AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-03-15, 02:50   Link #1
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Oriko Magica (Spinoff manga series)

And from the wiki:
release date: April 12th 2011
Story: Magica Quartet
Art: Mura Kuroe

A translation of the official website synopsis:

"Who is this girl that stand in front of Mami and Kyouko? Another story of Mami, Kyouko and Madoka that has never been shown in the anime."

Thread Guidelines

• Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Linking to scan sites or individual scanlating group sites are forbidden. An acceptable alternative is the series page on Mangaupdates.com.
  • Speculation and what-not is welcome. To make it easier on your fellow forum members, please enclose such speculation in clearly marked spoiler tags.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-04-20 at 18:28.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 15:58   Link #2
Dark Wing

Oh a spin-off with Mami and Kyouko now this looks interesting.
Old 2011-03-18, 18:37   Link #3
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
ugh character re-designs are ugh.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 18:49   Link #4
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
ugh character re-designs are ugh.
Same artist that did the episode 10 endcard

Spoiler for large image:

This has my interest because unlike the other spinoff manga it seems Urobuchi is behind the script of this one.
What will be interesting is that while many people are expecting this to be a prequel but something in the description makes me wonder if that's really the case,it says:"Another story of Mami, Kyouko and Madoka that has never been shown in the anime."

No Homura?So maybe this is an alternate timeline where Homura never became involved in the whole magical girl system?
Old 2011-03-18, 19:14   Link #5
Shadow5YA

Or maybe this is before Madoka and Homura get involved. Remember that Mami and Kyoko became Puella Magi long before Madoka got involved in any timeline.

Perhaps they once worked together, but then something happened which ended in Kyoko leaving the city for another area.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 19:20   Link #6
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Same artist that did the episode 10 endcard

Spoiler for large image:

This has my interest because unlike the other spinoff manga it seems Urobuchi is behind the script of this one.
What will be interesting is that while many people are expecting this to be a prequel but something in the description makes me wonder if that's really the case,it says:"Another story of Mami, Kyouko and Madoka that has never been shown in the anime."

No Homura?So maybe this is an alternate timeline where Homura never became involved in the whole magical girl system?
Kazu-kun put forward a butterfly effect theory for how Madoka Magica might end. If that happens, then Homura and Sayaka never became magical girls in the first place, leaving only Mami, Kyouko, and Madoka...
Old 2011-03-18, 19:47   Link #7
Xacual

I'm not entirely sure why but judging by personalities I would tend to think Kyoko was a magical girl before Mami so maybe we'll get to see that mentorship like Mami tried to mentor Sayaka and Madoka. Or maybe we'll have a third girl mentoring the both of them?

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 19:49   Link #8
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
seems Urobuchi is behind the script of this one.
As if it wasn't obvious how this was going to end

My guess is that this is a timeline where Homura doesn't appear in (as in she never meets Madoka) In a way, this could end up being interesting seeing if without Homura around how would thing play out (Would Madoka end up becoming a Witch here?)
Old 2011-03-18, 21:10   Link #9
zRyuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Or maybe this is before Madoka and Homura get involved. Remember that Mami and Kyoko became Puella Magi long before Madoka got involved in any timeline.

Perhaps they once worked together, but then something happened which ended in Kyoko leaving the city for another area.
It's possible and I would really like the idea. Remember Mami told Sayaka in Ep 2 or was it 3? that she heard/knew about a girl that wished something for others and not for herself, but that story didn't have a happy ending. Maybe she was talking about Kyoko.

Last edited by zRyuu; 2011-03-19 at 02:38.
zRyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 00:51   Link #10
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zRyuu View Post
It's possible and I would really like the idea. Remember Mami told Sayaka in Ep 2 that she heard/knew about a girl that wished something for others and not for herself, but that story didn't have a happy ending. Maybe she was talking about Kyoko.
I'd totally forgotten about that. Nice observation; sounds plausible, especially since Mami and Kyouko never interacted in the anime so we don't know what their relationship was like (assuming they had one, which the premise of this manga seems to imply).
Old 2011-03-19, 08:18   Link #11
duckroll
綺羅星★!

http://www.dokidokivisual.com/news/?ym=201103#350

Yesterday the publisher posted a notice on their site saying that Madoka Vol3 and Oriko Vol1 will both be delayed. They were originally slated to be released on 12th April together, timed to be out 2 weeks after the end of the anime broadcast.

This delay is probably due to the fact that the publisher is no longer certain that the anime will complete its broadcast before 12th April. It would not make sense for the manga adaptation to spoil the ending of the anime before it is broadcast, and it would not make sense for Oriko to be released either before the anime ends, since it was meant to be an "extension" of the story to keep fans busy even after the end of the anime.

There is currently no new release date for both manga, and a notice will be put up on the website when they have more details.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 09:07   Link #12
klare

no surprise for a spin-off looking at the popularity of this show

one thing for sure, it will be very hard for the manga to present Mami's fighting style to be as cool as animated in the anime
Old 2011-03-19, 22:05   Link #13
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I'll be getting this when it is released. Kyouko and Mami? What's not to love...

And the artwork.....it's different, but it's not bad too....
Old 2011-04-20, 08:48   Link #14
Dark Wing

Crazy Theory Time!

Spoiler:
Old 2011-04-22, 02:40   Link #15
yozaku
Always Idle

cover for oriko volume 2

now i believe, oriko is a sequel
yozaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 07:46   Link #16
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
too small... can't see who's in the background... and as to Madoka and Homura, wouldn't it make more sense with their positions reversed?
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 08:32   Link #17
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by yozaku View Post
cover for oriko volume 2

now i believe, oriko is a sequel
How can it be a sequel if Madoka doesn't even exist anymore ?
Old 2011-04-22, 09:46   Link #18
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
She does exist, unknown to the world. Actually, the mention of Madoka in the teaser headline made the idea of a prequel a bit weird, since even if Mami and Kyouko knew each other, they obviously went separate ways long before the whole Groundhog Month. It would have had to be different stories, one about Oriko/Mami/Kyouko, the other about Madoka [and, judging by the Vol 2 cover, Homura?].

The reason why everybody considered it a prequel was because nobody thought Mami and Kyouko would have really lived on in the end.

And if it is a sequel... Except speculahs. Mad speculahs. Oriko becoming a reincarnated Madoka or her medium. Or Madoka becoming able to roam around like Hamlet's father. Or whatever else.
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 13:54   Link #19
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

well it could be a prequel to the timline of the anime, and not to the whole thing itself.
Old 2011-04-23, 13:10   Link #20
christinemarie
Crazy One

It's most likely a sequel, there is no indication that Kyouko and Mami disappeared as well in comparison with Homura who is in despair in the world she can't be with Madoka so she used up all her soul gem so she can be with her once again.
christinemarie is offline   Reply With Quote