AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-04-13, 04:34   Link #61
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
A nice AU, although for now I find it hard not to be cautious about AUs (reading Gretchen's profile seems to have done that to me ). But sigh, it seems like these two just NEED to get into a screwed up situation before they get along.

About fanfics in general, I believe PMMM will still get a fair bit. It's popular, it has several dozens hosted at fanfiction.net even before it's finished (of course, a month-long hiatus and a sea of speculations are also a factor, but still), it... it is the only way for some people to spend more time with the characters who keep going down just as you get to like them. In this light, now wonder some take Kyouko's prayer as adressed to God, but actually directed at them. After all, these two would make brilliant magical girls in any other MG universe (have them enroll in TSAB and see the results), seeing them end their lives like that just because the plot is LESS than friendly to heroes of justice does seem unfair, especially to the genre fans. Ditto with Mami. On the other hand, if you feel that it was the character's lives wasted unfairly rather than the characters themselves... it speaks in favour of the authors.

On anothe note, ZipCode's crossover pack is updated. I was rather indifferent to all the chapters save the Little Mermaid one, but this... good Lord, Mami as Kamina?!! Gotta read this to the end. Thank the author for not replacing Boota with Kyuubey, at least.
Somehow I think Sayaka or Kyouko would make a better Kamina, but... I have my guesses about the author's choice.
I'm willing to give this fandom some leniency as far as AUs are concerned, since the way the series is going right now AUs may well be the only way for a (realistically written) fanfic to avoid the inevitably sad or otherwise bittersweet ending the anime is spiraling toward. And while for the series itself this is all well and good (and as contradictory as it is, giving us a truly happy ending at this stage would feel just weird), seeing fanfiction deviate from that would be nice. Even Matchmakers, which had what one might dare to say was a happy ending (for the main characters, anyway), was decisively bittersweet in nature. Mami

As for fanfiction on the whole, I won't dispute the possibility of a reasonably large amount of fanfiction (if fanfiction for Code Geass back a few years ago can be used for reference, I'm hoping fanfiction for this series will follow its example and explode with activity once the series is done). This doesn't really change the fact though that this series doesn't easily lend itself to lengthy plots (and AUs are made slightly redundant by the fact that, you know, the series deals with five AUs that do nothing if not prove the futility of changing small aspects of events). And one-shots and small romance-centric stories are only going to be entertaining for so long; there's a much deeper story involved here, but it's one that can't easily be messed around with.

On a finishing note yes, Madoka as Simon is full of win. Mami as Kamina was something I am very happy not picturing, but the first thing I did after reading that was go digging (heh) for Gurren Lagann crossover fanart, particularly of the Madoka-as-Simon variety. It just... works, somehow.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 08:53   Link #62
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
Quote:
I'm willing to give this fandom some leniency as far as AUs are concerned, since the way the series is going right now AUs may well be the only way for a (realistically written) fanfic to avoid the inevitably sad or otherwise bittersweet ending the anime is spiraling toward.
Too bad some do not take this opportunity, eh?

After reading this one, I'm ready to accept any ending PMMM throws at us, because I don't believe it will be THAT extreme.
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 09:02   Link #63
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
I currently have a plotbunny for the series, but I'm somewhat concerned about it since it's only a slight AU from the series, unless I ignore some of the finer details and make it a purely humor story.
Old 2011-04-13, 13:57   Link #64
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
I currently have a plotbunny for the series, but I'm somewhat concerned about it since it's only a slight AU from the series, unless I ignore some of the finer details and make it a purely humor story.
So do I (have a slightly AU idea, that is); and even a slight AU is perfectly fine if you play it out right. Take for example something Snork (I think it was him) said in another thread; change the events following Sayaka learning about being "inhuman" by throwing her into a situation where she's forced to remember why she became a MG in the first place (following his example further, this could be another case of Madoka being drawn into a barrier). The event itself isn't that big or important on it own, but it has the potential to throw a relatively serious wedge in everything that happens after that point. I actually prefer that sort of AU to the sort that dismantles and reconstructs canon.
Old 2011-04-13, 14:35   Link #65
Kazu-kun

Quote:
After reading this one, I'm ready to accept any ending PMMM throws at us, because I don't believe it will be THAT extreme.
Of course it won't. This fic introduced lots of new concepts into the story. You can't do that in the series proper, as all the important plot elements needs to be properly foreshadowed way beforehand.

As a fanfic it's kinda interesting though. Will keep reading!
Old 2011-04-13, 22:12   Link #66
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akashin View Post
I can't think of a series off hand that both shares themes present in Madoka and would work in a crossover with Madoka, but since I've never had much of a hand for crossovers to begin with (barring a weird Fairy Tail/Legend of Zelda crossover that never left the drawing board) that doesn't necessarily mean much. I'd be delighted to see this, though.
I'll try to read first those copies of Evangelion: Campus Apocalypse and see what I can do with such a possible fusion with the Madoka universe.
Old 2011-04-14, 02:07   Link #67
Snork
Twilight lander

Quote:
Of course it won't. This fic introduced lots of new concepts into the story. You can't do that in the series proper, as all the important plot elements needs to be properly foreshadowed way beforehand.
Actually, the fanfic seems to be all about the events and details the author chose to interpret as foreshadowing. Of course, he goes draws all the concepts based on worst case scenarios, which contributes both to horror and headscratching. I wrote a short review there, expressing my doubts, but then again, I don't know if I should have bothered. It's called fanfiction for a reason.

Quote:
As a fanfic it's kinda interesting though. Will keep reading!
So will I, but with a pack of antidepressants at hand. Even a stand-alone idea of Kyouko turning into a witch is enough to sink me into the depths of despair Nozomu Itoshiki has yet to imagine.
but this guy had better hurry, after next Thursday the whole project will lose all of its impact and relevance.
Old 2011-04-18, 20:30   Link #68
NeoEevee

Oh, hello everyone.

Instead of just posting ideas, I'd like to give you a little snapshot of a work in progress of mine. It was originally supposed to be the opening to the grand finale of a massive crossover saga I'm working on, but it was eventually axed in favor of a more Gainax-y opening. Or maybe it was intended as an alternate opening from the beginning. But mostly it's just what plays in my head whenever I hear Magia. o3o

For maximum foreshadowing, please picture demon!Madoka being voiced by Willa Holland and play a slowed down version of Magia in the background.
Spoiler for Long, partially unedited crossover ficcage ahead. Has some gore.:

Ehehehe, I'm a little nervous about posting this. ^^; I admit, the entire scene sort of ending in my head with time reseting and all... so the end part was kinda slapped on.
NeoEevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 21:11   Link #69
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoEevee View Post
Oh, hello everyone.

Instead of just posting ideas, I'd like to give you a little snapshot of a work in progress of mine. It was originally supposed to be the opening to the grand finale of a massive crossover saga I'm working on, but it was eventually axed in favor of a more Gainax-y opening. Or maybe it was intended as an alternate opening from the beginning. But mostly it's just what plays in my head whenever I hear Magia. o3o

For maximum foreshadowing, please picture demon!Madoka being voiced by Willa Holland and play a slowed down version of Magia in the background.
Spoiler for Long, partially unedited crossover ficcage ahead. Has some gore.:

Ehehehe, I'm a little nervous about posting this. ^^; I admit, the entire scene sort of ending in my head with time reseting and all... so the end part was kinda slapped on.
Jesus, that was good. I couldn't get a good mental image of a demon!Madoka for the sake of reading that (the closest I got was a deranged picture of her holding up a completely black Soul Gem I have saved somewhere), and the idea of something like that sharing Aqua's voice is disturbing, but that was awesome all the same. I can only assume where you were going with that idea, but Madoka here seemed ten times more creepy than Vanitas (assuming he was indeed who you derived the idea of her appearance from, as it seemed you did) could ever hope to be. Truly amazing.
Old 2011-04-19, 08:51   Link #70
Snork
Twilight lander

Quote:
Jesus, that was good. I couldn't get a good mental image of a demon!Madoka for the sake of reading that
Neither could I. The combined image of Madoka/Gretchen pops to mind instead. And I shoudn't have played Shin Megami Tensei games befroe reading this... bad timing, really.
Old 2011-04-19, 11:05   Link #71
Akashin

Quote:
Neither could I. The combined image of Madoka/Gretchen pops to mind instead. And I shoudn't have played Shin Megami Tensei games befroe reading this... bad timing, really.
I know literally nothing of Shin Megami Tensei, so if there were elements of that in there they flew happily over my head. The Kingdom Hearts elements, on the other hand, hit me with all the subtlety of a kangaroo kick to the face. Then again, they were right there in front of me, so...

On the topic of demon!Madoka, the pic I used for reference was this one. Probably not perfect, but everything about it is definitely dark (and screwed up; never forget screwed up) enough to fit the bill.
Old 2011-04-19, 13:22   Link #72
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
good Lord, Mami as Kamina?!!
That was epic and awesome, and it inspired me. It was so strange since Mami in canon is much quieter and more reserved than Kamina, but somehow she just fit into his role so perfectly.
Old 2011-04-22, 15:40   Link #73
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
I like how posting a story a few hours after Madoka's finale aired caused my FF.net viewcount to jump from 102 to 490 in a single day.

Also, here's a simple, short, happy Cure Pine fanfic

Set in the Madoka universe.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6928436/1/Deliverance

Isn't that nice?

Last edited by Hagoshod; 2011-04-22 at 19:52.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 14:10   Link #74
NeoEevee

Hi, I'm back with more fan witches that need names. xD; Okay, so it's only one this time... looks like another KH character became a Puella Magi and went off the deep end... -w-

The stained glass witch. She has a "knight templar"-type personality. She continually devotes herself to destroying all the darkness of the world. Anyone with darkness in their heart who attempts to enter her barrier will be destroyed on-sight, but the pure hearted may stay. In fact, it could be said she desires their company.

The witch herself is a shifting creature made of stained glass; the lead lines between panes become her "outline." She can take on whatever shape she desires, but she prefers that of a humanoid. Sometimes, pictures like memories flash across the panes that make up her body.

When you enter this witch's barrier, it may, like most barriers, have pieces of scenery from the outside world. But everything will be brighter. There will be stained glass everywhere. The pathways will become stained glass, and soon the only solid footing will be round, stained glass towers against pure whiteness. Remember that the witch can strike from anywhere here.

I don't have any ideas for the witch's familiars yet, but I'm thinking something like little living throwing stars that can liquify themselves (actually, y'know what? That's perfect. I'll go with that).

Yeah, I need names. Especially names for the familiars. xD;
Old 2011-04-24, 15:06   Link #75
Akashin

Quote:
The stained glass witch. She has a "knight templar"-type personality. She continually devotes herself to destroying all the darkness of the world. Anyone with darkness in their heart who attempts to enter her barrier will be destroyed on-sight, but the pure hearted may stay. In fact, it could be said she desires their company.

The witch herself is a shifting creature made of stained glass; the lead lines between panes become her "outline." She can take on whatever shape she desires, but she prefers that of a humanoid. Sometimes, pictures like memories flash across the panes that make up her body.

When you enter this witch's barrier, it may, like most barriers, have pieces of scenery from the outside world. But everything will be brighter. There will be stained glass everywhere. The pathways will become stained glass, and soon the only solid footing will be round, stained glass towers against pure whiteness. Remember that the witch can strike from anywhere here.

I don't have any ideas for the witch's familiars yet, but I'm thinking something like little living throwing stars that can liquify themselves (actually, y'know what? That's perfect. I'll go with that).

So, um, when did Naminé become a Puella Magi? Whether that was who you were thinking of or not (it probably was), this is definitely her Witch.

Anyway, I'll be honest; when I read all of this, the name that came perfectly to mind for me was Saint Mary of all things. The name seemed a perfect fit with a Witch that seeks to eliminate all forms of darkness, and it maintains a connection between the Witch and Christianity (Knight Templars and all that). 'Course, it helps that the né in Naminé's name is French for "to be born", and I immediately drew a connection between that and Mary being the mother of Jesus.

As for the Familiar, I have absolutely nothing. Perhaps a name somehow tied in with Mary, but I don't know enough about her to supply you with any. Sorry 'bout that, and sorry again if this turns out to be a bad suggestion. Not sure how much I like the name Saint Mary myself, but I'll be damned if it's not fitting.
Old 2011-04-24, 18:28   Link #76
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

I have a plotbunny that demands I write a How To Train Your Dragon based fanfic. With the Madoka characters.

What.
Old 2011-04-24, 18:53   Link #77
sa547
*Author

Quote:
How about Martel or Gustave?

As for me... I'm working on something where I'm trying to seamlessly link this show with another through several common factors. Can't say but my brain's on fire right now.
Old 2011-04-24, 22:06   Link #78
NeoEevee

Quote:
So, um, when did Naminé become a Puella Magi? Whether that was who you were thinking of or not (it probably was), this is definitely her Witch.
o.0 Namine? Wow, never thought someone would think of that. xD; I thought it was pretty obvious that she was Aqua's witch...

Quote:
Anyway, I'll be honest; when I read all of this, the name that came perfectly to mind for me was Saint Mary of all things. The name seemed a perfect fit with a Witch that seeks to eliminate all forms of darkness, and it maintains a connection between the Witch and Christianity (Knight Templars and all that). 'Course, it helps that the né in Naminé's name is French for "to be born", and I immediately drew a connection between that and Mary being the mother of Jesus.
Hm. Interesting. 0_o

I think I'll use the name. But mess with the spelling a little... like, Mari, or something like that.

I like the name Mari. o3o

Quote:
As for the Familiar, I have absolutely nothing. Perhaps a name somehow tied in with Mary, but I don't know enough about her to supply you with any. Sorry 'bout that, and sorry again if this turns out to be a bad suggestion. Not sure how much I like the name Saint Mary myself, but I'll be damned if it's not fitting.
Cin. I came up with it just now. From "Mari", a possible alternate spelling of "Mary", and a reference to Mari from Rebuild of Evangelion; Mari is first seen piloting Evangelion Provisional Unit 05. Cinque is Italian for "five", I'm fairly sure; that's also the name of the fifth Numbers Cyborg from Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS. Shorten Cinque and you get "Cin." It also sounds like "sin" which is dramatically ironic considering the witch's personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
I have a plotbunny that demands I write a How To Train Your Dragon based fanfic. With the Madoka characters.

What.
Fusion Fic or straight crossover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
How about Martel or Gustave?
I'll make a note of that. ^^ Thanks.
Old 2011-04-24, 22:28   Link #79
Akashin

Quote:
o.0 Namine? Wow, never thought someone would think of that. xD; I thought it was pretty obvious that she was Aqua's witch...
...Somehow, I didn't even think of Aqua. I thought of the part of eliminating darkness as a reflection of Naminé being the Nobody of a Princess of Heart, and the stained glass depicting memories thing as a reflection of Naminé's ability to tamper with memories. Still, I can see where you got Aqua, too. Weird.

Quote:
Hm. Interesting. 0_o

I think I'll use the name. But mess with the spelling a little... like, Mari, or something like that.

I like the name Mari. o3o
Like I said, I didn't really like the name; fitting as it may be, the name didn't really seem good for a Witch. Mari does sound better.

Quote:
Cin. I came up with it just now. From "Mari", a possible alternate spelling of "Mary", and a reference to Mari from Rebuild of Evangelion; Mari is first seen piloting Evangelion Provisional Unit 05. Cinque is Italian for "five", I'm fairly sure; that's also the name of the fifth Numbers Cyborg from Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS. Shorten Cinque and you get "Cin." It also sounds like "sin" which is dramatically ironic considering the witch's personality.
Oh snap. I bow to you here; that's some damn good connections you made there. Jeez.
Old 2011-04-24, 22:54   Link #80
NeoEevee

Quote:
...Somehow, I didn't even think of Aqua. I thought of the part of eliminating darkness as a reflection of Naminé being the Nobody of a Princess of Heart, and the stained glass depicting memories thing as a reflection of Naminé's ability to tamper with memories. Still, I can see where you got Aqua, too. Weird.
Really...?

...It's true. My ideas and headcanon don't make sense to anyone but me. OTL

The Knight Templar thing comes from Aqua being Eraqus's best student... and his teachings can reach into Knight Templar territory occasionally. If Aqua became a Puella Magi, I can see her adding witch-hunting (...heh, witch-hunting...) to her duties as a Keyblade Wielder with great enthusiasm.

Then, she learns the truth.

She does not take it well.

Then, the slower realization that darkness and grief can never be truly eradicated piles onto this, and she goes witch. Which is (just as I planned, kekekeke...) incredibly ironic considering the KH canon. >w>

Quote:
Like I said, I didn't really like the name; fitting as it may be, the name didn't really seem good for a Witch. Mari does sound better.
Mari it is then. ^^ So now I've made six witches. Godfrey, Gottlieb, Grendel Konstantin, Franz Wolfstan, Astrid, and Mari. Oddly enough, Astrid and Mari are the only girls...

Quote:
Oh snap. I bow to you here; that's some damn good connections you made there. Jeez.
All you need is a little Insane Troll Logic. ;3

Speaking of connections... wanna hear about my Grand Mass Guess on the connections between the Soul Anatomy of various series, including Madoka? [/totallynotSchmuckBait]

Tags
discussion, fanfiction