AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2008-12-15, 20:35   Link #1341
kujoe
from head to heel

The thing about Kenichi having no talent, is merely pointing to the fact that he's no "natural" in the world of martial arts. He's not intuitive enough to grasp lessons right away (actually maybe he does pick up things pretty fast...) and he wasn't born with a gifted physique either. He's just average.

But this is where, once again, the idea of hard work vs. talent comes in of which Kenichi exemplifies the former (especially with masters like his). Knowing that, it makes even more sense why the manga is named "History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi", emphasizing his status as the greatest martial arts student in history.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-16, 05:36   Link #1342
M.I.P.
May contain nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Is he even deserving the rival status anymore?

Kenichi is milking Tanimoto's doubleface weakness for all its worth.

For all intents and purposes he is Honoka's slave. (Probably gonna take after her mother when they're married.)

Oh how the mighty have fallen.
My thoughts exactly if he doesn't get a serious fight pretty soonish he's going to be reduced to nothing more than a joke character.

I was also thinking to myself that Kensei is something of a bastard and seems to have recieved no reprimand at all for his behaviour. Leaving a school is fine because it probably got so big he couldn't close it without creating bigger waves than he'd like but leaving his family. When Renka was introduced he didn't even seem to recognise her which suggests he left quite a while ago. It'd be fine if left when his kids were all considered adults at least in the legal sense but seeing as Renka hasa younger brother as well he just left them at the time when he should have been around. A lot of people are calling Dragon a jerk for leaving his kids but at least he had a better reason than Kensei. I hope Renka tells her mother about Ryozanpaku and she comes and drags Kensei kicking and screaming back to China so that when he leaves this time at least he'll have their blessing.
Old 2008-12-16, 11:55   Link #1343
Baka Ronin

Send a message via ICQ to Baka Ronin Send a message via AIM to Baka Ronin Send a message via MSN to Baka Ronin Send a message via Yahoo to Baka Ronin
Sounds like the voice of experience. much family issues in your past? Its a manga.. it doesn't have to have a serious reason. Maybe he just got tired of his wife nagging all the time. Maybe he felt he did not have enough worth disciples. Maybe he just wanted to take pictures of Shigure. Who knows? What is obvious and what is true are often not the same.
Baka Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-16, 13:25   Link #1344
M.I.P.
May contain nuts.

It's simply the fact that abandoning his family is just passed over like it's nothing important. Shigure whose father set out to be the worst father ever should be particularly miffed at Kensei's treatment of his family. I don't mind him leaving but I do mind him leaving when his kids were so young. I know Kenichi isn't a serious manga but the fact that Renka went through all this trouble to retrieve Kensei suggests that they really miss/need him. I'd prefer it if he had some deeper reason that he didn't tell his family like he left to protect them as his reputation was resulting in too many attacks on them and his school.

As for experience my family life is about as close to the average as anybody elses no abandonment issues or anything.

Last edited by M.I.P.; 2008-12-16 at 13:39.
M.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-16, 14:46   Link #1345
Baka Ronin

Send a message via ICQ to Baka Ronin Send a message via AIM to Baka Ronin Send a message via MSN to Baka Ronin Send a message via Yahoo to Baka Ronin
Do you really think he would have left if they needed him that badly? I think they can fend for themselves just fine and they just want him to come home.
Old 2008-12-16, 17:33   Link #1346
M.I.P.
May contain nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baka Ronin View Post
Do you really think he would have left if they needed him that badly? I think they can fend for themselves just fine and they just want him to come home.
Did I say they can't fend for themselves? They've been left in charge of seemingly the biggest martial arts school in China, money isn't something I reckon they'll ever lack. I'm talking about their emotional needs. Can kids get by with one parent certainly they can and they can come out perfectly alright if not better for it but this doesn't make the absentee parent any less of a deadbeat mom/dad. The fact Renka came to Japan shows how much they require his presence not as a provider but as a parent.
Old 2008-12-17, 01:30   Link #1347
seiji_kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.I.P. View Post
Did I say they can't fend for themselves? They've been left in charge of seemingly the biggest martial arts school in China, money isn't something I reckon they'll ever lack. I'm talking about their emotional needs. Can kids get by with one parent certainly they can and they can come out perfectly alright if not better for it but this doesn't make the absentee parent any less of a deadbeat mom/dad. The fact Renka came to Japan shows how much they require his presence not as a provider but as a parent.
If you're talking about emotionally scarred, I never had the impression Renka emotionally missed him rather that she was pissed that he ignored his responsibilities.

And imo a man should live how he wants to live anyway. We hardly know anything about Kensei's family circumstances. And imo Kensei is at Ryozonpaku to fight Yomi which makes him a noble warrior of justice! Don't be so fast to judge since we still haven't had a story of how he winded up at Ryozonpaku.

Quote:
A lot of people are calling Dragon a jerk for leaving his kids but at least he had a better reason than Kensei
Tbh both their reasons seem similar, to fight the big bad of their world. Dragon => WG, Kensei => Yomi. But in both cases we have hardly any details.
Old 2008-12-17, 01:59   Link #1348
Sinta

from what i understand, the Kenchi was one of the most popular animes for the station that produced it. I though it was almost guareenteed a sequeal.
Old 2008-12-17, 02:46   Link #1349
NoLongerSane

Well, we have to wait a week before the Takeda/Kenichi sparing commences. I do hope that the manga gives a positive portrail to boxing as Takeda now has both arms to use this time round. If Takeda is made to have improved immensely, then I think he would be ablt to hold his own against one of YOMI. As for the rest of the Shinpaku alliance, I hope that in the upcoming chapters that the others are given time to improve before the inevitable battle. Speaking of the YOMI fights, does anyone want to guess who will get pair up to fight with. The Rachel/Renka match is pretty much a lock due to the fan service that can be milked from that fight, and the Kenichi/Tirwat rematch is probably going to happen soon. I am just wondering if Tanimoto is going to be given a person from YOMI to fight with.
NoLongerSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 05:41   Link #1350
M.I.P.
May contain nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiji_kun View Post
If you're talking about emotionally scarred, I never had the impression Renka emotionally missed him rather that she was pissed that he ignored his responsibilities.

And imo a man should live how he wants to live anyway. We hardly know anything about Kensei's family circumstances. And imo Kensei is at Ryozonpaku to fight Yomi which makes him a noble warrior of justice! Don't be so fast to judge since we still haven't had a story of how he winded up at Ryozonpaku.
Aman should also honour his commitments and responsibilities. Renka isn't emotionally scarred because the mangaka didn't want her to be but the fact she went to all this trouble and seems to have made Ryou Ma a replacement father figure suggests she craves a father in her life. The actions of parents have affected kids in this manga for a while Miu was affected and Shigure was affected and now suddenly the influence of parents is passed over.

Quote:
Tbh both their reasons seem similar, to fight the big bad of their world. Dragon => WG, Kensei => Yomi. But in both cases we have hardly any details.
So far as I can see before the YOMI arc started nobody had any plans on fighting YOMI but rather they were content to exist in a state of Cold War. I haven't seen it stated anywhere that Kensei left to fight Yomi or that fighting YOMI is even a significant goal in his life.
Old 2008-12-17, 13:25   Link #1351
Baka Ronin

Who is this "Dragon" you guys keep talking about?
Old 2008-12-17, 15:16   Link #1352
NoLongerSane

I am thinking that they are talking about Luffy and Ace's father from One Piece.
NoLongerSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 16:16   Link #1353
seiji_kun

Quote:
Aman should also honour his commitments and responsibilities. Renka isn't emotionally scarred because the mangaka didn't want her to be but the fact she went to all this trouble and seems to have made Ryou Ma a replacement father figure suggests she craves a father in her life. The actions of parents have affected kids in this manga for a while Miu was affected and Shigure was affected and now suddenly the influence of parents is passed over.
A man should do what he wants to do. That just comes down to opinions. Kensei clearly was never suited to play the perfect father since it's just not his style.

And if Kensei's uncle is a father figure replacement for Renka then honostly imo the mangaka isn't showing it very well. I never saw a slight hint of her craving for a father figure, the only thing I see her craving for is Kenichi. And I do remember the scene where the uncle obliterated the maffia cause he missed Renka but that's from the uncle's side. At least that's the impression I have on Renka.

Quote:
So far as I can see before the YOMI arc started nobody had any plans on fighting YOMI but rather they were content to exist in a state of Cold War. I haven't seen it stated anywhere that Kensei left to fight Yomi or that fighting YOMI is even a significant goal in his life.
Shigure been weaponhunting from the start, they've been opposing Yomi from the start. Wasn't it even stated that Ryozonpaku is the direct opposing force of Yomi. The counterbalance, so to me it doesn't seem that unlikely that Kensei could've winded up there to fight Yomi. I doubt he'll have a story like Apachai where Elder just picked him up. But that's why I said it seems since we don't know any details.
Old 2008-12-17, 16:19   Link #1354
Baka Ronin

All of this is just speculation until it comes out in a manga chapter. There is no reason to let it get to the level of a heated discussion. I also think it asinine to compare kensei to a character from one piece (I can't stand that one, the art is too childish and the plot too simple).
Old 2008-12-17, 16:29   Link #1355
seiji_kun

Quote:
All of this is just speculation until it comes out in a manga chapter. There is no reason to let it get to the level of a heated discussion. I also think it asinine to compare kensei to a character from one piece (I can't stand that one, the art is too childish and the plot too simple).
I wonder where you get the assumption that it'll become a heated discussion. Nothing implies it even in the least.

And for someone who's advising to have people stay calm you're awfully provocative bye putting such ignorant and offensive comments down of One Piece. I'm not even going to bother defending OP & comparing it to Kenichi.
Old 2008-12-17, 18:12   Link #1356
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
AI can't stand that one, the art is too childish and the plot too simple.
Ok, I REALLY want to answer this but it may not come out so nice, so I'll just say...visit the One Piece manga discussion thread...and you'll see that the plot is not as simple as you think. OP plot is way more complex than you think.
cloak_and_dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 18:17   Link #1357
M.I.P.
May contain nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiji_kun View Post
A man should do what he wants to do. That just comes down to opinions. Kensei clearly was never suited to play the perfect father since it's just not his style.

And if Kensei's uncle is a father figure replacement for Renka then honostly imo the mangaka isn't showing it very well. I never saw a slight hint of her craving for a father figure, the only thing I see her craving for is Kenichi. And I do remember the scene where the uncle obliterated the maffia cause he missed Renka but that's from the uncle's side. At least that's the impression I have on Renka.
I'm referring to the fact that she cared enough about him to go back to the restuarant when he was rampaging instead of staying with Kenichi or retrieving her father. That says to me that she's giving him priority but I suppose that's just my intepretation.

Quote:
Shigure been weaponhunting from the start, they've been opposing Yomi from the start. Wasn't it even stated that Ryozonpaku is the direct opposing force of Yomi. The counterbalance, so to me it doesn't seem that unlikely that Kensei could've winded up there to fight Yomi. I doubt he'll have a story like Apachai where Elder just picked him up. But that's why I said it seems since we don't know any details.
Shigure's weaponhunting is done in an attempt on her part to atone for her fathers supposed sins which goes back to my point of parental influenvce on children being prevalent in this manga.

My point isn't that they're not at war my point is that the war was more like a cold war until Ryozanpaku took on a disciple. So before the escalation in affairs is there any real reason why Kensei would have to leave his family in order to battle Yami. Finally it's not like he lacks enemies back home.
Old 2008-12-18, 12:35   Link #1358
seiji_kun

Quote:
I'm referring to the fact that she cared enough about him to go back to the restuarant when he was rampaging instead of staying with Kenichi or retrieving her father. That says to me that she's giving him priority but I suppose that's just my intepretation.

Shigure's weaponhunting is done in an attempt on her part to atone for her fathers supposed sins which goes back to my point of parental influenvce on children being prevalent in this manga.

My point isn't that they're not at war my point is that the war was more like a cold war until Ryozanpaku took on a disciple. So before the escalation in affairs is there any real reason why Kensei would have to leave his family in order to battle Yami. Finally it's not like he lacks enemies back home.
I could be wrong but I never had the impression that this war only restarted due to Ryozanpaku taking on a disciple since this war been going on for ages and they are far from fighting only through disciples. The masters are fighting Yomi itself to and they would've had stopped them doing their filthy bussines if Kenichi arrived or not. And that's why it's my impression that Kensei could've ended up at Ryozanpaku due to circumstances with Yomi since Ryozonpaku was shown before as the counterbalance to Yomi. I don't think he just ended up their to neglect his parental responsibilities and everyone is entitled to his own opinion and I respect your opinion that you got such a nice view of how a parent-child bond should be but I want to give Kensei the benefit of the doubt.
Old 2008-12-18, 12:40   Link #1359
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
This week's hi-light sceen.
Spoiler for Rachel's XXXX:
WTF?!!! How'd that bat got in there?!!
Old 2008-12-18, 14:46   Link #1360
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
WTF?!!! How'd that bat got in there?!!
rofl, it's nothing behind the bat; i saw the chapter and all. Someone's being mischievous posting that pic lol
cloak_and_dagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen