AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online: Alicization - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 2 22.22%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 1 11.11%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 33.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 22.22%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 11.11%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2018-11-23, 23:00   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Sword Art Online: Alicization - Episode 8 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Sword Art Online: Alicization, Episode 8.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Character bashing is not on-topic and will not be tolerated.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-24, 12:12   Link #2
zeross87

this episode was a little wtf for me. first i'm not a fan of too flashy particule effets during fight and this one was so full of it it hurted to see. then kirito hallucinating some voices (yeah someone talked to him with magic i guess) and starting a restorating genkidama on the flower was like really ?

and of course some new harem addition at the end, can't leave without that ^^
zeross87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-24, 13:28   Link #3
Side-streetdog

Cheater still be a cheater, huh?
Seriously, like every season(?) some mysterious power help Kirito do something he shouldn't able to
Anime quality still as high as ever. all the fights still goddamn smooth

I didn't read novel after around this point so all episodes after this likely something new to me
Old 2018-11-24, 15:51   Link #4
Lukes YGO & WS on YT
ルークです

Spoiler for Episode 8 Comments/Feedback:
Lukes YGO & WS on YT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-24, 17:09   Link #5
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeross87 View Post

and of course some new harem addition at the end, can't leave without that ^^
Don't forget the cringe-worthy bullies who are still around and continue to only seem to exist to be bullies.
Old 2018-11-24, 19:44   Link #6
Tiberium Wolf

Woah... I have just noticed that most the background characters have 1 big and other small eye...
Old 2018-11-24, 19:50   Link #7
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
Don't forget the cringe-worthy bullies who are still around and continue to only seem to exist to be bullies.
Is there a way to do bullies right?
Old 2018-11-24, 20:33   Link #8
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die

I hope someone kills those bullies
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-24, 21:00   Link #9
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
I'd say Bakugou from MHA was a bully character done right, but I don't really expect much from these guys here. I honestly can't even bother feeling plain annoyance for them.
Old 2018-11-24, 23:23   Link #10
Frontier

Man, the idea that one's imagination and visualization of power could grant them special powers is actually kind of scary when you think about it, since it means they could draw from potentially limitless power if they were able to think about it .

Eugeo's lord and mentor being this big burly guy feels like a recipe for comedy that I'm a little disappointed the show didn't explore .

Kirito and Eugeo drinking wine with Liena-Senpai was kind of surprising. Although I guess if we assume that Kirito was around his real world age when he was thrown back into the Underworld, wouldn't he be the legal Japanese age to drink by now in the Underworld timeline ?

I never thought I would see Kirito brought to tears over bullies ruining his garden, but the show did explain why Kirito emphasized with the flowers so much and connected it back to his better understanding the secret power that permeates the world he lives in .

I'm going to guess the voice in Kirito's head was that purple-haired woman in the Opening. I'm curious to see how she'll connect to things and, inevitably, what's going on with Alice .

Liena beating the other Lord on her own was pretty nice to see, and it was also nice to see her get a more conclusive win against him since it felt like she needed it more then Kirito did. All around I think Liena was a pretty cool Senpai and character, and I hope we see her again soon even though she graduated from the Academy .

The idea of Kirito with a paige he has to mentor and order around just seems hilarious. Even Kirito doesn't take it seriously .

Looks like our boys in their new ranking will be getting back on track to solving the mystery of what happened to Alice .
Old 2018-11-25, 04:00   Link #11
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
I'd say Bakugou from MHA was a bully character done right, but I don't really expect much from these guys here. I honestly can't even bother feeling plain annoyance for them.
Done right in what way? He never really gets his comeuppance. Things actually go incredibly well for him, even if his anger issues and entitlement don't always let him see things that way. Which I suppose is realistic, but not very satisfying.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-25, 12:09   Link #12
Haak

Blargh. I mean at least the show isn't shameless enough to just hand Kirito a victory but the level of depth this writer puts into Kirito's skill is so lacking. It always comes down to the arbitrary plot convenient power of will. The contrast between this and for example the Heaven's Arena arc of Hunter x Hunter is like night and day.

And Kirito getting weirdly emotional over some flowers is just nauseating. This franchise always had a long standing issue in being overly sentimental and SRSBSNS about the dumbest things but I felt like it was mostly kept in check until now.

This episode was officially Strike One for me. Another two strikes and I'm out.
Old 2018-11-25, 12:51   Link #13
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Done right in what way? He never really gets his comeuppance. Things actually go incredibly well for him, even if his anger issues and entitlement don't always let him see things that way. Which I suppose is realistic, but not very satisfying.
Done better than the usual bully in that he has a characterization than your usual anime bully. Though I guess that's the result of him being a main character rather than a plot device like the bullies here. Also things don't always go his way, though it's usually never a direct result of his bullying which is a point I'll agree with you on. Mind you, it's not like I'm especially fond of his character.
Old 2018-11-25, 12:52   Link #14
GDB

Quote:
You give them a character aspect or other motivation other than existing solely to bully.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-25, 14:38   Link #15
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Kirito and Eugeo drinking wine with Liena-Senpai was kind of surprising. Although I guess if we assume that Kirito was around his real world age when he was thrown back into the Underworld, wouldn't he be the legal Japanese age to drink by now in the Underworld timeline ?
In the novel Kirito actually has a bit of inner monologue regarding this and, if I remember this right, he mentions that in Underworld you can never get anything other than happy by drinking alcohol. It's like the author was trying to justify having a minor drinking by coming up with an excuse for it to be ok
Old 2018-11-25, 14:42   Link #16
Haak

Would it still be illegal if it were virtual drinking? Don't know why it would need an excuse.
Old 2018-11-25, 17:37   Link #17
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
You give them a character aspect or other motivation other than existing solely to bully.
Yeah, but that's usually to redeem them. From my experience, the definition of a bully is to piss you off and make you want to stomp them. They exist solely to antagonize.
Old 2018-11-25, 20:50   Link #18
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
In the novel Kirito actually has a bit of inner monologue regarding this and, if I remember this right, he mentions that in Underworld you can never get anything other than happy by drinking alcohol. It's like the author was trying to justify having a minor drinking by coming up with an excuse for it to be ok
Sounds like the perfect world .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Would it still be illegal if it were virtual drinking? Don't know why it would need an excuse.
I mean, the Underworld is it's own legitimate and developed society, so it's possible they have a completely different attitude or age limit to drinking then the real world does.
Quote:
Yeah, but that's usually to redeem them. From my experience, the definition of a bully is to piss you off and make you want to stomp them. They exist solely to antagonize.
It also probably depends on the story you're trying to tell and what function the bullies serve in it.
Old 2018-11-26, 15:36   Link #19
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I mean, the Underworld is it's own legitimate and developed society, so it's possible they have a completely different attitude or age limit to drinking then the real world does.
I was mostly talking about the implication that this is a Light Novel targeted at teens that has a teen main character drinking. To me it felt like the author was trying to excuse himself from the idea that he was advocating for teen drinking. On the other hand I'm from a completely different culture from the Japanese one and may be just reading into stuff that's not really there (most likely).