Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-07-10, 21:05   Link #4501
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampDream View Post
I hope Uruguay win.

what if that doesn't happen, I mean Mexico is not on his best moment right now.
Well won't watch it then, I usually don't care about CONCACAF. And I have hard time believing Mexico won't make it. The quality of the players they have should be miles ahead of everyone in the region.
Old 2013-07-10, 23:32   Link #4502
DarkJak2050

Sheesh, sorry for asking.
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 21:00   Link #4503
Nerroth
NePoi!

Well, at least Canada made sure not to give their fans anything worth tuning in for in this year's competition...

The Canadian clubs had a mixed record this weekend, but one of them did well:

Old 2013-07-24, 04:03   Link #4504
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

I have a very technical question here, and I would be glad if anybody can answer me on this.

If a defender (I mean a field player, not a goalkeeper) acts as a last man and grabs the attacking player for (let's say) 2-3 seconds, but the attacker manages to keep his balance, somehow shake off the defender and score the goal... could the defender get sent off for committing a deliberate foul in a attempt to deny a goal scoring opportunity? In other words, can insult be added to injury to the team that conceded the goal in the same sequence?

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2013-07-24 at 04:19.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 05:00   Link #4505
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
I have a very technical question here, and I would be glad if anybody can answer me on this.

If a defender (I mean a field player, not a goalkeeper) acts as a last man and grabs the attacking player for (let's say) 2-3 seconds, but the attacker manages to keep his balance, somehow shake off the defender and score the goal... could the defender get sent off for committing a deliberate foul in a attempt to deny a goal scoring opportunity? In other words, can insult be added to injury to the team that conceded the goal in the same sequence?
No, the goal scoring opportunity needs to be denied before the disciplinary action in regard to holding an opponent can be triggered.

From FIFA's Interpretation of the rules of the game and guidelines for referees, Law 12 (fouls):

"If the referee applies advantage during an obvious goal-scoring
opportunity and a goal is scored directly, despite the opponent’s
handling the ball or fouling an opponent, the player cannot be sent
off but he may still be cautioned."
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 05:11   Link #4506
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Almost any foul before the conceded goal would be kinda "forgiven" if the goal was given.

In fact in some case the striker would be better missed (if he was fouled right before shooting). As he may get the opponent sent off (red card) + get a penalty
Old 2013-07-24, 15:34   Link #4507
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

I see. Thanks, guys.
Old 2013-07-24, 23:11   Link #4508
ChampDream
Alive

Congratulations to Atletico Mineiro for winning their first copa libertadores and to Ronaldinho for being the first player to win copa libertadores, champions league and the Ballon d'Or (golden ball) all my respect.
Old 2013-07-24, 23:15   Link #4509
Nerroth
NePoi!

Panama just knocked Mexico out of the CONCACAF Gold Cup, and will meet the USA in the final.

(They will still have a shot at the 2017 Confederations Cup, since the winner of the 2015 Gold Cup will play this year's winner for the right to represent CONCACAF in that competition.)

Actually, there are a couple of stadium-related news items that have surfaced recently. DC United look like they are getting close to sealing the deal regarding a new soccer-specific stadium at Buzzard Point in the District of Columbia. While Triple Properties' owner has made a bid to replace a failing pre-existing construction project with a billion-US-dollar scheme that will include room for an SSS aimed at securing an MLS franchise for the city of Detroit.
Old 2013-07-25, 02:12   Link #4510
solomon

As a resident and soccer fan in the DC area, WOOHOO! Nice.

I've only seen bits and pieces of our boys in the Gold Cup, but we are handling our buisness. It's nice to see us doing so well. Still I think we need to even it up and host at least SOME of the matches in Mexico as well.

Too bad about Mexico petering out (I guess)...., I know FOX was banking on them.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-25, 03:46   Link #4511
Mentar
Banned

Congrats to the US guys. You've been doing pretty well lately, my kudos

(I guess you were lucky not to fire Klinsmann 1 year ago after all)
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-25, 08:46   Link #4512
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
(They will still have a shot at the 2017 Confederations Cup, since the winner of the 2015 Gold Cup will play this year's winner for the right to represent CONCACAF in that competition.)
Was that the reason all the favorites sent b-squads? From what I've seen the Gold cup was a pretty devalued tournament compared to previous editions.
Old 2013-07-25, 14:44   Link #4513
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

well, mexico just played in the confederation's cup. they weren't going to field their strongest side. the US' main side is saved for world cup qualifying. with the exception of donovan, everyone else is fighting for their place.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-25, 15:16   Link #4514
ChampDream
Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
well, mexico just played in the confederation's cup. they weren't going to field their strongest side. the US' main side is saved for world cup qualifying. with the exception of donovan, everyone else is fighting for their place.
I don't understand, the gold cup is a international title so why not put the best players to win that title, unless the gold cup is really not that important and is like basically a friendly match for them.
Old 2013-07-25, 16:39   Link #4515
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
Ah you're right, I hadn't noticed that Concacaf had a round of world cup qualifiers in June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampDream View Post
I don't understand, the gold cup is a international title so why not put the best players to win that title, unless the gold cup is really not that important and is like basically a friendly match for them.
National associations would love to send the best players to every match their national team plays. However the clubs, who pay the wages, are unlikely to agree with their players attending both world cup qualifiers and a tournament during off season and preseason preparations. Winning the Gold Cup is fairly trivial to attending the World Cup, so it's an easy choice.
Old 2013-07-28, 01:26   Link #4516
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

It was a duel to the summit between Montreal Impact and Sporting Kansas City. In the end, rookie Blake Smith won it for Montreal in Fergie Time. As a result, Montreal shook off a 5-game streak without a win and are now only 1 point behind KC with 2 games in hand.

The Sporting KC players were nothing short of being a bunch of petulant kids in this match.

Peter Vermes, you're a c***!

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2013-07-28 at 02:24.
Old 2013-07-31, 00:18   Link #4517
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

Interesting article about DC United building a new Stadium.

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2013...l-but-it-isnt/

D.C. to develop a 20,000-seat soccer-specific stadium at Buzzard Point in Southwest Washington

Average attendance
https://twitter.com/MLSattendstats/s...906624/photo/1
Old 2013-07-31, 10:59   Link #4518
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayote View Post
Interesting article about DC United building a new Stadium.

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2013...l-but-it-isnt/

D.C. to develop a 20,000-seat soccer-specific stadium at Buzzard Point in Southwest Washington

Average attendance
https://twitter.com/MLSattendstats/s...906624/photo/1
Didn't know Washington was so expensive, $150m construction costs and $100m land deal seems pretty insane for just a 20k stadium. In most of Western Europe that kind of money would mean a 50k-70k top of the line stadium .
Old 2013-08-01, 13:22   Link #4519
Nerroth
NePoi!

In the midst of the MLS All Stars losing the ASG to AS Roma, a more interesting announcement was made last night: Major League Soccer is looking to expand to 24 teams by 2020.

There are a number of cities and ownership groups in the ring. Who will make the cut by the decade's end?
Old 2013-08-03, 18:16   Link #4520
SummeryDreams

Could someone please post here something about the EPL? I've always wanted to watch a game of EPL, but I don't know any live stream, or current games. All in youtube are just previews and clips. Thanks! I'm new to football by the way, but I've became interested just recently.
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
football, soccer