AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 05
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 35 22.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 41 26.80%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 29 18.95%
7 out of 10 : Good... 30 19.61%
6 out of 10 : Average... 8 5.23%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 2 1.31%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 4 2.61%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 1 0.65%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 2 1.31%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 1 0.65%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-08-04, 13:37   Link #21
Marina2

Which Volume/Chapter does this ep. based on?
Old 2012-08-04, 13:39   Link #22
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Which Volume/Chapter does this ep. based on?
Might be better off asking that in the Q & A thread, but I'll answer your question anyway: A Murder Case in the Area (Side story) - Volume 8.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 14:26   Link #23
leokiko

Finally some room to breathe. Pace was too insane. Great episode, never read this side-story.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 14:44   Link #24
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
Maybe I shouldn't have read the entire SAO LN. Now everything is spoiled
FLCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 14:48   Link #25
elior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaray View Post
They kinda changed one scene from novels, and I think they skipped something else too, but thank god it wasn't crammed in one freaking episode.
they might will show the scences they skipped in the next episode
elior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 14:55   Link #26
HandofFate

Asuna looks pretty, but her character design also looks rather bland for some reason.

lol @ the end. Woman are always dying around Kirito. The girl was suspicious as hell, if she hadn't been killed at the end, I would have imagined her being the actual killer.
Old 2012-08-04, 15:01   Link #27
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

So....this is Asuna's first time ever playing an MMO, and she goes on to become the second-in-command of one of the strongest front-line guilds? Call me skeptical, but that sounds VERY unlikely in most cases. Then again several years have passed in these episodes, so if her position was only recently granted it's a bit more believable.

That aside, the mystery presented this episode is rather intriguing. How could someone kill another player in a safe zone without utilizing the "Dual Winner" status? The only reason I can think of is hacking, but I doubt it's that simple.

I had suspicions that Yoruko was the one behind the killing because it's a regular occurrence for one of the characters you least suspect to in actuality be the guilty party, but unless her death at the end was a fake-out, it doesn't look like that's the case now.

I still don't think it's this Grimrock fellow though. Even if he made the weapons the killer is using, it doesn't necessarily mean he's the one doing this either. Sure it could be someone from this Golden Apple guild, but if so, it's probably a member we don't know about yet. Heck, it could just be someone completely unrelated too.

I guess what I've come to learn with mysteries is to always expect the unexpected.
Old 2012-08-04, 15:08   Link #28
Deathrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCL View Post
Maybe I shouldn't have read the entire SAO LN. Now everything is spoiled
If I didn't read it I would be dying to know what would be happening. That's just me tho .
Deathrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 15:16   Link #29
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Well, this was the first episode where I wasn't particularly pleased. I'm not all that enamored with white knight type characters, but I put up with it because of how well this show was capturing old-school MMOs.

However, Kirito really went into eyeball rolling territory with his empathy for NPCs. Oh, I get it. The author is using a rather ham-fisted method to try to bring into light the idea that just because this is a virtual world, doesn't mean it isn't a world to live in, as many anime are wont to do (the ham-fisted part), but still. Eyerolls. And lots of them.

Other thoughts:

* I'm wondering how this game handles sex. Actually, I've always wondered how feasible it would be to fire off orgasms in the brain so to speak, without a physical reaction from your body. I guess the bigger question is if the creator bothered to code anything in that allowed it to be simulated, feeling-wise.

* It's obvious Asuna wants to jump Kirito's bones, or in anime language, kiss his brains out.

* I figured purple-haired girl was the killer, though as the obvious choice, I was also sort of expecting for a twist. I guess we'll find out in another episode or two. If we're still going along in the vein of the first four episodes, the answer will likely make sense within the realms of the game. However, if we're finally shifting from explaining the foundations of this game world, it's anyone's guess what fantastical explanation is revealed next episode.

* While I freverently believe if this was to happen in real life, the virtual world would be far more Lord of the Flies than what we're seeing in SAO, there's something refreshing about the author's sense of optimism.

* If the lead groups in the last episode were all the way up to the floors in the 70s, I'm wondering if clearing this boss in the 50s is more optimism. ie: People are actually taking the time to go back and help out the lower level players.

* Which brings me to the question I've been wondering since episode one. Does the game end if someone wins, or does every single person stay in the game until they individually clear all 100 floors?

Edit: Lastly, I'm so glad this thread continues to be all about comparisons with the LN when we have had a thread for just that for three episodes.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 15:18   Link #30
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Oh wow, so Doujins DO become canon, they incorporated parts of the Materia Edition 1: The Progressers.

So even fanfics the author writes CAN become canon hahahahaha.

But I am truly happy that they did this adaptation really well. Has most of the Mystery and details in it. :3

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 15:23   Link #31
Blaat

Asuna was interested and used her hypnotic eyes on Kirito to solve the mystery...

wait wrong series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
However, Kirito really went into eyeball rolling territory with his empathy for NPCs. Oh, I get it. The author is using a rather ham-fisted method to try to bring into light the idea that just because this is a virtual world, doesn't mean it isn't a world to live in, as many anime are wont to do (the ham-fisted part), but still. Eyerolls. And lots of them.
Fully agreed, pulling a boss all the way back to town is a viable strategy. I always loved it when someone pulled Kazak (I think that was his name) to Stormwind, good times.
Old 2012-08-04, 15:31   Link #32
Awrya
U mad?

They skipped some stuff, but the pace was pretty smooth unlike the RNR.

One thing that was disturbing was Yoruko, her reaction, when she and Schmidt were talking, was a bit forced/exaggerated, I almost expected her to take a knife and commit suicide
If she simply cried, the impact would have been better (for me).

Schmidt is leader of the defence squad, why is he a lance user? Speaking of defence, a 1h+shield combo is the usual equipment.

The studio tries to sneak in some fan service, not the usual breasts and panties, but a close-up view of their asses. An OVA of Kawahara's other LN, Accel World, also has some close-up, is it his hidden fetish?

Spoiler for Stuff from the LN:
Old 2012-08-04, 15:35   Link #33
konart

Quote:
* Which brings me to the question I've been wondering since episode one. Does the game end if someone wins, or does every single person stay in the game until they individually clear all 100 floors?
Whoever cleans the game - everyone is free

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-08-04 at 16:21. Reason: edited the quote to only show the important bit
konart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 15:36   Link #34
ookamigirl

Seems like Asuna was thriving in a guild.
Kirito was pretty uninterested to join the fight this time.
Asuna keeps taking his advice. It's pretty LOL
Looks like their safe area was not as safe as they thought.
Those two working a case together was a nice treat.
That "Guilty Thorn" weapon was pretty unusual.
Looks like this episode was detective style and it's not done yet either.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 15:44   Link #35
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Whoever cleans the game - everyone is free
In that case, I'd probably still be on floor one, killing wolves every day to fund drinking beer every night.

Furthermore, I'm now confused why all these big bad players like Asuna and Kirito are back on the 50th floor. Based on what floors the lead players were on last episode, and taking in the time skips between episodes, I'd think the top players would be getting close to 100 by now. I thought they were on floor 50 to help the masses, so to speak, but that makes little sense if only one person needs to clear the game.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 15:58   Link #36
paraalso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
So....this is Asuna's first time ever playing an MMO, and she goes on to become the second-in-command of one of the strongest front-line guilds? Call me skeptical, but that sounds VERY unlikely in most cases. Then again several years have passed in these episodes, so if her position was only recently granted it's a bit more believable.
I think it would be a bit different with a VRMMO. Being athlethic, fit and having fast reflexes in real life might be a bigger advantage than having experience with a lot of normal mmos since you need to actually move with your body to play. It's the first VRMMO, so only the beta testers would have prior experience with playing a system like that.
paraalso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 16:04   Link #37
hero147

Quote:
In that case, I'd probably still be on floor one, killing wolves every day to fund drinking beer every night.

Furthermore, I'm now confused why all these big bad players like Asuna and Kirito are back on the 50th floor. Based on what floors the lead players were on last episode, and taking in the time skips between episodes, I'd think the top players would be getting close to 100 by now. I thought they were on floor 50 to help the masses, so to speak, but that makes little sense if only one person needs to clear the game.
I don't think they passed the 59th floor yet and that's what they're trying to clear atm. They went back to the 50th floor because they needed advice from Egil. I think the majority of players don't live on the front lines and just chill back at a lower leveled floor.
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 16:05   Link #38
stalkingpanda

I thought it was hilarious how those ex-guild members were freaking out at the end of the episode. A BIT MUCH LMAO! She did die of course so perhaps some of that fear was warranted...but still.
stalkingpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 16:08   Link #39
Deltaray

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post
I don't think they passed the 59th floor yet and that's what they're trying to clear atm. They went back to the 50th floor because they needed advice from Egil. I think the majority of players don't live on the front lines and just chill back at a lower leveled floor.
I suppose it's fair to say it here now, Egil is in Clearing group, he just has bought house at floor 50 to run his shop, which he does when he is not attending boss raid, or leveling up.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 16:10   Link #40
Adigard

Quote:
Furthermore, I'm now confused why all these big bad players like Asuna and Kirito are back on the 50th floor.
Spoiler for Comparison to the novels:

Quote:
I thought they were on floor 50 to help the masses, so to speak, but that makes little sense if only one person needs to clear the game.
The raid teams we've seen to-date ensure a solo player can't clear the game though. You seem to need really big parties to take down each floor's raid boss to progress to the next level. So you can't just wait for that one guy to do it. Also, eventually in a death game you're going to lose player's... you'd have to support the masses at least a little to ensure fresh player's can move into the meat grinder... so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraalso View Post
I think it would be a bit different with a VRMMO. Being athlethic, fit and having fast reflexes in real life might be a bigger advantage than having experience with a lot of normal mmos since you need to actually move with your body to play. It's the first VRMMO, so only the beta testers would have prior experience with playing a system like that.
Also, being the world's first VR MMO means absolutely no one has any experience with it, other than the beta testers. Sure, there would be a ton of tropes and things that you'd know entering the game on day one, but even Klein who's had years of MMO experience (at least, from what we saw in Ep1) had a ton of issues with a simple mob on lvl1. So in theory everyone would be on a level playing field... once the basics were understood.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-08-04 at 16:27. Reason: added spoiler tag for comparison
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote