AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Accel World

Notices

Old 2012-04-15, 00:52   Link #721
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

This episode totally reminds me of the old game Full Throttle.

Spoiler for Comparison pics.:

Endless "Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen." Soul
Old 2012-04-15, 02:13   Link #722
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
After watching episode 2
Spoiler:
I'll openly admit to laughing out loud at "full contact Photoshop Wars GX"

But yeah, as someone who's known exactly what Haruyuki has gone through (Without the .hack nonsense to elevate it) It's sort of interesting to see and know exactly why he does some of his dumber things (Sandwich slap).

All I'll say is thank Christ my HighSchool is now rubble, no longer able to give that kind of "education" to Scotland's youth.

But I digress.
Conan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 02:49   Link #723
ImagineThat
Cant think of one Sorry

It was always going to be the ultimate test to see if i could stomach Haruyuki angst in animated form but so far so good, i must be gaining an immunity to it. I also thought animating the health meter depleting and showing the hud throughout the course of the match is a very nice touch and added to the drama of the fight. I know there were meters at start of a match in the manga but i cant remember if they frequently kept popping up, at least in this ash roller fight anyway.

I know this is a VR game, but it just begs the question with the gazillion anime adaptations of fighting games why none ever thought to utilise a similar technique?

Anyway its been very enjoyable so far and the opening/ending themes would be my only major criticism at this point. Knocking on wood that it doesn't go downhill as the next ep is where i jumped off from the manga.
ImagineThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 04:03   Link #724
Tsukou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post

There's also the fact that besides the character being fat, there isn't anything else much to him. He still has a good family (as far as we can see). He still has friends. And no matter what inferiority complex he has towards them, there's no excuse for him rejecting their help when it's offered to him.
While this point was expanded on by someone else (and while I didn't know his parents were divorced, but it seemed like he was alone even in his house considering he made his own breakfast, and had to ask for lunch money before leaving), it seems to me like you just don't understand bullying.

There is a reason a lot of bullying goes unnoticed. Haru even mentions it in the first episode, he could get them suspended, but then what about after that? And maybe it's an illogical feeling, but for men at least, I can understand the feeling of being unable to ask for help, even in a helpless situation. That somehow asking for another person's help would make him unable to live with himself. It's a sense of illogical pride as a man. It's basically, so you get teased and bullied, then what? You go cry to your friends, but that just makes you feel even more pathetic, and you'd much rather be bullied and keep it in then go run to friends. That's just how it is.

Saying you find it unbelievable that he would turn down help from his friends is a statement I just can't agree with, and to me, makes me think that you've never experienced that kind of humiliation before. And for someone with the title "story analyst", I find it kind of funny that you look at the same story I see, and find it unrealistic. Many children in Haru's shoes would likely do the same as him, and is a reason that bullying is a very serious problem, because a lot of it does go unreported, and especially for children who are growing mentally, can cause so many problems. Bullying isn't something to be underestimated, especially when it comes to how it effects people, because it can be completely devastating.

And for people who disagree with the magical girlfriend premise, I found it semi-believable because he's able to get such ridiculously good scores in VR games, so I mean he would ideally make a good VR fighter. Obviously she's on another level, but Haru probably stands apart from most people. Hard to say if it's even magical girlfriend, because at this point she seems to be using him for her own reasons, but we'll see how things develop.
Tsukou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 12:37   Link #725
00Coyote

I'm having too much fun with Kuroyuki-hime, I haven't really said much about the rest of the show, but I'm dreading that it will be more of the same 'standard generic fighting story with added MMORPG grind'

I hope I'm wrong, it'd be great and exciting if it doesn't go like this, but a story like this, I swear, they are written via a standardized check list, filling in the blank with X gimmick. The story will go something like this:
Spoiler for predictions:

Don't make it so, Japan! Prove me wrong, point and laugh at the standard story. Show us something interesting!
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 13:28   Link #726
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Episode 2 was really good.

The Accelerated World scenes continue to be visually impressive and a lot of fun to watch. This first motorcycle-riding antagonist has proven to be a lot of fun too!

I have a theory on Kuroyukihime that might help to explain her obvious fondness for Haru.

Kuroyukihime is clearly something of a minor (if not major) celebrity. People in that sort of position often have to put up with a lot of fakery, a lot of smooth but somewhat insincere talk, and a lot of ego and pride and superficial shallowness, in their interactions with others.

Haru's extreme humility, and his lack of pretense, perhaps appeals to Kuroyukihime a lot. She may find it refreshing, perhaps even liberating. She can "let her hair down" with him, so to speak, and not feel like she needs to fit some image that has been thrust upon her.

Anyway, that's just an idea.

I will say that I like Kuroyukihime a lot. She has the finesse and style of a Hitagi or a Homura, but the kindness of a Tsubasa or a Mami. So she's an extremely charming character, that adds an awful lot to this anime.

The highlight elements of this anime so far are definitely Kuroyukihime, the overall visual style, and the action scenes. If Haru is merely Ok, those three highlight elements will be enough to make this an excellent anime show.

But that's the key question: Haru. So far I think the anime is doing a decent job with him, but he is leaning a bit more towards angsty/emo than what I'd like.

