Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-04-29, 22:23   Link #61
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Yes. Yes, it is. What's your point?
No point to be made. It's a fun show for a fun ride. I wonder if product placement will be baked into more manga and anime in the future as I've started seeing some of them include real world brands.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-30, 19:13   Link #62
Top Sergeant

Just caught up on the four episodes currently out and I am hooked. I am enjoying this more than Laid back Camp! II am loving her adventures in learning about the bike and how to maintain it, and I can see her growing and gaining courage and confidence as she does.

The animation for this show has been excellent, as has the thought put into presenting the story: I do not know yet where the funds come from to provide for the MC yet it is obvious her budget is limited. I like how they just show, and therefore never have to explain, that her apartment is a small one. Her actions also convey her limited budget. Well done. I presume we will get the backstory on all that at some point but even if we don't it won't be a big deal.

Reiko's house looks like a cross between a traditional Japanese home and a log cabin; I am very curious to see how it looks on the inside.
Old 2021-04-30, 19:20   Link #63
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Sergeant View Post
The animation for this show has been excellent, as has the thought put into presenting the story: I do not know yet where the funds come from to provide for the MC yet it is obvious her budget is limited. I like how they just show, and therefore never have to explain, that her apartment is a small one. Her actions also convey her limited budget. Well done. I presume we will get the backstory on all that at some point but even if we don't it won't be a big deal.
If I had to guess, Koguma doesn't have close family, but at least some relations who've been kind enough to give her a stipend of sorts, enough to make ends meet at the minimum. This would explain why she keeps things as simple as possible, since she never knows if anything unexpected might happen, and when it might be helpful to have extra Yen kicking around.
Old 2021-05-01, 09:04   Link #64
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumcyclonex View Post
No point to be made. It's a fun show for a fun ride. I wonder if product placement will be baked into more manga and anime in the future as I've started seeing some of them include real world brands.
Product placement has been happening for quite a while. I first saw it in Hataraki Man back in 2007 when an energy-water ran ads like this:

Basquash!, a show about giant robots playing basketball, sported the Nike swoosh throughout.

There are more examples in this discussion: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs....php?t=3051646

In particular this scene from 1998's Gunbuster by Anno Hideaki and GAINAX.

"It's the real thing."
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-01, 10:17   Link #65
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The PV for this series describes Koguma as having "no parents" and "no money either."

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I tried a Google search to see if the Japanese state provided any subsidies to kids in her circumstances, but I didn't find anything relevant. Most kids without parents live in orphanages. I couldn't find anything about living arrangements when kids reach adolescence.
Old 2021-05-01, 10:35   Link #66
Kazu-kun

The manga does say she was given an scholarship so she could keep studying (because no money for tuition) but it doesn't say anything about living expenses. Maybe she had some savings, or maybe the state does provide for her to same extent.

About her parents, well, the anime might cover that at some point so I won't spoil it. It's strange that they haven't mentioned anything about it yet though. The manga literally tells us why she's all alone and what happened to her parents from the get go.
Old 2021-05-01, 11:49   Link #67
grecefar

Mmm I thought too that it was the state who provided for her until she graduated from high school or she had a guardian who send money but that's it and she didn't have any interaction so she was alone.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-02, 11:31   Link #68
ditn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
Reiko's bike has some very expensive parts -- the exhaust might well be a hand-crafted one-off since I think she mentioned it was made of titanium (The Devil's Metal). The market for custom parts for Cubs and their derivatives is quite large since there are literally hundreds of millions of them on the road worldwide but the really high-end parts are not too common and likely to be very expensive.
Thats what i figured.
Getting one off parts is very expensive indeed.
I really like how they slip in formation here and there like in episode 3 that she needs to keep the throttle wide open so it wouldn't stall as well.

Tinkering with the bike/car is one of the most fun things there is so i guess that,s why he taught her how to do it.

Did anyone spot the up garage part.
a well known shop for car and bike parts as well i guess.
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-02, 17:20   Link #69
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
The manga does say she was given an scholarship so she could keep studying (because no money for tuition) but it doesn't say anything about living expenses.
That confirms my suspicion that the courier job was make-work so the school could give her a small income.
Old 2021-05-02, 21:07   Link #70
Ghosty 404

Thinking about this. Her mother isn't dead. She only abandoned her daughter. Maybe she's being forced to make support payments. (??) Dunno. Just speculating.
Ghosty 404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-05, 13:06   Link #71
Ragashingo
Happy Sphere

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! What’s all this excitement doing in my chill anime about a girl working up the courage to stand in line for the microwave?!

Episode 5 was surprisingly action heavy, had some beautiful imagery, and looks to be leading into even more friendship and bike mods. Yay!
Old 2021-05-05, 13:20   Link #72
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

I'm not going to say this show needs to stick 100% to cute girls doing stuff, but spending half of the episode showing the cub cult girl trying to climb the mountain on one because uh... she wants to climb it on one was not interesting to watch.
Then again, apparently she is immune to damages from falling off bikes... (because cubs are that amazing?), so it is natural for her to think differently from other people.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-05, 13:58   Link #73
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I'm not going to say this show needs to stick 100% to cute girls doing stuff, but spending half of the episode showing the cub cult girl trying to climb the mountain on one because uh... she wants to climb it on one was not interesting to watch.
Well I liked it although it did become a bit repetitive. She wasn't learning to take her time, select a clear track and keep her balance better by standing up on the footrests (until later). Then again she's only 15 or so and despite her enthusiasm she's not an experienced biker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Then again, apparently she is immune to damages from falling off bikes... (because cubs are that amazing?), so it is natural for her to think differently from other people.
Throwing bikes down the road is a regular thing for bikers, especially if they're riding on rough roads or tracks. It happens, you pick yourself up and say "Ouch" and then get back on. Despite the racing-action visuals of this episode, a Cub climbing hills and trails that normally require a crawler to traverse would be pushed to manage much more than 10km/h. Coming off at those sorts of speeds is no biggie, just bruises and pulled muscles.

Technical note -- she should have adjusted her bike's carb for the altitude as she got closer to the summit. Fuji-san tops out at 3700 metres and if she's suffering from altitude sickness then so is her bike's engine.
Old 2021-05-05, 18:30   Link #74
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
Throwing bikes down the road is a regular thing for bikers, especially if they're riding on rough roads or tracks. It happens, you pick yourself up and say "Ouch" and then get back on. Despite the racing-action visuals of this episode, a Cub climbing hills and trails that normally require a crawler to traverse would be pushed to manage much more than 10km/h. Coming off at those sorts of speeds is no biggie, just bruises and pulled muscles.
She fell off the bike and rolled down the mountain side.
Now, my only experience with falling off motorbikes is falling off and ripping my knee bloody once, so I'm no expert in the endurance of bikers, but from what I saw in the episode, it felt abnormal she was perfectly fine after so many falls. That, and it was just too boring to think about other stuff.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-05, 18:43   Link #75
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm surprised Reiko didn't break a bone or two. And yeah, what she did was pretty stupid, she admitted it herself, but with a Cub, nothing is impossible!

I lost count of the times they said "Cub" in this episode.
Old 2021-05-05, 21:49   Link #76
grecefar

You need to learn how to walk to learn how to run, she has 0 experience in mountain road and she wants to climb mt fuji at full speed, don't get full of yourself... she is lucky that she only had minor wounds. She could've died but well this is anime.

Well at least she admitted that she is an idiot and what she did was stupid.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-06, 01:05   Link #77
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Wow, I want a house like Reiko's. Her family must be really loaded.

NHK World has a reality series called Three-Day Daredevils, and in one episode they had some Asian YouTuber spend three days working as one of the people who hike up Fuji and meet up with the Caterpillar at the various way stations, to unload it and restock the vending machines. The hiking trail doesn't have as many switchbacks, so it's shorter and they can keep up.

I should point out that we only have Reiko's word as to how many times she fell or how rough the falls were. She could have done a bit of exaggerating for dramatic effect.

And now I'm waiting for the Yama no Susume/YuruCamp/Super Cub Fuji-palooza!
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-07, 07:50   Link #78
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
And now I'm waiting for the Yama no Susume/YuruCamp/Super Cub Fuji-palooza!
Ha! Still, if Rin had the three wheeler loaner bike she drove in the OVA she might stand a better chance.

Man, I wish that crossover could be real.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-09, 12:00   Link #79
ditn

the last part was the best, Engine tuning lets go
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-10, 04:41   Link #80
Liddo-kun
is this so?

episode 5:

not really a fan of this episode, as I dislike the dangerous thing climbing a mountain with bike. No offense to fans of hobby.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorcycles