AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-09-18, 21:26   Link #601
MgMaster

And this is the part where if it wasn't for the show ending like that, I'd say the manga readers are once again complaining way too much. In fact, it was pretty damn good up till then. These last 3 episodes in particular definitely knew how to keep the tension going and censorship aside, the action was rather fluid.

Buuuuuut, ending it right there is just....ugh. I mean, with just 1 more episode it probably could've at least reach a good stopping point. I guess Tokyo Ghoul can redeem this to a degree if we get a 2nd season, although not entirely. If it doesn't then welp...it's a serious issue since this would probably be one of the worst endings of the year.

T'was still pretty awesome throughout it's run though. 8/10 if it get's a 2nd season from me(maybe), 6/10 if it doesn't. While I do think the ending is paramount, I don't completely agree that it should totally ruin one's enjoyment of an anime so I guess 7/10 is fitting for now...such a shame though.

Last edited by MgMaster; 2014-09-18 at 22:32.
MgMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-18, 21:37   Link #602
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

A good commercial to get people to read the manga.

Adaptation as a whole was alright. The performances from the cast were the best part. That and the opening. It felt rushed at times.
Old 2014-09-19, 00:54   Link #603
R.LocK
My turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MgMaster View Post
And this is the part where if it wasn't for the show ending like that, I'd say the manga readers are once again complaining way too much. In fact, it was pretty damn good up till then. These last 3 episodes in particular definitely knew how to keep the tension going and censorship aside, the action was rather fluid.
Nope. We just couldn't explain what the show lacked without spoiling everything. Like, something about half of the Aogiri arc being cut off from the adaptation. Anime-only watchers have no idea about inner structure of... District 11, for example. Or, even, anything about Nico. Or Bin brothers.

As an adaptation, Tokyo Ghoul is lacking. It is interesting for anime-only watchers, but I hated what anime was doing at times. Kaneki and Touka suffered from animators' decisions. Actually, this rant's going too far, so I'm going to stop here.

Oh wait...

Quote:
Oh, and too much ghoul not enough police either.
Yeah, right, what? The only thing which manga happened to expand on is Doves. Like, seriously. The only basic thing left out about inner structure of Doves is their rankings while information about ghouls is seriously lacking compared to manga's at that point.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 01:24   Link #604
MartianMage

I'd say that the last episode was actually pretty good. IMO the torture scene was done well except the sad part is it ended there. I would have at least expected them to cover the aftermath of the whole raid especially when they already showed Owl...

All in all even with all the changes they made into this adaptation I still say that it's a pretty good adaptation. Sure it could have been a lot better with more episodes but it did a decent job in covering the good parts of Tokyo Ghoul.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 01:51   Link #605
R.LocK
My turn

Oh, right. Finall trolling from Pierrot. Field of flowers. Goddammit, Pierrot. Goddammit.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 02:09   Link #606
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Honestly, all this reactions about the final episode can really be compressed into one statement:

The anime lacked episode count, ever since the start.

If they try to finish Aogiri arc in 4 episodes, ep 12 will pretty much be completely cut, leading to the manga readers into absolute rage mode (honestly? As a manga reader, I would NOT forgive the anime if they cut the 20 mins part of this episode). One of the reasons why manga readers stay with the anime adaptation despite it being a disappointment in many levels is because we want this part to be animated in all its glory. No if or buts. We're greedy like that, tyvm, but this particular part is basically the first biggest draw for the manga.

But yet when we get this episode as the 'final' episode, with no s2 in sight (at the moment)? Anime viewers shits on the end. The anime just can't have it easy thanks to readers' expectation and lack of episode count (and Shueisha being a total miser in investing on anything other than SJ and Betsumaga titles, and even then they only really push the sport titles from SJ lmao).

Sure they can just not touch Aogiri arc, but say that it does not get an s2 due to the anime not being able to push the manga sales to acceptable for s2 greenlight level? Good luck on sending hate mails to Shueisha.

Trivia:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
(Cr: Tumblr, if the images are broken due to cache)

Really like how the anime can convey the implication of his changes with movement, which is a different taste from the manga. I'd love to have the director and storyboarder back if we ever get an s2--changes notwithstanding, they did a good job all in all.

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 02:58   Link #607
MasterVampire

So they just ended it there?

What about his friends who came to save him?
Feels like its missing 1 more episode

WTFFFFFFFF
MasterVampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 03:06   Link #608
hamazura
whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterVampire View Post
So they just ended it there?

What about his friends who came to save him?
Feels like its missing 1 more episode

WTFFFFFFFF
pierrot : "want to know what next? read the fvking manga"
goodjob pierrot
Old 2014-09-19, 03:26   Link #609
deadlight
バカ うさぎ

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.LocK View Post
Nope. We just couldn't explain what the show lacked without spoiling everything. Like, something about half of the Aogiri arc being cut off from the adaptation. Anime-only watchers have no idea about inner structure of... District 11, for example. Or, even, anything about Nico. Or Bin brothers.
all the cuts and rush really hurt it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
Honestly, all this reactions about the final episode can really be compressed into one statement:

The anime lacked episode count, ever since the start.

If they try to finish Aogiri arc in 4 episodes, ep 12 will pretty much be completely cut, leading to the manga readers into absolute rage mode (honestly? As a manga reader, I would NOT forgive the anime if they cut the 20 mins part of this episode). One of the reasons why manga readers stay with the anime adaptation despite it being a disappointment in many levels is because we want this part to be animated in all its glory. No if or buts. We're greedy like that, tyvm, but this particular part is basically the first biggest draw for the manga.
When I heard of the anime, my thoughts were that this the part that needs to be put in, and stop the anime at the end of this arc, since it kinda fits as a season end
deadlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 04:46   Link #610
MasterVampire

What part in the manga can I read that has Kaneki's friends reaction to his white hair and new self?
MasterVampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 05:42   Link #611
Rogue66

OK the last episode was awesome the torture scene and that end fight scene was the best in the whole series but it make want more just ending it like that is disappointing I hope they give it a true good ending in a ova or a season 2.
Rogue66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 06:04   Link #612
bastek66

Second season is real?
Old 2014-09-19, 07:46   Link #613
LG-MAX 2.o

was a good episode, except the part where the Kaneki is "mixing" with Rize, seriously, the writers of the anime did not understand the relationship of these two, and they did too fillers for this her.

second season: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...january/.78943
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 09:34   Link #614
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
It certainly was an interesting way to end this season. I'm more inclined to believe that the announcement of a second season is real simple because it seems very weird in so many ways to end this arc with no conclusion.

I actually thought the episode by itself was really well done. Cinematically I think the episode works as a whole, and it was beautiful and disturbing to watch, which is of course part of the point. Watching Kaneki change through Yamori's torture and "Rize's" coaxing was kind of heart breaking. Strictly speaking I don't completely disagree with "Rize's" reasoning or Kaneki's choice it's just unfortunate what he had to lose in the process. Also, of all the habits you could have picked up from Yamori, Kaneki, why that one?! :P
Cloudedmind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 13:21   Link #615
com_gwp

Even as an anime-only watcher, I'm echoing the general sentiment that the ending episode was stellar. The atypical choice to slow everything down and intimately zoom in on Kaneki's characterization was far preferable to the mad rush of wrapping up the story like you'd usually see with midpoint endings for adaptations. Great display of cinematography finesse in the way the episode built to Kaneki's breaking point whilst seamlessly weaving in and out of Kaneki's delirium. The torture did get a bit too visceral for my tastes, but I guess that was entirely the point for Kaneki. Also, props to the final fight scene, which was simply spectacular; I fully get why people were calling white-kaneki a complete badass now.

8/10, my main complain is the series trying to cram far too many things in by the end (common pitfall for any adaptation) and the resulting inconclusiveness from half-resolved storylines and character arcs. But with confirmed(?) news of the second season, the "abrupt" ending for the series seems more sensible now. In the meantime, I'll be reading the adapted chapters to see what exactly was with the huge fuss all season.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 13:24   Link #616
ReinZwei
南宮 那月

If this wasn't a last episode I can rate it a score within 9-10 mark specially that they made that Yamori fight fluidly and spectacular.

But bah, it likes buy the BR/DVD if you want to see it continued (both the manga and the anime).

BTW on the side note, why does Kaneki and Yamori always cracking their fingers...
IM@S Avatars: Click Me
Old 2014-09-19, 13:25   Link #617
Jagger

I hope there's a second season, it feels like the story is just beginning. It would have been pretty pointless to spend all those episodes setting up this cool universe and characters then literally go nowhere with it. I don't even know what the overarching story is, "become the hokage" or "find out death gunz's identity" or what have you, this anime is so under-baked it's finished and I don't even know what the point of the story was.
Jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 13:45   Link #618
MCAL

Well you definitely can't say it went down on a conventional note. If the second season announcement is true, this was an excellent cliffhanger ending.

As for the episode, direction was once again off the charts and that's ultimately why this anime is not as bad as manga readers think it is, despite it being rushed.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 14:17   Link #619
ookamigirl

Damn, that was a lot of torture..
In all the pain he kept going back to his childhood.
His "talks" with Rize were more like negotiations.
That Jason is a true monster and deserves to die horribly.
Finally he embraced Rize and went to full power!
Kaneki's fight with Jason was amazing!!
Things just started to get very interesting.
Didn't get the feeling of a final episode from this.
Hope this will get another season at some point in the future.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-19, 14:19   Link #620
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
BTW on the side note, why does Kaneki and Yamori always cracking their fingers...
Yamori gets that who tortured him, and Kaneki inherited it from Yamori. (It should have been shown in the anime, but was cut). this acts as a trigger, I can not say more because it would be spoiler

Kaneki-kun is one of the most unstable psychologically protagonists ever invented.

Quote:
Finally he embraced Rize and went to full power!
I did not like this part because what Kaneki do is embrace the Ghoul side he has, but the anime whole changed it in Rize, implying that she "possess
" him.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
psychological, violence