AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-10-14, 11:09   Link #81
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Just found this really useful tool yesterday -- Unlocker. Don't you hate it when you can't delete or move a file or folder because Windows tells you it is used by "some" application or whatever? Well, this tool solves that. It unlocks the file handles and voila: you can delete what you wanted to delete (or move).

As for PHP editors, I'm trying to migrate to Komodo Edit. It's been hard for me to find a replacement for HomeSite, which I've used for years to edit PHP files with. But as even the latest version of HomeSite is now 4 years old (and I was using an even older version) it's time to move on to something better. Komodo Edit seems to be the best among the many alternative PHP editors I've tried. If you also install PHP on your system it can do automatic syntax checking, which is VERY nice. That should save me a lot of time when making slight mistakes such as leaving out a semicolon. Also, Komodo Edit can't just edit PHP, it's a generic editor for about any web-related programming language (PHP, Perl, Ruby, Javascript, HTML, XML, etc).

PS. both apps are free.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 12:48   Link #82
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
Komodo Edit is great. I've been switching editors for years and Komodo is the first that really pleases me. It's not an overblown IDE but does provide code intelligence (if you create a project, Komodo scans all your files and provides auto-completion for all classes and functions) and live syntax checking.
It's a good mix between a powerful editor and some IDE-like features without becoming too burdened. Komodo supports many languages and runs on Windows, Linux and OSX (using XUL for it's interface) so I can use a single editor for different languages and on different systems.

Oh, and best of all, it's free. ^^
Old 2007-10-15, 08:20   Link #83
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Lists updated.

Main
  • IRC: mIRC (mention for several free ones)
  • PDFCreator
  • InfraRecorder
  • Rainlendar 2 & Rainmeter
  • Auslogics DiskDefrag
  • HDTune
  • DriveImage XML
  • Unlocker
  • Komodo Edit
  • Notepad++
  • NetBeans (Eclipse mentioned)

Security:
  • Commodo Firewall
  • Commodo Antivirus
  • Darik's Boot and Nuke

Still need to do some integrety checks on the links and names,
... unfortunatly I don't have the time ATM.
Old 2007-10-16, 05:10   Link #84
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Well I was able to and >>this<< is the link you need to get rainmeter the link you've put up only goes to rainlendar 2 also the current version of AVG free (I have already mentioned this) is 7.5 since 7.1 was taken out of service a while ago (it didn't go pay for only like one person mentioned and it seemed my post on the subject was ignored)
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 11:00   Link #85
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

All Fixed.
Old 2007-10-27, 02:45   Link #86
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Just as a follow-up, I discovered the application that I had inquired about. It is Shiira, a web browser for Mac OS X, based on Web Kit and developed in Japan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Just curious if anyone can identify a program by its icon for me:

The one I'm interested in is that one with the fish, the second icon to the left of the Firefox one. It's a pretty snazzy icon when contrasted with Firefox, so I was wondering if it was some sort of offshoot of the Firefox project or something. Initial Googling didn't really come up with much.

Last edited by Ledgem; 2007-10-27 at 15:44. Reason: Including the graphic as a refresher.
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-29, 21:39   Link #87
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I have some Korean DVDs that I'd like to convert so that I can watch them from my computer, without lugging the DVDs around. I've been using HandBrake to convert the files to MP4 (or MKV, but Mac OS seems to like MP4 better in general), but HandBrake can only choose a subtitle track to hardsub - it can't do softsubs.

So here's the question. What program, or programs, can I use to get softsubs? If I can rip the subtitles to .srt or .ass then I know how to integrate them into the video, if the video is in MKV or OGM format. I'd imagine there's an all-in-one out there, somehere. Mac OS software is preferred, but I have Windows and Linux on here as well, and can make use of software for either of those. Thanks!

P.S. To the moderators: I know that DVD ripping is occasionally a touchy subject. While I consider this request to follow "fair use" if it makes you uncomfortable, there will be no hard feelings if you want to delete it.
Old 2007-10-30, 14:47   Link #88
Rasqual Twilight
~Walking on the Milkyway~

I never got to use it extensively, but Cobian Backup seems to be a useful and free tool to perform file backups and send them to a remote machine.
Rasqual Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 18:08   Link #89
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Quote:
I have some Korean DVDs that I'd like to convert so that I can watch them from my computer, without lugging the DVDs around. I've been using HandBrake to convert the files to MP4 (or MKV, but Mac OS seems to like MP4 better in general), but HandBrake can only choose a subtitle track to hardsub - it can't do softsubs.

So here's the question. What program, or programs, can I use to get softsubs? If I can rip the subtitles to .srt or .ass then I know how to integrate them into the video, if the video is in MKV or OGM format. I'd imagine there's an all-in-one out there, somehere. Mac OS software is preferred, but I have Windows and Linux on here as well, and can make use of software for either of those. Thanks!

P.S. To the moderators: I know that DVD ripping is occasionally a touchy subject. While I consider this request to follow "fair use" if it makes you uncomfortable, there will be no hard feelings if you want to delete it.

I'm a little confused by what you're trying to do. Are you trying to rip the subs from the vob files on the DVD or are you trying to rip subs from a hardsubbed file? Or something else? If it's one of the first two try subrip (open source) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SubRip maybe? I've used it to fix hardsubbed files (I'm red/green colourblind, I usually edit a d/l subs I have that have green subtitles using this). It outputs to srt by default
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2007-10-30 at 18:17. Reason: EDIT: SORRY FORGOT TO ADD THIS WAS FOR XP
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 18:21   Link #90
guess

Do you guys know some software like VirtualDubMod but with later version and being updated lately? I used to use Virtualdub or VirtualDubMod but it doesn't work with Vista. At least, I can't get them to work. Besides, Virtualdub and VirtualDubMod really are old and out-of-dated now. Just take a look at their encoder.

I would like to be able to convert between those video formats (avi, mkv, mp4, mpg, etc). I also do video edit. That includes, cutting clips, pasting segments, adding subtitles etc. Adobe premiere doesn't suit me because it can't convert between those formats and doesn't support mkv.

I would like to have it for free, share ware, free trial or something like that. I just don't want to buy it right away and find out that I don't like it.

Thanks.
Old 2007-11-05, 18:24   Link #91
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Do you guys know some software like VirtualDubMod but with later version and being updated lately? I used to use Virtualdub or VirtualDubMod but it doesn't work with Vista. At least, I can't get them to work. Besides, Virtualdub and VirtualDubMod really are old and out-of-dated now. Just take a look at their encoder.

I would like to be able to convert between those video formats (avi, mkv, mp4, mpg, etc). I also do video edit. That includes, cutting clips, pasting segments, adding subtitles etc. Adobe premiere doesn't suit me because it can't convert between those formats and doesn't support mkv.

I would like to have it for free, share ware, free trial or something like that. I just don't want to buy it right away and find out that I don't like it.

Thanks.
It's not really an equivalent by a long shot, but it can convert between formats for you and it does support MKV. If you can use it along with Adobe Premiere you should be set: MPEG Streamclip (for both Mac and Windows)
Old 2007-11-05, 18:41   Link #92
guess

Quote:
It's not really an equivalent by a long shot, but it can convert between formats for you and it does support MKV. If you can use it along with Adobe Premiere you should be set: MPEG Streamclip (for both Mac and Windows)
I just tried it out and nope, it doesn't support mkv. :\
Old 2007-12-09, 02:42   Link #93
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

There are some games that change my screen resolution, but then they fail to restore it when they are done. It's annoying having to resize my screen after playing a game. It's also annoying having to reorganize my desktop icons because the screen was made smaller.

Is there any program that will deal with this problem by automatically restoring my screen when another application finishes with it?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-09, 03:21   Link #94
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I believe you should have a little tool with your Video Drivers, or on the site of the manufacturer. It's generally for controlling all sort of things like color/contrast which way the screen is facing etc. Among those things, if I remember correctly, there were resolution controls and you could set special ones for certain programs. Some games like Starcraft require this little feature on certain LCD monitors.

Sorry, I could be remembering some other do-thingy and confusing it...
Old 2007-12-09, 13:19   Link #95
Dontais

I'm looking for a decent burning program to burn all the animes I have off my hdd and something to burn mp3 disk aswell. I used nero for the longest time. Anyone have some suggestions?

Edit

Tried the program in other for burning and it works perfect sorry didn't see that there :P

Last edited by Dontais; 2007-12-09 at 14:15.
Dontais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-01, 22:31   Link #96
guess

Anyone knows some software for encoding? Virtualdub and, of course, virtualmoddub, don't work with Vista. I just want to hard sub the ass file I have with the video file.
Old 2008-01-10, 15:25   Link #97
Jub3i
Golden Shinobi Member

Could someone recommend one of the better free FTP clients?

I skimmed through the thread and didn't see anything listed. Thanks ^_^
Jub3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 08:58   Link #98
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Total Commander works...
Old 2008-01-11, 16:04   Link #99
arcadeplayer987

http://www.smartftp.com/
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 17:17   Link #100
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

He asked for free. SmartFTP is only free for 30 days.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
software