AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-02-12, 18:55   Link #1
lilguy
Certified Thread Killer

Spore

Release date has finally been announced for September 7,2008! Can't wait for it to come out.

For those who have no clue (Certain fanboys *cough cough*), Spore is the new game from Will Wright in which you create a species and help it survive and evolve, similar to The Sims series, but on a much more epic level in which you create the species, lead it through civilizations and war, and finally take over a solar system/galaxy.

And the engine for the game is pretty cool too.

Spore Press Release
Spore Teaser Trailer (GT)
lilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-13, 21:01   Link #2
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Ah-! Ever since I saw the trailer last year, I've been really anticipating this. It looks very promising.

Thanks for posting the release date... It probably would've come by and gone without me ever knowing.
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-13, 22:18   Link #3
DetectiveA

Send a message via MSN to DetectiveA
I was expecting for the trailer to show some game play or some screenshots at least, but when they only announce the name like ok uhh..
But I will say the the clip on the website has some good sound lol catchy
DetectiveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 20:21   Link #4
lilguy
Certified Thread Killer

Right, one more thing, they're releasing the creature editor for free before the actual game comes out.
Old 2008-02-15, 09:03   Link #5
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

sweet hmm wat to mke the question is will it be enought o dominate the universe
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 21:19   Link #6
Ledgem
Love Yourself

This thread should be merged with this one.

I liked the idea of Spore when I first heard of it. It sounded like Black & White, only there were more scenarios to control over. I felt a bit disappointed by a video showing it, but I'm not too sure why.

Anyway, the good news (which I'm sure only a small group of us care about) is that it'll be released for Mac OS X as well. Better yet, the Mac OS X release is due to occur on the same day that the Windows version will be released! Should be fun.
Old 2008-04-27, 09:09   Link #7
lilguy
Certified Thread Killer

Well, if we hadn't seen Spore in a video in the first place, you could've let your imagination run wild. Sometimes things seem better if you think about it, rather than seeing it in person.

And about Spore, the creature editor is gonna be released with the SimCity package this summer I believe.
Old 2008-05-06, 18:52   Link #8
lilguy
Certified Thread Killer

Spore to Require Periodic Validation

Well, at least they're doing something about anti-piracy.
Old 2008-05-06, 19:07   Link #9
Ledgem
Love Yourself

That is a terrible idea, arguably one of the worst anti-piracy measures I've ever heard of. Aside from the ever-present fear that their servers will go offline and render this game completely useless within a few years, I can envision a few scenarios where you'd be offline for 10+ days but would want to play.

My guess is that this'll cause enough of an outcry that they'll either remove it, or lengthen it to a monthly (or more) verification check. 10 days is ridiculous.

Edit: I note that they say "the PC version" - isn't this game only coming out for Mac and Windows? If so, I wonder if that only applies to the Windows version of the game... lucky me, I was planning to get the OSX version (if they aren't doing like Blizzard and putting the OSX and Windows versions on the same disc).
Old 2008-05-06, 19:14   Link #10
GyroidFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Edit: I note that they say "the PC version" - isn't this game only coming out for Mac and Windows? If so, I wonder if that only applies to the Windows version of the game... lucky me, I was planning to get the OSX version (if they aren't doing like Blizzard and putting the OSX and Windows versions on the same disc).
No, it's coming out on pretty much everything, including the iPhone.
GyroidFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-06, 19:42   Link #11
lilguy
Certified Thread Killer

First thing's first, Spore REQUIRES at least one connection in order to populate your universe of planets with creatures and worlds that other people online have created.

Well now, there are (obviously) pros and cons to the argument of whether this validation is good or bad but, the most appealing thing is that there is validation for anti-piracy measures. However, the most unappealing thing about this new feature is the: a) the time alloted and b) the fact that you need to connect to the internet in order to validate the game, as there are those people who have flaky internet connections. But, EA is not liable for one having crappy internet or the such, but are surely responsible if their server goes down (which will probably uncommonly happen as they have many, many, MANY servers up to go anyway; in which case there is no national/international blackout).

Well, all of that is for the PC. As for console, handheld, and err, iPhone, a game and the hardware itself can form a bond when used on the internet.
Old 2008-05-07, 04:55   Link #12
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
That is a terrible idea, arguably one of the worst anti-piracy measures I've ever heard of. Aside from the ever-present fear that their servers will go offline and render this game completely useless within a few years, I can envision a few scenarios where you'd be offline for 10+ days but would want to play.

My guess is that this'll cause enough of an outcry that they'll either remove it, or lengthen it to a monthly (or more) verification check. 10 days is ridiculous.

Well, they are doing it with the PC game Mass Effect, too, so...

But yea, it's a terrible anti-piracy idea. Why are there so many dumb*ss in the corporate world?

I knew this game were to be released on the Wii as well but didn't know on what other platforms it would be on. Without doubt, the PC/Mac versions should be the best to go, though.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-07, 12:19   Link #13
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I wouldn't call it dumb, just... short-sighted, and perhaps disrespectful to the customer. I'm not familiar with Mass Effect, although I'd read that it was going to have this, too. In the case of Spore, it sounds like a lot of the game will rely on an internet connection. That is, the other creatures and races that you go up against will be races created by other "real" people. Your own race will also be uploaded to the Spore servers, and other people will get to face off against it in their own games. Very neat idea, unless you get skeptical and wonder if the developers became lazy about creativity and figured they'd let the users do that work for them.

I don't think it's a requirement that Spore players be online, but they'll certainly want to be online. Combine that with the fact that most of us are online or have an active internet connection a good majority of the time, and it seems to make sense. It's one of the more aggressive anti-piracy measures, and there should be barely any collateral damage.

The fear that I heard raised was this: what happens if I don't play the game for 10 days, then my internet goes out, and I want to play? That's a very realistic scenario. Will the game note that it's been 10+ days since it last authenticated and not let you play?

At this point I've been on both ends of the consumer spectrum - pirate and legit buyer. As a pirate, this sort of stuff doesn't bother you in the slightest. If the game works for 10 days and then stops, you got 10 days' worth of fun (which is already a fairly long period of time if you game obsessively). If the game barely works, then that's to be expected. If the game doesn't work, then oh well - there's always something else to do, perhaps another game to play. But if I'm going to pay $40-60, I want to be able to play whenever and wherever I feel like it, and I expect everything to be nearly perfect (I'm merciful about that - we should all expect perfection, really). "Whenever and wherever" includes five or ten years from now, when most people will probably have forgotten about the game and EA will be looking at that authentication server as a wasteful expense to keep running.

Maybe we could compromise. Keep this sort of nonsense into the game, but have the developers agree to release a patch to remove it in six months, maybe even a year. I'm sure it'll be cracked before then anyway, but that way they can feel like piracy isn't eating into their sales, and after they're happy with the initial sales surge we can all feel good about our purchase.
Old 2008-05-07, 16:41   Link #14
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
I wouldn't call it dumb, just... short-sighted, and perhaps disrespectful to the customer. I'm not familiar with Mass Effect, although I'd read that it was going to have this, too. In the case of Spore, it sounds like a lot of the game will rely on an internet connection. That is, the other creatures and races that you go up against will be races created by other "real" people. Your own race will also be uploaded to the Spore servers, and other people will get to face off against it in their own games. Very neat idea, unless you get skeptical and wonder if the developers became lazy about creativity and figured they'd let the users do that work for them.

I don't think it's a requirement that Spore players be online, but they'll certainly want to be online. Combine that with the fact that most of us are online or have an active internet connection a good majority of the time, and it seems to make sense. It's one of the more aggressive anti-piracy measures, and there should be barely any collateral damage.

The fear that I heard raised was this: what happens if I don't play the game for 10 days, then my internet goes out, and I want to play? That's a very realistic scenario. Will the game note that it's been 10+ days since it last authenticated and not let you play?

At this point I've been on both ends of the consumer spectrum - pirate and legit buyer. As a pirate, this sort of stuff doesn't bother you in the slightest. If the game works for 10 days and then stops, you got 10 days' worth of fun (which is already a fairly long period of time if you game obsessively). If the game barely works, then that's to be expected. If the game doesn't work, then oh well - there's always something else to do, perhaps another game to play. But if I'm going to pay $40-60, I want to be able to play whenever and wherever I feel like it, and I expect everything to be nearly perfect (I'm merciful about that - we should all expect perfection, really). "Whenever and wherever" includes five or ten years from now, when most people will probably have forgotten about the game and EA will be looking at that authentication server as a wasteful expense to keep running.

Maybe we could compromise. Keep this sort of nonsense into the game, but have the developers agree to release a patch to remove it in six months, maybe even a year. I'm sure it'll be cracked before then anyway, but that way they can feel like piracy isn't eating into their sales, and after they're happy with the initial sales surge we can all feel good about our purchase.
Well, I'm pretty sure many people are going to be upset about this (not to the point of not buying the game, but still upset), so the reason why I call them dumb is because: 1) to vent my frustration, 2) as you said, the anti-privacy solution they have is rather short-sighted. Companies are there to make money, but doing something to add to the pain to consumers isn't exactly the best way to do something. To be honest, this idea feels like something I would have been able to quickly drawn out of my head, so it makes me wonder how much thoughts they have given into it. I guess I'm going to stop my complaint here, though, since I don't know how much pain it's going to give and there aren't that many details so far.

Yea, I also like the idea of the game, but I will refrain from buying this game until I hear good words about it. I'm cheap so that's what I always do.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2008-05-07, 18:21   Link #15
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
Yea, I also like the idea of the game, but I will refrain from buying this game until I hear good words about it. I'm cheap so that's what I always do.
That's not cheap, that's intelligence. I should do the same, except that I haven't played games in years and I'll soon have a lot of free time. By the time Spore comes out I may be too busy for it.
Old 2008-05-08, 06:30   Link #16
Clarste
Human

Spore seems like one of those games that's great in concept but a chore to play. Frankly, as much as people love touting how "free" their gameplay is and brag about the endless sandbox of procedurally generated content, if they don't bother to make it fun then it fails as a game. And it certainly becomes harder to make a game fun when so much of it is generated by the player. Note to developers: I am a horrible game designer.

That said, I'll give it a chance. Expecting something to flop and it being a pleasant surprise is quite a lot better than the other way around.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 19:25   Link #17
Southern Cross
Crux

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilguy View Post
First thing's first, Spore REQUIRES at least one connection in order to populate your universe of planets with creatures and worlds that other people online have created.
So you should be able to play single-player on your own terms with your own creatures, planets, and everything. This is the "massively single-player" core of it.

On the other hand, those that make it online will be able to share data with an entire network of other players' planets and creatures, to be updated regularly. Apparently there is no true interaction with other players, although it is possible to blow other players' planets up and for other players to blow your planets up without one actually affecting the other's gameplay. Instead, it just ends up being a statistic online.

What I don't get is: what happens to the other player's data on your game after you blow them up? I mean, you blew up their planet and all, but the other player's is still playing his own copy and then he'd probably continue advancing the creatures of his planet. So the updated information ends eventually gets received by the player who blew up that same planet previously. What happens then?

On Spore itself, it sounds fun, but I think it's a little too much for a busybody like me. I get too addicted with other similar games, anyway, so I probably will end up holding myself back from Spore. Especially with The Sims 3 coming out next year from what I've been reading.
Southern Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 20:38   Link #18
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Fight for your freedom, people. Don't buy Spore or Mass Effect. It's an affront to your rights as a paying customer.

PD: According to some comments on Slashdot, Bioware isn't too happy with EA's decision on this.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 21:28   Link #19
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Fight for your freedom, people. Don't buy Spore or Mass Effect. It's an affront to your rights as a paying customer.

PD: According to some comments on Slashdot, Bioware isn't too happy with EA's decision on this.
We were probably looking over the same Slashdot comments, but many people raised the point that there is really no way to "vote with your wallet" on this one. If you buy the game then the company will say that the sales were great, partially because the game was great and DRM didn't bother anyone (maybe DRM even salvaged sales that would have been lost to piracy). If you don't buy the game then the company will either say that the game was bad, or they'll say that the DRM wasn't strong enough and that sales weren't as high as expected because of piracy. Piracy is such a convenient excuse, isn't it?

One of the best solutions may be to buy the game, and then flood EA with complaints. One of the moderators on the Mass Effect forum responded to someone stating that there'd probably be trouble if you didn't play for 11 days, and then wanted to play when your internet was down. The moderator replied that you should certainly tell EA that you've discovered a problem with the method, at that point. While the executives could interpet a lack of sales in any way they want, repeat complaints from legit customers can only be interpreted in one way. If the company continues with these schemes, despite knowing that people tried the DRM'd game and didn't take it well, then boycotting the game and sending letters expressing discontent over the DRM would be warranted. I don't know that we're ready to jump to the boycotting stage just yet, but it's always an option.
Old 2008-05-09, 00:51   Link #20
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
We were probably looking over the same Slashdot comments, but many people raised the point that there is really no way to "vote with your wallet" on this one. If you buy the game then the company will say that the sales were great, partially because the game was great and DRM didn't bother anyone (maybe DRM even salvaged sales that would have been lost to piracy). If you don't buy the game then the company will either say that the game was bad, or they'll say that the DRM wasn't strong enough and that sales weren't as high as expected because of piracy. Piracy is such a convenient excuse, isn't it?

One of the best solutions may be to buy the game, and then flood EA with complaints. One of the moderators on the Mass Effect forum responded to someone stating that there'd probably be trouble if you didn't play for 11 days, and then wanted to play when your internet was down. The moderator replied that you should certainly tell EA that you've discovered a problem with the method, at that point. While the executives could interpet a lack of sales in any way they want, repeat complaints from legit customers can only be interpreted in one way. If the company continues with these schemes, despite knowing that people tried the DRM'd game and didn't take it well, then boycotting the game and sending letters expressing discontent over the DRM would be warranted. I don't know that we're ready to jump to the boycotting stage just yet, but it's always an option.
Well, even if it's made clear that the restriction is the reason why people boycott the product, they could just decide to annoy people by statements such as "higher piracy rate means less revenue and profit generated; the revenue is directed/directing toward setting up the server, developing and publishing the game, to ensure higher quality" blah blah blah. Anyway, what I mean is something along the line of excuse. Furthermore, in addition to blaming lower sale (if it occurs) to piracy, they probably would just group the boycotters as those who would pirate the game anyway.

Complaint is probably a good solution, but I honestly only see EA going for minimal or moderate efforts... as in, only change something because it's inevitable, and that it will be very obviously harmful otherwise.

And yea, those are pretty negative views, but given what they have been doing, I won't be surprise if any of the above happen. I hope that I'm wrong, though.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga