Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-06, 11:44   Link #161
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
...Side note, Roy isn't king....
I thought it was: "roy" being an old-fashioned spelling of "roi" ("king"). "Gallery of Roy" seems so wrong to me in the subs.

Apparently this particular gallery is modeled after the Galerie du Roi in Brussels ("the King's Gallery"). But there are numerous similar shopping arcades in Paris, many built in the first half of the 19th century.

Japan was opened to the world starting with the arrival of US warships in 1853, then with the full Meiji revolution in 1868. This show is set somewhat later than that. France was already helping Japan modernize, and there were Frenchmen resident in Japan. Japan had exhibits at the World's Fairs of 1867 and 1878 in Paris, and Japanese woodblock prints were available in Europe from the 1860s on, and had a big effect on the impressionist painters.

I thought that Yune was the daughter in a trading house in Yokohama (where foreign companies had their biggest establishments), and that her family had a custom of having its young people work in another store for a while. Yune just chose (or was chosen to) work with this foreign company. So there is no question of "servant" or "slave." She is like the daughter of a friend. That's my impression, anyway.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 11:56   Link #162
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Roy is indeed a rather old fashioned way to spell Roi (King).
Old 2011-07-06, 12:15   Link #163
Zakoo

Heeh, ok I go return to my room where I passed most of my time and learn some french.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 17:45   Link #164
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
On the subject of slavery in France, it was abolished in 1848, however we had to wait 1896 to have it abolished for good in Madgascar in 1896.
Actually, slavery had been exceptional in mainland France for centuries as serfdom disappeared as soon as the XVth century, being limited to "visiting" slaves accompanying their masters from the Colonies.
All in all, slavery was all a matter concerning only the Colonies (of the Carribean and some South Indian Ocean islands). It actually was first abolished in 1794, before being reinstated in 1802, 1848 seeing it's final Abolition.

Quote:
Moreover, I would like to point out that there was a peak of interest in japanese culture during the late 19th century in France. This is why someone like Yune may have sparkled an amused curiosity more than anything else.

An interesting article here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France-...9th_century%29
Yes, Japonisme was indeed a big thing during this time, and it also heavily influenced Art Nouveau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Roy is indeed a rather old fashioned way to spell Roi (King).
Indeed it is.
Old 2011-07-06, 18:16   Link #165
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

For those interested in how a real life Yune would look like, this is about as close as you get :-

This is a photo of Kaoru Otsuki, wife of Dr. Sun Yat-sen, taken at the age of Twelve in 1900.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 18:35   Link #166
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Slightly dodging the political and historical discussion (somewhat funny being a history major), I thought it was a nice first episode. Get the characters introduced and start building up the relationships between them. Certainly Claude came off as rough, but still a good guy in the end. I'm sure that eventually he'll get that kimono back though might take till the end of the show.

Should be a nice series to follow.
Old 2011-07-06, 19:30   Link #167
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Yune is so adorable i just want to give her a hug. Liked her interactions with Claude. Setting is great as always. Funny how Claude thought his grandfather was a perv for her greeting him like that.
Old 2011-07-06, 20:33   Link #168
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Looks like grandpa is giving Claude a wife...

An insanely CUTE one

and turn him into a lolicon at the same time
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 21:22   Link #169
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I saw a Japanese blog which mentions the basis of the Galerie du Roy as the Galerie des Panoramas, but it seems that the Belgian Galeries du Roi is much more accurate.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 22:22   Link #170
TrueKnight

The show explain Yune as a pin-up girl from a certain number one store in Nagasaki, so maybe (i) she did come from a wealthy family whose specializes in trade, or (ii) she and her family simply works there, but I'm inclining more to point (i) considering the expensive kimonos she and her mother wore. She might come to France because she was told gain more experience in other places. The fact that she's fluent in French made me wonder whether Yune is in love with France. Maybe thats why she's willing to go there and had learned their language.

Hmm this show seems gaining popularity and the content of the discussions arent limited to Yune's moeness..which is a good thing. If this continues then it'll be soon before its getting a subforum. But this depend how the 2nd ep will actually fare though...
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 22:55   Link #171
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
The fact that she's fluent in French made me wonder whether Yune is in love with France. Maybe thats why she's willing to go there and had learned their language.
I think it had more to do with her showing how committed she was to doing her job right more than anything. I'd imagine that she is just so fascinated being in a different country all together at such a young age, so every new thing just draws her attention and she'd give her all trying to fulfill her duty

Would fit with the way she acted in episode 1
Quote:
Hmm this show seems gaining popularity and the content of the discussions arent limited to Yune's moeness..which is a good thing.
Yeah, I think this is going to be a nice experience in the thread and the show overall. But I don't think the show will make much of a dent in the general AS crowd. At most I think we are going to get about 3 pages a week, especially after today and tomorrow where the most anticipated air, so the greater buzz is going to be around them mostly.
Quote:
If this continues then it'll be soon before its getting a subforum. But this depend how the 2nd ep will actually fare though...
Hm, perhaps this is just my bias against sub forums talking here, but I hope we just stay in this thread. Much better for having a more focused discussion.
Old 2011-07-07, 01:28   Link #172
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

My guess is that the French is a subtle way of showing us how smart Yune is. Most likely scenario seems to me that she listened to people speaking it on the journey from Yokohama (which in those days would have lasted a very long time) and learned it secretly.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-07, 07:48   Link #173
ThomasRomain

Hi guys,

Thank you for all the heart warming comments. I'm part of the staff of Ikoku meiro no croisee, along with my two french co-workers and friends Stan and Yann. The production is over yet but we worked a lot on this series and it was a real honnor and pleasure. I've already worked with Sato Junichi (aria, the OVA) and I was really glad to have been picked up this time again. This is the first time I worked with Yasuda san (director) and I really enjoyed his sensitive touch and his constant attention to details.
We were in charge of all the backgroud design (except the color which was done by Kawaguchi san of the atelier roku), the props setting, a lot of language checking, and all the layouts of the exposure scenes.
Like always (Oban star racers, basquash!...) I'm still writing about my experience in japanese animation industry on the well knowned french animation site catsuka.com. Please check the satelight forum to look at some production designs. Sorry, it's in french! I intend to post more of it next weeks. And feel free to ask questions, I will be happy to answer.

Enjoy the show, the best is still to come!
ThomasRomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-07, 08:36   Link #174
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with us. You even worked on Aria! That's amazing!

After reading your posts, I take it it's correct to assume the series takes place between 1878 and 1889. That lowers it down quite bit. And that means, no Commune! Phew. Do you perhaps know the precise year the series takes place in?
Old 2011-07-07, 09:45   Link #175
FireChick

WHAT?!? Tell me that post by him is fake! That CANNOT be true!

Yay! This is awesome!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-07, 09:50   Link #176
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I feel like the part of the show's premise is to show turn of the century clashing between two cultures, in the form of Claude and Yune. It still feels very much abrupt to be dropped like Yune into the middle without really knowing why she's there and what she wants to actually do in France, but I'll expect to see that in future episodes.

Strangely enough the show reminds me a bit of Taisho Yakyuu Musume, not just because a very close time frame, but also about how it might be like to transpose cultures together.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-07, 09:56   Link #177
ThomasRomain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Do you perhaps know the precise year the series takes place in?
No sorry. Neither the mangaka or the director has clearly decided it I think. They said to us that the story took place during the years 1880.
Old 2011-07-07, 10:01   Link #178
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
what she wants to actually do in France, but I'll expect to see that in future episodes.

She said she wanted to be a part of the Galerie du Roy. How exactly, we will find out.

@ThomasRomain, I would like to know if the Brunet mentioned by a man in the first episode is Jules Brunet or you guys feeling like making a shout out to one of you guys (Stanislas).
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-07, 10:25   Link #179
ThomasRomain

It's just a coincidence. Besides, Brunet is a pretty common name in France.
Old 2011-07-07, 10:29   Link #180
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

@ThomasRomain

If I may ask, how old is Yune exactly ? Her age differs from 13 to 15 according to various sources due to them citing the western and eastern calendar.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
historical, romance, shounen, slice of life