AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2009-02-02, 20:24   Link #1001
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Hmm... personally I am quite satisfied with the storytelling style. I've always liked movies and art forms that challenge you a little to keep up, coupled with the fact that I've always been a fan of fragmented story telling made me fall in love with whoever the director and storyboarder for this movie was.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 21:04   Link #1002
JPZ
Ninjin loves you, yeah!

most definitely going to need to watch this afew times to wrap my mind around it.
JPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 21:15   Link #1003
Hedd
Random Object

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPZ View Post
most definitely going to need to watch this afew times to wrap my mind around it.
It gave me a strong feeling of similarity to Ghost in the Shell: Innocence
Old 2009-02-02, 21:18   Link #1004
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

not much left to be said but i want ot comment that Shiki asking for Mikaya's apt key was so sweet and moe.

now i really to see what would happen if Azaka find Shiki sleeping in Mikaya's bed one day.
Old 2009-02-02, 21:29   Link #1005
SageGaiGar
You are Next

This has been one hell of a week with all the awesomeness. The movie was confusing but fitting, I did in the end kind of get most of it. Did enjoy the use of multiple viewpoints, and the end was quite, I daresay, cute.

I would chuckle if the sister gets a surprise.
SageGaiGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 22:03   Link #1006
Avisch
Reality Blender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Hmm... personally I am quite satisfied with the storytelling style. I've always liked movies and art forms that challenge you a little to keep up, coupled with the fact that I've always been a fan of fragmented story telling made me fall in love with whoever the director and storyboarder for this movie was.
Don't misunderstand. I LOVED Baccano! which was all fragmented. And the scenes in the 5th movie worked fine I just didn't prefer it them.

And the storyboards were quite impressive I agree, they reflected the mind-bending nature of the story.

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 22:25   Link #1007
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedd View Post
It gave me a strong feeling of similarity to Ghost in the Shell: Innocence
No way. Innocence wasn't this complex.

I felt sorry for the people who watched this in the theaters. I wonder how many were repeat goers so that they could understand what happened.
Old 2009-02-03, 00:22   Link #1008
saravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
No way. Innocence wasn't this complex.

I felt sorry for the people who watched this in the theaters. I wonder how many were repeat goers so that they could understand what happened.
Nah, watch it once in theaters for cinematic enjoyment and then again on DVD for clarity.

I understood what was going on for the most part, some things I'm a little uncertain about, but I'm used to that, with anime, so I don't really let it bother me.

Spoiler for The only thing though::
saravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 00:29   Link #1009
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I personally don't, because it forces me to miss some of the things that goes on at the moment because I'm trying hard to think back. Sort of makes me lose interest if I'm not into the story in the first place.

And I got that feeling a bit watching this one. But I think the fact that I already read the book, even if it was a long time ago so that I forgot most of the details, really helped me keep up with the story.
meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 00:30   Link #1010
Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravis View Post
Nah, watch it once in theaters for cinematic enjoyment and then again on DVD for clarity.

I understood what was going on for the most part, some things I'm a little uncertain about, but I'm used to that, with anime, so I don't really let it bother me.

Spoiler for The only thing though::
Spoiler for Notice the repetition:
Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 01:17   Link #1011
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
not much left to be said but i want ot comment that Shiki asking for Mikaya's apt key was so sweet and moe.
That's like one out of the very few times we see Shiki act like a typical girl xD.

I'm re-watching all the movies right now, just so I can understand the plot more, and I must say, you miss a lot the first time around if you haven't read the novel...

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 04:21   Link #1012
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
On animation and art quality ... I agree that from the fifth movie you can not make a wallpaper out of every screen-capture, but every other one i.e. it was worse than the other four, but still it was far above average! Hell, should I remind everyone that it was almost two hours! Normally this would take years to produce, even for large studios.

On storytelling, I said I liked that it was presented out of order, but after watching the movie with a friend who has not read the novel, he was very confused; so let me revise my opinion in that if you are aware of nasu-verse or of the plot, the storytelling enhances your experience. But on the other hand, you'll have to watch the movie again to grasp the plot, though still it has the merit of focusing on the emotional impact instead of dry storytelling
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 05:17   Link #1013
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

What gets me about the story is that although it typically is very dark and seems complicated at first, it's really not.

Some of the stories can be summed up as "Shiki gets an admirer", "Shiki meets another powerful girl", and in this one, "Shiki lets a boy crash into her pad"

But wow. Tomoe has to be the biggest bundle of emo I've seen in anime for a while. reminds me of Zeta Gundam. But good job for the animators, since he actually seemed to redeem himself at the very end.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 06:48   Link #1014
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
The movie isn't that confusing. Everything is explained as you progress towards the climax. I understood everything (apart from a few novel parts that were not included).
Old 2009-02-03, 07:02   Link #1015
Fweakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
The movie isn't that confusing. Everything is explained as you progress towards the climax. I understood everything (apart from a few novel parts that were not included).
I agree. Its just not a movie that you can afford to not pay 100 percent attention to, cause if you miss something, then you're buggered.

Edit: Ack, double negatives. Oh well, I can't think of a way to re-phrase with better clarity, so it'll have to do.
Fweakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 07:05   Link #1016
metamorphic
ことわり
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yes, it's just some of the deep Nasuverse that some people don't immediately understand in the adaptation - the novel's always the best source to delve more into that. Other Type-Moon works that have been animated didn't really come close to explaining the Nasuverse at all, but KnK has done it fantastically well so far.
metamorphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 08:37   Link #1017
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fweakin View Post
I agree. Its just not a movie that you can afford to not pay 100 percent attention to, cause if you miss something, then you're buggered.

Edit: Ack, double negatives. Oh well, I can't think of a way to re-phrase with better clarity, so it'll have to do.
This is not a movie that you leave your brain home. You have to take it to this movie. It makes you pay attention to it and think.

With Innocence, even if you didn't get the quotes, you could still follow the movie. With this movie, you had to follow the scenes especially with the switchovers to make some sense out of it.
Old 2009-02-03, 09:09   Link #1018
Chrono Helix

I don't think I'll ever get bored of listening to that song that plays whenever they fight.
Chrono Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 09:13   Link #1019
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
That's reminds me. Are any of the instrumental music in the various OSTs have song titles or anything?
Old 2009-02-03, 09:22   Link #1020
astranagun

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
That's reminds me. Are any of the instrumental music in the various OSTs have song titles or anything?
Sadly it seems they are all called M-insert number(s)
astranagun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, harem, type moon