Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-19, 15:08   Link #301
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
I think many people think too highly of themselves.
It's only natural when you're you and everyone else is only a figment of your imagination.
Old 2006-06-19, 15:10   Link #302
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

^ Yes, like that goat in a labyrinth in a Planescape novel
Old 2006-06-19, 15:25   Link #303
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless
God shut up dude, seriously.

What he's saying is that it was popular to the extent of people running around recommending it at every corner, and when he watched it it disappointed him.
THAT is the definition of over-rated, so stop getting on his case just because he said your favorite anime is over-rated.

Seriously the people on this board can be Nazi's sometimes.

The same thing happens a lot. People recommend Fate Stay Night, and are all over it, but the truth of the matter is- It has a lot of plotholes if you didn't play the game. So the real recommendation would be, "Fate Stay Night is really good! But make sure you play the game at the same time that you watch it or else you won't understand what's going on". Someone who comes here and gets recommended to watch it, will watch it, and be like "wtf, how does Archer know Illya, why does Archer know so much about Shirou, what happened to Rin? What happened to Sakura? Where the f is Fuji chan?"

This is an opinion based topic, so get your stupid nazi-style argumentation out of it.

Naruto and Bleach have NOTHING on One Piece. Nothing at all. I love Bleach, hate Naruto now, but one of the main things I like about Bleach is its seriousness mixed with some humor and romance. It reminds me a lot of Rurouni Kenshin, but it's done a lot better because you can literally love EVERY character in Bleach. There is not one uncool character. Kenpachi, Abarai Renji, Kamimuro(sp), Tousen, Captain Aizen, Hitsuguya, all of them... They're all super cool in their own way.

But trust me, when you get about 40-50 episodes into One Piece, you get hooked. It's a REALLY nicely done anime. The fact that the animation/drawing given the chibi look because of animation budgets? Why not make it so that your isn't all complicated and real not only makes it different from other anime, but gives them consistency. How many people complain about some super detailed anime that has episodes where the animation is done cheaply or characters are characters ALWAYS look the same, because your animation isn't expensive to begin with?
Whatever how am I being a Nazi...dude 0_o? If it is an opinion based topic I can say mine can't I?

It's not the point that it is my favorite I still don't find it in my opinion to be classified as over rated. So I'm a Nazi.....
Old 2006-06-19, 15:46   Link #304
rooboy
Umeboshi!

First let me preface this by saying: I haven't seen One Piece (dubbed or otherwise) so I have absolutely no opinion of the show at all. I've watched the first episode of Naruto (that's it), and really only watch Bleach because .... actually, I can't remember right now why I watch Bleach, but I'll probably remember at some point. However, when you say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless
But trust me, when you get about 40-50 episodes into One Piece, you get hooked.
If I have to watch forty or fifty episodes of something before it gets to the point where it's going to hook me, that's as close to my definition of bad as it can be. I'm sure that's not really what you meant. I'm sure what you meant to say was something like, "It's good from the beginning, but about episode 40 or 50 it moves up a notch and becomes truly special." But the way you wrote it indicates that it's trash for those first forty or so (!) episodes. And that's just silly. No one should have to sit through that many episodes before a series starts to get good.
Old 2006-06-19, 15:51   Link #305
jedinat

I liked One Piece quite a bit but got tired of it after 70 episodes or so... I didn't really like it's story telling method of introducing a new bad guy and then having that arc dedicating to getting rid of him... too predictable.
Old 2006-06-19, 15:53   Link #306
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

^ Most shounen do that

Well, One Piece has to be one of the good shounen out there. The problem with it is that you have to watch at least 10 episodes, but realise that you're watching a very long shounen anime. Obviously, if you don't like shounen, even the drama that's ahead on various parts won't do it for you. But the thing I like about One Piece is that it can deliver drama pretty good and it's just shounen.
Old 2006-06-19, 16:05   Link #307
jedinat

Quote:
^ Most shounen do that
True, lol... but One Piece did it so much more... blatantly. I guess.
Anyways, if I had seen it a bit earlier I would prolly have fallen in love with it, but by that point I had already watched soo much shounen. I was a bit tired of the genre and had begun to move on to better things. lol
Old 2006-06-19, 16:29   Link #308
d.Lughie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
True, lol... but One Piece did it so much more... blatantly. I guess.
Anyways, if I had seen it a bit earlier I would prolly have fallen in love with it, but by that point I had already watched soo much shounen. I was a bit tired of the genre and had begun to move on to better things. lol
Nah.. they just started quite slow.. its because they were sorta introducing the characters because.. unlike many animes.. their main character is not Luffy himself..
The main characters are the SH crews..

after 40-50 episodes.. all the 1st five characters are introduced and in the arlong park arc.. its starts to jump right up!!! so high its still jumping up till now.. arc after arc... the story gets more interesting because it gets deeper and deeper.. and the further the story goes.. you kinda like know more of each of the characters.. however.. then you'll realize how much you know everyone of them.. except Luffy himself...

before entering the grand line.. we never knew how deep this story is gonna be.. we thought that other pirates are the ones that's gonna be Luffy's crew's enemy.. however.. when you reach this very arc.. you'd understand that actually its not... its the government themselves..

I know you guys wont understand much of what I said.. but try it.. its the best shounen..

It consists lots of dramatic, hillarious, mystery, betrayal, adventure, action, everythng.. not much romance though..
what makes it so interesting is the plot twist,. the story telling...
Missing 100 years of History, Will of the D, Raftel, Revolution, Pirates, Sichibukai, World Government, Poneglyph, Pirate Summit, 3 admirals, Devil Fruit, original and unique fighting skill..

its fun and all.. try it!! If its not good.. how could it ever be one of the best selling shounen titles??
Old 2006-06-19, 16:54   Link #309
jedinat

I did try it. lol. 72 episodes of it in fact.

I may pick it up again some time. But right now I'm not in the mood
Old 2006-06-19, 17:02   Link #310
d.Lughie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
I did try it. lol. 72 episodes of it in fact.

I may pick it up again some time. But right now I'm not in the mood
Good2.. ^^

72.. hmm? still doesn't get you?? well.. I dunno what to say.. it is the start of Grand Line though.. but you haven't reach alabasta.. cuz usually ppl got hooked after Arlong Park.. I got hooked after Alabasta.. maybe you should try alabasta again... or restart everything until alabasta.. ^^

however though.. 72 episodes hasn't got what I listed above right?? ^^ That's just 5 crews only though.. you haven't seen the 6th and 7th.. the 7th crew is my favourite member.. ^^
those things comes out much later.. ^^
Old 2006-06-19, 17:05   Link #311
bayoab

Quote:
As it is, the more people vote, the more valid a rating is.
This is theoretically true, this is actually false for mathematical and psychological reasons. The simplest way to explain it is: If I like Bleach and hate Naruto and someone asks me what to watch, I am not going to say "Don't watch naruto". I'm going to say "Watch Bleach". This is how the concept of overrated exists.

Last edited by bayoab; 2006-06-19 at 17:11. Reason: Grammar
Old 2006-06-19, 17:21   Link #312
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
actually, I can't remember right now why I watch Bleach, but I'll probably remember at some point.
Perhaps it's just that you've been doing it for so long, you feel the need to continue, as not doing so would be like saying all the time you've spent watching will have been a total waste? There are a few manga series I'm following for that reason. That's probably why I'm watching Inuyasha as well. Well, at least that's going to end on cn soon. There's what 20 -30 episodes or so left? I don't even remember anymore.

@d.Lughie If someone has seen 72 episodes of a series and didn't like it, I think it's safe to say they don't like it. Even if you love One Piece, it doesn't mean everyone else has to as well.
Old 2006-06-19, 17:27   Link #313
saznami

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTR
When something is rated too highly by someone then it's overrated.
The media might be the one that it's overrated by. But DBZ doesn't get as much praise as a lot of the hyped up animes out there. It's underrated to some anime fans.
Firstly, isn't that what i said?

secondly, alot of my friends like DBZ and it is one of the few anime known to people who may not even no of any other anime. Maybe there is a difference in certain countries. I don't know where your from but where i live it is seen as good entertainment. There is nothing wrong with me disagreeing with this, because i extremely dislike it, not because of it's popularity, but because of it's bad animation, stupid charaters, and it's all round terrible theme/story.

I may have completely missed your point and i am sorry if this was complete dribble. I'm tired and i want to go to bed. um... night.
Old 2006-06-19, 17:58   Link #314
d.Lughie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
@d.Lughie If someone has seen 72 episodes of a series and didn't like it, I think it's safe to say they don't like it. Even if you love One Piece, it doesn't mean everyone else has to as well.
Nah.. I'm not forcing him to like it.. I just told my opinion and told him to continue.. ^^

I don't disagree with him for not continuing though.. don't get me wrong..

However though.. many doesn't seem to wanna try at all.. that's what makes me mad.. >.< because they are so unreasonable.. ^^
Old 2006-06-19, 20:38   Link #315
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Perhaps it's just that you've been doing it for so long, you feel the need to continue, as not doing so would be like saying all the time you've spent watching will have been a total waste? There are a few manga series I'm following for that reason. That's probably why I'm watching Inuyasha as well. Well, at least that's going to end on cn soon. There's what 20 -30 episodes or so left? I don't even remember anymore.
I would agree with that (I can actually remember a time when I felt that way), except I understand the concept and trap of sunk costs. Sunk cost is probably one of the two or three most useful lessons I got from economics. Now when I don't like something, I just give up on it.

I know there's a reason why I like Bleach, but it's escaping me at the moment. Oh well, probably not that important. I have a feeling it's probably missing in the filler, which is why I can't really remember it.

Anyway, I still maintain if you have to get to episode 72 (!!!) before something becomes good, it's probably not that good to begin with. Someone who gives something 72 episodes has gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above and beyond the call. I don't usually give a series more than two or three episodes.
Old 2006-06-19, 20:48   Link #316
Arimfe
SharpenerOfTheBoxcutter

Location: where Grudge is Greatest, Rancour Endless and Malice Eternal(at school^^;;)
It's good to see One Piece getting its well deserved attention. Personally I don't have any opinion of it being overrated or underrated, I just think it's a very good series. So good I still remember how it used to bombard me with all kinds of emotions. A very good series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.Lughie
after 40-50 episodes.. all the 1st five characters are introduced and in the arlong park arc.. its starts to jump right up!!! so high its still jumping up till now.. arc after arc... the story gets more interesting because it gets deeper and deeper.. and the further the story goes.. you kinda like know more of each of the characters..
It just keep getting better and better for you huh? That's good for you. ^_^
I agree with you in a way, but I also disagree a little bit.
For me, next time one of the good side characters gets "killed" or mortally injured, I won't burst into tears or become super sad anymore. I'll just think "Oh, too bad for him, *shrugs* Ah well, I'm sure he'll come back again in 10-15 episodes alive and well."
That's about the only thing I can complain about One Piece. The fake deaths are "slightly" overused and won't impact me anymore. I'm currently at eps. 193. I would say the last 90 episodes or so is floating in 50-85% range of the "goodness" it used to be for me. 100% being the Drum Island, I liked those episodes alot. If it weren't for all the fake deaths, I would deem the potential of the last 90 episode to be in the 150-175% range, basically, "damn, it just keep getting better and better."

I'm not saying it sucks, on the contrary. I'm just thinking that it has so much more potential if only they would please halt the abuse of fake deathing.
All in all very good, and I still enjoy it alot.
Old 2006-06-19, 22:02   Link #317
d.Lughie

Yup.. thats the only things bothering me too though.. I am quite unhappy about that.. However.. because of the story development and everything.. those disappointments are covered and mended.. ^^

@rooboy
the 1st 50 episodes I wouldn't say its not good.. I can say its at the same level as Naruto/Bleach... but after Arlong Park and after they enter GL.. it soar high leaving those 2.. ^^

I'm not boasting or bluffing.. you did see the selling rate of the manga in Japan right?? Naruto with 31 vol.. sold for about 61+ million.. OP with 37 vol sold for about 115+ million.. doesn't that say something??
Old 2006-06-20, 03:41   Link #318
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit
3. Dragonballz- Ok, so I enjoyed Dragonballz as a gateway anime. However, it pisses me off when I go to the store and see 50 kazillion dvd's of Dragonballz and few enough of everything else. It simply receives too much attention in the U.S. when there is (now) much better stuff out there.
In order to understand why DBZ was such a hit, don't compare it to other anime. That's not the genra it filled. Basically, before DBZ, all there was for superhero shows was this piece of flaming garbage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Friends or at least that's all I ever saw on. Now, the action in this "superhero" show is almost nonexistant, which is further compounded by the fact that they try to focus on their superpowerless hippy scooby-doo rip-offs than on the superheroes. On top of that, it's based on DC comics =/ Anyways, when DBZ came along, it was everything that the current superhero shows weren't. It had action, and almost nothing but action. It had suspense in that the characters could die. Even if they could be ressurected, and still live on in the afterlife, it was still alot more than any other show. And most of all, it had characters who can use any number and variety of energy blasts, explosions, nifty trick moves, super-fast movements, and on top of that they could all fly. The sheer variety and hugeness of awesome supercool explosions and blasts and punches/kicks was overwhelming. Heck, just having the characters do a repetitive animation where they seemingly teleport to 5 different locations in the air and punch/kick each other while the spectator characters talk about how they're moving so fast they can't keep track was awesome.

So, basically, DBZ isn't overrated, it was just a crapload better than all it's american competition.
Old 2006-06-21, 21:54   Link #319
Mena-san
Jimena Garcia

Send a message via MSN to Mena-san
Inuyasha- yup, never liked this one.
FMA- Another one, I dont like it either
Pita-Ten- very cute, but Misha anoysyou some times
Blach- I know it awsome, so I don't balme it for being over rated.
DBZ- yeah, long time ago eveeeeery one watched it (I even did)
Old 2006-06-22, 15:15   Link #320
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Jinsoo Send a message via MSN to Jinsoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
1 - 5) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
I'm totally with you there.

Overrated anime, eh? For me...

1. The Meloncholy of Suzumiya Haruhi. Smack me for saying my opinion, kay? But yeah, I seriously don't see how this anime is the best of the best. For Christ's sake, I've seen better stuff. It's so annoying how this crap is EVERYWHERE now. Why is this so popular? Seriously, it's like all the other anime from its genre, why does this one stick out so much? And don't give me that crap like I've only seen the 1st ep. I stopped on episode 7, right in the middle. Kyon's constant narration gives me a headache and I literally had to take Tylenol every time I had to watched this. The characters are all out of whacked too. Haruhi's got ADHD or something. I pity Mikuru. Every guy fapping to her and want her to get raped by Haruhi. Gosh. If they brought MoSH to the US, I'd die. It'd be Naruto all over again >_<;

2. DB series. Okay, the 1st series, it was pretty good. But afterwards, they kept on going over the same old crap. What the hell. It's so repetitive. I can't see how anybody still likes this series. It got old reeeeeeally fast. And they're pretty much milking money off a series that should've died soooooo long ago.

3. Gundam series. IMO, G Gundam was probably the best one out of all the Gundam series. The rest of the series are basically a snooze fest. And Seed is so angsty, what the heck man?

4. Naruto. It's just like MoSH except with ninjas T_T Just as annoying. It was okay for a short period of time. But it kept showing the same repetivity DB had. IMO, I think they should've just left Naruto in Japan. Never should've brought it here. Now there's 10 times as many Narutards >_>;

5. Pokemon. A Digimon rip-off(remember kiddies, Digimon came 1st.). Pokemon seriously should've died a long time ago along with DB. How the hell..can you understand what the hell they're saying? PIKA PIKA! ...Huh? And um, what the heck were they thinking sending out 10 year olds on a journey? Like that world has some pretty huge, scary pokemon. They could get eaten. :X

6. Duel Masters. C'mon. This anime was stupid. A rip off of Yu-gi-oh. A bad rip. T_T; We don't need another anime that has to do with a card game. We really don't.
Closed Thread