AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

View Poll Results: Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 5 12.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 30.77%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 28.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 20.51%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 5.13%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 2.56%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-01-15, 22:13   Link #21
Shadow5YA

So Shinka changed her hair back just like that, huh
Old 2014-01-15, 22:13   Link #22
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Very well said, novalysis.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2014-01-15, 22:15   Link #23
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
The genius of this 2nd Episode is that it criticizes the assumption of too many Rom-coms that the "post-confession"stage of a relationship is utterly irrelevant. In other words, it attacks the Sentiment "if a Rom Com or Harem is resolved in the favor of one girl, the story would be over" that plagues too much of the genre now of days. That's what I loved about this episode here - it was a delightful finger pointed at every recent Rom Com and Harem anime that refuses to let the MC Commit to a girl for fear that the story would be over. I find this aspect interesting, and so far, this episode has done an excellent job at conveying that conundrum. Of course, it's up to the subsequent episodes to fulfill that promise.
I don't sense any criticism here, not specifically at harem genre. After all, Chu2Koi was never a harem in the first place. It do consider this criticism works better on Shoujo Manga/Anime genre though. But yes, most harem series are like that as well, but that's because they want to keep the shippers fanbases in check i.e. afraid of loosing these fanbases if MC hook up with a girl early. Monogatari somewhat proves this wrong though.
Quote:
And, as previous commentators have already said, it's revealed that both Rikka and Yuuta are both more or less still Children. I don't think they'd go down that road, but really, it seemed as if Rikka's relation with Yuuta is something of a Puppy Love affair. Another theme I think the anime is attacking is the cliche that being in a Relationship immediately makes you a man or a woman.
Agreed, some real life relationships are like that as well. I think the reason we haven't seen that many in anime is because many people find it cheesy or boring.

I'm surprise that Shinka change beck to normal without any explanation. I thought that her change of appearence is supposed to serve as an important plot point that should happen latter.
Old 2014-01-15, 22:32   Link #24
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
I don't sense any criticism here, not specifically at harem genre. After all, Chu2Koi was never a harem in the first place.
Agreed. Yuuta was briefly interested in Nibutani, but she shot that down pretty fast. Rikka is really the only one of the girls that has shown romantic interest in Yuuta. The others are friendly with him, but that's it.

However, you could argue that this itself is an implied criticism of harem. In other words, you can surround a male character with several female characters, but have only one of them actually interested in him, and it can still work and sell well. You don't have to do it the harem way, simply having some cute female characters there is good enough, even if they aren't romantically interested in the male lead.

I like this about Chuuni, because I find it much more down-to-Earth and plausible than multiple girls all having the hots for just your everyday teenage guy.

Quote:
I'm surprise that Shinka change beck to normal without any explanation. I thought that her change of appearence is supposed to serve as an important plot point that should happen latter.
Is Shinka a natural blonde or a natural brunette/dark-haired? If she's a natural brunette/dark-haired, it's not that strange - She just went back to the blonde hair dye. But if she's a natural blonde, and had her hair dyed dark, it is a bit strange for the dye to wear out that quickly.

My sisters dye their hair frequently, and it takes a fair bit of time for the dye to wear out and natural hair color to fully return.
Old 2014-01-15, 22:37   Link #25
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Agreed. Yuuta was briefly interested in Nibutani, but she shot that down pretty fast. Rikka is really the only one of the girls that has shown romantic interest in Yuuta. The others are friendly with him, but that's it.

However, you could argue that this itself is an implied criticism of harem. In other words, you can surround a male character with several female characters, but have only one of them actually interested in him, and it can still work and sell well. You don't have to do it the harem way, simply having some cute female characters there is good enough, even if they aren't romantically interested in the male lead.

I like this about Chuuni, because I find it much more down-to-Earth and plausible than multiple girls all having the hots for just your everyday teenage guy.

Is Shinka a natural blonde or a natural brunette/dark-haired? If she's a natural brunette/dark-haired, it's not that strange - She just went back to the blonde hair dye. But if she's a natural blonde, and had her hair dyed dark, it is a bit strange for the dye to wear out that quickly.

My sisters dye their hair frequently, and it takes a fair bit of time for the dye to wear out and natural hair color to fully return.
No idea, this doesn't happen in the novel. Same thing can be said about Ishiki going bold.
Old 2014-01-15, 22:39   Link #26
Elestia

Quote:
Agreed, some real life relationships are like that as well. I think the reason we haven't seen that many in anime is because many people find it cheesy or boring.
It might start out as puppy love, but as Togashi said they will love each other in their own way and I think that is the apotheosis of his message. He doesn't want people forcing their viewpoints on how their relationship should be or develop.
Old 2014-01-16, 00:25   Link #27
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
How on Earth did Rikka manage to spend 280,000 yen in one shot? That's equivalent to 2,672 USD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Night vision binoculars run the whole gamut from fifty bucks to five thousand bucks and up. Rikka is just about careless enough for this kind of spending, too.
Yep, my reaction there was "She bought real night-vision goggles???"
Old 2014-01-16, 00:52   Link #28
HandofFate

what was the deal with the 10yen coin again? I saw it pop up a few times this season.
Old 2014-01-16, 01:03   Link #29
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Wasn't that the coin Rikka showed Yuuta during Season 1?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2014-01-16, 01:45   Link #30
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Well, that was a nice, refreshing ep to be sure. I really do like how Rikka and Yuuta interact with each other - they are playful enough and harass one another, but they are also very simple in a good sense and are both aware of where they are at present and that neither wants to pretentiously "invent" something.

Particular setting with these two and in the context of romance aside, I feel that honesty like this and having other people you can be like this with is something to treasure, should one be fortunate enough to either find ot or become aware of it to begin with.

But it is also true that this important element cannot either exist by itself or remain static. Kinda feel it should ideally be a guiding principle to growth rather than an end in and of itself, no matter how helpful or healthy or whatever it is. I think that the suggestion by the love-master student about relationships needing passion as well to help safeguard them (particularly early on and when those involved are young) was very down-to-earth.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if the new girl served as a catalyst for Yuuta and Rikka to begin to grow some out of their current "space". Looking forward to it.
Old 2014-01-16, 02:44   Link #31
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Oh, innocent moe lovers... warms my virgin heart.
Old 2014-01-16, 05:43   Link #32
teja208
Critical fanboy

I know FredFriendly won't like it if he's still around, but I kinda raise my eyebrows upon see Rikka getting spanked. With first episode introducing ahoge pulling, we might probably get a different "punishment" every episode.

I still want to know what Rikka saw hidden in the Dark Flame Note. Most likely, it has something to do with the pink-hair girl before the ED.
Old 2014-01-16, 05:59   Link #33
novalysis

Quote:
I know FredFriendly won't like it if he's still around, but I kinda raise my eyebrows upon see Rikka getting spanked. With first episode introducing ahoge pulling, we might probably get a different "punishment" every episode.

I still want to know what Rikka saw hidden in the Dark Flame Note. Most likely, it has something to do with the pink-hair girl before the ED.
On the other hand, Rika just spent 2000 USD without batting an eye. If anything, it seems to indicate that Yuuta's acting as a Parental substitute to Rika, in a certain sense.

My speculation is that whatever Rikka saw was related to the failed Middle School Confession flashback that we saw in the First season, during the buildup to Rikka and Yuuta's confession.
Old 2014-01-16, 06:50   Link #34
kniteowl

Wow is everyone here reading too deeply into the episode? I just turned my brain off and just enjoyed the humour with kazari and the date at the aquarium. Rikka trying to initiate the hand holding was super cute. While the rest of her chuunibyou moments during the date was awesome.

Then there's rikka and dekimori appreciating the SHINY blue gem. The image in itself was awe inspiring. How can you resist the might of the SHINY!!!

Finally there's nibutani raging about yuuta and rikka's lack of progress in their relationship but been able to channel her frustration In a useful way to help support their relationship.

And the well timed cliff hanger ending when the wizard shows up. I'm curious how that chuunibyou battle will play out besides the one in the opening.
Old 2014-01-16, 07:18   Link #35
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
My speculation is that whatever Rikka saw was related to the failed Middle School Confession flashback that we saw in the First season, during the buildup to Rikka and Yuuta's confession.
Yes, actually that could be a twist. It's common to expect whatever is in that note is related to the pink-hair girl. Maybe not. It could be related to the girl Yuuta confessed as you said or even the mysterious stalker few people spotted in this episode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kniteowl View Post
Wow is everyone here reading too deeply into the episode?

And the well timed cliff hanger ending when the wizard shows up. I'm curious how that chuunibyou battle will play out besides the one in the opening.
No, we aren't. At least I don't think I am.

Honestly, I'm actually surprised they meet each other in that manner. It's completely different from the LN. Good thing Yuuta isn't there so this is more like pure first impression from Rikka POV.

I can hardly wait to see her "magic" whatever that is.

Last edited by teja208; 2014-01-16 at 07:31.
Old 2014-01-16, 09:18   Link #36
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
I know FredFriendly won't like it if he's still around, but I kinda raise my eyebrows upon see Rikka getting spanked.
I didn't get into it, because they executed it as effectively and humorously and lightheartedly as possible, so I decided to give it a slide on the basis of "A for effort". But still... there's no. way. you can have a guy spank his girlfriend (or vice versa) without a lot of people (probably most people) seeing something sexual there.

Which kind of clashes with the overall "innocent romance" vibe of the rest of the episode. I haven't decided yet if the clash is intentional (maybe aiming for a neat internal contrast?) or if they're just really pushing their luck here.
Old 2014-01-16, 09:36   Link #37
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

so nibutani, dekomori, & kumin go sneak watch yuta & rika give whole spank the rika over spend on night vision goggles.

yet whole spying bit yawn to supermarket time so go ask yuta on it give more normal yet no hand holding give 6 months in already?!

so nibutaki take yuta get date advice to lead yuta & rika sunday sea park date yet hand hold finally give day was ok better let rika be rika & oh speak of her now meet female person who climb the rope?
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
Old 2014-01-16, 09:48   Link #38
Zeydra
A random passerby

Honestly the way I saw the spanking it went with the vibe of how the relationship isn't even close to being romantic yet.
Old 2014-01-16, 09:53   Link #39
Peanutbutter

Instead of a couple, feels like a father watching over his daughter.

And this series has brought Kyoani to their best. Well-timed scenes, build ups, comedic stuff etc.

I also realised there's a huge story potential, for what happens after "boy and girl becomes a couple". I read that due to Japanese culture, people there seldom talk nor discuss about this stage. But hopefully, this series can spawn its own genre.
Old 2014-01-16, 10:38   Link #40
Anime Online

I kinda miss Yuuta trying his hardest to forget his chuunibyou memories. Even Nibutani merely "fainted", when in the past she would roll in circles on the floor.

Now the entire cast is just playing around. It is an anime about chuunibyou and none of the characters are chuunibyou anymore.
Closed Thread