Still, Accel World is looking very good so far.

8/10 for Episode 2.
Old 2012-04-15, 16:19   Link #727
xxxplizit
triple-echhi

Send a message via AIM to xxxplizit Send a message via MSN to xxxplizit Send a message via Yahoo to xxxplizit
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
They censored a middle finger... heaven forbid that some teenagers see a rude gesture... or *gasp* pick it up (like they don't all already know it by the time they're twelve). Think of the children!
Damn Japanese censorship (or so to speak), though I wonder if that was recent since the last time I saw a middle finger on broadcast was on Pani Poni Dash Ep 1 and Panty and Stocking's Anarchy Video.

Spoiler for Middle Finger. NSFW??:
Old 2012-04-15, 17:28   Link #728
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Spoiler for scan / possible spoiler:

Last edited by Ravenblitz; 2012-04-15 at 20:13.
Ravenblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 18:14   Link #729
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
I'm having too much fun with Kuroyuki-hime, I haven't really said much about the rest of the show, but I'm dreading that it will be more of the same 'standard generic fighting story with added MMORPG grind'

I hope I'm wrong, it'd be great and exciting if it doesn't go like this, but a story like this, I swear, they are written via a standardized check list, filling in the blank with X gimmick. The story will go something like this:
Spoiler for predictions:

Don't make it so, Japan! Prove me wrong, point and laugh at the standard story. Show us something interesting!
Accel World is originally a Light Novel series before it's a anime or manga, so if you want to know exactly what happens or if your predictions are accurate, feel free to drop over to the LN thread about this we have at AnimeSuki (BTW, watch out for spoilers if you or anyone ever go in there)

As for your guesses... well I'll just say TVtropes as a site exists for a reason Some things are just omnipresent in all anime/LN/manga/etc. Though IMO, Accel World at least isn't as predictable as some of the other shows I've seen.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 18:22   Link #730
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblitz View Post
Spoiler for Image:
Spoiler for Question:

Last edited by Rennir; 2012-04-15 at 20:05.
Rennir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 18:23   Link #731
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
Is that Kuroyukihime's normal avatar?

Spoiler:
Old 2012-04-15, 20:00   Link #732
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mura View Post
Spoiler:
Well...the image should be in spoilers...however:

A) It was released by the anime guys;
B) You just need to watch the opening to see each and every one of the relevant avatars in the series.

Seriously...unless the anime is based on a manga or LN or VN that you've read already...NEVER WATCH THE OPENING...or at least play much attention to it because nearly every anime openings contain massive spoilers.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 21:00   Link #733
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxplizit View Post
Damn Japanese censorship (or so to speak), though I wonder if that was recent since the last time I saw a middle finger on broadcast was on Pani Poni Dash Ep 1 and Panty and Stocking's Anarchy Video.

Spoiler for Middle Finger. NSFW??:
there are better examples, like dragonball and naruto, but, im just especulating here: i think that the censor means some kind of anti-obcsenity in the brain burst game, i mean they could had just not animated that, also thats hardly something that if uncensored would push DVD/BD sales.
Old 2012-04-15, 21:22   Link #734
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
there are better examples, like dragonball and naruto, but, im just especulating here: i think that the censor means some kind of anti-obcsenity in the brain burst game, i mean they could had just not animated that, also thats hardly something that if uncensored would push DVD/BD sales.
If I'd have to guess, they are going more for implied obscenity than actual obscenity, not successfully but that's the idea. Sorta like early rap videos would mosaic random crap in the scene just to say 'look how gangsta we are, can't show you all this, cause it's really pictures of My Little Pony.' and let the imagination make it more obscene that it really is.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 11:00   Link #735
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
While I can't say anything due to spoiler, having a pig who is an actual person as a quest item is so wrong.....YET I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING
Old 2012-04-16, 11:20   Link #736
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
While I can't say anything due to spoiler, having a pig who is an actual person as a quest item is so wrong.....YET I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING
The Silver Pig
-100 all stats
+50 damage vs food
Special ability: When activated you will create a layer of sweat and BO that will repel all female avatars.

Sells for -500 gold (Yes, you have to pay people to take it)
Old 2012-04-16, 11:23   Link #737
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I'd rather acquire Niko-chan though.....hehe

Her Red Duel Avatar in the OP is more than enough hint of her cuteness ^^

BTW -100 all stats and +50 dmg seem contradictory...If you have to pay people to take it then you can add the "Thrown Grenade Weapon" attribute to it
Old 2012-04-16, 11:34   Link #738
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
BTW -100 all stats and +50 dmg seem contradictory...If you have to pay people to take it then you can add the "Thrown Grenade Weapon" attribute to it
Ah! But the special ability takes out like...60% of the Accel World population!
Old 2012-04-16, 12:09   Link #739
klare

lesson learned, make your body stronger, not the bike

still suspecting Kurohime's real intention, i hope the story will not go like long ago Haru saved/helped a girl once and now the girl wants to repay him...
Old 2012-04-16, 14:21   Link #740
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mura View Post
Spoiler:
Why does she call it ugly? 0_o

Tags
action, cyberpunk, harem, sci-fi, shounen