AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

View Poll Results: Death Note - Episode 37 Rating
Perfect 10 208 44.26%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 79 16.81%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 55 11.70%
7 out of 10 : Good 37 7.87%
6 out of 10 : Average 22 4.68%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 1.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 10 2.13%
3 out of 10 : Bad 9 1.91%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 4 0.85%
1 out of 10 : Painful 39 8.30%
Voters: 470. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-29, 22:52   Link #221
Zek
Eyebrows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeabundo View Post
This finale compelled me to write a whole new blog entry.

At least this time, Light doesn't just give swimming lessons. He shows everyone how to run, too.
Now that's the music they should have used for the finale.
Old 2007-06-30, 00:30   Link #222
zalem

I disagree with Light being average. If he was merely average L would have caught him. L was certainly not average. Light was brilliant, but also overconfident and very arrogant and that got the best of him in the end. Unless you mean that the fact was struck home that Light is indeed a human and not a god. Then yes, that I agree with.
Old 2007-06-30, 02:38   Link #223
ferthepoet

the problem with Kiras plan

The problem with Lights plan is that you don't make a better world by going after regular murderers and thief... you go after World Leaders, Corrupt politicians, Organize Crime heads, Drug Lords.... those are the people that cause the real bad in the world and who the police can't touch......
Old 2007-06-30, 06:44   Link #224
SilverHeimdall

Light became a murderer instead of 'justice' when he killed the FBI Agents.
Old 2007-06-30, 06:58   Link #225
Kamel

Um isn't this a debate that belongs to "Morality in Death Note" thread , lately it seems as if a final episode thread turned in to double of that thread.
Old 2007-06-30, 07:27   Link #226
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
I disagree with Light being average. If he was merely average L would have caught him. L was certainly not average. Light was brilliant, but also overconfident and very arrogant and that got the best of him in the end.
You could say that it was L that defeated him in the end. Light like you said became overconfident after defeating L, which lead him to believe Near & Mello were no match for him --- though like Near said, together they're L.
Old 2007-06-30, 09:41   Link #227
aurora51x

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaydie View Post
i got alot of bitchin to do, so either cover your ears (eyes) or just roll with it

first of all

The Ending - Hated it. yeah yeah, light was gonna die sooner or later, it was tragic, it was emotional, blah blah blah... TYPICAL. Death note has always been about intelligence, suspense and unpredictability. This episode lacked all of it. The last few episodes had me all worked up, anticipating a great final climax, and what do i get? sucker-punched in the face.

Light - yeah he's evil. understatement. but seriously, lets not get into morals and ethics here, cuz lets not forget hes just an animated character. Of course what he was doing was wrong, but thats what made the show so badass. I honestly enjoyed indulging in the brilliance of his evil throughout the series, but its not like i would really support him. it was just dissappointing to see him go out in such a pathetic manner. I mean com on, hes smarter than that. Im not a light fan. Im not a anybody fan. I just like good anime and this last episode was a real let down.

Near - pulls too much shit out of his ass. L at least bases his theories on evidence and research. Near merely goes on a hunch, and is right every fuckin time! Doesnt it just seem a bit too unrealistic? eg. out of the blue suspected mikami of being second kira, with no prior connection or background. (and theres alot more too). Pisses me off!

Mello - so he kidnaps takada. gets himself killed. and manages to get mikami to use the real death note. HOW DA HELL did he know it was a fake in the first place? HOW DA HELL did he even know about mikami??

Mikami - well we all know why hes a moron. however, i actually enjoyed his final moments. what was going through his mind? did he feel betrayed for idolizing in a false god? or did he actually feel guilty for screwing everything up for kira? who knows...

Just wanted to get this off my chest. Overall, its been the best series. Whats done is done, cant be changed now. No point in indulging in alternate endings and fantasies.
I agree with you completely, and I'm especially pissed off about the bit of Near knowing everything right away just by guessing.
Old 2007-06-30, 10:00   Link #228
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
You could say that it was L that defeated him in the end. Light like you said became overconfident after defeating L, which lead him to believe Near & Mello were no match for him --- though like Near said, together they're L.
though if mikami didnt make that move even thought they are L they are all still dead
Old 2007-06-30, 13:24   Link #229
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist2123 View Post
though if mikami didnt make that move even thought they are L they are all still dead
Still, its overconfident Light who didn't come up with a back-up plan.
Old 2007-06-30, 14:01   Link #230
atilim
Knightmare

He wouldn't have needed a back up if he would have stayed calm, he could't still have won.
Old 2007-06-30, 16:14   Link #231
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

"All humans will, without exception. eventually die..."

That is what DN has taught us...The specter of death can tun anyone, even the most powerful of people into a shell of their more grandiose selves...This ending was as amazing as it was non-descript...No ultimate twist, no Misa coming to aid some how, No Ryuk sacrificing himself for his greatest master...Just nothingness...This episode taught us such a great lesson, that in the end we ain't $hit but human...Easily corruptible and absolute power always corrupts absolutley...A bit fitting that Light lost not even of his own masterful degree of talent, but by factors out of his immediate control (Mikami loving his Kami so much that he totally exposed him) as is the nature of something like this...If you think about Light's incredible arrogance form episode 36 (as one person put it not even bringing a weapon with him as an ultimate back-up plan) we were actually shown his ultimate brilliance...Near gets credit as the victor gets the spoils, but I still see Yagami on another level...

I think alot of this show needs to be enjoyed on an academic level aswell as an emotional one...The reason why I couldn't really cross that bridge to truly hating Light (Other than how the story presents him) was that in an academic way his motives as a person were excellent in various ways...He took on every challenge, every mistake he made was followed up with meticulous and tedious execution to again balance the playing field...Every corner with a built-in escape route...To take on the challenge of ruling the world, being GOD, for as long as he did, keeping in mind how close his detractors were, was simply a thing of beauty to watch...I don't think there has ever been a character presented quite like him...Never as the protagonist...

Getting back to the final, in that moment between life and death Light realized he wasn't a GOD in any sense...The atmosphere was too much to take seeing what he used to be, what he could have been...,But at the end of the day he was no more than fodder for the DeathNote as everyone was...Tears came swelling from my eyes for some reason as Ryuk stood atop that pole being the reaper of death he truly was...Feeling for his DN buddy in that subtle way meant everything to me, however not even the freshest of apples could've stop Light's final fate...I can only ponder how many names of DN users Ryuk actually has in that book of his and if that was the most bittersweet scribble he has ever had....

In the end DEATHNOTE reminded me of some long-a$$ episode of Tales form the Crypt^^ ...it will be missed and it will not be forgotten...A show excellent in expressionism...One of the most expressive pieces of art I've ever seen...With a plot so simplistically complex filled with nuance and with intensity so thick at times, it's hard to breath...The level of animation at times was so masterful making a scene of eating potato chips an illustrative gem...I thank the talented individuals behind the concept of this work...I thank Yagami Light for showing me the soul of corruption in a way never seen before...All I can say now is:

"Kami!! Thank You for the journey..." (When I say that, you're suppose to imagine that DN church-bell sound chiming in the background^^)

What a great series...
Old 2007-06-30, 16:41   Link #232
Psychotic_Virtue

An Okay Episode I Guess, The Beginning And The Middle Were Great But Light Losing His Composure Just Didnt Make Sense Imo. The Ending Really Could Have Been Alot Better, Me Thinks They Just Wanted To Get The Series Over With By Making Some Lazy Attempt...

P.V.
Old 2007-06-30, 16:55   Link #233
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^I've read that comment alot an all I can say to it is that he lost...He had no more aces, death or confinement was his only option...How can you say it's OOC? How would you react? You don't know until something like that happens... Light had never been in a situation like that before where he totally lost and was ultimatley humiliated...IMO It was shown to bring home the point he was never God to begin with (Which is a great contrast to everything this show hypes him to be)..He lost his composure because he had nothing left...In the end he was just another pitiful human not wanting to die...It was a very real, desperate reaction to me...
Old 2007-06-30, 21:14   Link #234
Espp

After reading through every post up until now, I couldn't restrain myself from not commenting on this series.

First off, I think the pro-Light audience is a lot bigger than the contrary. Though the posts until now clearly show that not a lot of people agree with Light, it is more or less them not wanting to get flamed for an.. well.. against the what-opinion-I-should-have. I'm rather disappointed that those people do not speak up which makes this threat kinda biased.

-Power corrupts the human soul-

Hmm, personally I don't think "corruption" is right word for this series. I would compare it with how environment influences people's way of thinking. No one here can honestly say that they have never contradicted one of their beliefs, because everyone did someone that made them think "I have become what I used to hate/oppose, however.. that's only because...".
With that said, Light is neither insane nor a madman and before labeling me as a Light-lover, read on.
Most are saying that Light is simply crazy, his "justice" is and was wrong from the very beginning - this is false. Recall when Light relinquished ownership of the Death Note the first time, he immediately agreed to join L in the investigation. He was also honest enough to spit out L's exact thoughts every time he was testing him, i.e. when L asked him if he would succeed him if he dies. He even thinks about how very similar Kira and his own views are when he lost his memories but immediately discards the thought of him becoming/being him. But the absolute argument is that Light himself says - after regaining his memories in the helicopter - "I knew I would join L and fight Kira, that's just the type of person I am".
I think the moral and message of the story was delivered in those thoughts of his when he regained his memories.
Personally, I interpret it as him telling the world...

"If there was anyone who had to power to judge over the lives of people in accordance to their own view of justice, it would be a crime and I would not support it and fight it,... unless that individual is myself."

I don't think anyone can disagree with the general idea of that phrase because he shows that, if he had no memory of him being Kira and him currently not being Kira, he would go against it. However, the very first time he got the Death Note, the very first idea he gets about what he could use it for is reform the world. Also, as soon as he regained his memories and despite he experience he gathered and opinions he developed with L, he was back to his old self, without doubt. In clear-text, even after seeing how wrong Kira's power can be, if it is in his hands he believes that he can do it right.

-Would the world Light could've created really bad-

Going with the assumption that Light finished off all his opponents and had absolutely no one who opposes him. Now, you are born into such a world and your history teacher tells you "The world wasn't always like this; before Kira, there was war, organized crime, etc...", would you see Kira, and therefore Light, as a hero or savior? "Ends have to justify the means", however the means are ephemeral whereas the ends are lasting.

Lastly, the ending.

The story and its twists and its characters are simply genius; the flow was smooth and everything delivered was realistic. But since this is a fictional piece of entertainment, it has to end somewhere and somehow and therefore ending it with Light being victorious would have made no sense except fanservicing. Whether the author himself wanted it to end it the way it did if he was a spectator rather than the author is far from definite as well. The last episode, as well as the last few chapters in the manga were completely unrealistic BUT necessary for a fictional story of this caliber. As already mentioned numerous times, Light's ability of deduction and naiveness of resting his entire plan on Mikami without backup is totally out of character. His begging only served to ease the fact that the hero of the story lost and destroy his image/popularity; instead of having people thinking "Oh no, he lost.", thinking "Oh no, he lost... wtf now he's begging pathetically, I don't care for him anymore".
Basically what I'm saying is, if you want to interpret his actions and morals, do not use the content of the last episode as an argument. The only thing that it does convey is that Light is no God, bullets have the same affect on him as anyone else showing that he is a human and nothing else.

Last edited by Espp; 2007-06-30 at 21:44.
Old 2007-07-01, 12:47   Link #235
Wosho128
I like tinkering on stuff

I am a pro Kira spectator. Do I agree with his ideologies? No. But his counter strategies were usually awesome. The last plan he made to defeat Near was smart but it wasn't the same caliber as his other plans. With L gone, Light became cocky and vested all of his time into a linear strategy.

As much as I like Mikami; giving the Death Note to him was a mistake. But there was no way Light could have suspected that at the beginning. He successfully manipulated the police force, Misa and Takada; he thought Mikami would be a useful drone as well. While that was temporarily the case; Mikami became a fanatical idiot at the end. He left the Death Note unattended while going to different facilities. While the dummy Death Note plan was somewhat detected by Light; Mikami was stupid enough to leave the book unattended.

In the beginning, Light always knew where the Death Note was and who it was going to be used by. Heck, Light even manufactured an indesk insulator for anyone who had the audacity to open the drawer with the Death Note in it. Mikami made no such precautions when he stuffed the Death Note in his bank lodgings. -_- Thus, he couldn't tell if somebody (Giovanni in this case) had modified it. Mikami's lack of consciousness is to blame. @_@

RAWR! Light would have won if he had not been so dependent on the fanboy. >_>
Anyway, this was a good episode. They made Mikami look hideous in these last two episodes. The pretty boy falling from grace was just nasty to look at.

Light's responses to pain were hilarious!

"MATSUDA!!!! YOU ASSHOLE!"

While most users loved the maniacal laugh, I loved Light's responses to the gunshots. They were hilarious.
Old 2007-07-01, 13:16   Link #236
Zerokule

This entire series manga and anime both made me uncomfortable. In the beginning it was cool to see really smart guys outwit each other. Then you watch as Light continues to ruin lives to keep himself from being caught. It made me sick to see his so called justice, it was an illusion of peace. I knew he would die in the end, good always trumps evil. Glad to see Light go out like a little kid that doesn't want to fess up and be a man. Near was somewhat stupid, along with Mello. Overall I liked the series when L was there, but a good series nontheless.
Old 2007-07-01, 13:57   Link #237
kazune-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyugaHinata View Post
Except for the FBI agents, L, Rem, etc. And don't forget that he drove his father to his death while he hid away in safety.
Oh yeah.. thats true. Im still on his side no matter what.

"Light your end is Near."
Old 2007-07-01, 20:36   Link #238
Zek
Eyebrows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist2123 View Post
Well, if not for Mikami he wouldn't have gotten as far as he did. Light has been bailed out by his buddies, shinigami and human alike, countless times. It's not like he outwitted L all by himself.
Old 2007-07-01, 22:15   Link #239
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zek View Post
Well, if not for Mikami he wouldn't have gotten as far as he did. Light has been bailed out by his buddies, shinigami and human alike, countless times. It's not like he outwitted L all by himself.
he outwitted L cuz he was making the 'Pawns' move

he was the one planning things
Old 2007-07-02, 00:55   Link #240
noir senshi
Escapist Extraordinaire

This is the first time that I have ever cried for an anime character.

Light was beautiful, Death Note was beautiful; I hope that one day, I will find an anime series that is comparable to this masterpiece.
Closed Thread