AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2010-12-20, 00:56   Link #3741
J the Drafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Which is why I put quotation marks around the word. A skimpy outfit and a skimpier outfit are both obvious (blatant) fanservice, but the difference is that one is more, I guess, aggressive than the other. "Blatant" still kinda conveys that meaning, albeit a little misleadingly, but in the end it's all semantics.

What I'm confused is that Game_2k4 argued that the fanservice in Haruhi is "blatant". He also argued that the fanserivce is unnecessary. Which is the problem? If it being too "blatant" is the problem, he should probably quit watching anime try to be a little more tolerant. If it being unnecessary is the problem, he should probably see it as not fanservice but just another testament to Haruhi's brattiness/whatever instead.
The fanservice isn't really treated like an example of Haruhi's sociopathy. Think, when was the last time a Superman franchise used Darkseid's cruelty as a vehicle for humor or titillation? If the costume-rape was intended to be an example of how Haruhi violates and humiliates other people so she can have fun, than the show would present those instances of cosrape as something invasive and humiliating. It's not necessary to have the forced cosplay as a fanservice. Personally, I'd argue the show suffers from it.
Superman: “You know what, Ein? Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us into something better. And on my soul, I swear — until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share — I'll never stop fighting. Ever.”

“Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom” and “Superman vs. the Elite”

(Mostly accurate dialogue, but with a little editing to make it mesh better.)
J the Drafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-20, 02:25   Link #3742
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J the Drafter View Post
The fanservice isn't really treated like an example of Haruhi's sociopathy. Think, when was the last time a Superman franchise used Darkseid's cruelty as a vehicle for humor or titillation? If the costume-rape was intended to be an example of how Haruhi violates and humiliates other people so she can have fun, than the show would present those instances of cosrape as something invasive and humiliating. It's not necessary to have the forced cosplay as a fanservice. Personally, I'd argue the show suffers from it.
Portraying it in a dark fashion would've been jarring though, considering that most of the series maintains a relatively upbeat/happy atmosphere. What happened in Sighs doesn't need to happen often. TBH, I don't really doubt that fanservice was part of the intention either, but again I don't see how that makes it any less valid for showing Haruhi's sociopathy (if it makes a viewer notice how cruel Haruhi is, then it already succeeded).

Nonetheless, if you simply don't like the fanservice, nothing I can argue against that.
Old 2010-12-20, 02:28   Link #3743
robertp555
on the brink of insanity

ok you people may like this manga but try having a 12 year old brother read it 24/7 and not shut up about is ever
Old 2010-12-20, 05:46   Link #3744
ijuinkun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Major Haruhi announcement in the 12/27 on sale issue of The Sneaker. (In this thread since The Sneaker is normally novel related.)
Hopefully it's either an announcement of the release date for novel 10, or an announcement that there will be more animation (either a third run of the series, or else a second run of Haruhi-chan/Churuya-san).
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-20, 11:07   Link #3745
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertp555 View Post
ok you people may like this manga but try having a 12 year old brother read it 24/7 and not shut up about is ever
What does that have to do with anything? 12-year-old little brothers go on and on about stuff all the time, good or bad. Inanity, thy name is 12-year-old... Just tell the little bugger he's ruining your enjoyment and to chill-out, and give him a good Gibbs Slap if he doesn't. That's your job as older sibling.
Old 2010-12-20, 12:17   Link #3746
J the Drafter

Quote:
Portraying it in a dark fashion would've been jarring though, considering that most of the series maintains a relatively upbeat/happy atmosphere. What happened in Sighs doesn't need to happen often. TBH, I don't really doubt that fanservice was part of the intention either, but again I don't see how that makes it any less valid for showing Haruhi's sociopathy (if it makes a viewer notice how cruel Haruhi is, then it already succeeded).

Nonetheless, if you simply don't like the fanservice, nothing I can argue against that.
The stripping and forced redressing is a dark concept anyway, and Tanigawa/Kyoto using it in a humorous, fanservicey, or matter-of-fact manner doesn't change that. Sigh. Nothing I can do about it. I guess the issue will have to be left to fanfiction.
Superman: “You know what, Ein? Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us into something better. And on my soul, I swear — until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share — I'll never stop fighting. Ever.”

“Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom” and “Superman vs. the Elite”

(Mostly accurate dialogue, but with a little editing to make it mesh better.)
J the Drafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-20, 14:14   Link #3747
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Alright, let me try to explain the whole "blatant vs. incidental fanservice" thing again. Consider adult Mikuru. Is she attractive? Without a doubt. Could that be considered fanservice? Sure, why not. But simply being attractive isn't really blatant. The blatant fanservice would be when she unbuttoned her top to show Kyon her mole (especially since it's visible in the movie without any additional effort).

Or, consider this. I've seen people here call it "fanservice" to show Yuki smiling in the movie. Why? Well, because it's what any Yuki fan would want to see. But that smile is simply incidental to the fact that she's expressing happiness. There's a massive difference between that and stuffing Mikuru into a bunny girl costume for the explicit purpose of attracting attention.

In short, if a character is acting naturally and it happens to be "fanservice," that's tolerable, and actually rather hard to argue against. (And don't tell me that Haruhi taking off her top in the middle of class was natural for her. You know what I mean.) However, if a situation is engineered to provoke a reaction, like the decidedly unorthodox camera angles in Code Geass that I mentioned before, that's blatant, and that bothers me.

Quote:
To be fair though, Gamer_2k4 did say he doesn't know exactly why he likes this thing, so I guess the only logical alternative is to talk about what he dislikes about it instead.
Eh, it's more like a personal backlash to how everyone is all too ready to praise something. It's a lot harder to find criticism (in a forum exclusively about the anime in question, anyway), and I like to think that's where I come in.

Last edited by Gamer_2k4; 2010-12-21 at 00:54.
Gamer_2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 13:32   Link #3748
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Just to let everyone know that I've deleted a number of posts that became a little too personal. If anyone has issues, please take it to PM since the "public" forums are not the place for it.

Thank you.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 19:06   Link #3749
B2-Lancer

Seasons Greetings!

Has anyone heard this rumble that Ryouko Asakura makes a "comeback" as a recurring character in a "Squid Girl" anime and manga -- including the knife thing?
B2-Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 21:40   Link #3750
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Major Haruhi announcement in the 12/27 on sale issue of The Sneaker. (In this thread since The Sneaker is normally novel related.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
I agree that it's probably novel-related as Kadokawa Publishing's president tweeted the announcement as well.

Edit: Don't bother asking Hirano about it. She doesn't know anything.
The issue has the release date of the tenth novel. Someone on 2ch posted the cover but not what date it is.

Edit: image deleted before I could re-host it. Image has been re-hosted.

2nd Edit: May 25th, 2011 is the new release date for TWO BOOKS!

3rd edit: removed false information.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2010-12-23 at 23:47.
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 23:31   Link #3751
narukamikun

HURRAY! Thanks for the photo!

Now to hope this date doesn't get pushed back again...
narukamikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 23:40   Link #3752
Team Rocket Elite

Finally. I'm been waiting for this for years. Are both books going to have the same title?
Old 2010-12-23, 23:55   Link #3753
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rocket Elite View Post
Finally. I'm been waiting for this for years. Are both books going to have the same title?
Probably. The scan says they're "Before" and "After".
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 00:06   Link #3754
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Woohoo! Should be a nice start to summer vacation. Well, I think finals wrap up a couple weeks earlier but yeah.

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Heminga13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 00:14   Link #3755
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
According to the article, the cover image that was created 3 years ago by Ito will still be used. 2ch research brought up this image (likely from a past issue of The Sneaker when the first release date in 2007 was valid:

It would fit the Haruhi/Mikuru/Yuki framework that was used for 1-3 and 6-8.

Edit: Not 100% sure, but it looks to be around 600 pages total between the two books.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 02:34   Link #3756
Isekaijin

If both are alternate universes, due to whatever happened in the 9th book, I still have hopes that in one of them Kyon will choose Nagato over Haruhi.

A man may dream.
Isekaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 03:21   Link #3757
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

2 book?

you mean each have separated timeline

or fisrt book have both timeline and second book combine both of them
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 03:37   Link #3758
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

...Two books? Two entire fucking books?

Oh dear. It looks like working on Kagerou Meikyuu might be getting to Tanigawa...
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 03:55   Link #3759
xBTAx

Huh... The ANN post on this says that it'll be released "worldwide", and running the source through Google Translate shows that it does say something about that...

Can anyone that can actually translate it see if it it's explained further? Considering book #5 won't even be out in English by then, it's a really odd thing to say...
xBTAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-24, 04:02   Link #3760
Clarste
Human

Well, worldwide doesn't mean English. It could mean Chinese, Korean and Russian, or really any combination that involves any country outside of Japan.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga