AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-07-06, 18:47   Link #221
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
Have a Sony Ericsson Z530i since a few years now. The hinges broke once, but after getting that repaired it has only suffered minor bugs. Quite a sturdy little thing and does what I want; Phoning, SMS and notes.

When the time comes to get a new one, I wonder if I can get a hold of an actual phone and not a mini-mini netbook...
Well, if all you want from a phone is to be able to send and receive texts and phonecalls, a Nokia 1-series will do you just well. They're pretty cheap too, so much so that they seem disposable.
Old 2010-07-06, 18:59   Link #222
Kaelidoscopes
*Artist

I own a black Motorola Razor, it gets the job done.
Try to contain your excitement.
Old 2010-07-06, 22:10   Link #223
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaelidoscopes View Post
I own a black Motorola Razor, it gets the job done.
Try to contain your excitement.
The phone that both saved and nearly killed Motorola! Man I remember when everybody had one of those damn things, they were like the iPhone is now.

I just never understood the hoopla over the Razr personally. I mean, it was outrageously expensive and didn't even have a full keyboard... you could totally get a Blackberry or Palm Treo for the same price. But then again, it wasn't until Apple poked their nose into the market that smartphones gained mainstream acceptance...
Old 2010-07-06, 22:11   Link #224
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Blackberry Storm, love it and hate it at the same time, I should of waited to buy it instead of getting it when it was new ;p
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 22:12   Link #225
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjTrizz View Post
Blackberry Storm, love it and hate it at the same time, I should of waited to buy it instead of getting it when it was new ;p
The second iteration of the Storm is much better than the first one.

The clicky-touchscreen is really fucking weird for someone used to all other touchscreens.
Old 2010-07-06, 22:41   Link #226
Kaelidoscopes
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
The phone that both saved and nearly killed Motorola! Man I remember when everybody had one of those damn things, they were like the iPhone is now.

I just never understood the hoopla over the Razr personally. I mean, it was outrageously expensive and didn't even have a full keyboard... you could totally get a Blackberry or Palm Treo for the same price. But then again, it wasn't until Apple poked their nose into the market that smartphones gained mainstream acceptance...
I got caught in the hype :/
Then the sliders went into mainstream...
I'm getting a new phone shortly though. (The texting on the razor is weird)

Old 2010-07-06, 22:47   Link #227
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaelidoscopes View Post
I got caught in the hype :/
Then the sliders went into mainstream...
I'm getting a new phone shortly though. (The texting on the razor is weird)

I used a MotoRAZR V3xx before. Snazzy, stylish, just not......you know...the same as an S60 Smartphone.

It also seemed to lack UMTS 2100mhz (which is what the Optus network uses for it's 3G), as it was a former Telstra Next-G phone (Next-G is UMTS HSDPA running at 850mhz, offering superior coverage across the nation), so it didn't even have fast internet with me.
Old 2010-07-06, 22:56   Link #228
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Samsung SGH-U100 EDGE Tri Band. Slim as anything - all my friends and work colleagues wish theirs was as slim as mine. Easy to use the touchpad and message/calling. That's all I need it for.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 04:34   Link #229
Kitsune
九尾の狐
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze View Post
Don't those have like, a keyboard that folds out the side?
Could have sworn I saw a cellphone like that, where an entire extra screen and keyboard just folds out of nowhere, and it becomes a mini-laptop.

PS: Don't Japanese cellphones have a special chip implanted that they cannot be used in other countries? Friend of mine had one and when he got back from Japan, the cellphone was kinda worthless..
About your first question, seems it was already answered so I won't say anymore, about the chip... it's not really a chip, it just happens the sim cards they have in japan are pretty diferent from european and american cards, so on first hand japanese cell phones don't work with european/american cards, but, there are a special adaptors (called hypersim cards) that convert the signals from your card so it an be used with a japanese cell phone.

Those cards can be easily found on ebay and soe other places ^^
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 13:12   Link #230
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I need a cheap 3G phone that will display web pages like a PC does!

I kinda need this.

Due to limited budget I can't do what I want to (buy an iPhone 3GS and unlock it for T-Mobile) unless I want to suffer for three more months with this piece of shit I have.

So yeah, I need a smartphone... that is cheap (without a contract, nobody will give me one because my credit is awful)... that can display web pages like a PC does (except for Flash, obviously).

Some people I know keep pointing me toward MetroPCS but they suck, they can't even transfer my phone number (T-Mobile can) and they aren't really any cheaper than T-Mobile (and don't have 3G data). I don't want a dumbphone or a strict messaging phone.

I want something I can really use the Internet on and tether to my laptop to use as a 3G modem. I don't really care about OS and apps; I'm already buying an iPod touch, I'll worry about games and shit on that. (Unless someone knows where I can get a 16GB+ iPhone cheap, and by cheap I mean not $400).
Old 2010-07-10, 18:09   Link #231
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I kinda need this.

Due to limited budget I can't do what I want to (buy an iPhone 3GS and unlock it for T-Mobile) unless I want to suffer for three more months with this piece of shit I have.

So yeah, I need a smartphone... that is cheap (without a contract, nobody will give me one because my credit is awful)... that can display web pages like a PC does (except for Flash, obviously).

Some people I know keep pointing me toward MetroPCS but they suck, they can't even transfer my phone number (T-Mobile can) and they aren't really any cheaper than T-Mobile (and don't have 3G data). I don't want a dumbphone or a strict messaging phone.

I want something I can really use the Internet on and tether to my laptop to use as a 3G modem. I don't really care about OS and apps; I'm already buying an iPod touch, I'll worry about games and shit on that. (Unless someone knows where I can get a 16GB+ iPhone cheap, and by cheap I mean not $400).
Not long ago, Nokia announced the Nokia C5, set to be released very soon (although News reports say it is available in India for a mere 7999 rupees (approx 170 USD)). You may have to sweat it out a bit longer, but I hear that the phone is targeted towards social networking. The C5 is S60 3rd edition FP2, so yes it's a smart phone (and given what my N73 can do, I think it will more than happily serve your needs for 3G tethering and a bit more than phonecalls). Given it's low price for a smartphone (definitely lower than I was expecting), this may be a realistic choice for you, stay tuned for more updates.

As for displaying webpages....well, if they refined S60 browser maybe, or you can try installing Opera Mobile 10 (and pray to god it doesn't crash like it does on my old N80).

EDIT: I checked the eBay listings, and they start from about 170 USD. I reckon you'll find a good deal, but ask around.

This link is for in case you think I'm dreaming this up
Old 2010-07-10, 22:11   Link #232
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

It's a moot point; T-Mobile won't even work with me, even with their no-contract plans--even if I buy a phone outright or bring an unlocked GSM phone. They want a deposit.

I'm doomed to use Ghettro. As if I already don't feel poor enough to begin with.

Guess I'll just suffer with a Ghetto Blackberry--I mean a Samsung Freeform.

I need to win the lottery.
Old 2010-07-10, 23:25   Link #233
theoryxthirteen
That one guy.

Send a message via Yahoo to theoryxthirteen
I'm running with an HTC Droid Eris myself. It's a good phone but it gets a bit crash happy with the home replacement and other apps I've got running. Sue me. I like customizing things.
theoryxthirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 23:30   Link #234
Envy
Band Nerd ♥
*Graphic Designer

LG Xenon.

It's an okay phone, considering the bad things I've heard about LG phones. The funny thing is I actually wish it would break. We technically got it for free with a rebate, and I really prefer my old Black Jack II. I never had to delete a single text message on that phone ever. And the screen was the perfect resolution for pictures I've taken to be used as backgrounds.

On the Xenon, I have to delete messages nearly every day, and really I'm not that popular. The phone just holds close to nothing. I had the Black Jack II for nearly a year. It wasn't any where close to running out of space for messages. So yeah, I'm taking it back the first chance I get.

“The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.”
Envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-20, 22:13   Link #235
Suomi
Kaiba

Purple LG Rumour Touch. The original Rumour is what I had last, it was all right (I loved it at the time) but the LCD screen broke...so i got this one which is awesome. It's got a touch screen but also a slide out keyboard for texting. And which is much better than the Rumour original's keyboard. I LOVE it
Old 2010-07-20, 22:19   Link #236
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Send a message via AIM to Sin of Memories Send a message via MSN to Sin of Memories Send a message via Yahoo to Sin of Memories
I own a hologram phone. Think Xenosaga.
Old 2010-07-20, 23:28   Link #237
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin of Memories View Post
I own a hologram phone. Think Xenosaga.
Holodisc or it didn't happen.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 04:55   Link #238
LovelyRose

Samsung F480i (They only had pink.. -_-)
LovelyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 08:18   Link #239
Lio
Presence

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyRose View Post
Samsung F480i (They only had pink.. -_-)
Hey, that's pretty. I'm a guy and I'd totally buy it.

So a month after picking up a Reclaim at $100 on prepaid Samsung decided to release this:

A touchscreen AND a slide-out QWERTY keyboard, for just $130 on pre-paid. ARRRGH

Shame it's currently Canada-only, it looks just like what synaesthetic's looking for...

Last edited by Lio; 2010-07-21 at 08:41.
Lio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 12:08   Link #240
Suomi
Kaiba

LG Rumour Touch has that.