AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-02-27, 04:29   Link #61
Kasshin
Kasshin X Kasshin

Send a message via ICQ to Kasshin Send a message via AIM to Kasshin Send a message via MSN to Kasshin
It is more about how long from when you discover that there is a new release, to when you are finally able to watch it. You may come home hours after a new release, but instead of taking that 30 minutes to wait for your BT to finish downloading, you could spend 15 minutes with IRC. Unless you're one of the types that watch whatever's out first instead of one group, I don't think memorizing one channel's IRC location is that hard. You can even take it one step further, and memorize which of the bots are the best from that one channel.

I also watch stuff I download days or weeks after I download it, but I still go with IRC. It is much more convenient this way, because I can just let the download go while I can use my upload speed for more important stuff. So even with smaller channels, if I can download at 30 kb/s with IRC, that's good enough for me.
Kasshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-27, 04:49   Link #62
3D-Dude
Alucard rulez

Send a message via MSN to 3D-Dude
mIRC and BT
I can use them both
but i do prefer mIRC , you can just check get auto file and resume if file exists , so I don't get somebody said , he had to download the file all over again -_-´
but mIRC has some minus points ,
sometimes the download speed is UNDER 50kb/s
but now I have with BT - ( hunter x hunter ) that there is nobody who's seeding and nobody downloading so ... I'm seeding hikaru no go special myself , if I can't download i just seed ( wow already send 128 mb :P )
but if mIRC Bots are offline , you have to wait a few hours OR A FEW DAYS so that's the same as BT
but I like mIRC better I completely understand the program , and fserve sucks - go slow and virusses , i was trying to fserve once and I succeeded but i have a router so it pretty sucks to fserve
and I think i'm gonna look for naruto 72 anbu aone release cya
3D-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-27, 05:07   Link #63
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
Quote:
Originally Posted by spav
There's a place for both, but ultimately it again comes to the choice of the group. I had a good time in A-E's new channel last night, even talked about the episode I was downloading. And yeah 1 AM EST I was swearing and cursing cause I couldn't figure my client out (X-Chat), but we made up and it's all good now. Even got a little help from some nice folks in there. I think it was a good idea to release that way to promote the channel. Like a get to know your fansubber night.
Coming from the other side of that equation (being "your fansubber") it's nice when people come in and start chatting. Not because of the ever growing number in the channel window's titlebar (which I could really care less about), but because you get to meet and talk to a new person. Sometimes they're interesting people with interesting ideas. Other times they're boring people who just want to watch anime. But it's always great when I get chatting with someone. Just like someone was mentioning in a discussion about op/eds and karaoke and all that stuff that there's an element of "giving credit to the people who made it" there's also kind of a feeling of possibly getting to know the people who brought it to you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Not everyone does that, but yeah, some people sit around waiting for the new releases and download them as fast as possible. It seems some times that 90% of the Naruto forum is like that.
no kidding .... I have wandered into naruto forums here and on gotwoot, and (pardon my l33t) I ph34r them both. People do the same thing on slashdot, sitting there refreshing for new stories every couple minutes. Even scarier is my experience from back when I was running aone distro (those were good days that I'll always remember fondly). 10 minutes after a naruto release, my xdcc's would be at like 180/180 sends and pushing 6 megs/sec, and my bt seeds would be pushing another 4 megs/sec to god alone knows how many people... then the university told me that I couldn't claim 10 megs/sec of the campus link (especially from computers that I only had access to because of bad account maintenance policies), and ... well ... that was the end of that. But still ... it's like, people must be checking back every 15 minutes or something to see if there's a new release. It's crazy! Before bt came into use as a core distro tool (even earlier in my distro leadership tenure) I remember my xdcc bots getting raped 2 or 3 days after popular releases. We'd release other stuff two hours before naruto just because we knew otherwise we wouldn't be able to release it until a day and a half later.

*sigh*

sometimes I miss the old days ... bt has really made a lot of the whole distro thing a lot more cold and impersonal. And a lot more impatient. No more "oh, it's 3 days after the release, I guess I stand a chance of finding it now" ... it's all about more faster now now now immediate service. I guess that's where everything's headed now though, with video on demand and pvr's and more people leaning more heavily on microwaves and fast food. I wonder why we as a society have lost our ability to appreciate waits, and to learn to take breaks from our constant flashing audiovisual stimuli to catch up with nonflashing varieties of the same, like friends and family... or using compile times as an excuse to go out and get coffee or take a walk.

bleh, there I go sidetracking again. I think I'll stop before I hit some post length limit or just bore everyone :-p. (dang kids and your mtv and your skateboards and your long hair and your music)
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-27, 06:41   Link #64
Banisher
Wannabe Magical Girl

Actually, it is possible to run BT on a hacked computer. So if people would really want to use hacked computer as seeds, they can do it (altough setting up iroffer is far easier). And I won't reply to people asking me how

As for the fight XDCC vs BT... I prefer XDCC, but still uses torrent to get most of the releases. Why? Because I just have to check on animesuki for the latest torrents, one click, and the download starts. I can even serve the file on BT without being bothered by setting a fserve or a xdcc bot on my computer. However, my comp cannot handle too many torrents at the same time (maybe because I set max_upload to 50, but eh, I have extra bandwidth to waste). However, XDCC and BT are working well together, as you have lots of people who will use the torrent, and therefore help the xdcc to not be overloaded during release time.

If you want to use XDCC bots as seed, I would rather have them on older serie batch files. They are poorly or not seeded at all, when new releases usually get quickly lots of seeds.
Banisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-27, 06:53   Link #65
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banisher
If you want to use XDCC bots as seed, I would rather have them on older serie batch files. They are poorly or not seeded at all, when new releases usually get quickly lots of seeds.
The reason older series and older batch torrents dont get seeded is because of limited HD space, and limited resources on the CPU/RAM...

We at L-E run a btseeder that scans the .torrents and seeds the ones that need it most ( 0 seeds, etc ), but not everyone has that luxury.

And it'd be REALLY imporactical to load all these old releases onto hacked computers because you don't want to eat up too much HD space and be caught out :P This is the main reason why hacked XDCC bots are used for new releases primarily. That and the increased demand for them.

Also, since bt has the leechers helping upload, you can get away with a lot less bandwidth for releases than you could without it. As long as you have 1 person seeding the file will make its way around eventually (says the guy who released Wolf's Rain eps with 1 seed and 1100 leechers, haha ^^

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-27, 07:02   Link #66
Forse
r00t for life

Well I prefer IRC over BT, but yeah BT is easier. Also to hack some1's computer and use it as seed is easy...just as running iroffer on victim machine. Scan range of IP's -> check if they have shares visible to outside world->check for weak passwords->execute remote command->check register over web and install remote control app (netBus is good) and run console app (like BT) and send output to null

I think if person who can't notice that 100% of his CPU is used and his free space is getting smaller all the time...then I guess it's his fault.

Also hacked distro is bad...coz you never know when will it die and how much space there is (users fill their hdds pretty fast too). I prefer to have a distro group I can count on rather then 100 bots coming and going all the time. Also some users turn off computers for the night.
Forse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-27, 10:32   Link #67
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forse
<snip method>

I think if person who can't notice that 100% of his CPU is used and his free space is getting smaller all the time...then I guess it's his fault.

Also hacked distro is bad...coz you never know when will it die and how much space there is (users fill their hdds pretty fast too). I prefer to have a distro group I can count on rather then 100 bots coming and going all the time. Also some users turn off computers for the night.
You really think giving people hints on how to break into other people's computers is a nice idea? Furthermore, NOT EVERYONE is totally computer literate. Keep in mind there are a lot of users out there on the Internet who use their computer for productive things other than downloading and watching anime. They may only know enough about computers to get whatever they need to do finished. I mean, do you really expect the typical user who uses the computer for email and surfing the web to realize he/she's been hacked? Furthermore, what if they're also paying for your bandwidth, if they go over a certain limit?
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-27, 10:40   Link #68
cf18
Mecha Pilot

In general with new popular file I get better speed with BT than XDCC. It is usually a pointless execise to try to get into XDCC for a new file anyway since the queues are always full, e.g. the A-E releases that triggered this discussion.

But with old files XDCC is usually faster and sometime the only way to get the file. But it sure is annoying when you need to go through a lot of XDCC/fserve servers just to find one file.

The big advantage of BT (and ed2k) is the check-sum. Once it is done you know the file is good. With other methods - XDCC, fserve or FTP - you still need to do the check manually. BT's ability to repair broken files from other source is very handy.

