AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-05-13, 19:36   Link #1981
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
It is interesting how Cell could spawn himself but apparently each of his juniors is apparently stronger than an experienced SSJ yet cumulatively their lot is weaker than their creator.
Yeah, seriously. They could match Vegeta and Trunks and beat Goku. Yet, they couldn't regenerate at all.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 22:13   Link #1982
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I always thought the Cell Jr's were one of Toriyama's least thought out ideas.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 01:50   Link #1983
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I actually liked Cell Jrs even though, yeah, it was just out of the left field, even for Dragonball. Each one of those things being stronger than Super Saiyans... lol. If Cell had his way on a single planet, galactic domination sounds rather easy.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 03:38   Link #1984
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
In theory nanomachines are ever expanding and it takes nanokillers to stop them. If cell had this instant regeneration thingy, all he had to do was leave a spawn somewhere just as backup, if he ever needs to respawn or something. But nah, as usual it came down to being too cocky to take precautions and a kamehame being better than nanokillers.

By the way, the original Picolo did EXACTLY that. And then the idea was dropped...
...Maybe Piccolo jr wasn't in an age to impregnate himself yet... (nasty thoughts)
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 04:58   Link #1985
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushroomSamba View Post
Hmm, for me, it'd probably come down to either the 12th or 13th movie.
Yeah, 12 and 13 were pretty good. 12 because it didn't take itself entirely seriously, giving us some cool action-scenes while still being pretty funny, and 13 because... well, honestly, it was the only DBZ-movie I've seen that actually felt like a movie. It actually had a proper plot, with decent character-development and so forth. Heck, if I remember it right, the big fight against Hildegarn only took up the last 20 minutes, which is a big improvement from the other movies, which were pretty much just one-hour fight-scenes.
Old 2010-05-14, 13:54   Link #1986
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
In theory nanomachines are ever expanding and it takes nanokillers to stop them. If cell had this instant regeneration thingy, all he had to do was leave a spawn somewhere just as backup, if he ever needs to respawn or something. But nah, as usual it came down to being too cocky to take precautions and a kamehame being better than nanokillers.

By the way, the original Picolo did EXACTLY that. And then the idea was dropped...
...Maybe Piccolo jr wasn't in an age to impregnate himself yet... (nasty thoughts)
Though given the fictional properties of Ki/Kamehameha it isn't out of the question that it could vaporize nanobots.

Also, Piccolo Daimao could do it, but his children did not look like Namekians. This is because Piccolo wasn't originally going to be an alien, but you might still be able to explain it away given the framework of the story. Supposedly all Namekians of that elder dragon tribe can have many children (like Guru from Namek), so the fact that Piccolo was only the evil half of a dragon tribe Namek means he can't spawn true Namekians but instead corrupted, weaker ones. Unless he gives up his own life, which created Jr.
Old 2010-05-14, 14:03   Link #1987
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
So why didn't Piccolo have kids?
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 14:38   Link #1988
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
You'll notice that in the Cell and Buu arcs, the power boosts after recovering from battle aren't nearly as significant as those from the Freeza arc. If they were, the villains wouldn't pose a serious threat.

Indeed, Toriyama would be cracking up at our in-depth discussions concerning power. In all honesty, I don't like discussing power levels in Dragon Ball Z. Basically, the person with the higher power level would always be the victor.
IIRC not always. Didn't Trunks have a higher power level than Perfect Cell? But lost cause of the lack of speed obviously.

Quote:
That's the 2nd Cooler movie you're talking about, and its title is "Clash!! 10,000,000,000 Powerful Warriors". It's only referring to the number of cyborg coolers in the film, not their power levels. This was actually my favorite DBZ movie. What about you guys?
For me the two Specials, History of Trunks and Bardock, Father of Goku, are easily the best ones and I pretty much consider them an official part of the story since they're both very well done that they have no inconsistencies with the series itself as far as I can remember, unlike nearly every other movie. I like how dramatic they are and that they add a lot to those characters.

But if we're talking about just the Movies themselves, then the Bojack one would be my favorite. Seeing THE badass SSJ2 Teen Gohan again, and this time even with the Goku outfit, and was pretty darn awesome. Not to mention Future Trunks had his most badass look in the series in it. And tournaments are always fun naturally.

HMs to the 2nd Cooler, Janemba and Tapion movies.

For all his popularity, the Broly movies were actually my least favorite ones. Especially the first one that tried to ruin Vegeta's image.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 18:11   Link #1989
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
So why didn't Piccolo have kids?
Well I think it is a voluntary choice, from what I remember Daimao did it on purpose and Guru did as well (to repopulate Namek).

I agree with Endless on movies, the History of Trunks was probably my favorite followed by Bardock.
Old 2010-05-15, 10:18   Link #1990
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
IIRC not always. Didn't Trunks have a higher power level than Perfect Cell? But lost cause of the lack of speed obviously.
You're right. It seems like the 3rd Grade SS transformation is the only power up in the series that doesn't augment all of one's stats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
But if we're talking about just the Movies themselves, then the Bojack one would be my favorite. Seeing THE badass SSJ2 Teen Gohan again, and this time even with the Goku outfit, and was pretty darn awesome. Not to mention Future Trunks had his most badass look in the series in it. And tournaments are always fun naturally.

HMs to the 2nd Cooler, Janemba and Tapion movies.
I like the 2nd Cooler film the best due to nostalgia (it was the first DBZ film I ever saw) and lots of action. Piccolo was such a badass with his intellect in taking out almost all of the robots by himself. It was great to see Vegeta play a big role over here. He was durable enough to take a huge beating, unlike in most of the other films where he gets taken out in a few hits. Plus I loved how Cyborg Cooler was so ruthless in how he would manhandle his opponents.
Old 2010-05-15, 16:29   Link #1991
Vicious108

Quote:
I like the 2nd Cooler film the best due to nostalgia (it was the first DBZ film I ever saw) and lots of action. Piccolo was such a badass with his intellect in taking out almost all of the robots by himself. It was great to see Vegeta play a big role over here. He was durable enough to take a huge beating, unlike in most of the other films where he gets taken out in a few hits. Plus I loved how Cyborg Cooler was so ruthless in how he would manhandle his opponents.
Very true. Those are the main reasons as to why it's one of my favorites as well.

And Cooler was actually a fairly badass villain unlike most of the other movie ones which barely had a semblance of a personality outside of "MUST KILL". I love his exchange with Goku after Goku uses instant transmission for the first time in their fight.

Cooler: *looks impressed*
Goku: *being cocky* That's called instant transmission.
Cooler: I know. It's one of my favorite techniques. *uses it himself and beats the crap out of Goku*

Pure win right there.

And yes Vegeta and Piccolo actually doing something worthwhile really sets that movie apart from the others. My main complaint with the movies overall is their portrayal of those two. They always made these stylish "save the day" appearances, but then they just got beat to shit by the main villain in a matter of a seconds. It was depressing.

Another reason I like the Bojack movie is that Trunks actually gets to have a decent fight with one of the bad guys and finish him off himself in a pretty badass manner. It's not often you see someone without "Son" in their name to get a kill in a movie.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 01:06   Link #1992
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

57 did a really great job with pacing. I'm surprised how much they covered without making it feel rushed.

And, Trunks gets some more creepy philharmonic, which felt great for his mysterious tone.

Spoiler for 58 preview:

Last edited by LuckyCat; 2010-05-16 at 08:55.
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 06:41   Link #1993
Peanutbutter

Spoiler for Ep 57:
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 06:44   Link #1994
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiosai View Post
Spoiler for 58 preview:
Safe to say we won't be seeing Goku and Piccolo learning how to drive.
Old 2010-05-16, 08:02   Link #1995
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Spoiler for Ep 57:
Yeh that was pretty funny to see.

Anyway I'm not surprised by the training fillers we'll be seeing next week.
Old 2010-05-16, 09:18   Link #1996
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Heh, yeah Piccolo wouldn't normally care about that, but I think it was just too much of a shock for stoicism. That was my favorite part of this episode, lol.
Old 2010-05-16, 10:33   Link #1997
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
what? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Old 2010-05-16, 10:48   Link #1998
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Is this the actual history as in Trunks' timeline?
Yes, Trunks done gone messed with history (though I don't get why he always seemed upset by it. Obviously his presence and any interaction would affect things. Doesn't he know the butterfly effect?).
Old 2010-05-16, 15:30   Link #1999
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Which is funny, because Goku does in fact drive later in the manga. They could always package that filler as a retouched DVD extra or something.
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 16:49   Link #2000
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiosai View Post
Which is funny, because Goku does in fact drive later in the manga. They could always package that filler as a retouched DVD extra or something.
Or they could just say he learned to drive during those 4-5 years between DB and DBZ.