AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2003-12-11, 22:39   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Questions about the JLPT

Happened to be browsing around the "Kanji a day" site and noticed something about the JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) on there. Apparently it's only held once a year and is required for foreigners in order to get a job.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's some info.

Has anyone ever taken this test? Is there any practice tests online for this? How important is this test if you're just visiting Japan? Or is this one of those things needed for getting a job in Japan? Would it be something that would be a good measuring post to see how good your Japanese language skills are?

Just curious, cause if it's something I do eventually have to take if I want to go to Japan, I'd be interested in knowing more. Or if it's not something I need to take, then would there be some kind of measuring post for my progress in learning Japanese? A test somewhere maybe? online possibly?

Aregato. ^_^
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 00:16   Link #2
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Happened to be browsing around the "Kanji a day" site and noticed something about the JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) on there. Apparently it's only held once a year and is required for foreigners in order to get a job.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's some info.

Has anyone ever taken this test? Is there any practice tests online for this? How important is this test if you're just visiting Japan? Or is this one of those things needed for getting a job in Japan? Would it be something that would be a good measuring post to see how good your Japanese language skills are?

Just curious, cause if it's something I do eventually have to take if I want to go to Japan, I'd be interested in knowing more. Or if it's not something I need to take, then would there be some kind of measuring post for my progress in learning Japanese? A test somewhere maybe? online possibly?

Aregato. ^_^
My friends have taken it. It's divided into four levels, one through four. The level one exam is the hardest and level four the easiest. You have to get around 60% of level 2-4 exams to pass and 70% of level 1 if I remember correctly. The exams are mostly multiple choice I believe, with reading and listening. The test really doesn't matter much if you're just visiting Japan, but it should give you a good sense of how good your level of Japanese is. However, since it doesn't have any speaking components, you won't be able to gauge how well you speak. And yeah, the official practice materials for the JLPT are EXPENSIVE!!
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 00:19   Link #3
raikage
日本語を食べません!

It's nothing big, it just shows you where you're at as far as your Japanese ability goes. If you plan on putting a knowledge of Japanese on your resume or job application, this official test helps confirm your bad-assness in Japanese.

If you're just visiting Japan, you don't need to take the test. I'd encourage you to learn SOME Japanese first; though you don't really need to be at a specific level in order to be let into the country.

Haven't taken it yet myself, don't know if I'm going to, but according to my teachers everyone in my class should be somewhere between level 3 and 2 (closer to 2) depending on how many times you've taken the Kan'ji class.

I still recommend http://www.toriyamaworld.com's forum for learning Japanese; they've got some pretty knowledgeable & patient people on that board.

EDIT: Psst...You misspelled 'arigatou'
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 00:31   Link #4
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Bah. Rats. That's how I spelled it the first time, but something told me to spell it the other way. Nuts! Let's try this again.

Arigatou. Ah, better.

Oh, and thanks for the link. By the way, you guys know any good practice exams to help guage your current skill levels with Japenese? Aside from grabbing some Ojisan and testing yourself against them?
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote