AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-01-31, 02:58   Link #121
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
The original question raised was why would we judge or think negatively of people who use swearing more so generally, hence what the long ass explanation was for on a wide range of examples. What you've mentioned about having their place, I've already covered.
I even covered that it doesn't become offensive given that everyone in a certain environment is aware of way/frequency that it's used.
But they have a heads up on the matter, hence the difference. If it's to be used in art, out of courtesy typically there is a warning just so we get that heads up. Those who can't handle it then can leave.
When a person just swears as they like, we have that choice taken away from us, that's an imposition right there and then.

It's like brandishing a sharp knife. Whether they come at you swinging wildly, or whether they sneakily come near you and stab you, no matter how they do it (their style or the way they use it) you're still getting stabbed.
Does the person have 'free right' to brandish a knife, yeah but if someone isn’t accustomed to pain, that’s seriously gonna hurt.
Secondly if someone doesn’t wanna get accustomed to that kind pain so that they can become desensitised then it’d be out of courtesy for the knife wielder to sheathe it some.
You have choices in life not everyone shares the same values. If someone is cursing and you don't like it you certainly have the choice to a)leave or b)tell them to stop. They also have the choice to stop or tell your to deal with it. You can look badly on them but then they could certainly in turn do the same to you for telling them what to do. I assume most of us of are adults and we have to suck up a lot of things but unless that person in cursing in a way to be verbally abusive towards you then you have little say in what comes out of his mouth. You can certainly think less of him, if you want to, that doesn't mean he has to care.

Words power only come from how much you let them affect you. You give that blade its edge so you have no one to blame but yourself. People have many vices they don't like and often avoid but that doesn't mean that you can impose those values on to others. Many people judge people kids wearing baggy clothes as gangster or bad people, they might be right or wrong, but that doesn't mean that person had any less of a right to wear what they want to. Not everyone spends their waking hours wondering how the world perceives them. Others might in fact think the opposite especially if they come from a place where such clothes are common and more relate able.

Forums are different too as while Animesuki might for the most part keep the language clean other anime forums certainly can be much more lax and open. Does that mean the people there are better or worse? From experience there is very little difference. You'll meet likable people and dislikable people on each according to your own preference. Some people might in fact like it much better in Animesuki than others but others might be the complete opposite. I generally do fine in both as I'm not the type to generalize such things and also have a mouth on me and am accustomed to both environments.

I definitely offended my share of people on this forum and rarely, if ever, do I curse here, more out of the fact that when writing my language is generally much different as I don't talk the same as I write, but I'm honest and If I think you're a retard I have little qualms about saying it. I rarely need curse words to express negative feelings and in fact I find them taking away from the impact especially on the internet where they are overused.
Old 2010-01-31, 03:53   Link #122
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
And it’s not ‘attacking’, but rather ‘picking apart’. xD
Basically the statement of yours which struck a chord with me were:

Words are just words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lio View Post
I expected you or somebody else might attack just about everything in my previous post. So, lets play!

Ah, I wasn't talking about dictionary meanings. Dictionary meanings are what I call surface meanings, the definition of words.

Attaching meaning, on the other hand, is attachments you personally give to the word, as you demonstrated here:

So the meaning you give certain words is that they're crude.
I didn’t give them, I abide by them for that their purposes are created for or used in our society in the 21st century. If you wanna call it ‘surface meaning’ to my ‘default meaning’ (what it first and foremost means before context and cultural reference is applied, therefore perverting how to interpret it), then fair enough, but it is by those definitions that we begin to pick words as we like, to convey what we wanna say or feel or set up a scene, tone, imagery, in other words, to set up context in accordance on a simple level.
Quote:
However, I don't brush them off, as I specifically wrote earlier so people won't think I brush them off:
I know and feel "the impact that they can give meaning for us to naturally react negatively to it", I'm acutely aware of its effects. I personally try not to feel those reactions unconsciously and so intensely. Why? Because those unconscious feelings are - unhealthy. This is a conversation on a completely different level for another time so I won't address is beyond that. Anyway, of course I don't deny the inherent force that certain words carry, nor that people have associations/attachments with them. That would just be stupid.
Unhealthy…
You see… I raised my eyebrow offline while reading the tiny font sentence there.
I think I see where you’re beginning to come from approach wise with your first post now, which doesn’t have much to do with swearing in itself.
To hazard a guess, you’re more concerned about breaking the way we think and act based on how we’re raised to get along in society, which you fear may not always be correct.
While it is perfectly fine to question things (which most of us most likely do during our teens to find our own sense of self), it doesn’t change the fact of what swear words are within the English language or what their default purpose is for. :\
In fact, the fact that we’re told that they’re “bad” or “uncivil” and typically are ideally used in moderation is what makes them stronger and sharper to use, hence emphasis is given. It’s their purpose as accepted and abided by those whose native language is English.
(And each language will have their own set of rules)
Quote:
Somebody can say "I love you" without meaning it at all. Perhaps they're saying it just out of duty, when in fact they don't care about the other person at all. This isn't uncommon, and happens in disfunctional families for very real reasons.
That's context.
*scratches head*
Rather, I just take that as ‘lying’ if I have to be honest here.
In an ideal world where humans weren’t such a messed species, we’d;
Say what we mean and mean what we say.
In that example, the ‘mean what we say’ no longer applies, so the person is lying.
But it doesn’t change default meaning of the word and the person lying knows that hence abuses it for whatever sinister reasons they have.
Contextual application to ‘I love you’, in that sense only works if ‘both’ people understand the underlying meaning behind it.
“You said you loved me”
“I didn’t mean it”
“But… but you swore to me.”
“I lied.”

Whether it’s an “I love you!” as ‘thank you’ for receiving a present, or an “I love you!” as in ‘you’re the best’ or an “I love you!” (I’ve missed you sooo much!) – these are all forms of positive appreciation – that’s the ‘default meaning’ to this phrase and that’s what we all go by first when we interpret those 3 words before we think of anything else, it doesn’t change unless placed in a totally contradictionary context like your next example.
Quote:
You can also say "I fucking hate you!" to someone you're very comfortable with in a soft, calm voice, but filled with heart connection and love.
That’s a major paradox and then some, it’d put a person in limbo.
“Do I actually take them seriously (this time) because their words absolutely contradict their supposed emotion?”
You can say it like that, but it’s likely to cause vagueness and confusion.
If someone said that with pure conviction, I’d run faster than a speeding bullet cause I'd think I’d not have long to live and that person is probably a true psychopath.
Quote:
It's kind of like when a friend plays a silly prank on you to make you happy, and you say "Oh you fucker!" But it doesn't take a genius to understand the real meaning behind those words.
That's context.
So you're trying to say that context is the environment/scenario that they’re used. What it does help to do (if both people or group of people are aware of this) is lose the offence, in other words, they all have a heads up on the situation or on each other.
But given your example.

Scenario: Andy plays a prank on Jay.
Pranks usually are at the cost of said victim and reaction is usually one of disdain.
So response of victim usually conveys that.
Oh, you asshole!
Oh you bastard!
Oh you horrible person!
Oh you terrible man!
Oh you big meanie!

What I’ve done here is put different words in the same context, with Jay having experienced the same thing, but using different words which from those alone you could build up different character profiles.
That doesn’t change that to use the f-word would cause strangers near the two guys to flinch, turn their heads or blink in surprise, nor does it change that it’s still an expletive that carries an edge to it, therefore it’s the strongest word there.
I know what you’re saying by using same words in different scenarios give diff context, which I don’t dispute and have admitted in my first response to you.
However, words aren’t standalone and do go hand in hand with their default meaning, this is where I disagreed with you. They have power on their own and swearing is the prime example of it.

Also if a person doesn’t know where the speaker is coming from, culturally, or socially, context is lost in interpretation, even with just normal words, hence I gave the example of textual misinterpretation on the internet.
All we have on Animesuki here are words, so for universal comprehension between us all, we have to take everything at default meaning level before trying to figure out ‘what context is the person on the other side of the monitor coming form here?’
This includes swearing and what they’re first and foremost intended for.
It doesn’t take a genius if they’ve seen your example sentence used in a joking way like that before, but if someone hears/sees it first time while understanding what the f word means and its impact within our society, they’ll be somewhat concerned or alarmed and have every right to be so

*skims response* You disregarded the rest of my post on the basis that I should know where you’re coming from or the point you wanted to raise, so let's see then...
In a nutshell:

You’re saying ‘meaning of words purely come from the context in which they’re placed.
I’m saying, meaning of words are what they are by default (level 1, dictionary level) which is the first reference that we all go by, therefore words have power.
The context or culture reference (the 2nd and 3rd layer I mentioned) then add to it therefore as long as the people involved understand the underlying meaning, then yes, a interpretation of a word can be changed.
In reference to swearing, all it’d do is lose the offence cause by default these words carry offence on different levels, but they all serve the same purpose as I already defined, they’re still bad words, ideally need to be used with care given most public environments.
There’s no changing that, which you claimed to agree with... I think?

Lastly as for the sex example (the best part?) xD
Quote:
It's pretty clear what people mean when we say “Making love” vs “f@!king”, but suppose you were to imagine you were with your lover, looking deeply into each other eyes. feeling each others hearts completely, in communion, with all boundaries dissolved, with no sense of separation remaining, and you say from the deepest place in your heart,

"I'm going to fuck you to death with my love."

Now, what is that?
First off I’d never say that… ever.
And my lover would know to never say anything like that or expect me to take it seriously, rather I’d stop being turned on and laugh my head off and semi-seriously question their sanity.
Death?
Love?
What?!
Oxymoron much?
That kinda talk is psycho level talk, the ones who truly do believe that love is slowly running a knife through our intestines and gutting you in order to ‘set you free’
(Now I feel freaked out) >.>

Not to mention, being done to the degree of ‘death’ just sounds... painful as a woman… :\
If we go by tonal contradiction alone, it was all sharp until the word ‘love’ got in there, that’s still brings confusion or it’s purely a “what the hell” moment.
But I’ll ask you this, if you were in that situation and your lover said that to you, honestly, what would be the first thing you’d think, react or feel?
(Well you wrote it so it’s not as surprising as it was to me who was reading it but I am curious) xD

Tis my Sunday evening so I'm out of the debating game for another week, any replies directly to me will have a major delayed response.
Just a heads up

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2010-01-31 at 05:32.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 05:30   Link #123
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Double post for the final replies of the week
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_rick View Post
You have choices in life not everyone shares the same values. If someone is cursing and you don't like it you certainly have the choice to a)leave or b)tell them to stop. They also have the choice to stop or tell your to deal with it. You can look badly on them but then they could certainly in turn do the same to you for telling them what to do. I assume most of us of are adults and we have to suck up a lot of things but unless that person in cursing in a way to be verbally abusive towards you then you have little say in what comes out of his mouth. You can certainly think less of him, if you want to, that doesn't mean he has to care.
That's a given for most negative related things as someone has mentioned earlier in this thread with the use of smoking, this then turns into a case of general common courtesy issue towards each other now, which as adults we're also meant to engage in more so for general peace and pleasent co existance of which the use of swearing is the same.
Quote:
Words power only come from how much you let them affect you. You give that blade its edge so you have no one to blame but yourself. People have many vices they don't like and often avoid but that doesn't mean that you can impose those values on to others.
Which in a sense says to totally disregard common courtesy simply because the offender doesn't 'like being told what to do' cause it upset someone based on a general social acceptance that said vice is bad.
You're also subjecting us to it not by our free will, which becomes an imposition from said smoker or said person who curses like a sailor.

Your statement is true to a point in terms of 'degree of power differ on how much it affects you.’
However given that if a person doesn't have a 'shield' to let it pass, or just by their personality or environment, cannot "grow thick skin" just to be able to deal with verbal insults of the same language which aren't positive for most part and none of us should have to ideally deal with, means that person being hurt is at fault?
It cuts by default, which given its purpose which forces people to have to endure and toss up a counter.
That to me rather is some serious imposition, right there as opposed to the person swearing just chilling and not using it or being told to stop.
It doesn't 'hurt' them to refrain a little.
You can put someone from let’s say “little house on the prairie” into the world of “Grand Theft Auto” (for lack of a better example) and someone from GTA into the world of LHotP.
On language/swearing usage alone, safe to say the infliction/hurt will occur to the LHotP character for having to endure that, rather than the GTA person having to be in a situation where it’s not used.
(Actually the Godfather movies would be another example)
Quote:
Many people judge people kids wearing baggy clothes as gangster or bad people, they might be right or wrong, but that doesn't mean that person had any less of a right to wear what they want to. Not everyone spends their waking hours wondering how the world perceives them. Others might in fact think the opposite especially if they come from a place where such clothes are common and more relate able.
Which is fine, but as long as we all share the same Earth space, we're still interacting explicitly or implicitly with each other. So some degree, a person will take notice to what's going on around them, especially if you go into a shop, restaurant, or an event that forces to you interact with another human being, that doesn't change, nor does it mean a person should be totally disregarding those around them.
They can, naturally, but they're most likely not gonna get an easy time of it.
Quote:
Forums are different too as while Animesuki might for the most part keep the language clean other anime forums certainly can be much more lax and open. Does that mean the people there are better or worse? From experience there is very little difference. You'll meet likable people and dislikable people on each according to your own preference. Some people might in fact like it much better in Animesuki than others but others might be the complete opposite. I generally do fine in both as I'm not the type to generalize such things and also have a mouth on me and am accustomed to both environments.
It certainly brings a difference in the atmosphere of the forums, given one place which people are being courteous vs another where there's just hardcore swearing and insults flying everywhere.
For someone from the swearing forum, they may come to a place like this and think it all mushy, mushy, too clean and nice for them or in other words 'lame'.
Oppositely, someone from here goes to a crazy ass land (some IRC channels can be an example of this) and may think it really aggressive, harsh and cruel.

The nature of both places are just that, typically given the use of the language of which swearing places a big part in it.
There are rarely any absolutes, it'd be easier to insult someone here without swearing then it'd be to insult someone on the 'other' forum cause it's somewhat turned as they 'norm', but it doesn't change that insulting isn't generally a good thing anymore than the constant use of swearing and its purpose.
Quote:
I definitely offended my share of people on this forum and rarely, if ever, do I curse here, more out of the fact that when writing my language is generally much different as I don't talk the same as I write, but I'm honest and If I think you're a retard I have little qualms about saying it. I rarely need curse words to express negative feelings and in fact I find them taking away from the impact especially on the internet where they are overused.
Ditto with me, purely more on a cultural note rather than swearing one even. We have a running in joke that Americans are ‘too sensitive’ and to insult in the way we do in the UK would land us with a lawsuit for emotional distress.
Ironically I discovered how much truth that held on my first anime forum where the members where 85% American for most part, so for me it was expericing a foreign culture and interacting with foreigners.
While we more or less had the same rules with the English language, how we used it was an issue sometimes.
(And if I was to then add swearing on top of that, it'd really be aggressive from my end).

Rather the very few Brits on there earned a rep for being ‘harsh, cold and overly sarcastic’, it caused a lot of frowns on their end, especially since I wasn’t into sugar-coating.
Now I didn’t have to listen to the people I was upsetting, nor did I have to ‘care’ (sometimes, I didn’t) but it didn’t do me any favours, nothing generally positive stemmed from it, the situation wasn’t nice.
Overal result = Bad.
So I did chill on the sarcasm and I did give them a heads up if I was gonna be direct so they had the choice to listen or run.
But it’s that extension of courtesy which made things better for everyone and didn’t really cost me much save to restrain the way I speak for the majority.
Them being themselves wasn't causing me any unpleasantness, but my being so in some aspects, was, thus things need to be worked out.

To conclude your posts since you’re bent on the point that people don’t have to endure others telling them to stop a habit that generally is unpleasant, my counter is we don’t have to listen without a choice to tune out nor build up a counter against our own personalities and sensitiveness just to be to endure it.
Not even like it but just to endure it.
The effort, strain and stress falls more on those being victimised, so on both ends somewhat of a compromise is needed or the person on the offence side should back down some.

But that’s turning tangent to the thoughts of swearing itself.
Most of us are aware of the general situation, being on one side or the other is where we’re debating or voicing opinion however those at fault don’t really change anymore than a smoker inflicts their smoke onto someone nearby and poisons their lungs just cause it’s a habit of theirs or something they enjoy.

As mentioned to Lio, my fun has to stop here though, so I guess I’ll need to leave replies alone and let others have some fun for a change
*hands reigns over and curtseys*

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 06:34   Link #124
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Double post for the final replies of the week

That's a given for most negative related things as someone has mentioned earlier in this thread with the use of smoking, this then turns into a case of general common courtesy issue towards each other now, which as adults we're also meant to engage in more so for general peace and pleasent co existance of which the use of swearing is the same.
Not relate able. Smoking has negative health benefits and it's not stopped as a courtesy in anyway. It also very dependent on where you go and live on the rules of it. You'll go to bars which allow you to smoke and bars which don't. States/countries have different rules regarding smoking also and you'll find restaurants still which allow smoking anywhere. Some people may chose to choice to go other places but unless the state has specific laws against it the establishment can make any rules they want regarding smoking. Rarely does anyone chose to smoke or not smoke out of courtesy unless they're in someone else's home or business. In their home I doubt few would do that and if on the street even fewer. If you don't want to breath in the smoke you like I said have choices.

Quote:
Which in a sense says to totally disregard common courtesy simply because the offender doesn't 'like being told what to do' cause it upset someone based on a general social acceptance that said vice is bad.
You're also subjecting us to it not by our free will, which becomes an imposition from said smoker or said person who curses like a sailor.
Once again your forcing other people to conform to your standards. Now I'm not talking in a workplace area where the boss controls your speech but out in public then yes that person has a right to speak how they wish too as you have a right to speak how you want to. If something offends you then let it be known that doesn't that person has to conform to your morals standards. Its public. You'll meet a lot of different people in public with different opinions. Its harder to control want kind of people you meet in public. That doesn't mean that these people have to

Quote:
Your statement is true to a point in terms of 'degree of power differ on how much it affects you.’
However given that if a person doesn't have a 'shield' to let it pass, or just by their personality or environment, cannot "grow thick skin" just to be able to deal with verbal insults of the same language which aren't positive for most part and none of us should have to ideally deal with, means that person being hurt is at fault?
It can certainly be positive when you in the right context. When I read your response to Lio I noticed how little you got context when using curse words. Yes, someone can curse and be utterly playful and even sweet. You might not understand that but I don't know how someone on the street should prepare for someone who just doesn't get it.

Quote:
To conclude your posts since you’re bent on the point that people don’t have to endure others telling them to stop a habit that generally is unpleasant, my counter is we don’t have to listen without a choice to tune out nor build up a counter against our own personalities and sensitiveness just to be to endure it.
Not even like it but just to endure it.
The effort, strain and stress falls more on those being victimised, so on both ends somewhat of a compromise is needed or the person on the offence side should back down some.
The problem is that no one is trying to victimize you. If they use curses in a non-confrontational way which is what we are talking about then no harm is intended by them. You might take something negative away from that but that's honestly not their problem. You don't have to endure anything you can always choose, yes I know how crazy an idea it is, to leave the conversation if something, anything, in it offends you.

Quote:
But that’s turning tangent to the thoughts of swearing itself.
Most of us are aware of the general situation, being on one side or the other is where we’re debating or voicing opinion however those at fault don’t really change anymore than a smoker inflicts their smoke onto someone nearby and poisons their lungs just cause it’s a habit of theirs or something they enjoy.

As mentioned to Lio, my fun has to stop here though, so I guess I’ll need to leave replies alone and let others have some fun for a change
*hands reigns over and curtseys*
Once again a very bad example. If I'm walking on the street smoking how am I at fault if you come up to me and inhale my smoke? You have the choice to stand near me or not. I'm not your bitch. I don't blow the smoke down your lungs. Its my right to smoke until the government outlaws it. In public, in my house, in a bar that allows it. I don't lock you into these places and force you to inhale the smoke. Nor do I force you to listen to me or another curse if it makes you uncomfortable.
Old 2010-01-31, 11:57   Link #125
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Slick.... its community pressure. If you're standing at a bus stop and cursing your head off - people are going to tend to ostracize you or may actually object. Cursing has always had the -intent- of offending and is aerial garbage of a sort.

I certainly curse when the situation calls for it... but using profanity casually is a standard clue to mental laziness, limits to vocabulary, coarseness, etc.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-01-31 at 12:28.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 13:04   Link #126
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Slick.... its community pressure. If you're standing at a bus stop and cursing your head off - people are going to tend to ostracize you or may actually object. Cursing has always had the -intent- of offending and is aerial garbage of a sort.
That's truly depends on what kind of community you're in really. Small, large, closed or open. And even then that doesn't in anyway mean that individuals that community need to conform. Yes, it might be beneficial for them too but not everyone cares about such things nor should they. Like I said cursing does not in anyway carry any a malicious intent unless that person makes it so. You can curse casually among friends in a jovial way in which no offense is meant or taken.

Quote:
I certainly curse when the situation calls for it... but using profanity casually is a standard clue to mental laziness, limits to vocabulary, coarseness, etc.
I use profanity often casually does that make my vocabulary limited? Maybe its due to my mental laziness instead huh? I don't think so. Cursing often comes more from the environment you grow up in or often the environment you live in. Cursing like a sailor doesn't really bother since I was one! Not only that it was fairly ordinary where I grew hear people cursing in the street and around. While you may feel it necessary to look down on such a community I'm still proud to have come from there. If I feel comfortable talking with cursing in a non-hostile way, which is what we talking about, then I'm a grown enough man to do so. If you have a problem with this you can certainly bring it to my attention but you'll almost certainly get told to get the hell out of my face unless I'm in a place where its inappropriate. A workplace, church or some else property who doesn't allow it. But out in public? Unless for some reason I'm screaming this in a loud voice then you just need to stop listening in on my conversation. I don't feel people that like to use curse words in conversation are in anyway inferior to those who don't. It has zero influence on that person's mental acuity.
Old 2010-01-31, 13:20   Link #127
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Good luck with those ideas

You yourself just listed a string of caveats that place limits on when and where. Appropriate language usage is highly contextual.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-01-31 at 13:35.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 13:54   Link #128
Slick_rick

Quote:
Good luck with those ideas

You yourself just listed a string of caveats that place limits on when and where. Appropriate language usage is highly contextual.
Don't worry about me I've done well for myself so far with these ideas.

I've never claimed that there aren't times when it beneficial and in your best interests to keep your language clean. This doesn't mean that I think people have to constantly watch their words especially when out in public with friends so they don't offend every Tom, Dick and Harry that passes by. Knowing when to use certain words is part of life but so is knowing when to suck it up and move on if you don't like how someone else is speaking.
Old 2010-01-31, 14:09   Link #129
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Here's some examples I use when discussing language usage: You're at a movie theater in line with friends happily cursing up a storm. Unknown to you, a few people back in line is your boss and her kids. Or someone you're going to have an interview with the next day but haven't met yet. You may have just poisoned those situations.

Perhaps you're on the light rail, or at the zoo. Its actually pretty amazing how often you encounter people who know you or people who know people who know you even in a large city.

Its kind of like posting here or on Facebook... the expectation of compartmentalization or privacy is fading. I don't give out my real name here... but it wouldn't take much rocket science to connect me with my real world persona - so I'd better be comfortable with anything I post.
Old 2010-01-31, 14:40   Link #130
Slick_rick

Quote:
Here's some examples I use when discussing language usage: You're at a movie theater in line with friends happily cursing up a storm. Unknown to you, a few people back in line is your boss and her kids. Or someone you're going to have an interview with the next day but haven't met yet. You may have just poisoned those situations.

Perhaps you're on the light rail, or at the zoo. Its actually pretty amazing how often you encounter people who know you or people who know people who know you even in a large city.

Its kind of like posting here or on Facebook... the expectation of compartmentalization or privacy is fading.
Look, your boss might or might not think badly of you but stuff happens. Does that mean for the rest of your life you need to watching over you shoulder in case you offend the wrong person? I don't think so. Sure, some people ascribe to such a philosophy this doesn't mean I have to. Rest assured I'll never be that type of person. That's a life choice I make as an adult, as an individual.

Does the Slick_Rick have any meaning outside this forum? Not really. Do I keep my facebook private to friends. Yes, sir. Unless you're a friend you have I maintain my privacy extremely well as is my right.
Old 2010-01-31, 17:04   Link #131
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its about choices... what doors do you want to shut - sometimes before you're aware they were there.

As a corollary, I've worn long hair all my life. I chose to deal with the issues that incurred (and they were serious at times in both high school of the '70s and in my later engineering career). It definitely shut the occasional door. However, I'll cut my hair off and put on a tie in an heartbeat on the chance I could interview to teach in Japan. So its about what is important enough to you.
Old 2010-01-31, 19:24   Link #132
Xion Valkyrie

I'm not particularly bothered by it, but I know a lot of people are. Also, I don't really need to swear so I don't usually. Like Vexx said, there's a lot of negative aspects of it if you do it in public, so it's all up to whether or not you like the consequences.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 20:51   Link #133
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
I cuss ALOT.
I use all of the words, though I'm not proud of it.
I've been trying to stop, actually.
AmyElizzabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 21:33   Link #134
Wrath88
Kissing...

Used to be less inclined to swear, at least up till I went into compulsory National Service, and hearing all the instructors throw swear words around, and having to use it a little myself. The wide applicability of the F word makes it so easy.
Old 2010-01-31, 21:35   Link #135
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
not really bothered by it but i think there is a time and a place for it. i think its unacceptable in the workplace or in polite company. the only time i really swear is if im with my mates, playing football or watching football.
Old 2010-01-31, 22:01   Link #136
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal Coast View Post
not really bothered by it but i think there is a time and a place for it. i think its unacceptable in the workplace or in polite company. the only time i really swear is if im with my mates, playing football or watching football.
As much as I hate censorship in general,
I have to agree that profanity has a time and place.

I mostly won't hold myself back when I'm alone or
around someone who knows how I am. But I will
when I'm at work, meeting new people, or in a
public establishment just as a courtesy to those
who do think of it as a "statement of one's mental
capacity".

I will on occasion substitute words instead of a
direct outburst unless I'm truly pissed off about
something. Like I will usually yell “Snap” or “Fark”
instead of their less socially accepted forms.

I have noticed myself using foreign words like
“やれやれ”, “アホー”, and most recently, “Färsk”.
Old 2010-01-31, 22:21   Link #137
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeru View Post
I have noticed myself using foreign words like
“やれやれ”, “アホー”, and most recently, “Färsk”.
Those Japanese words are nowhere near English swear words... 'Yareyare' isn't a swear word at all, and 'aho' equals 'idiot'. So IMO, they're all right.

Have you noticed that the first thing most people learn when they're learning a new language is swearing? It's so weird. People always ask me about swearing in Korean or Japanese, I don't get what they want.

Heh, I always swear in Korean or Japanese. It helps a lot when I accidently let a word slip, because no one understands
Old 2010-02-01, 16:49   Link #138
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Among friends swear words become fairly normal adjectives and nouns. Noone has any problems with using them and we don't think much of them.

In the public and with other people I have no problem with avoiding them and don't ever feel the need to speak the way I do with friends. And I agree that people should know the time and place for swears... having a foul mouth all the time, even in public, seems rather 'low class' (for a lack of a better word... I can't describe it well).

I do know german, but I've stopped using german swears since moving to england. And yea, the first thing everyone asks me is "How do you say *this* or *that* in german?"... and they simply don't understand sometimes that there's no real equivalent. :P
Old 2010-02-01, 19:35   Link #139
Hayami
lonely soul

I wonder if anyone here (just like me) strongly dislikes the word that originates from performing fellatio and is used to put down something or someone? I don't see why it would be any more tolerated/acceptable than the more vulgar form of "screw up".

I hoped that at least one fansub group would prefer to avoid profanity in Sora no Woto at the beginning of the episode 2, but alas, from 6 groups that subbed it so far 5 used this expression and the remaining one used... another "s" expression >.<

Does everyone here think that to portray Kureha's personality in English the best way is to translate her line using this word? Can there be any other good translation of this line at all in this age of cussing... pardon, age of internet?
I wish there was a place where something less vulgar would be normal...
( Unfortunately I don't speak Japanese,
I hope in Japanese Kureha doesn't compare Kanata's musical performance with performing fellatio, or does she? >.< )

Please don't take it as bashing of the translators or editors. I respect their choice. I'm truly grateful that they spend their time/energy to share anime with other fans and do their best. I just wish I would wake up one day and this nightmare was over...
Old 2010-02-01, 22:40   Link #140
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Sometimes swear words do seem out of place in some animes. The most variance can usually be seen in how subbers decide to translate 'fuzakenaide yo'. It can range from 'quit playing around' to 'don't f*** with me!' You get to hear ichigo say it a lot in Bleach and it means something else everytime. But then I guess the tone of his voice decides the best english equivalent for it.