AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-14, 02:12   Link #341
longshot

teppei reminds me of batman for some reason....rich life, fighting skills, and a reason to use his money to find out how and why his parent's died
longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 04:08   Link #342
Wrath88
Kissing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot View Post
teppei reminds me of batman for some reason....rich life, fighting skills, and a reason to use his money to find out how and why his parent's died
LOL, as if... there's only slight similarities, not enough to qualify.
1) Batman had parents killed in front of him, Teppei had happy farewell before going off to school
2) Batman was rich from the start, Teppei suddenly gets thrust in
3) Batman got seriously HAX skills from crazy training, Teppei probably got whacked around a lot by his dad.
Nice statement though, gives people food for thought.

Meh, Yuu has only 1/2 an episode so far of development to Sylvia's few minutes, but the reason why I said that she and Seika were underdeveloped is because of that stereotype of first girl first.

This is how I'm seeing things by the way:
Sylvia and Teppei get relationship up because they interact as rivals somewhat at school, and as engaged partners.
Charlotte will rush her way into his time because of her character, using the 'my rescuer' as a starting reason.
Yuu will be on hand as his maid back at home, but will mostly get cut out by the first two at school.
Seika will 'attempt' to get in on him, but so far she's the most disadvantaged.
Old 2009-07-14, 05:30   Link #343
Revan21

Hmm, subs are finally out

That "Nooo!" in the early morning was hilarious, I couldn't stop laughing on his tone

Sadly, the censorship completely ruined the pantsu-joke:

"Oh, it's stripped!
This one's pink!
This one is snowy white"

Too bad we couldn't see anything of it...

Last edited by Revan21; 2009-07-14 at 05:54.
Revan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 06:08   Link #344
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan21 View Post
Sadly, the censorship completely ruined the pantsu-joke:
At least he told us what color Panties each of them were wearing.

Really liked the second episode. The character interaction works very nicely, plus the comedy hits all the right buttons with me. At the moment i'm having a hard time choosing just one favorite (i blame myself for liking far to many types), so hopefully i can choose by the next episode.

I do know that Nezu is going to be a right laugh in this series.
Old 2009-07-14, 06:52   Link #345
Revan21

Okay, it was in the Preview too

Spoiler for NFSW:

The CGI limousine looked a bit akward when they were pulling out from the main house.
Old 2009-07-14, 06:53   Link #346
Key Board
Carbon

I can't stop seeing Shugo Chara in these designs

It's VERY amusing, though
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 07:04   Link #347
noxian

To give the thread something else other than the shipping or "they ripped off Saber" comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
I'm no swords expert but can a rapier even hold up to a katana?
It would hold up as well as any long thin sharp piece of steel would versus another long thin sharp piece of steel. At least in reality-land. In fantasy-land, katana are given an infusion of magical alloy that makes them functionally equivilent to lightsabers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaloki View Post
think not... it seems that the author or whoever was involved in here has no enough time to think about those stuffs xD western fencer versus eastern samurai presto... they jsut want us to have the picture i think
To the contrary, i'd say the anime writers have a far more realistic view considering the usual cultural pride/martial arts ego that usually gets in the way, and lets not even get into the even less realistic view anime fandom has

afterall, talk to animedom, and you'd find people that seriously believe a katana can magically cut through other pieces of steel simply because an old japanese guy made it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat's Disciple View Post
Not quite true, it depends on the type of saber being used, and how well it was crafted. If we're talking brute force, then the katana would win, but if you use dexterity and skill it would be a fairly matched fight. It all comes down to who knows their weapons weaknesses better, and how how to use their weapons strengths to the best.
yes....and no. a rapier is designed for thrusting, katana for cutting.
Contrary to popular animedom belief the katana does not weigh that much. both swords weigh in at ~2.5lbs in the real world. Now for those of you who know your physics, once you take mass out of the equation, whats the only factor that will differentiate force? acceleration. Which for a swinging cut would be exactly the same for either sword assuming you found two swordsmen whose max speed was the same (obviously differences in physical abilities make this rather variable)
HOWEVER, the rotational speed of a slash is faster than the linear speed of a thrust, so yes a cut has more power than a thrust
and since a rapier is designed primarily from thrusting (note: straight) and a katana for cutting (note: curved), you could arguably say the katana has a force advantage.
but really, nothing stops you from taking a swing with the rapier or a thrust with the katana.

Things to keep in mind?
1) there's a saying i like, "its not the martial art, its the martial artist."
2) once you take out the magic secretly forged into the blade, a katana is just a thin piece of metal like the next sword.
3) thrusts and cuts are both equally excellent at killing people
noxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 07:11   Link #348
kalbron

Speaking of katanas, it's somewhat hillarious how the view of their mystical powers has come about due to how they were made. That repeated folding stuff? It was done because the quality of Japanese iron was utterly horrible. They wouldn't have lasted a single fight without it.

As for the episode, Omni's screens make it look fun.
kalbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 07:18   Link #349
Revan21

The creators have no sense of interior decorating
Spoiler for pic:

Is this even a room or a ballpark?
Old 2009-07-14, 07:43   Link #350
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxian View Post
yes....and no. a rapier is designed
Just want to point out, in the first episode, which my comment relates to, she isnt using a rapier, she's using a saber. Sabers are basically a cross between the long sword and rapier. Light, thin and dynamic, but also able to thrust and slash.

A rapier wouldnt be able to take a katana slash (though it looks like it will in the next ep hehe), but a saber could.
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 08:08   Link #351
Bordix

ep 2 (subs out)

Spoiler for 2(some pics):
Old 2009-07-14, 08:12   Link #352
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
I'm no swords expert but can a rapier even hold up to a katana?
/weapon rant incoming

Short answer (as already noted): yes, it can. Rapiers became popular for a reason among western fencers, and they were excellent killing tools. Not to say a katana isn't one, but there are no inherent properties that would make katana superior to a rapier; both utilize quite different fencing styles to begin with. A rapier would have both speed and reach advantage, and thrusting attacks are generally harder to defend against than swings - which is to say, a katana user would have to place himself in considerable risk if he were to move in to the effective offense range of his sword (Which isn't instant, contrary to what watching TV might lead you to believe ).

Katana would have the obvious advantage in cutting power and the force behind an attack you can achieve, due to the physics behind a slashing attack of a two handed sword, meaning it can likely strike the rapier to a side, should the rapier user be forced to block a hit. (And no, a katana would not snap a rapier in half any more than any other pole of tempered steel - which is to say it won't happen, or very very extremely unlikely to happen, despite the diamond cutting properties a katana gets bestowed in many anime and movies for whatever unfounded reason). Receiving an attack from the katana is more deadly than from a rapier though - if you are cut, it very likely means the duel is already over, while it is more likely to survive a thrust from a rapier. (Which is of potentially small comfort seeing you got stabbed regardless and will be slowed down from here on).

Rapier offers more defense against a katana than vice versa though against the signature move of each sword - thrusts are quicker performed and further reaching than swings, and much harder to deflect to a side than a cut. Additionally, the cross-guard of a rapier doesn't exist just for the show and can be used both to protect the hand holding it, and to "trap" the opponent;s sword depending on the design. Given that a rapier was used together with a dagger in the other hand more often then not, guess where that leaves the opponent whose sword is being bound. Generally rapier is the more versatile sword of the two (Which goes for about any European sword when compared against a katana) and would offer more opportunities for engaging and disengaging in a fight. You need to get past the tip of the rapier, in which case the katana user can be declared victorious, as the tip is where the rapier's deadliness both starts and ends - the trick is getting there without punctured throat/lungs/face/heart. IS that possible ? Certainly, but it comes down more to the individual skill of each fencer, than it does to any inherent properties of the swords in question.

Suffice to say though, a typical rapier fencer would likely be more familiar with the style of a katana user, due to the later sharing general similarities with your traditional European longsword (albeit limited to half to the offensive moves because of the single cutting edge though, but possibly being a quicker sword to maneuver in close combat) than the other way around.

In the end, the question who would win is very hard to answer. Historically the two weapons never clashed on the battlefield, but suffice to say both make excellent of the task they were made for - killing people, just that they do so through quite different styles and approach to fencing. In the end, it would come down to the skills of the users, as there is nothing about the blades that make them inherently superior to each other on a general scale.
Old 2009-07-14, 08:36   Link #353
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Suffice to say though, a typical rapier fencer would likely be more familiar with the style of a katana user, due to the later sharing general similarities with your traditional European longsword (albeit limited to half to the offensive moves because of the single cutting edge though, but possibly being a quicker sword to maneuver in close combat) than the other way around.
I'm going to speculate here they would likely be familiar with a chinese jian, and thus piercing weapons would not be alien to them.
Old 2009-07-14, 08:36   Link #354
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

----What, AoShen sub doesn't has OP & ED !? Not even preview !?
;______;

Now I really need a compilation of the preview picture, or else I need to download the RAW again just to see it :<

----And, episode 2 is really intresting after I've seen the sub. Seika reminds me of Hinagiku, but somehow she has a strange hateful behavior towards Teppei after learning that he is an Arima. . probably because she thinks that Teppei is a stuck up boy just because he 'spends' great money to the school, in which he didn't. I wonder at how her reaction would be after she learns about Teppei's true personality. Probably a cute tsundere

Also, damn you Teppei for having Yuu at your disposal ! D: The scene when he drolls on her breast is just. . funny to me, lol. And also she has a cute side too here and there. .

Not to mention, the other two girls (Charlotte and Sylvia) had their 'moe points' level increased in my minds lol. Charlotte is. . . well. . not your usual air head and actually likes to tease people a lot, lol. And Sylvia, while might not be having too much scene in this episode, is kinda cute when she screamed after she saw Charlotte and Teppei in the classroom xD; And now hoping for some epic duel in the next episode, and Syliva will remain as my favourite girl in this anime ;_;

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 08:40   Link #355
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot View Post
teppei reminds me of batman for some reason....
This matter of fact statement made lol. cookies added .
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 08:46   Link #356
Forever
Revealing the truth

Wow I really liked the second episode as well. The love comedy is working very well. This show might just be as good as shuffle itself.

And for the first time, I dont have a preferred girl either. All the girls look so good. LoL it is almost too cruel for Teppei to choose between them.

If I have to make a choice, then it would have to be charlotte at the moment.
Old 2009-07-14, 08:50   Link #357
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
I'm going to speculate here they would likely be familiar with a chinese jian, and thus piercing weapons would not be alien to them.
Hm, possibly, though jian would still have a very notable difference in length when compared to a rapier, with the later greatly out-reaching the former (potentially even two times), thus leaving room for underestimation in reach. (Nor does it have the potential cross-guard trap of a rapier ... i must admit to being no expert when it comes to said Chinese sword however). A piercing attack would not be all that alien indeed, as the katana itself can be (and has been) used for thrusts - just that rapier is a sword that is built for thrusting, and nothing but thrusting attacks - its reach (combined with lunge), center of balance and thus speed of said thrusts make it for an easy weapon to find at the bad end of your throat, and the above factors are somewhat easy to underestimate or miscalculate if one is unfamiliar with the general application of it.

Though obviously the anime is not about to look that deeply in to said matters, so for now i will be grateful about the fact they are not presenting the katana as a be-all end-all of swords, a truely annoying stereotype indeed

Last edited by Skyfall; 2009-07-14 at 09:04.
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 09:01   Link #358
Revan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
And for the first time, I dont have a preferred girl either. All the girls look so good. LoL it is almost too cruel for Teppei to choose between them.
Agreed

Teppei should just pick Nezu and be done with it
Old 2009-07-14, 09:04   Link #359
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
with the later greatly out-reaching the former (potentially even two times), thus leaving room for underestimation in reach.
Your original premise was simply familiarity. The point was a Jian is close to a rapier; probably more then any other western sword is closer to a katana.
Old 2009-07-14, 09:26   Link #360
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Your original premise was simply familiarity. The point was a Jian is close to a rapier; probably more then any other western sword is closer to a katana.
Not necessarily so, i don't see how it is any closer to rapier than a saber is to a katana. If we are talking about familiarity in terms of "a sword can be used to stab, not just cut" then it is obviously there - a katana is a perfectly viable tool for stabbing someone as well (Just that its main emphasis and design lies on cutting power). Reach "is" an important factor to consider specifically with a rapier though, especially if one has not faced against it before. The point is not "it can stab", it is " i got stabbed before i realized i was in range".

Granted, in terms of this anime it is a moot point anyway, because not like this show is going to play any actual homages to actual fencing styles, never mind how they would realistically work while facing each other, so heh

Tags
comedy, ecchi, eroge, romance, seinen