Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-08-16, 21:55   Link #521
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Yes but I'd still prefer not to have to physically buy something. I'm not really interested in collecting. I'm all for being a patron, but when you buy a DVD (or whatever) only a fraction of the money you pay goes to the original creators, all the rest goes to the varied middlemen along the way, who I'm not really so interested in giving my cash to.
aye, I've never really resolved that other than to buy the original manga. Even when you buy direct from Japan (be it figures, CDs, etc) ... very little really goes to the actual artist (just like most of the world).
Old 2011-08-16, 22:27   Link #522
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
aye, I've never really resolved that other than to buy the original manga. Even when you buy direct from Japan (be it figures, CDs, etc) ... very little really goes to the actual artist (just like most of the world).
Maybe I should mail a cheque to their home address, and hope they don't think I'm crazy?
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 23:52   Link #523
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Hopefully we can get rid of the middle men some day. Their business model is falling apart and it can only be put on the life support of legislation for so long.

Though, I was under the impression that most of the price of an anime DVD in Japan goes to pay the people making it since its their main source of income. Or are middle men really making like $500+ per person that buys per series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There simply needs to be a patron class (like in Shakespeare's day) and the peanut gallery gets to enjoy and pays what they can when they can.
This.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 09:36   Link #524
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

For japanese DVDs it's an interesting question, my guess would be more goes to the original makers, but do you want anything going to middlemen? Then again, those middlemen are often the "sponsors" you see after the opening credits, so...

As for Translated DVDs, I'm actually not at all interested in any of my cash going to Funimation and co. I'd say substantially less goes to the original creators on an R2 purchase.
Old 2011-08-17, 11:43   Link #525
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
For japanese DVDs it's an interesting question, my guess would be more goes to the original makers, but do you want anything going to middlemen? Then again, those middlemen are often the "sponsors" you see after the opening credits, so...

As for Translated DVDs, I'm actually not at all interested in any of my cash going to Funimation and co. I'd say substantially less goes to the original creators on an R2 purchase.
A good example is the Voice Actresses/Actors... they don't make much money at all, but they get enough non-salary perks to get by. Its why they get so emotional at fans recognizing them personally. That's the reward they have to cherish because they don't get financially rewarded :P
Old 2011-08-17, 12:26   Link #526
relentlessflame

*Administrator

For Japanese merchandise, most of the publishers/distributors were those who invested in the production in the first place (part of the Production Committee), so they might as well get your patronage. There's a whole other issue about how much of the money the production committee raises that doesn't actually go to the animators and those doing the "real work" (as Vexx alluded to, that includes the voice actors)... but that isn't really something that's going to be fixed by either buying or not -- it's the nature of the business, and they knew that when they signed up for it. If you do contract work, you get paid what's in the contract.

I would say that even supporting local distributors isn't something to be shunned outright, though. Money is being invested by the distributors to acquire the licenses, and that revenue is part of many production committees' financial plan. While an increase in domestic sales may have more overall impact, the loss of licensing revenue could still negatively impact the production planning since they're counting on money from both of those sources. They're two different budgets, so I don't think they'll see money in one pot as offsetting a lack of money in the other. I think it's also useful for production committees to know that they do have fans overseas, since that encourages them to take small steps to make their merchandise more appealing to foreign fans. (For example, we're seeing a small but growing number of new TV shows now include English subtitles on their Japanese Blu-Ray release.) Basically, if you're going to be a "patron", I suppose it can be somewhat helpful if the companies know who you are so they know what interests they can better serve going forward.
Old 2011-08-17, 12:33   Link #527
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Well my ideal would be to send a cheque to somewhere appropriate, with an amount I feel is appropriate, with an enclosed letter saying "I'm a fan from Ireland, I really enjoyed X, please make more in the future etc. etc."

Or if I could do it online it would be even better, like donating to wikipedia. I wouldn't mind some of that money going to investors who were part of the production committee.

I wonder if Anime producers did allow donations, how much they'd get...
Old 2011-08-17, 15:18   Link #528
ender
*yawn*

Quote:
Maybe I should mail a cheque to their home address, and hope they don't think I'm crazy?
Cheques still exist?!
Old 2011-08-17, 16:35   Link #529
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender View Post
Cheques still exist?!
(off-topic) heh... I still have ONE utility that requires a check... my garbage collector. Naturally I forget to pay because literally every other bill with anyone i can handle via card or online.
Old 2011-08-17, 18:08   Link #530
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender View Post
Cheques still exist?!
I had to use cheques with my last landlord .
Old 2011-09-11, 18:22   Link #531
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Not sure if this is exactly the right thread to post this but:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...g-chutzpah.ars

When I saw the link in my RSS reader, I immediately thought of Evan Stone, and what do you know the article was about him. This is the same guy that involved in those Funimation suits IIRC.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote