AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-12-19, 02:15   Link #1061
EasternOtaku14

Preview for Episode 12 is out!

They're not even trying to be subtle anymore.
EasternOtaku14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-19, 02:22   Link #1062
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
Seems like S1 was the big seller for Hibike. The lack of bait and being closer to the souce is not good for the fans (?).

Spoiler for actual data:

Spoiler for Complete list:
Looks like the normal S2 drop that most shows get though.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-19, 02:43   Link #1063
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Tactical nuke, incoming! D:
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-19, 03:09   Link #1064
Romanticide

If they're gonna shoehorn in bland het, they could have at least given them development. Shuichi is so static and Kimiko acts like he has a disease any time he tries to get near her. I mean, ffs.
Romanticide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-19, 03:55   Link #1065
Bordix

Calm your tits. It's just two characters having a conversation regarding nationals, I dont see anything of shipworthy here. What's more worthy of noting is Kumiko not irritated when talking to Shuichi perhaps they've made up (again) how consistent of Kyoani!

I do find it amusing how much assholes Shuichi puckers up whenever he appears on screen
Old 2016-12-19, 04:07   Link #1066
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I think the thing of concern here is that they just "started talking" (read: not the geh banter after the day Mamiko left) despite being in the same band (although in different sections). If there's development between them, it's mostly subtle—Shuuichi continues to be in touch with Kumiko's family and Kumiko's tendency to be not honest to herself has been elaborated throughout the second season.

The only thing I want from this upcoming episode is for this talk to be substantial and to explain everything that had been left in the background in favor of the character arcs for Nozomi/Mizore and Asuka.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2016-12-19, 04:18   Link #1067
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Incoming rant.

Been silently following this season of Hibike (ignoring as much of the butthurt shipwars along the way) but this is exactly the kind of stuff that pisses me off about Kyoani.

They ramped up the "yuribaiting" to 11, been doing it the whole season, then they tack on Taki/Reina drama in a way that doesn't really make sense and now the PV looks like they going to Shuhorn Kumiko/Shu. Like seriously what the heck. Choose a pairing, develop it properly and stop maliciously riling up the fandom in a way that is obviously going to get them riled up. It's pandering to the extreme, insulting to its audience and frankly it's just absolutely disgusting. I honestly don't care which "ship wins", but I do care whether if it is properly developed whether it be het, yuri or transexual or w.e.

There's been some excellent episodes (the ones that focus on the music) but they've been some god awful ones (the ones relating shipteasing drama) and I'm extremely tired of the latter.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2016-12-19 at 04:46.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-19, 04:33   Link #1068
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Break both a man's leg, laugh at him as he tries to get up, and take away his tools to attain success, and still going with it anyways.

And I thought Okada males had it bad.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-19, 04:38   Link #1069
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

It somehow reminds me of Haruchika.

Haruchika tried to become a mystery by adding those cases that both Haruta and Chika have to solve.
Haruchika tried to become a music-themed story by integrating the plot thread of having to gather members for the school band.
Haruchika tried to become a romance by focusing on a love triangle between Kusakabe-sensei, Haruta and Chika.

What happened? When they focused on one thing, the other aspects are pushed into the background, and after one cour, all you got were pieces of a story that are incomplete at three places.

But hey, at least we don't have to deal with finding hidden stashes of coins or musical notes written in blood.

Old 2016-12-19, 04:41   Link #1070
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Hey, at least Haruchika handled certain similar issues (ones that were just ranted upon) with more respect. It would have been much better with more than the Potato Ass Works budget and some degree of pacing.

On the other hand, Hibike is an excellent show when it's focused and I am glad it didn't stray off too much and become some noxious junk like pander to all corners series such as Oreimo and/or LN with utterly long title. But there are definitely parts where I feel they should know better, and wave it in people's faces. But whatever, I guess x-bait sells.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-19, 04:51   Link #1071
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Since someone mentioned Potato Ass Works, funny enough this season of Hibike actually reminds me heavily of Hansaku Iroha. The highs were/are really good and lows are atrocious. Except I think the lows for this series is even worse because it's actually insulting to the audience and it's if for some episodes the production stuff are like "let's see how much we can bait/piss off the shippers for the lulz".

Never seen Haruchika so I can't comment on it.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-19, 05:05   Link #1072
BleedingUranium
Who has the most fun wins

With a preview like that I'm significantly more hopeful that a very large chunk of the episode is music. I'm happy.
BleedingUranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-19, 05:06   Link #1073
EasternOtaku14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Since someone mentioned Potato Ass Works, funny enough this season of Hibike actually reminds me heavily of Hansaku Iroha. The highs were/are really good and lows are atrocious. Except I think the lows for this series is even worse because it's actually insulting to the audience and it's if for some episodes the production stuff are like "let's see how much we can bait/piss off the shippers for the lulz".

Never seen Haruchika so I can't comment on it.
I bet KyoAni hated shippers since it has been attacked multiple times by rabid shippers. Especially after Free! First attacking Utsumi and accusing her of favoritism, then attacking KyoAni's twitter for not acknowledging their gift (masking it as Makoto's birthday box when it's really MakoHaru birthday box) even though they have been acknowledged by KyoAni earlier.
Never piss off somebody I guess
EasternOtaku14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-19, 05:14   Link #1074
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingUranium View Post
With a preview like that I'm significantly more hopeful that a very large chunk of the episode is music. I'm happy.
Here's hoping. I've already seen far too many anime crash and burn in the final few episodes this year, the last one just a few days ago with Izetta- I do not want to see another underwhelming ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternOtaku14 View Post
I bet KyoAni hated shippers since it has been attacked multiple times by rabid shippers. Especially after Free! First attacking Utsumi and accusing her of favoritism, then attacking KyoAni's twitter for not acknowledging their gift (masking it as Makoto's birthday box when it's really MakoHaru birthday box) even though they have been acknowledged by KyoAni earlier.
Never piss off somebody I guess
Die-hard shippers can be scary indeed.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-19, 09:13   Link #1075
Bordix

Think people are just overreacting. Kumiko treating Shuichi normally and not some kind of plague is somehow making people lose their minds. I guess this bizarre and out of this world alien-like gesture is incomprehensible to them. Shuichi's closeness with Kumiko has already been established. We at least know he used to have dinner at her place before and that he's quite familiar with her family especially Mamiko. You know maybe just maybe she doesn't absolutely loath him at all, and perhaps this might be the same situation as her older sister? Kyoani is merely trying to tie lose ends here which honestly should been over last season, but eh.
Old 2016-12-19, 09:18   Link #1076
AB079
Banned

Wow just thanks to this preview the cancerous yuri fans are going rampage everywhere, no wonder why S1 threads on different forums included Animesuki were awful to read.

Kyoani does it again, proving the only thing they have is a truck filled with baits and good animation, considering they sucks at adapting the source properly (yeah yeah they don't need to be 100% faithful to the source, but they don't need to show us a twisted story with lots of changes just to sell more, that's having zero respect for the author and the Novels). That said I'm quite happy about the fact Season 2 is around 80% closer to the Novels, while Season 1 barely reached around 60%, also ther is not that much yuri trash to pull something nonexistant as Kumiko/Reina "romantic" relationship as they did on the first season which leads to get posts like the one from @Romanticide. The other side of this coin are the people who thinks there are "symbolism" on this when the show is pretty straight forward with everything that want to say if we leave aside the elements being put there by Kyoani.

We're full Nationals now thanks to the previous episode and people still can't use their brains to see the romantinc interactions are literally over at this point. I still have my doubts tho, considering I know the source everything depends on what's Kyoani's desition at the moment to choose what parts they want to adapt but for now people needs to understand this is it, the Nationals are here and it is something that involves everyone in the group.
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-19, 09:27   Link #1077
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Think people are just overreacting. Kumiko treating Shuichi normally and not some kind of plague is somehow making people lose their minds. I guess this bizarre and out of this world alien-like gesture is incomprehensible to them. Shuichi's closeness with Kumiko has already been established. We at least know he used to have dinner at her place before and that he's quite familiar with her family especially Mamiko. You know maybe just maybe she doesn't absolutely loath him at all, and perhaps this might be the same situation as her older sister? Kyoani is merely trying to tie lose ends here which honestly should been over last season, but eh.
For all of the subtleties they gave to the rest of the story, why does this aspect of Kumiko's life, which is closer to her family and neighborhood, suddenly got shafted? There is clearly some kind of bias going on.

Old 2016-12-19, 10:14   Link #1078
IceHism

I feel like the yuri baiting pretty much died since ep1 of the second season. I don't remember there being any scenes in this season that resembled the mountain hike in season one so I'm not sure where people are seeing yuri baiting in this season. Though I understand people that are pissed that the second season doesn't have any as compared to the first season. Though it is true that they have not developed shuichi and putting him in now is just annoying either way.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-19, 10:26   Link #1079
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat
Incoming rant.

Been silently following this season of Hibike (ignoring as much of the butthurt shipwars along the way) but this is exactly the kind of stuff that pisses me off about Kyoani.

They ramped up the "yuribaiting" to 11, been doing it the whole season, then they tack on Taki/Reina drama in a way that doesn't really make sense and now the PV looks like they going to Shuhorn Kumiko/Shu. Like seriously what the heck. Choose a pairing, develop it properly and stop maliciously riling up the fandom in a way that is obviously going to get them riled up. It's pandering to the extreme, insulting to its audience and frankly it's just absolutely disgusting. I honestly don't care which "ship wins", but I do care whether if it is properly developed whether it be het, yuri or transexual or w.e.
They've not "ramped-up" the "yuribaiting" at all in this season. If anything, the "yuri" ship took a Taki torpedo amidships and sank before the end of the season it was introduced.

Yes, Kumiko and Reina have a lot of interactions, but if one tries not to look at them through shipping glasses; one finds they are curiously distant for a relationship that's going to go somewhere romantically. Because of the obvious degree of distance between Kumiko and Reina, the only thing a rational viewer can conclude is that they are simply friends; regardless of what's going on in each person's head or pants.

Kumiko got friend-zoned in episode 10 of the first series (when Reina first told her about her love of Taki.) And just in case that wasn't clear enough, her friend-zone got friend-zoned in episode eleven of this series, when Reina's love of Taki matured into something that she, at least, had an idea of how to pursue.. For Reina, it's always been all about the hot teacher; and I feel the series has made that abundantly clear (the ear blushes, the morning teacher stalking ritual, the dead eyes of unhappiness, the yandere-terrritory behavior, etc, etc, etc.)

Kumiko's been avoiding Shuuichi most of the series. But there's no rational reason for her to do so. Just like there was no rational reason for her to hate on Mamiko so much. And they've presented myriad clues that she doesn't hate Shuuichi nearly as much as she claims, and there is at least one hint that her situation with Mamiko has caused her to start to re-think her relationship with Shuuichi.

I'm not bothered by the PV. Kumiko is something of an insomniac, and random plot advancement tends to happen when she can't sleep. All I'm expecting is going to happen between Kumiko and Shuuichi is that she's going to admit that she's been a complete ass towards him; and then we'll find out if Luke Asuka meets her father on Cloud City at Nationals.
Old 2016-12-19, 11:33   Link #1080
Arya

I also thought that Reina and Kumiko have been quite distant the whole second season, and honestly the last episode didn't work much in making them get closer again. I don't know, I felt the Kumiko's "go on, she is dead after all" to be quite inconsiderate and cold coming from someone like Kumiko from any point of view. Coupling it with her obliviousness it felt like she wasn't connecting with Reina at all.

Speaking of the show in general I like to see the two seasons as having two major sparring partners for Kumiko, Reina for the first season that helped her more on her inner self, and Asuka for the second one that helped her particularly in relation with the outside (as I said blossoming as euphonium).
Speaking of Shuuichi, gven that ha has always been on her path to be resumed, I can't see the reason for all the fuss about it. I doubt they will grant him much more than what he already got. I hope at least it will be somehow relevant and meaningful in terms of Kumiko's development.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote