AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-11-27, 19:21   Link #221
NapoleonDeCheese

The Negima flashback is mostly 'new' material, but the concept of overfeeding Negi until he becomes 'comically' fat is taken from chapter 56 of Negima.
NapoleonDeCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-28, 03:03   Link #222
4th Dimension

I don't think the flashback segment is new. I remember both the bit with Incho summoning the table full of food AND the overeating bit. They might have cobble together two incidents into this one though.
My problem with that scene is mostly that they f-ing ruined it from comedy standpoint with SLOW pacing. 3A shenanigans allways had a frenetic feel, as various girl's different personalities and objectives crashed into each other and played off each other. So the lines and events should have been more quick firing with Incho's big DRAMA moments being notably slower to drive the point in. As it is, the entire segment was toooo slow and boring. Which is a crying shame.
Also it contains Chisame SMILING?!?! Chisame. Chisame the broken suspension of disbelief. Chisame was never the fan of their shenanigans. She would probably be pissed about what they were all doing....
And the image of Negi with PART of the class, she class mates are REALLY poorly drawn.

The shenanigans and slapstick with Touta on the other hand worked MUCH better, even though as other note the affection bit basically came out of nowhere for all of them except for Kuromaru. And this is ESPECIALLY true of Kirie, whoom Touta met like couple hours ago and whose interaction with him was mostly him UTTERLY failing to save her at this point.
The normal girls could technically be excused since the ojou-chan was probably fed stories by Inchou and is looking to pattern herself on her, and Rider girl has had interactions with Touta before this behind the scenes. But Kirie is the odd one out.

Oh an yeah, RiderGirl's bit where she gives tea to Touta was badly set up. I bet that in the manga if the scene is there, she gets him tea AFTER he helps her clean up after him and such. But the way it's rendered here, he messes up her work and she gets him tea to award him for that.
Oh and note that the trash bags were filled with nothing but paper. Got to cut corners everywhere we can I guess and clumps of paper are easiest to draw.

All in all most of these problems are a result of the rush and especially Kirie because a lot of events where both participate simply aren't there no longer.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-28, 04:03   Link #223
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

As others have mentioned already, this episode shows a terrible lack of relationship buildup, mostly for Kirie...which hurts the show imo :/

There's also the big reveal at the end. In the manga it had quite a bit of buildup and drama thrown in, but here that was all thrown aside because there's only 3 episodes left...and I have no idea where they intend to finish the show.

This is truly an alternate timeline diverging from the manga's timeline
Old 2017-11-28, 10:13   Link #224
4th Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
and I have no idea where they intend to finish the show.
I'm assuming they are aiming for a big throw down with the Negi. It's the only thing that makes sense given how sped up this was and how prominent Negi is in all this.

Old 2017-11-28, 20:23   Link #225
NapoleonDeCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
I don't think the flashback segment is new. I remember both the bit with Incho summoning the table full of food AND the overeating bit. They might have cobble together two incidents into this one though.
As I said, Negi overeating comes from Volume 7, chapter 56, although it was only Makie stuffing him there.

Ayaka pulling the table full of food comes from Volume 2, chapter 14, the one where Negi, Asuna and Konoka visit Ayaka's manor. It was even adapted for the Xebec anime.
Old 2017-12-04, 18:01   Link #226
Team Rocket Elite

Episode 10
Spoiler for Manga chapters covered:
Old 2017-12-04, 18:26   Link #227
RDNexus

Well, at least they tried to stick as close to the Manga as they possibly could, right?
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-04, 19:30   Link #228
Team Rocket Elite

I think they did about as well as they could reasonably have been expected to do if they had to cover 120+ chapters over the 10 episodes so far. Lots of events got shuffled around or skipped but by and large events in the anime are events that occurred at some point in the manga. I just wished that they tried to cover a more reasonable amount of material for a 1 cour anime.
Old 2017-12-04, 20:15   Link #229
NapoleonDeCheese

I don't know why most people online (well, of the few following this anime anyway) seemed so sure the water race arc would be kept in.

Like, it's a high speed fanservice filled long sequence. It would demand too much censorship everywhere AND too much good fast moving, speed-delivering animation in a series that barely can get its characters moving without their faces deforming anymore. Negi's students have been particularly bad about this, which is curious, since usually the faces of the UQ originals are acceptable.

In this episode, for instance, we have things like the blood on Touta's face being basically dry as soon as it has come out, like paint sticking to his flesh instead of flowing or dripping. And of course, there's the sequence where suddenly a guy, who by the way is the world's greatest legendary hero turned villain, shows up after being believed dead, floating down out of nowhere during a fight in a stadium full of people.

And the crowd remains all perfectly still and expressionless like cardboard cutouts.

It's just kind of pathetic. I know they're working with a TV budget, but even SHAFT's TV Negima from nearly a decade ago had better production values, even if the story kind of sucked. It's just sad to see we haven't really advanced but actually devolved during all these years.
Old 2017-12-04, 20:38   Link #230
bakato

Mana sounds awful. She's so soft-spoken. What were these people thinking?
Old 2017-12-04, 20:58   Link #231
NapoleonDeCheese

Mana's seiyuu always was one of the weakest links in Negima's mostly very solid Japanese voice cast, but the absolute weakest by far was Asakura's. She just sounded like a Muppet, and the voice didn't fit the character at all.

Well, that, and while Satou Rina was a fine Child Negi, hearing her trying to sound like an adult man is cringeworthy.
Old 2017-12-05, 01:03   Link #232
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

... It's an adult man possessed by a woman? Or maybe a child body magically turned into an adult's (like Eva's) possessed by a woman.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-05, 10:05   Link #233
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rocket Elite View Post
I just wished that they tried to cover a more reasonable amount of material for a 1 cour anime.
I was hoping for that when I heard UQ Holder was getting animated, but then this happened...

Really, what's with the hurry? Why is there a need to "catch up" with the source material when it is at 140+ chapters?
Old 2017-12-05, 10:55   Link #234
RDNexus

Because they advertised the series as UQ Holder! ~Mahou Sensei Negima 2~ instead of it's simpler, original title, so they most likely wanted the series to, at least, reach that point of the Manga. Still, doesn't change the fact that it's quite a mess
Old 2017-12-05, 17:31   Link #235
Team Rocket Elite

Could they not have used the new title but stick to something more reasonable like adapting up to the end of the Fate battle? That would be 42 chapters. Evangeline shows up at the start and Fate shows up at the end. End the cour with Fate revealing that Negi is alive and that Fate killed Touta's parents. It's not on the level of what just happened in the most recent episode but there are a fair number of direct ties to the original series even early on. UQ Holder was considered a Negima sequel long before it got a name change.
Old 2017-12-05, 17:55   Link #236
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapoleonDeCheese View Post
It's just kind of pathetic. I know they're working with a TV budget, but even SHAFT's TV Negima from nearly a decade ago had better production values, even if the story kind of sucked. It's just sad to see we haven't really advanced but actually devolved during all these years.
You can blame that on the animation studio putting higher priority animation wise on Children of the Whales and season 3 of Food Por... I mean Food Wars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Because they advertised the series as UQ Holder! ~Mahou Sensei Negima 2~ instead of it's simpler, original title, so they most likely wanted the series to, at least, reach that point of the Manga. Still, doesn't change the fact that it's quite a mess
More like the fact that they had key art that depicted stuff that wouldn't happen in the manga until about ten volumes in, and thus was rushing through the series (and skipping some arcs) just to get to this moment.
Old 2017-12-05, 18:32   Link #237
RDNexus

Wouldn't a Key Art, normally, only come up after it were decided until where an adaptation goes?
If it's so, then your point gets muted.
Old 2017-12-05, 20:21   Link #238
NapoleonDeCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rocket Elite View Post
Could they not have used the new title but stick to something more reasonable like adapting up to the end of the Fate battle? That would be 42 chapters. Evangeline shows up at the start and Fate shows up at the end. End the cour with Fate revealing that Negi is alive and that Fate killed Touta's parents. It's not on the level of what just happened in the most recent episode but there are a fair number of direct ties to the original series even early on. UQ Holder was considered a Negima sequel long before it got a name change.
They most likely wanted to show the Negima waifus.

Just look at the promo images, they've made use of Asuna, Yue and Nodoka, and even Makie was in the very first released image. They couldn't have used them, plus Rakan and Albireo, at all if they had stuck to those chapters, they likely felt they had to go out of their way to show this particular lineup, no matter how much they'd have to twist and cut events around for it.

Besides, cutting the story right there would've been its own kind of risk. This thing doesn't seem to have too much of a budget, I think they never were betting heavily on it as anything but a promotional piece for the manga (which isn't a market shaker either and performs overall worse than Negima and Love Hina in sales). I don't believe they ever would have bet on making a second season and ending the first one in such a big cliffhanger long before ever reaching the fight with Negi's team.
Old 2017-12-06, 00:39   Link #239
Team Rocket Elite

I guess it is true that if they wanted to advertise characters that don't really show up until chapter 120+ they have to cover up to chapter 120+. I'll wait and see how the last episodes are handled before I make a decision whether it was really worth it or not for the anime to force its way this far into the manga.
Old 2017-12-06, 12:03   Link #240
4th Dimension

Quote:
Just look at the promo images, they've made use of Asuna,
And yet notice how they seem REAL hesitant to notice Asuna. They had dozens of chances to mention her in the last episode, and yet they don't for some reason? Despite her being tied to Touta's backstory.
But then again the Anime didn't really go into why and how he can use Magia Ereba or the fact that Asuna and Negi bits in him are in conflict.

Quote:
This thing doesn't seem to have too much of a budget,
This has a budget? I was convinced couple dudes made this on lunch, while starving.