon in Madrid and thinking... Ok, I don't know if someone is really going to understand that) so... In fact, you can count on the fingers of one hand the japanese seiyuus who can make a decent english accent...
Ulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-17, 07:44   Link #39
AntonKutovoi

Also, accents are not always obvious to the people of other languages. I mean, I can somewhat slightly tell the difference between British English and American English (not touching different words), but if you'll ask me to sound British, I'll probably sound like a lame parody of Benedict Cumberbatch or David Tennant.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-17, 07:47   Link #40
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulin View Post
Really? I'm still waiting for one actor who can do a decent spanish accent (what I have found at most is a so so Latin accent... I remember watching The Bourne Ultimatum and listen to Matt Damon in Madrid and thinking... Ok, I don't know if someone is really going to understand that) so... In fact, you can count on the fingers of one hand the japanese seiyuus who can make a decent english accent...
And even fewer Japanese seiyuu who are actually fluent in English and other languages. At the top of my head I could only remember Yuko Goto (she actually studied as an English translator in Nagoya), Saori Hayami (though I struggle looking for clips of her speaking in English) and Nao Touyama (Karen-chan and Chitoge were awesome). Not really sure if I missed anyone else.