AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2020-05-22, 15:27   Link #1121
Ruki0089
Yandere Otoko Ruki-tan

That "Cloud, permission to kill" also very out of her characters.
This is why I hate dub.
Old 2020-05-22, 15:44   Link #1122
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

In the case of Aerith swearing when the ladder breaks, it's possible that the translator confused the term "uso" with "kuso", which is the Japanese equivalent to a couple of expletive words.
Old 2020-05-22, 16:19   Link #1123
Twi

I liked it. Reminds you she's from under the plate.
Old 2020-05-22, 16:30   Link #1124
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
In the case of Aerith swearing when the ladder breaks, it's possible that the translator confused the term "uso" with "kuso", which is the Japanese equivalent to a couple of expletive words.
That's impossible. They have the actual script, they aren't relying on voiced dialogues, moreso that translation must always be done way before recording.
Moreso that considering her characterization in English, they deliberately made Aerith more colorful accross the board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
I liked it. Reminds you she's from under the plate.
Not exactly.
Spoiler for Chapter 17:

Last edited by Klashikari; 2020-05-23 at 08:44.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-22, 18:45   Link #1125
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

While we're still on that subject, one of the options when describing Tifa to Chocobo Sam in English is "she's great at handling the books", while it is "she owns a bar" in French. Which one is correct? I'd say the latter since Sam immediately knows who Cloud is talking about, but maybe it was an attempt at humor since Aerith points out it doesn't help much.

Meanwhile, I've finished replaying the original and yeah, there's definitely a ton of stuff to cover before the end of disk one. If they don't go overboard like with Midgar and stick closer to the original, I think they can do it in one game though. They of course can't keep the towns at just 5 houses and an inn since you won't be able to enter houses (ah, the good old days of JRPGs where you could just loot houses right in front of residents), so they'll need to find that sweet spot.
Old 2020-05-22, 19:52   Link #1126
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The original choice in Japanese is 店を切り盛りしている, which basically means "She manages a shop". While it is vague, it is definitely alluding to 7th Heaven bar, whereas the English suggestion comes out of the left field.
By the way, for people who are puzzled by the "sporty" dress, the choice was actually "格闘家っぽい", which should have been "a dress for a martial artist". No idea if they tried to avoid any allusion to Capcom's Chun Li, but I'm not surprised people got quite confused by that wording too.
Old 2020-05-23, 06:43   Link #1127
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Thank you. Definitely a weird choice here.
Old 2020-05-23, 12:29   Link #1128
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
That's impossible. They have the actual script, they aren't relying on voiced dialogues, moreso that translation must always be done way before recording.
Moreso that considering her characterization in English, they deliberately made Aerith more colorful accross the board.
Not exactly.
Spoiler for Chapter 17:
Spoiler for don't know why this needs spoiler tags:

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."

Last edited by NAJ P. Jackson; 2020-05-23 at 12:39.
NAJ P. Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-23, 13:34   Link #1129
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
By the way, for people who are puzzled by the "sporty" dress, the choice was actually "格闘家っぽい", which should have been "a dress for a martial artist". No idea if they tried to avoid any allusion to Capcom's Chun Li, but I'm not surprised people got quite confused by that wording too.
I don't know how often the word is mentioned but from what I could see in pictures, the words come up in short multiple-choice boxes. And given that the first choice is
大人っぽいの > "Something mature", I would see it that the translator also tried to be consistent with the other two options, hence "something...sporty?" where the elliptic dots seem an interesting stilistic choice to add a (liberal) interpretation of hestitation for the っぽい in it . If it is used in a full text or as an item description, sure, "a dress for a martial artist" would have been fine, too.
Old 2020-05-23, 15:37   Link #1130
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Clearly the better translation would be:
> Something Western
> Something Chinese
> Something Japanese

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."
Old 2020-05-23, 16:51   Link #1131
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ P. Jackson View Post
The reason why I used spoiler tags is because that kind of information isn't known before that point which is pretty far and not exactly openly known for those who didn't play the OG. It isn't that kind of stuff known like "that infamous scene".

Either way, I stand my point that her backstory has nothing to do with that kind of language. As I stated before, slums people don't follow the trope that they are more rough or less civil compared to upper plate citizens. If anything, you don't transform a character as less than "proper" with some random curse words, however mild they are. It isn't the end of the world and it isn't exactly offensive by any means, but it really stands out as not exactly fitting her characterization, which follows the trend they did with stuff like "permission to kill" or "screw him". If you add every single tidbits like that, it really stack up and changes her characterization as a whole.

I'm not sure if it is ingrained in american culture, I believe that kind of addition is not staple. You can definitely give nuances and familiarity to a character without using "easy" narrative tools like that. It isn't like Aerith curses as often as Cloud or Barret (who are perfectly fine in that regard), but the problem is that they missed the mark because it doesn't really fit the general impression she gives in the original script. And no, I don't imply that weird "saint" image she got in some part of the compilation, but the original upbeat/teasing/sassy slightly older girl of the bunch. So no, I didn't expect a perfectly formal and polite speech for Aerith. Rather, I expected something rather simple and upbeat, somewhat familiar. But definitely nothing past that, and nothing close to the usual japanese girly trope either.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2020-05-23 at 18:30.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-23, 18:52   Link #1132
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I think the Remake really did justice to Aerith, in no small part thanks to Maaya Sakamoto's stellar performance. By far the best of the cast, no one else could have done better.
Old 2020-05-26, 01:26   Link #1133
cyberdemon

Quote:
Spoiler for don't know why this needs spoiler tags:
Even in the original, aerith was a A Tom boy despite seeming the More feminine type. Meanwhile tifa was more the feminine type despite seeming more the Tom boy type.
Old 2020-05-26, 02:48   Link #1134
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Since everyone's talking about Aerith, I'm putting it at a 50/50 chance that "that infamous scene" may get retconned for this remake.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-26, 09:43   Link #1135
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Since everyone's talking about Aerith, I'm putting it at a 50/50 chance that "that infamous scene" may get retconned for this remake.
Spoiler:

Old 2020-05-26, 12:43   Link #1136
Homura7

Since we're talking about mistranslations, there're two particularly gross ones in Cloud's resolution in Ch. 14.

Spoiler for spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Nah, I don't think so. Even with few info I can tell where this story is headed based on its theme (Reunion) alone. Even the credits song says so.

Spoiler for spoiler:

Last edited by Homura7; 2020-05-26 at 13:10.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-26, 13:18   Link #1137
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighto View Post
Since we're talking about mistranslations, there're two particularly gross ones in Cloud's resolution in Ch. 14.

Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Nah, I don't think so. Even with few info I can tell where this story is headed based on its theme (Reunion) alone. Even the credits song says so.

Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler:

Old 2020-05-26, 13:51   Link #1138
Homura7

Quote:
Spoiler:
People talk about future sight, but that doesn't explain

Spoiler for spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Yep. And Nojima also confirmed it: A song of a man who has lost something important/dear to him.

Spoiler for spoiler:
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-26, 14:16   Link #1139
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Spoiler:

Old 2020-05-27, 07:30   Link #1140
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
People talk about future sight, but that doesn't explain

Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler for Spoilers:

Tags
final fantasy, mako energy, rpg