So I was right......

Spoiler for Ep.12:
Old 2016-12-21, 11:05   Link #1182
shanimebib
Neo Venezia-jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Wow, Kumiko even replaced photos with Reina with hairpin
Don't do this. It will only make a group of fans sadder.

I checked anikore and it seems fans in Japan actually loved the episode against the popular belief that they watched it for Kumiko x Reina. It proves that more people loved it for the story than the romance in it.

I have said time and again and now it has already been proved that Kumiko always loved Shuuichi. Fans failed to notice her affection because of how her character is. I can list at least 10 situations that was shown in the anime that got overlooked by fans at large.

I always said don't quote the conversation of the script-writer because it was intentionally misleading.
Old 2016-12-21, 11:07   Link #1183
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Haven't seen it yet but the reactions of the primary Japanese audience has been remarkably tame, majority of the eventual internet whining will almost definitely be from the tangential Western audience.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-21, 11:09   Link #1184
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Haven't seen it yet but the reactions of the primary Japanese audience has been remarkably tame, majority of the eventual internet whining will almost definitely be from the tangential Western audience.
So you don't think preorder rankings will be affected by this?
Old 2016-12-21, 11:14   Link #1185
shanimebib
Neo Venezia-jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
You can check the comments in KyoAni's youtube channel or Hibike's twitter. Most of the comments from Japanese fans are positive. There were even comments that they are rooting for Shuuichi because he is cute. Unlike the comments in "English" which consist of EITHER "wanting to kill a character", "they don't have any taste", "bad-writing", OR "salt is delicious", "go home KxR delusional", "waiting for the shitstorm" etc.
Old 2016-12-21, 11:23   Link #1186
shanimebib
Neo Venezia-jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
I already posted the rankings of Hibike pages ago and yeah, it is getting affected.
I saw your post but you know how most of the anime sell 60-75% of the preceding season almost always so it could be that as well. There are very few exceptions that you can count on your fingers that outsold preceding seasons (Love Live! S2 comes to my head immediately) but rest always had that trend. Even Love Live! S2 was majorly helped by event tickets that came with the purchase of LE copies.

But yeah, you could be right.
Old 2016-12-21, 11:26   Link #1187
AB079
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanimebib View Post
I saw your post but you know how most of the anime sell 60-75% of the preceding season almost always so it could be that as well. There are very few exceptions that you can count on your fingers that outsold preceding seasons (Love Live! S2 comes to my head immediately) but rest always had that trend. Even Love Live! S2 was majorly helped by event tickets that came with the purchase of LE copies.

But yeah, you could be right.
I mean look at this, and then we jumped right into the 5k line. Consider Hibike reached even more than what this ranking show because the re-release (I remember it was close to 12-15k iirc).

What is missing there is phantom world which is one of the biggest Kyoani flops in history.

Spoiler for Final sells:

Found it!
Spoiler for Final data per volume S1:
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-21, 11:32   Link #1188
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

So, it looks like KyoAni played it 100% ... straight. Which should come as a surprise to nobody. Apparently, at least, it was not a surprise for the domestic audience, for whom this kind of thing is par for the course.

I took a look back at the first series, where I discovered that I wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015-05-31, 08:29
Also, the series director is Naoko Yamada, and her hobbies are pushing traditional social values and crushing the dreams of yuri shippers. Which is another reason why I always take Reina x Kumiko as a romantic pairing off the table, because I know that it's going to somehow turn out to be a red herring, and Kumiko's going to end up drifting in Shuichi's direction by the end.
Which, given that Yamada was stated as being responsible for the last two episodes, should've been an obvious death-flag for the ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015-05-26, 13:29
tl;dr - The KumikoxReina yuri-tease thing is going to end up meeting a hobo in a back alley, who'll club it over the head for booze money. The childhood friend will probably win in the end.
Which appears to describe exactly how it went down, right down to the relative abruptness of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015-05-26 16:16
I'm not rooting for either outcome, I'm simply stating the most likely outcome. The studio isn't really big on advocating non-conformity. Common themes in KyoAni SoL series are growing up, letting go of childish things, and embracing traditional Japanese values.

We had yuri elements in K-ON!, but the studio chose to constantly downplay them by making them take place in comical SD style (Spoiler removed) or changing characters in such a way as to de-emphasize the yuri that was present in the source material (spoiler removed)

We had the aforementioned Tamako Market, where a yuri subtext was brutally cast aside so that the show could (spoiler removed).

I mention these two shows, in particular, because they share quite a bit of staff with Sound! Euphonium. End result, the most that'll come out of the whole Kumiko x Reina thing is that Kumiko finally puts that last bit of her past behind her, for good. And then they wind up being just friends. A KyoAni SoL show taking place in contemporary, non-fantastic, Japan simply will not do yuri in anything but a strictly non-romantic context.
And this was before I went and read all the spoilers written by all the smug canon-curmudgeons. I will admit that I later allowed myself to get caught up in the S1E8 furor. But I have the posts that I made before that to remind me that I'd worked out how it was all going to end just by using logic.

Well-played, KyoAni. Well played. You have satisfied expectations 100% with no deviations from the predicted course.
Old 2016-12-21, 11:38   Link #1189
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Quote:
I already posted the rankings of Hibike pages ago and yeah, it is getting affected.

On a side note, yeah Japanese audience is having a really good response to what happened in this episode, while the cancerous yuri fans on the western side wants to kill everyone on Kyoani.
Who care with yuri fan?
This is glorious, always my pleasure to see anime studio to one swoop kill noisy fans especially yuri shippers
Okay my opinion to KyoAni changed to bit better now.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-21, 11:49   Link #1190
shanimebib
Neo Venezia-jin

Quote:
I mean look at this, and then we jumped right into the 5k line. Consider Hibike reached even more than what this ranking show because the re-release (I remember it was close to 12-15k iirc).

What is missing there is phantom world which is one of the biggest Kyoani flops in history.

Spoiler for Final sells:

Found it!
Spoiler for Final data per volume S1:
Here is the complete list:

Just see the trend. Assuming it sells 66.6% which is the average for Kyoto Animation sequels, we are expecting 5,500 copies on average per volume for S2.

Don't mention Musaigen. The story was butchered so much that we don't even want to discuss that.
Old 2016-12-21, 11:55   Link #1191
AB079
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanimebib View Post
Here is the complete list:

Just see the trend. Assuming it sells 66.6% which is the average for Kyoto Animation sequels, we are expecting 5,500 copies on average per volume for S2.

Don't mention Musaigen. The story was butchered so much that we don't even want to discuss that.

Hmmm why isn't there counted the re-release? also yeah I know from first hand what Kyoani did to the source (the volumes were very cheap "for some reason"), ahhh man volume 2 and 3 were good even with all the dark sides and what happens to Mai, at least Reina was the winner, best girl.
Old 2016-12-21, 12:04   Link #1192
shanimebib
Neo Venezia-jin

Quote:
Hmmm why isn't there counted the re-release? also yeah I know from first hand what Kyoani did to the source (the volumes were very cheap "for some reason"), ahhh man volume 2 and 3 were good even with all the dark sides and what happens to Mai, at least Reina was the winner, best girl.
There was a re-release? I don't know about that. Most of the KyoAni shows that got re-release happened after 2 to 3 years of the first release iirc. I didn't know Hibike! S1 had a re-release.
Old 2016-12-21, 12:07   Link #1193
Romanticide

Still don't see why people are saying only "yuri" fans will hate this. As if actual LGB+ people won't be horribly upset, and not just westerners who watched this.
Romanticide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-21, 12:34   Link #1194
deadite

Man all this shipping talk and no one wants to discuss

Spoiler for Nationals Result:
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-21, 12:35   Link #1195
Romanticide

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
Man all this shippinh talk and no one wants discuss

Spoiler for Nationals Result:
Is that good or bad? Did they show the performances?
Romanticide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-21, 12:36   Link #1196
AB079
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanticide View Post
Still don't see why people are saying only "yuri" fans will hate this. As if actual LGB+ people won't be horribly upset, and not just westerners who watched this.
Pleaasssseeeeeeee
Spoiler for In a nutshell:
Old 2016-12-21, 12:46   Link #1197
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Finally, the shipping talk can come to an end. As expected, both sides have proven to be cancer. I'm almost glad I didn't watch season 1 live. I'm almost embarrassed to be a part of this fandom if it really has to devolve into murder threats if the show doesn't go their way. It didn't turn out the way I would want, but this is fine as well.

Thank the few of you that were talking about the show itself.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-21, 12:48   Link #1198
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Can we please bloody shutup about shipping for a second and actually talk about the finale once an eng subtitled ep has been released. This is getting ridiculous.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-21, 12:49   Link #1199
deadite

It's not the finale. There's still another episode next week.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-21, 12:50   Link #1200
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanticide View Post
Is that good or bad? Did they show the performances?
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
It's not the finale. There's still another episode next week.
It seems anime will have enough time to put some vol.4 content that can fit into the timeline in the final ep.