AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-16, 22:45   Link #241
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo
I find it a little hard to shell out $404 + tax for 1 1080p episode of this great series.
$404 for one episode? You mean $4 plus tax maybe?

I'm actually tempted to rent the first episode. I'm certainly willing to support and pay for quality, but there's that part about me being in Canada. I have to confirm whether I'll be screwed over by the IP restrictions or not. Then again, maybe I'll wait. Even if I can rent this thing, that 24 hour limit after watching it the first time is just too much (or too little). At least give me three days or something, sheesh.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 23:01   Link #242
zalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by icealchemist View Post
There is amazing thing called money that lets you get your hands on a higher quality version.
Except I don't own a PS3 or PSP and don't plan on owning those anytime soon. That's a waste of money for me. Had they bothered to do a normal internet release I might have considered it worth it to shell out the $4. If they continue to impress me I will be willing to pay for the bluerays or dvds when those are released.
Old 2008-07-17, 02:23   Link #243
kujoe
from head to heel

Holy. Shit.

Dear god, this is just well made. Definitely Ghibliesque as MrProphet puts it, and not just in relation to the overall design, but it's also quite evident in the special attention given to the little details of movement here and there.

If the series stays like this for the rest of the season, then this is truly going to be something indeed. Long have I waited for a BONES anime to match RahXephon, and finally, I think this is the one for me. I haven't felt this good about an anime for a long time.

It's great that this available in the PSN, but does it have to be exclusive to it? Such a waste if not many aren't able to see this show. Screw digital distribution. It should be set free on good old tv, or blu-ray or dvd. If this series continues to deliver as this first episode does (I'm feeling a bit cautious), this will become a definite must buy when this finally gets released in dvd or blu-ray.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 03:58   Link #244
tigerwoods

Send a message via MSN to tigerwoods
I'm speechless.
The first episode was a pure 20 minutes orgasm.
Stop every series you're watching adn watch this instead or you won't be forgiven.

The aircrafts are clearly Ghibliesque, while the character design is mostly Eureka Seven-ish. It goes without saying that animation is awesome, just an example: the amount of details in Akiyuki's run scene. Background art is amazing too.
And what about the music? Michiru Oshima did a really good job with this, will it surpass FMA? The opening was just as good a really badass one, I think I outght to check out more of these Boom Boom Satellites; the ending was, instead, a calm one, not as good as the opening but still enjoyable.
The main character (Akiyuki) is charismatic, a trait I particularly like, and as MrProphet said he is not an emo guy, who continues to whine about his family situation; when he transformed he reminded me of the final transformation in Akira. I just love Akiyuki's friend (don't remember her name), who I find a thousand times better than Eureka, and the rasta-guy will probably be one of my favourites.

Bloody hell, I need MOARRRR.
Old 2008-07-17, 04:02   Link #245
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I've finally posted my thoughts on the first episode along with pics here if anyone cares. I don't update my LJ very often, so don't expect to find interesting stuff there. It's just an easy way to keep my friends informed of new stuff.

I managed to watch it about 5 times before the licensed expired. Oh well, I'm not even sure if I'll get to watch ep2 at this rate, but it's definitely pretty cool. I hope they finalize home video plans really soon, because I'll really like to own this on blu-ray.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 05:00   Link #246
terrus

Well what can i say, that was Fantastic, in terms of animation that was probably the best first episode i've ever seen. It really felt like i was watching a studio Ghibli film all the way through, the backgrounds, the music, the way the character's moved it was just amazing. This is probably the best thing that has come out of Bones in years, as much as i hate to admit it Bone's has suffered from a slump since after Eureka Seven (excluding Sword of the stranger). Granted Darker than black had great characters, but it ended with so many things still left unanswered and whilst The Skullman was also good too it just felt like it lacked something.

Michiru Oshima's soundtrack really blew me away as well, particulary at the start and end, whilst she has a lot of shows under her belt i've only watched Fullmetal alchemist and Chevalier le D'eon, both of which had great soundtracks so this is going to be a geat sounding, as well as looking anime.

And yes i also couldn't quite recognised Haru's voice at first as well
Spoiler for Major Code geass R2 spoilers:

Whilst this was much more laid back than i expected it looks like the next episode will have more than enough action to spare.

Just to Calrify as well, there will be another episode released next week yes? This is not a preview like Macross frontier is it? As i wouldn't think so because of there being a preview and the fact that this could of been aired in the spring season yes?

Still regardless this went beyond my expectations and if Bones can keep this up and if the chance ever comes along i'll certaintly be buying the dvd's.

Last edited by terrus; 2008-07-18 at 10:06.
terrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 05:55   Link #247
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
Except I don't own a PS3 or PSP and don't plan on owning those anytime soon. That's a waste of money for me. Had they bothered to do a normal internet release I might have considered it worth it to shell out the $4. If they continue to impress me I will be willing to pay for the bluerays or dvds when those are released.
I'd probably rent it if i was in the correct country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwoods View Post
I just love Akiyuki's friend (don't remember her name), who I find a thousand times better than Eureka, and the rasta-guy will probably be one of my favourites.
Haru does look to me favorite character material in this for me, though comparing her against Eureka? That's like one episode against 50! I don't think i could ever compare two characters straight away like that, and the fact that they are nothing alike.

& thanks a lot for the brilliant summary and screenshots duckroll.
Old 2008-07-17, 06:12   Link #248
tigerwoods

Send a message via MSN to tigerwoods
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Haru does look to me favorite character material in this for me, though comparing her against Eureka? That's like one episode against 50! I don't think i could ever compare two characters straight away like that, and the fact that they are nothing alike.
Yeah, I know what you mean, but I hate Eureka from the bottom of my heart.
You're right saying that they're not alike but it seems that Haru will be one of the main female lead of the series.
Old 2008-07-17, 06:18   Link #249
terrus

Good news the first blog review is up

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2008...t-memories-01/
Old 2008-07-17, 06:24   Link #250
Graus
grumpy guy in #mirrormoon

I couldn't find anyone mentioning this yet besides saying it's for US residents only.

You can registers PSN accounts to various countries, I'll just not go into details because Google can be your friend. I live in Europe and I rented the episode with no trouble at all and so far I like it a lot.

If you happen to be a fan of rpg's and such, do yourself a favor and dont look at the PSN Japan Store, it'll make you cry
Graus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 06:48   Link #251
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrus View Post
Good news the first blog review is up

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2008...t-memories-01/
Indeed, though shame the images aren't good enough quality for avatar material.
Old 2008-07-17, 08:14   Link #252
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
There is amazing thing called money that lets you get your hands on a higher quality version.
And there is this amazing world out there called "not-US". (Un?)fortunately enough, there's people in "not-US". And people in "not-US" has a very hard time legally getting something that's only sold in the US.

Also, PS3. Get me one and we'll talk about legal ownership.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 09:01   Link #253
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

No matter how good it looks it's not worth a price of $4 for a 24 hour rental. You don't own it. It goes "poof" after you start viewing it if you don't complete it within 24 hours after starting or if you're unlucky and start viewing on the last day and don't complete by the end of the 14 day rental period.

Sony needs to get a life. iTunes is $1.99 for download to own. And it's dubbed which is technically the more expensive version to air due to cost in making a dub.

Last edited by orion; 2008-07-17 at 09:15.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 09:12   Link #254
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Sony needs to get a life. iTunes is $1.99 for download to own. And it's dubbed which is technically the more expensive version to air due to cost in making a dub.
Well, the rest of anime on PSN Video Store is also $1.99 to own. Xam'd is different because it's an exclusive. That is the rationale for the cost.

Also, it's not more expensive to sell dubbed versions, since most of the anime on the Video Store is not new. Their development costs have already been covered by DVD sales.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 10:14   Link #255
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I just hope that we'll atleast get to see this on DVD and/or Blu-Ray. I'm willing to spend my cash on this, if the serie keeps this awesome quality as the first episode has shown.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 10:59   Link #256
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Here's something interesting: the poem that was narrated at the start is a real poem by the famous Japanese poet Noriko Ibaragi called Tamashii (soul). I wonder if it was just used as a thematic/narrative setting for the episode, or if it will play a more important part in the background story, like The Golden Bough in Eureka Seven. BONES usually puts a lot of attention to detail in background settings, so it's unlikely that it was just used "for fun".
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 11:02   Link #257
SinsI

Let's see - 4$ per 20 minutes episode is 24$ for 2 hours of entertainment, and you need your own expensive hardware plus pay for Internet connection. Compare it to 7$ for the same 2 hours of entertainment at your local cinema, with no extra costs.
That's way too much if you only watch it once.

As for the show itself - it reminds me of Cluster Edge a little, with better art and far more girls(in other words - made right),so it can turn out to be rather interesting.

Last edited by SinsI; 2008-07-17 at 11:21.
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 11:31   Link #258
terrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Here's something interesting: the poem that was narrated at the start is a real poem by the famous Japanese poet Noriko Ibaragi called Tamashii (soul). I wonder if it was just used as a thematic/narrative setting for the episode, or if it will play a more important part in the background story, like The Golden Bough in Eureka Seven. BONES usually puts a lot of attention to detail in background settings, so it's unlikely that it was just used "for fun".
Hm interesting! i wondered why Egypt was mentioned in the opening line despite this being set in a fictional world, but then again that wouldn't mean that there wasn't or isn't a place called Egypt in The world Xam'd is set in. looking at a quick analysis of The Golden Bough i can clearly see why they put it in E7, but what is Tadashi about?

Also i know Kimitoshi Yamane is the main mech designer for Xam'd and i can see why people are getting Bebop vibes from Xam'd thanks to this pic
Spoiler for Xam'd episode one:

Last edited by terrus; 2008-07-17 at 13:11.
Old 2008-07-17, 13:35   Link #259
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
I just hope that we'll atleast get to see this on DVD and/or Blu-Ray. I'm willing to spend my cash on this, if the serie keeps this awesome quality as the first episode has shown.
Indeed. I think now is the time for me to start saving money back just for this series. It's going to be money well spent, i know that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
The poem you mentioned was played at what looks like a very important part of the story, and i can see it having some significance to the beginning of the first episode (the white haired children).

Nice find though. No surprise that BONES would use a real poem like that. I'd love to hear the original version.
Old 2008-07-17, 14:16   Link #260
Slice of Life
eyewitness

After watching ep 1 I don't fully understand the hype. It's definitely pretty to look at and I understand the comparison with Ghibli in that regard. But lacking precognitive powers I can't say if this will also have substance. Something which I would downright deny in the case of some other Bones productions like Darker than Black for example. "Schoolboy from (Pseudo-)Japan suddenly gets superpowers" is not a kind of starting point that makes me put money on something "rich".

I will eat my words around half time or rub them into everybody's faces again near the end.

Tags
bones