AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-28, 15:55   Link #61
Jouten

Guys... You don't think Oda let's Smoker die, just so that Tashigi has a reason to become stronger, (because she will blame it on herself) and become stronger than Zoro, Mihawk and Shirlew, right? RIGHT??

I don't want Smoker to die
Old 2012-03-28, 15:59   Link #62
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
Really wanna see smoker get out of this somehow. Seeing him get this owned again is unfortunate because I think he will be likely be to luffy what garp was to gol d roger (i know coby may also fit this role but i really think it will be smoker).

Switching the bullets and the snow is a neat trick. At first I did like the idea that box around smokers heart is the room miniaturized, but it raises some questions. Law did say "mes" so it could be a new move altogether. It also means Law is able to move the room around, along with its contents. Can he have multiple rooms? Overlapping ones?

Anyone know what the sound effects around smokers heart mean?

Smoker stopping Law's sword must mean he has haki.

Brownbeard: you bandits
Zoro: this guy has no sense of self reflection

Who are the people under Luffy's pic in the newspaper? One is definitely Dragon. The other two Ace and Garp??
Smoker wasn't exactly owned either, it was neck and neck until Law pulled that trick. You also have to think that at higher levels, fights can end in one move not because on owns the other but because both are really that dangerous.

I think that's the sound effect for the heart beating but I'm not sure.

Yes, Garp, Dragon and Ace

And yea.........Oda's just gonna let Smoker, a popular character with tons of potential just die like that.....>_>
Old 2012-03-28, 16:04   Link #63
marvelB

^The same can easily be said about Ace, yet that didn't stop him from dying from a hole in his gut.
Old 2012-03-28, 16:05   Link #64
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
^The same can easily be said about Ace, yet that didn't stop him from dying from a hole in his gut.
Yes but Ace had this grand moment with flashbacks and monologues. Smoker just dropped and went silent...
Old 2012-03-28, 16:09   Link #65
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouten View Post
Oh I finally found someone who share's my opinion. I too am somehow thinking Tashigi is going to be Zoro's final opponent and not Mihawk, but everytime I say this, people laugh at me...
The way Tashigi is turning out currently, I'd say it's unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Actually as cj1277 pointed out, it could be that the heart is incased in Ice.
Remember, from what we've seen from the samurai, he is still connected to all of his body parts even when seperated... If you stub his toe he will still feel it. The reason the Samurai's Head and Legs still function is beceasue his heart is still beating. But not Smoker's... BY freezing Smoker's heart, Law has stopped in from beating and without a beating heart, the rest of Smoker is rendered effectively dead.
If it's ice, then Smoker's heart may be cryogenically contained, so don't consider Smoker dead just yet. We have yet to see what Law does with that heart.
Old 2012-03-28, 16:10   Link #66
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Yes but Ace had this grand moment with flashbacks and monologues. Smoker just dropped and went silent...

Well, Smoker could always get posthumous character development via flashback (which was also the case with Ace).....
Old 2012-03-28, 16:11   Link #67
golgo13

^ I'm not saying smoker died! holy cow no way.

And I don't agree that its possible that its neck and neck and then a trick is what led to a victory between high level powers. There is usually a massive battle (ace/jinbe, aokiji/akainu, etc...).

I don't think what Law did was cheap trick (this implies his victory is guaranteed), it was a great move. I would really like to see smoker get out of it.
Old 2012-03-28, 16:14   Link #68
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:

And I don't agree that its possible that its neck and neck and then a trick is what led to a victory between high level powers. There is usually a massive battle (ace/jinbe, aokiji/akainu, etc...).

I don't think what Law did was cheap trick (this implies his victory is guaranteed), it was a great move. I would really like to see smoker get out of it.
It was sort of a big battle...there were ships flying around and all that jazz :P

And those "big battles" you mentioned were never really shown, it's easy for Oda to say they had a 3 day battle, but it's harder to find the place, draw it and keep it interesting.

EDIT: Ace and Jinbe had a battle that lasted days. It wasn't shown but then Ace and BB had a battle that lasted a few minutes, and their levels weren't that much different at the time. However the big different is that the battle was actually fully shown.
Old 2012-03-28, 16:16   Link #69
Diveman

Its kinda hard to make a comeback when your heart kinda leaves your body.
Old 2012-03-28, 16:18   Link #70
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
If it's ice, then Smoker's heart may be cryogenically contained, so don't consider Smoker dead just yet. We have yet to see what Law does with that heart.
Oh no, i do not think for an instant that he is PERMANENTLY dead. Just effectively dead... as in for now; until they stuff his heart back in place

But then again, one problem with the ice theory is that Oda has already pointed out the dangers of being frozen when the strawhats ran into Aokiji. While being frozen isn't as deadly as it is in real life, being frozen for too long WILL kill in one piece... in short, that would mean that something frozen would not be cryogenically preserved and Smoker's heart, which should be especially vulnarable, would probably die if it is not quickly unfrozen.
Old 2012-03-28, 16:24   Link #71
marvelB

Quote:

Relax, bro! I wasn't being serious here (though I did notice some people a couple pages back who seemed to be wishing for ol' Smokey's demise....).

Anyways, I'm sure Smoker and Tashigi will be fixed right back up, via Luffy's assistance. As I've said before, I still don't really see Law being the villain of this arc. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the two supernova captains once again teamed up together to kick some ass (more specifically, M's ass, not the marines). Besides, I'm sure Luffy will still feel indebted to Law since he saved his life during the war....

Also, I'm kinda hoping that Miss Happy Harpy is actually much stronger than Brownbeard's fodder centaur army. Like maybe instead of being some Vegapunk-manufactured mutant, she could be actually be a zoan who's a fairly strong haki user.....
Old 2012-03-28, 16:26   Link #72
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

If other characters can still "live" after being cut into several pieces while inside Law's Room technique, I don't think him extracting someone's heart through the same method will kill the one affected either.

As we saw from the last chapter, apparently someone's heart also contains their consciousness and/or "soul", and when placed in a different body, that body takes on the personality of the original owner of the heart.

So in Smoker's case, what happens to his body when his "soul" is removed and not replaced? That results in an empty shell of a body. It is probably still alive, but without a "soul" it can't do anything at all.

So in a way, Law is holding Smoker's "soul" hostage.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2012-03-28 at 16:38.
Old 2012-03-28, 16:37   Link #73
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Is it wrong that the more I think about it, the more I'm liking the idea of Ms Happy Harpy joining the crew?
Goddamn jokes make me seriously consider it D:
Old 2012-03-28, 16:38   Link #74
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Conversely, a talking head, even though the head's heart is still in his torso? How does that work?
Old 2012-03-28, 16:41   Link #75
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Conversely, a talking head, even though the head's heart is still in his torso? How does that work?
OP logic, don't question it. We should all think like this now.
Old 2012-03-28, 16:50   Link #76
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Well even if the parts of the body are still severed from one another, they still belong to the same body. So as long as the heart is still in the torso, anyone who has been cut into pieces will still retain their personality under the effect of the Room technique.

I don't think we should analyze this too much though. Devil fruit and the abilities gained from them are practically the only supernatural aspect of One Piece, so the explanations behind them and what they do won't necessarily make 100% sense. We need to stretch our disbelief sometimes.
Old 2012-03-28, 16:51   Link #77
Valky
Radioactive

Well, it's not like One Piece was predictable in the first place. The world setting, characters and their ability are unique. That's the beauty of One Piece. You won't know what you'll get, Oda will simply blow your mind.
Old 2012-03-28, 17:00   Link #78
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
OP logic, don't question it. We should all think like this now.
I really should think like this, and I usually do.

But the whole "Smoker's heart" thing is the only exception to the other victims which have had consistent behavior so far.

I mean, all of the other victims have been able to move despite being cut to pieces.

So why does Smoker's removal of his heart suddenly make his body stop functioning?

But perhaps there's something to Law's power that makes him decide what's possible and what isn't. Or maybe the power works in a way that hasn't occurred to me yet.
Old 2012-03-28, 17:09   Link #79
Valky
Radioactive

I guess it has something to do with the word he said. "Mes". It's new so I guess a new different ability compared to the others.
Old 2012-03-28, 17:16   Link #80
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
I guess it has something to do with the word he said. "Mes". It's new so I guess a new different ability compared to the others.
Did anyone notice that Law's room closed around Smoker's heart the panel before he took it out?

That's probably what 'Mes' is.