Newsgroup is the most efficient way to distribute the file - you just upload once and let the big servers with big pipes handle the distribution, and with the right server you can be completely annonymous. It is getting expensive to use though with many ISP reducing or cutting off their NNTP server since the gigs of warez and pr0n posts just keep growing.
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-27, 10:44   Link #69
djIhcoro

Yes, newsgroups are fast, but not too many people know how to use them effectively or even have access to a decent provider.

I prefer XDCC over BT simply due to speed. If I can max out my downstream and get a file in about 20 minutes, why use BT and spend a few hours attempting to nab the file? Anyway, in A-E's case, their bots aren't hacked, the clients willing allowed for the IROffer to be placed on their systems. >.>
djIhcoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-27, 17:39   Link #70
Spyre
"Soon"

Don't worry about people here Koro.

The people complaining about no BT releases are people who are too lazy to learn how to use IRC, yet still have time to bitch about it? You don't want them in your channel anyway.

Remember, fansubbers don't "owe" leeches anything. I like to know who downloads my fansubs, and with BT I can't see that. Solution is to do IRC releases.... and who cares if peolpe complain. If they hate it so much, they can go download one of the other 50 new BT episodes available that day.

I'm thinking of doing my next release IRC only. It sucks when your BT has 4000+ downloads, and yet your IRC channel has 30 people. The same people who have been around for over a year. A nice IRC release will get some new blood in there and liven things up...
Spyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-27, 23:09   Link #71
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyre

The people complaining about no BT releases are people who are too lazy to learn how to use IRC, yet still have time to bitch about it? You don't want them in your channel anyway.

Remember, fansubbers don't "owe" leeches anything. I like to know who downloads my fansubs, and with BT I can't see that. Solution is to do IRC releases.... and who cares if peolpe complain. If they hate it so much, they can go download one of the other 50 new BT episodes available that day.

I'm thinking of doing my next release IRC only. It sucks when your BT has 4000+ downloads, and yet your IRC channel has 30 people. The same people who have been around for over a year. A nice IRC release will get some new blood in there and liven things up...
But then you would be an "elitist" :P Sounds like a plan you have.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-27, 23:58   Link #72
lavalyn

I don't know about your leecher side of things, but certainly from an upload view, BT is much nicer.

I am only behind a residential DSL @ 384kbps up. I have no access to fast bots myself, and if I did, I'd still have to upload the file to the bot. In that amount of time, and the same amount of bandwidth, the world could have the file. Thus, I use BT. Of course, all the leechers promptly complain that they are only getting 18kB/s.

The leechers don't see the time lag between encoding complete/predistro and announce, because the groups release later, when distro is all ready.
lavalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 00:37   Link #73
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Remember, fansubbers don't "owe" leeches anything.
It's nice to know that you're fansubbing in order to distribute unlicensed anime to its fans, and not for your own personal gain or ego boost.
Old 2004-02-28, 00:55   Link #74
Shenlong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
It's nice to know that you're fansubbing in order to distribute unlicensed anime to its fans, and not for your own personal gain or ego boost.
Christ on a flaming pogo stick, you sure do complain alot *rolleyes*
Shenlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 00:57   Link #75
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenlong
Christ on a flaming pogo stick, you sure do complain alot *rolleyes*
Thank you for your informative and enlightening rebuttal.
Old 2004-02-28, 01:28   Link #76
vio5555

Quote:

Yeah, I think you should do that; an additional not, the whole bt idea can be a turnoff to fansubbers if all they do is create a fansub and post the torrent, week after week... it kinda makes the job lame if its just you and your fellow group members sitting around a channel with no input from dlers.
vio5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 01:34   Link #77
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by vio5555
Yeah, I think you should do that; it's so boring to actually distribute your fansub. Rather, you should make people who want it jump through firey hoops and bark on command.
fixed your post for you.
Old 2004-02-28, 01:42   Link #78
Somedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by vio5555
Yeah, I think you should do that; an additional not, the whole bt idea can be a turnoff to fansubbers if all they do is create a fansub and post the torrent, week after week... it kinda makes the job lame if its just you and your fellow group members sitting around a channel with no input from dlers.
Heh "input" from the 'average' leecher:

"Is it done yet?"
"When is it going to be done?"
"You guys suck!!! (Is it done yet?)"
"You're slower than group X"
"Why aren't you done yet?"

Get the idea?

I still feel that the constructive criticism and the heartfelt thanks will still make it to your channel. Average leechers don't generally want anything more than their files, and in most cases could care less to critique your encoding, editing, etc.

I agree however that it can be a downer to sit around in IRC with very few people around aside from the staff, and get very little feedback, positive or otherwise on a release.(Particularly if you felt it was deserving of either criticism or praise.)
Somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 01:54   Link #79
Shii
*Fansubber

Here's how I imagine the IRC style of close and personal correspondence went down in the days of VHS fansubbing.

Quote:
101010 Binary Road
Boston
Massachusetts
28 February 1994

Dear fansubbers in the metro Boston region,

!list

Yours sincerely,
Avery Kasuga, Esquire.
Quote:
5 Harvard Court
Cambridge
Massachusetts
30 February 1994

Dear Mr. Kasuga,

We received your letter dated Feb. 28. We would advise you that we are currently operating an S.A.S.E. shop at Harvard University. This shop illegally procures its videotapes and VCRs from the Harvard video department, so please do not send us too many requests for fear of their noticing.

If you would like to request a video from us, please send a letter.

Cordially,
Anime Fanatics Tape-Serve
Quote:
101010 Binary Road
Boston
Massachusetts
10 March 1994

Dear Anime Fanatics Tape-Serve,

I would like to request a list of the videos you are currently offering.

Yours sincerely,
Avery Kasuga, Esq.
Quote:
5 Harvard Court
Cambridge
Massachusetts
15 March 1994

Dear Mr. Kasuga,

You are connected. Please write "ls" to list.

Cordially,
Quote:
101010 Binary Road
Boston
Massachusetts
21 March 1994

ls

Yours sincerely,
Avery Kasuga, Esq.
Quote:
5 Harvard Court
Cambridge
Massachusetts
25 March 1994

Dear Mr. Kasuga,

We are currently offering:
Ranma 1/2 episodes 20-50
Tenchi Muyo OAV episodes 1-5
Kodomo no Omocha episodes 1-20

Timeout is in 2 weeks.

Cordially,
Quote:
101010 Binary Road
Boston
Massachusetts
2 April 1994

I would like to request a tape of Ranma 1/2, episodes 20 through 24. Enclosed is a self-addressed stamped envelope.

Yours sincerely,
Avery Kasuga, Esq.
Quote:
5 Harvard Court
Cambridge
Massachusetts
10 April 1994

Dear Mr. Kasuga,

We regret to inform you that Pioneer announced it was licensing this series on the first of April. Enclosed is your SASE back.

Cordially,
Quote:
101010 Binary Road
Boston
Massachusetts
12 April 1994

Dear fansubbers in the metro Boston region,

Your tape-serves are really slow. I sincerely wish some sort of automatic system could be developed so that tapes could be transferred without all the extra paperwork.

I am your most humble and obedient servant, etc.,
Avery Kasuga, Esquire.
Quote:
10 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston
Massachusetts
20 April 1994

Dear Mr. Kasuga,

Such a system has been developed in California; it is called "peer-to-peer", and allows tapes to reach a much larger number of people through a mutually beneficient mail network. However, we discourage its use because it prevents friendly and personal communication on mailing lists such as this one. Besides, I am quite frankly bored of simply subtitling things without the additional entertainment I get from your continued presence on our mailing list.

Yours,
Vio5555 Jones
Distribution and Reproduction Coordinator
Anime Fanatics, Limited
"We spent $500 on SVHS production equipment so that we could be the first to show off our videos, even if it does mean that 'terrorists' is translated as 'mass naked child events'."

Last edited by Shii; 2004-02-28 at 02:12.
Shii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 02:10   Link #80
vio5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
fixed your post for you.
Only an idiot wouldnt be able to figure out how to use irc... There are so many guides out there and you can even use the irc sites to find out the trigger you use to dl something. Honestly how could you possibly make something easier, granted there will always be morons like you who simply want to dl everything without a care for the people who make it. Fansubbers are people and they don't earn money for what they do, so I dont think its too bad a sin for them to want a little well deserved praise now and then.
vio5555 is offline   Reply With Quote