AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-28, 14:24   Link #1
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
recommend me some yuri :D

I just recently got around to watching Candy Boy (and have been reading Girl Friends for some time) so I'm wanting some yuri suggestions.

I already know about Aoi Hana (so don't recommend it), I've been trying to watch it but since it's up on Crunchyroll it's somewhat hard to get ahold of... (and my computer is too crappy to properly display CR's bloated website).

I would like, though, if said yuri had uh... a little more yuri in it. Candy Boy was terribly moemoe and I enjoyed it but... didn't even get to see a real kiss. =|
Old 2009-12-28, 15:30   Link #2
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I don't suppose you've ever seen Simoun? I thought it was great.

I'm always surprised that there's not more complaining about how bloated CR's website is.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2009-12-28, 15:41   Link #3
SnowSong

I second Simoun. It is not just Yuri though. It is a great drama/world building/political/spiritual/love show. But containing it within a genre would do it injustice. Suffice to say, some find it a spiritual/religious experience.
Old 2009-12-28, 15:44   Link #4
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I don't suppose you've ever seen Simoun? I thought it was great.

I'm always surprised that there's not more complaining about how bloated CR's website is.
Never seen Simoun, the premise just sounded silly, but maybe I'll give it another look.

Regarding CR, well, I imagine most people don't have an old eeePC 900 as their only computer, so not having to deal with GMA950 graphics or a 900MHz Celeron processor is probably beneficial in not noticing how fat their website is...
Old 2009-12-28, 16:10   Link #5
Zippicus

Strawberry Panic is probably the anime with the strongest yuri content (without including adult titles). It's got a lot of fanservice and it's fairly cheesy but it's worth taking a look at if you're a yuri fan.

I'll go ahead and toss another vote for Simoun in, it's one of my favorites. It's got a pretty high level of yuri content. It's got a bit of fanservice as well but it's all pretty tasteful.

No yuri suggestion list is complete without the obligatory Marimite (and sequels) suggestion.

You could also take a look at the currently running Sasameki Koto but I suspect you'll have the same problems as you do with Aoi Hana since it's also running on CR.
Old 2009-12-28, 16:13   Link #6
Kunagisa

Saki~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 2009-12-28, 17:00   Link #7
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I've seen Marimite. It's a great cure for insomnia. -.-'

I should mention that I have no interest in the Romantic Two-Girl Friendship trope. I don't want Bait and Switch Lesbians. I wanna see girls kissin', dammit.

I'm growing lonely in my eternal, broke job search, financially unable to go out and find girls to kiss myself, so I'd at least like to live vicariously through animated characters. ^^;

I'm pretty hard to please when it comes to this sort of thing. Most Writers Are Male and all, it's hard to find good yuri. =/
Old 2009-12-28, 17:08   Link #8
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

There is little to zero good yuri series, unfortunately. Especially with girls kissing each other. Try reading yuri manga for that. Lililicious has a lot of it.
Old 2009-12-28, 17:11   Link #9
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I am deeply saddened. -.-' It's hard to read manga on an 8.9" screen. =| Must... get... new... laptop!

Thanks for the link, though.
Old 2009-12-28, 18:29   Link #10
Cryonosis
~Desu

Simoun is good and I also recommend watching it.
Revolutionary Girl Utena is another great series

After that things kinda drop off, but here's some other suggestions:

Strawberry Panic - soap opera-ish, decent enough though; has real relationships though (kissing and more).
Blue Drop - Pretty good, not a lot of relationship development though.
Yami to Bōshi to Hon no Tabibito - Great up until the end, has a terrible ending, I mean it is just flat out a bad ending.
Kannazuki no Miko - fun enough and watchable.
Saki - I enjoyed it, has good ratings but it's only Yuri-ish.

So there's my new and seconded suggestions and I agree that there's not enough real yuri out there. I think only Simoun and Strawberry panic will really fit the bill for seeing two girls going at it, moreso with Strawberry panic. The rest are like most Yuri's in that it's heavily implied but you don't get to watch.
Old 2009-12-28, 23:22   Link #11
SnowSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I wanna see girls kissin', dammit.
I believe you are thinking of Strawberry Panic and Simoun. Kanameno also has a lesbian couple that is not shy to display their affection in public.
Old 2009-12-30, 08:41   Link #12
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post

No yuri suggestion list is complete without the obligatory Marimite (and sequels) suggestion.
We should seriously stop giving that as a suggestion as it gives a really bad expectations to other people who expects lesbian relationships.

Kannazuki no Miko....well despite the out-of-place giant robots, it's a pretty solid series with enough yuri drama to be incredibly satisfying.
Old 2009-12-30, 16:23   Link #13
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I am not terribly averse to random humongous mecha.

Thanks for the suggestions; it does seem like yuri falls into one of two categories, either blatant fanservice for the dudes, or Marimite-esque not-quite-yuri...

Sigh. I'm too picky.
Old 2009-12-30, 17:05   Link #14
Cryonosis
~Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Sigh. I'm too picky.
I don't think so, you're looking for the same thing that a lot of us Yuri fans are looking for. The anime industry just doesn't seem to have the confidence yet but every year they get a bit bolder and this year was one of the best with Candy Boy and Aoi Hana, hopefully the trend continues and we'll get to see a few more good Yuri shows out there.
Old 2009-12-30, 18:19   Link #15
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Basically what I'd like to see is something like Candy Boy; "after the fact" (but with more actual yuri and less not-quite-yuri), I know it sounds boring, but relationship-angst and Cannot Spit it Out frustrates me.

I like the relationship issue being resolved quickly and the actual plot being about something else and not love-drama. Though it wasn't yuri, Bakemonogatari resolved the relationship issue between the two main characters in such an incredibly awesome way I've got to give the creators mad props for that. And once that was resolved, it went on to having a plot that was not directly related to relationship issues.

Not even having much of a plot at all is just fine too, after all, I did like K-On which is basically just "cute girls being cute" and I have no problem with watching similar.

Tags
yuri