AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2013-01-04, 19:18   Link #3081
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeyook View Post
For coolness' sake?
If you already know the reason, why do you ask?
Old 2013-01-04, 19:20   Link #3082
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The Dual Wield skill in SAO was basically meant to mark a specific player as the "hero" of Kayaba's world; he figured whoever had the reaction time to master Dual Wield would be the one who'd face him on the 100th floor. So it was there as a player designate and for, as you guessed, rule of cool.
Old 2013-01-04, 19:23   Link #3083
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
If he uses Dual Wielding... he'll be an instant celebrity in all of SAO and will likely gets Kayaba's interest and that's not good...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 20:06   Link #3084
Oroboro
Endless Sorceror

Dual wielding in SAO was good because it was heavily effected by the system, gave increased attack speed, weapon defense, and allowed some pretty ridiculous sword skills, like the 27 hit combo Eclipse.

Spoiler for Dual Wielding Parameters:

Dual wielding in ALO and anywhere else is the same as Dual Wielding in real life. That is to say, incredibly difficult to accomplish for relatively little gain. The biggest advantage it gives is honestly surprise, in catching people off guard who don't know how to defend against that particular combat style.

Spoiler for Dual Wielding in Real Life:

As for giving up his stats and starting over, well. I figure that after escaping the death game and rescuing Asuna, he wanted to rest, to stop being a cheater and just enjoy himself while playing a game.
Oroboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 20:17   Link #3085
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

It's not like he could get much stronger in ALO anyway. Most of his applicable skills were closed to max, if not already maxed, due to Sword Art Online. They both have a cap of 1000.
Old 2013-01-04, 20:31   Link #3086
Tenoia
Leaps and Bounds Away

Quote:

Spoiler for Kirito's handicap:
Regarding his use of dual-wielding after the SAO incident ended, it wasn't a matter of comfortableness or lack thereof, but rather it was about his guilt derived from arrogance. He realized that he was appalled at his arrogance and bloated ego that stemmed from the whole set-up that Kayaba did (give the person with the fastest reaction time in SAO the dual-wield skill, mark this person as the "hero" in the process of doing so, and give this person the chance to fully be a hero by defeating the "demon king"). That certain page-and-a-half from Caliber SS explains it more fully, but he had thought that such a set-up should play out fully (as in, not ending prematurely at the 75th floor) and at the same time, Kirito hated himself for thinking that. Thus, he chose not to dual-wield unless he was absolutely forced to in a situation against an opposing enemy or unless he wanted to help a friend.

By the way, it's heartening to see another Ragsmuena fan.
Tenoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 20:34   Link #3087
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

I guess Dual weilding make user very tired consider he need to use two have sword at same times.

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 21:19   Link #3088
XFire
150% done

Dual-weilding in SAO did give a stat boost, but there are a few other factors. One, he'd get the added attributes of two weapons instead of one. Two (SAO only) he had those ridiculously long and powerful combos (16 and 27 strike). Three (ALO and maybe UW) he can use two swords to chain seperate single blade Skills.
Old 2013-01-04, 21:37   Link #3089
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
This is just my opinion.

Spoiler for Kirito's handicap:

What's the purpose of dual-wielding skill anyway? For coolness' sake?
What are you on about, Kirito doesn't start from Lvl1 every time...
Spoiler for New games:

No offence to you, but I find your opinion being based upon not taking many of the details in the SAO series into account.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 22:01   Link #3090
ademolix

Hi I'm new to this thread but can anyone tell me where to find the Chinese translations?
ademolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 04:48   Link #3091
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

Spoiler for Kirito:

My bad. :P

Overall, I'm kinda disappointed that Kirito isn't all hyper-competent as everyone seems to complain (I want overpowered MC). He even lost to Yuuki. He always comments about Asuna's talent (when he easily defeat her) which annoys me a lot, also Eugeo's talent as well as Alice. Isn't he supposed to be the strongest? And I can't really see the benefit of having more number in consecutive attacks in real life. The whole sword skills are truly dependent on system assist.
Kleeyook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 11:07   Link #3092
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Spoiler for Kirito:

My bad. :P

Overall, I'm kinda disappointed that Kirito isn't all hyper-competent as everyone seems to complain (I want overpowered MC). He even lost to Yuuki. He always comments about Asuna's talent (when he easily defeat her) which annoys me a lot, also Eugeo's talent as well as Alice. Isn't he supposed to be the strongest? And I can't really see the benefit of having more number in consecutive attacks in real life. The whole sword skills are truly dependent on system assist.
He did delete his stuff after beating Sugou, because "that Kirito had finished his role."

He does the magic cutting thing independent of having two swords. Considering Dual-Wield is no longer a skill, it's probably just his personal trade-mark.

He lost to Yuuki because she was in Full-Dive for years longer, she was using a Nerv Gear instead of an Amu Sphere, Kirito didn't use twin blades or even Excalibur, and most importantly he fought as "Kirito the gamer" not "Kirito the Black Swordsman". If Yuuki had somehow endangered Asuna's life, Kirito would have beaten her. Or found her in real life and killed her.

About the hyper-competent thing, it seems like the author scaled him back. SAO was only meant to be a stand-alone, so there wasn't a need for in-depth development. Once it expanded, he had to make Kirito "weaker" so the other characters could help him. For example, in SAO he regretted killing Cradil and the Laughing Coffin members, but realized it was necessary. In GGO, the author ret-conned it into a full-blown trauma.
Old 2013-01-05, 12:50   Link #3093
Shinon

There is an update at Tap's blog for volume 11 i just want to cry after reading this but i think what they did was brave and cool
Old 2013-01-05, 13:28   Link #3094
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Damn. Chapter 5 is turning out to be incredible, the fact that Eugeo lost his eye because he went against the taboo index is a pretty unsettling though. I wonder what'll happen to them after an incident like this though. It's really sad to see them lose their (in game anyway) futures. Many thanks to Tap for the translations.

Last edited by Libros; 2013-01-05 at 15:02.
Libros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 19:30   Link #3095
Flere821
Lurker

Spoiler for WEB 8 Pt26 (1st half) summary:
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 21:13   Link #3096
reccaryu

Thanks for the Summary Flere
reccaryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 22:45   Link #3097
Divini
Senpai!

Thanks for the summaries!
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 22:49   Link #3098
Ghanw
(-_-)

Thank you very much for the summaries!!!
Ghanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 01:42   Link #3099
pyuk.pyuk
ba-ka!

thanks for the summary Flere.. can't wait to see asuna in UW soon.. ^^,
«the world's unreasonable and unjust wherever you go, otherwise social stratification would not exist in the first place.. so why should i bother playing a SAINT if the world's very setup is already SHIT?, I live by my own rules!!» ~~mirai samejima
pyuk.pyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 03:07   Link #3100
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
Spoiler for WEB 8 Pt26 (1st half) summary:
Spoiler:

Thanks for the summary.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2013-01-06 at 15:10.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality