AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-05-11, 06:04   Link #61
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
IV breeding is a pain in the butt because unlike EV, IV depends on luck and you can spend hours trying to breed for the right nature and have perfect IVs. There are tools that determine the IV from the stats, but most won't care. IV doesn't make much difference since a high IV only gains like 1-10 which won't make that much advantage.

Also, getting the perfect Hidden Power type is pain too because those depend on IV values as well.
Thing is though I've more or less got manipulating IV's during breeding down to the wire the problem is I spend more time booting up the slowpoke lv100 Wifi battle to figure out my IV's than I do actually breeding and its annoying. Natures aren't a problem since you can use the Everstone method to lock in good natures.

Also you're right IV's don't matter too much with proper EV training as long they're decentish but there are IV's which for me do matter being speed, HP and the main attacking stat your using. When you consider a difference of 1 speed is already enough to make you go second and if you know most Pokemon speed bases its nice to know if the opponent has no chance of outspeeding you. In the case of HP its for substitutes and 'pinch' berry activation.

If the certain thing I'm training doesn't need speed than switch speed for either of the defenses.

Eitherway for me the big hope for me with this iteration is more improvements to the online play (quicker please), a way of finding opponents without friend codes and those minor touches to make this the definitive game for breeding. Considering GSC introduced breeding I think they may as well go the whole length.

Quote:
Definitely don't need more Pokemon... We already have enough... Any more, and soon we will get some downgrade evolution of Farfetch'd
Farfetch'd is well overdue for an evolution that makes it...I don't know...useful? They did it for a bulk of the more useless cast in 4th Gen...and the not quite as useless. (Why did they evolve Dusclops, its already plenty powerful. =_=)

Also not all the new Pokemon look ugly and out of touch considering I'm from the same old school gen of players I've found plenty I love. Seriously gotta love some of these designs. These three especially are my faves of the new gen.

And I think people sometimes forget the original gen had insults to life like these...

Last edited by Sety; 2009-05-11 at 06:19.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-11, 10:01   Link #62
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
Farfetch'd is well overdue for an evolution that makes it...I don't know...useful? They did it for a bulk of the more useless cast in 4th Gen...and the not quite as useless. (Why did they evolve Dusclops, its already plenty powerful. =_=)
But that's what is good! It would be sad if every pokemon suddenly got useful... You need the ones that remain weak and only usable for fun, after all. *kira*

Empereon, kokkoii yo, Empereon.
The 4th Generation do have good designs (like, Empereon)... The ones I mainly have a problem with are the ones that evolve from the 1st generation, because most of them just look worse... Like the already mentioned Magneton's evolution...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-11, 11:48   Link #63
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I never really cared about how the Pokemon looked like, I mostly just go for the stats, looking good is only a bonus. Though my favourite Pokemon Gardevoir, is my favourite because it looks pretty and is a great psychic Pokemon.

I liked the new evolved forms of the 1st Gen, simply because they are much more powerful, especially Rhyperior, which is just awesome.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-11, 14:07   Link #64
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
But that's what is good! It would be sad if every pokemon suddenly got useful... You need the ones that remain weak and only usable for fun, after all. *kira*
Well thats what the Little Cup is for, but yeah it just saddens me I can never use the silly duck in a serious battle. Theres always bound to be a joke Pokemon in every gen for the sake of it Luvdisc, Farfetch'd, Chatot.

Quote:
I liked the new evolved forms of the 1st Gen, simply because they are much more powerful, especially Rhyperior, which is just awesome
Definitely a far cry from Rhydon and its habit of....dying in 1 hit...

Mind you theres a certain point I have to draw the line at liking Pokemon for their stats, Garchomp and Giratina Origin are just...plain broken. Good thing the community generally bans Garchomp, it was getting sorta ridiculous how you'd see it in every team. Too bad official rules make it legal but thankfully official rules are Double Battle.

Quote:
Like the already mentioned Magneton's evolution...
I seemed like the next logical step though unless you just made Magneton into 5 Magnemite's stuck together. Funny thing to notice about Magnezone's design though is that its the same as Probopass. Its 3 first stage pokemon that became fused but then the middle one simply grew freakishly large.
Old 2009-05-11, 14:54   Link #65
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Though my favourite Pokemon Gardevoir, is my favourite because it looks pretty and is a great psychic Pokemon.
*nods* Always try to get one on my team in every game as soon as I can. Still love Alakazam over Gardevoir, but because I don't really trade with others and can't get it and with the new system that makes the elemental punches physical attack, I haven't gotten much chance to use him recently..

Quote:
Mind you theres a certain point I have to draw the line at liking Pokemon for their stats, Garchomp and Giratina Origin are just...plain broken.
Ah~, so I heard. I don't really know why Garchomp is considered so broken though... Something to do with it's moveset?
I... understand Giratina. Event Pokemon so I can't get it though. Fuh...

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2009-05-11, 16:13   Link #66
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Quote:
Empoleon ROCKS. Even being a really new pokemon, he's my favorite these days. Beautiful and very capable in the battles.

Another new pokemon that i love is one that looks like a wolf, but i don't remember the name. Gonna search now.
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-11, 17:46   Link #67
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Ah~, so I heard. I don't really know why Garchomp is considered so broken though... Something to do with it's moveset?
I... understand Giratina. Event Pokemon so I can't get it though. Fuh...
Its everything about Garchomp, at first people assumed it was fine. Another 'legendary' 600 base stat pokemon with a 4x Ice weakness deal with it the same way you deal with the other 4x weak legendaries. Problem was it wasn't long till people realized it was bulky enough to survive Ice Beams, too many resistances or immunities despite its big weakness, faster than 3/4 of the stuff in the game and even had enough attack to even 2hko the Uber legendaries or 1hko with swords dance.

Plus it had the right moves to cover every single type in the game. So basically most teams ended up almost completely all Garchomp to the point where he was still being used twice as much as the second most used Pokemon. The pressure of knowing he could be played alone was enough to make people realize I need to be able to counter it or else I'm dead and there went two free slots in your party. One counter wasn't enough since one good prediction by the Garchomp user could already destroy it.

Ever since his ban teams have actually become more diverse which only solidified his ban even the current most used Pokemon Scizor has nowhere near as wide a gap in usuage compared to the 2nd or 3rd most used.
Old 2009-05-11, 17:51   Link #68
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Thing is though I've more or less got manipulating IV's during breeding down to the wire the problem is I spend more time booting up the slowpoke lv100 Wifi battle to figure out my IV's than I do actually breeding and its annoying. Natures aren't a problem since you can use the Everstone method to lock in good natures.

Also you're right IV's don't matter too much with proper EV training as long they're decentish but there are IV's which for me do matter being speed, HP and the main attacking stat your using. When you consider a difference of 1 speed is already enough to make you go second and if you know most Pokemon speed bases its nice to know if the opponent has no chance of outspeeding you. In the case of HP its for substitutes and 'pinch' berry activation.

If the certain thing I'm training doesn't need speed than switch speed for either of the defenses.

Eitherway for me the big hope for me with this iteration is more improvements to the online play (quicker please), a way of finding opponents without friend codes and those minor touches to make this the definitive game for breeding. Considering GSC introduced breeding I think they may as well go the whole length.
I use Pokemon Battle Revolution to find out the IV stats of a Pokemon since Level 50 is considered accurate when calculating the Pokemon Stats.

Come to think of it, breeding in the older games are painful because it's not possible to control which nature to get since Everstone in Emerald and D/P/Pt allows a 50% chance of getting the same nature of the Female parent. Also, hatching is alot quicker because it can use the Pokemon ability like Magna Armor to cut the time to hatch in half. The good thing about G/S/C generation is that Stadium 2 provided a list of breeding groups.

Quote:
Garchomp is mainly considered broken because of it's ability Sand Veil and combine that with Brightpowder and Sandstorm, Garchomp is free to sweep all your Pokemon since your attacks won't hit. Also, there are not alot of Pokemon that can counter Garchomp efficiently... The most used Pokemon to counter Garchomp is Weavile, but switching it in is difficult because most of the time, you will get OHKO if you switch it in.
Old 2009-05-12, 01:03   Link #69
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Its everything about Garchomp, at first people assumed it was fine. Another 'legendary' 600 base stat pokemon with a 4x Ice weakness deal with it the same way you deal with the other 4x weak legendaries. Problem was it wasn't long till people realized it was bulky enough to survive Ice Beams, too many resistances or immunities despite its big weakness, faster than 3/4 of the stuff in the game and even had enough attack to even 2hko the Uber legendaries or 1hko with swords dance.

Plus it had the right moves to cover every single type in the game. So basically most teams ended up almost completely all Garchomp to the point where he was still being used twice as much as the second most used Pokemon. The pressure of knowing he could be played alone was enough to make people realize I need to be able to counter it or else I'm dead and there went two free slots in your party. One counter wasn't enough since one good prediction by the Garchomp user could already destroy it.

Ever since his ban teams have actually become more diverse which only solidified his ban even the current most used Pokemon Scizor has nowhere near as wide a gap in usuage compared to the 2nd or 3rd most used.
Quote:
Garchomp is mainly considered broken because of it's ability Sand Veil and combine that with Brightpowder and Sandstorm, Garchomp is free to sweep all your Pokemon since your attacks won't hit. Also, there are not alot of Pokemon that can counter Garchomp efficiently... The most used Pokemon to counter Garchomp is Weavile, but switching it in is difficult because most of the time, you will get OHKO if you switch it in.
Ah~, I see... Competitive battling(?) must be tough with all of this and all...(´・ω・`)

Old 2009-05-12, 04:26   Link #70
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

I never into competitive battling before I tried the Wi-Fi battle. I just realized that there are many strong(?) opponent out there, and that made me got into competitive battling

Yes, Garchomp is quite uber. There's one time that I survived against an Ice-type pokemon because of the Sand-Veil. And then after his Ice-type pokemon fainted, I OHKO all of his other pokemon with Garchomp. Guess I was lucky ^^;

I wonder if they're going to balance some of the pokemon. .

@serenade : I thought that the theory was quite serious until your explanation xD;;
Btw, what was it about Natasha with the haunted house and the regis ?

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 07:36   Link #71
Emerald Emblem
Casual gaming

Thank goodness, I was always hoping Gold and Silver wouldn't be left out of a more updated look. New Bark town looks a treat and the wind waker wind effect just adds to it. I just wonder how everywhere else and their different atmospheres will be portrayed.

I may avoid getting Platinum just to attain this game, I mean I have heard this is going to be released in Japan at least this Autumn.

Current Anime DVD: Kannagi + Clannad AS <3 | Current Anime Blu Ray: None </3
Emerald Emblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 08:25   Link #72
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Wow this is so exciting. Crystal was my very favorite of the series and now it's gonna be made into a DS game.

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 14:59   Link #73
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
@serenade :
Btw, what was it about Natasha with the haunted house and the regis ?
The one about Natane/Gardenia (was it...) is pretty long-winded or something... Because of what she says in the game in that house where you can re-fight the gym leaders (for some reason... she won't say it to me...), it is suspected that she might have been involved in the incident in that mansion in the forest...
It was a long story trying to explain it.

For the Regis (and the dots), it seems there are many hints that link them to war.
To meet them, you have to read the dots (or just look at some walkthrough website). The result can make you think of war-related things.
Also, all three can remember "Explosion" using Heart Scales. The Heart Scale is used to remember a forgotten move. Which means, perhaps, that it might be trying to remember a big explosion that happened in the past. Maybe it is referring to an atomic explosion or air bombing. But with just this, you could say this is still in the territory of a delusion. But, there is more proof that leads to certainty.
It seems Ruby and Sapphire are modeled after Kyuushu. Positioning them, Regice sleeps in Nagasaki, Registeel in Miyasaki, and Regirock in Ooita. As everyone knows, Nagasaki is a victim of the atomic bomb. The other two have also suffered from air bombing.
Which perhaps means that the fact they used dots were to tell that there were people who fell victim to war.
Which is the connection for the Regis.

But... Then in the Pearl/Diamond, yet another one appeared. Regigigas.
You have to bring all 3 Regis to fight him, who is sleeping in that cave in that snowy town.
Also, he is known as the king of the Regis.
As to why he has connection to war like the other Regis... Shinou is modeled after Houkaidou. When you check the snowy city's position with the real Houkaidou...
(......Too much kanji I don't know...) Anyways, there is a monument there for... something... related to war... that reads "War will repeat, seriously" <--(I think that is what it means...).
In reality, Houkaidou was bombed in 1945/7/14.

End.

Is what the movie explains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoreDoll View Post
Wow this is so exciting. Crystal was my very favorite of the series and now it's gonna be made into a DS game.
Except the one coming out isn't Crystal, but Gold/Silver.

Old 2009-05-12, 22:27   Link #74
TubZzz
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to TubZzz
i think these versions will be released around November 21st to coincide with the original versions 10th year anniversary... they say it'll be out in Autumn but they mean the last month of Autumn

i don't wanna wait that long
TubZzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 08:05   Link #75
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Oh man, I am for sure coming out of retirement when this game gets released out here in the states. I liked Gold/Silver as much as Red/Blue. But also the fact that Red(Ash) is the hidden and final boss. Not to mention, a good way to level up a little faster towards 100. haha. so many memories....the three legendary dogs, Ho-oh/Lugia...haha. The new generation will get a taste of what the old timers have been training with. haha i feel so old saying that.
Don't get me wrong. Pearl and Diamond were good. Its just the Pokemon didnt feel as appealing as the previous generations. And thats why I retired before even completing Pearl or beating the final 8th gym leader.
Ultima_Rasengan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 08:27   Link #76
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Quote:
Yes, Garchomp is quite uber.
Ugh, you can say that again. Even if I send out 2 Staravias to lower it's attack, it can still hit hard. Not to mention it's HP and speed. It can probably outmatch the legendary birds and dogs.

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 14:33   Link #77
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Garchomp in most cases can do fine in Uber tier, although it's outclassed by Rayquaza. Just give it a Life Orb, do one Sword Dance and use Outrage and it can make a big dent on other Pokemon in Uber tier... if you let him have the chance to sweep.
Old 2009-05-14, 16:11   Link #78
Ryuujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubZ View Post
the signs were obvious that this remake was going to happen...

Spoiler for Platinum:
Actually, I believe the point at which a G/S remake was inevitable was when both FR/LG and D/P made references to it (heavily implying the jackass rival from G/S was Giovanni's son, for example)...

Quote:
IV breeding is a pain in the butt because unlike EV, IV depends on luck and you can spend hours trying to breed for the right nature and have perfect IVs. There are tools that determine the IV from the stats, but most won't care. IV doesn't make much difference since a high IV only gains like 1-10 which won't make that much advantage.

Also, getting the perfect Hidden Power type is pain too because those depend on IV values as well.
Not to mention the game never actually tells you IVs and EVs even exist, let alone how they work...

Quote:
I wonder if they're going to remake crystal too. .
I don't know why they would, they didn't remake Yellow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
The added baby forms of 1st gen pokemon are not quite annoying to me as the added evolutionary forms of 1st gen pokemon. To me, most have a lot to be desired in their designs. Magnezone is just an atrocity and there is no way I'd ever evolve Magneton into such a thing (it looks like a UFO). Don't really care for Magmars or Ryhdons evolved forms either.
On the other hand, a Farfetch'd evo might, you know, not suck.

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side.
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!"~Dinobot
Ryuujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 17:52   Link #79
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuujin View Post

On the other hand, a Farfetch'd evo might, you know, not suck.
Well I've never liked Farfetch'd in the first place. I'm completely fine with evolutionary forms of old Pokemon as long as they don't look but ugly or they actually have a point to making them evolve. For instance Blissy and LickyLicky seem totally pointless to me. They look barely any different than their previous evolved forms and they don't really gain any significant special attacks or abilities from being evolutionary pokemon.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 22:18   Link #80
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Not to mention the game never actually tells you IVs and EVs even exist, let alone how they work...
Actually, the official strategy guide for Platinum from Nintendo now explains about EV and how to use them and not to mention that EV training guides are widely available on the internet in a easy to do way with all the specific wild Pokemon and trainers to battle, so it's not something that is completely vague, but with EV training, you need to record how many Effort Value points you earn (like HP, Attack, Def, Sp. Atk, Sp.Def and speed). Sites like Smogon already gives you sample EV spreads and movesets to follow, so training one isn't that hard depending on if you want to or not.

Also, Pokerus and those braces also speeds up the process.

Tags
nintendo, rpg