AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-02-09, 06:43   Link #121
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

According to the interview, it seemed like the Shigurui manga stretched an original story from 50 years ago (!) and the final product is what we got.

I still think there is much grounds for a sequel of 12 new eps. I mean, look at those episodes and there weren't too many involving fights. Just a few standoffs. Not too many like the Irako vs Kogan fight.

Knowing the show's direction now, they can stretch it with a lot of excessive creepiness and dark atmospheric moments.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 21:40   Link #122
Beansy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeILL View Post
But it's kind of funny how the main character in this anime is really Kugan, and not Irako nor Fujiki. And he's quite an honorable guy too, he might be sick and twisted in the head, but he would never backstab his own people.

One of my favorite moments was when Kugan took Fujiki's place in fighting that little kid, because he didn't want Fujiki to get killed.
My internet sarcasm detector isn't working properly at the moment; are you actually being serious? I've seen enough insane posts here and there where it's hard to be sure.

If you're serious, this is kind of like someone saying [insert random serial killer or genocidal despot here] isn't as bad as [insert random politician here] because "at least he isn't a hypocrite."

So basically Kogan may be a sadistic, murderous, psychopath who sexually assaulted his own daughter and kills innocent people to test sword techniques, but at least he would never backstab his own people (except for the two former students of his summoned to guard him, who he literally stabbed in the back), and so apparently he's an honorable guy?

I thought it was pretty clear that Kogan was pretty much a monster. The fact that he occasionally did something nice instead of monstrous does not negate this.

Last edited by Beansy; 2008-02-20 at 08:45.
Beansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 21:58   Link #123
Alleluia_Cone
Prospective Cog

I actually have Japanese copies of all the currently available volumes, including the latest one, volume 9. Admittedly, I cannot read Japanese, but to all those that have been asking on this board, the final fight has not been resolved yet; the latest volume actually dealt with how Fujiki had his arm sliced off by Irako. So to those wanting resolution, you're going to have to wait (and I doubt it will come in the form of a second season or OVAs).
Alleluia_Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 14:19   Link #124
Topcowimagehitman21
In the darkness

Send a message via Yahoo to Topcowimagehitman21
I loved this series it needs a season for sure.
Topcowimagehitman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 14:50   Link #125
A.M.S.
Saizen
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beansy View Post
My internet sarcasm detector isn't working properly at the moment; are you actually being serious? I've seen enough insane posts here and there where it's hard to be sure.

If you're serious, this is kind of like someone saying [insert random serial killer or genocidal despot here] isn't as bad as [insert random politician here] because "at least he isn't a hypocrite."

So basically Kogan may be a sadistic, murderous, psychopath who sexually assaulted his own daughter and kills innocent people to test sword techniques, but at least he would never backstab his own people (except for the two former students of his summoned to guard him, who he literally stabbed in the back), and so apparently he's an honorable guy?

I thought it was pretty clear that Kogan was pretty much a monster. The fact that he occasionally did something nice instead of monstrous does not negate this.
I suggest watching the interview that Saizen released with the Manga creator, where he addresses this topic specifically.
A.M.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 12:36   Link #126
Beansy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M.S. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beansy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeILL
But it's kind of funny how the main character in this anime is really Kugan, and not Irako nor Fujiki. And he's quite an honorable guy too, he might be sick and twisted in the head, but he would never backstab his own people.

One of my favorite moments was when Kugan took Fujiki's place in fighting that little kid, because he didn't want Fujiki to get killed.

I suggest watching the interview that Saizen released with the Manga creator, where he addresses this topic specifically.
If you mean the interview released jointly by A-E & Saizen that ran about five minutes and thirty seconds, I watched it previous to when I made my original post and watched it again just now, and unless I have amnesia at no point does Yamaguchi Takayuki even talk about Kogan, or any of the characters specifically for that matter. With regards to the morality of Shigurui all he says is that the period it is set in was a very cruel one, and that "good deeds were not rewarded" and that that is reflected in Shigurui. That is not even close to addressing the specific point that Kogan is more or less a monster and very much not an honorable guy.

Is there's another interview that Saizen released with the mangaka? If not, just what were you referring to?

Last edited by Beansy; 2008-03-20 at 12:39. Reason: deleting link (unsure of rules with regards to that)
Beansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 10:28   Link #127
eris_sama

I have a question about the girl (Mei?) Kogan's daughter. Was she ever married to Irako? It seemed they already slept together or was that just her fantasy because he wanted to wait and do it privately?
This was a riveting series. My only problem was with her character. The female goes mad, again, because she's weak. And how did she regain her sanity? She started out seemingly as a strong female char, but I was disappointed.
eris_sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 21:14   Link #128
LifeILL

Ok.....I just got done reading volume 7 of the Shigurui manga.....which was where episode 12 leaves us at.

I think they should definitely do a second season....you feel as if the story had only just begun.

So this is where they left off :

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7294/p018019vv8.jpg

And then the lord asks Irako to demonstrate his sword technique

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/3373/p021zu7.jpg

Irako is asked to fight a prisoner who tried to escape with his wife after learning that the lord was trying to rape her.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/3858/p022kh1.jpg

And of course Irako kills him easily.....and then kills his wife too.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1836/p032ge0.jpg

Then the story goes back in time to when Fujiki was a child. He meets a bully and has to kneel because he was only a farmer, and his status was lower than the bullies'.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/2950/p049ln4.jpg

And the bully forces him to eat Horse shit

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8269/p052iv9.jpg

Then Fujiki gets pissed....the next day he kills him and literally rips the top of his head off.

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/6434/p060az4.jpg

His grandparents/parents are mad as all hell....and was about to punish him.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/5476/p061kw4.jpg

Until a guy shows up and cuts him down

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1049/p063ox2.jpg

And that guy is no one other than....

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/6197/p067ak6.jpg

Kugan himself!

That's the gist of it......

Last edited by xris; 2008-05-16 at 13:00. Reason: Please use thumbnails or URLs instead of big-arsed images, thank you
LifeILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 01:55   Link #129
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

The plot deepens!

Still hoping for a second season sometime down the road.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 13:02   Link #130
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Funimation have announced the license for Shigurui: Death Frenzy.

AnimeOnDVD report
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 13:53   Link #131
Echoes

Ho-ho... That's certainly good news! I can't say I really expected this to get licensed, though.
Old 2008-05-26, 03:29   Link #132
Lawfer

I had a question, the anime ends at what volume and chapter of the manga?

Starts: Anime Episode 01 - Manga Volume 01 Chapter 01

Ends: Anime Episode 12 - Manga Volume ?? Chapter ??
Lawfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-01, 15:43   Link #133
LifeILL

The manga is still ongoing, hasn't ended yet....I think it still has a long way to go.

Right now it's on volume 10.

The anime ends around Volume 6. So there is no ending in the anime. But it does have a resolution, if that makes sense.
Old 2008-06-02, 09:13   Link #134
Lawfer

Quote:
The anime ends around Volume 6.
So I need to buy volume 6 right? Or does the anime ends at the end of volume 6?
Old 2008-06-07, 11:39   Link #135
LifeILL

The anime ends at the end of Volume 6
Old 2008-06-09, 11:29   Link #136
Lawfer

Quote:
The anime ends at the end of Volume 6
Volume 7 and 8 are out so far I'll be buying those 2, thanks.
Old 2009-03-09, 20:49   Link #137
taelrak

Hm...

so what happens in the volumes anyway? Who wins?
taelrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-10, 16:23   Link #138
neshru

Quote:
Originally Posted by taelrak View Post
Hm...

so what happens in the volumes anyway? Who wins?
I've read up to volume 10...
Spoiler for shigurui manga:
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-10, 16:32   Link #139
taelrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
I've read up to volume 10...
Spoiler for shigurui manga:
i see...thanks
Spoiler for question:
taelrak is offline   Reply With Quote