AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 82 52.23%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 59 37.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 6.37%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 2.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.64%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.64%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-02, 01:00   Link #21
Thelastguardian

KyoAni ironfist-ed its way through the episode. I have a few problems with episode 18, but mood (or rather, the changed of mood with regrads to the main plot) isn't one of them.

KyoAni handled the mood forcefully. The transition from the party (happiness) to the sisters standoff (isolation, depression) is abrupt, yet achieved the effect of loneliness. Forceful? Hell yes. But I give them credit for pulling this off.

I also don't have problems with the way the episode end. Sudden? Yes. Ineffective? No. I mean, you are still thinking about the ending, right?

It is also unreasonable to expect a mircle ending. There are no supernatural events in this plot line. Therefore you can't expect KyoAni to pull a "At 12:00 Shiori suddenly heal and they live happily ever after." Even the game didn't tried to pull this. Prehaps the miracle will happen once Yuuichi finished off all the girls.

Spoiler for game:

If you look at the game, the seperation (and the events before and after this crucial point) is much more dramatic. I am actually surprised that KyoAni toned down the dramaticity of Shiori's act (for the sake of plot coherent, as someone guessed).

Spoiler for game:

I want to say some more but I am running out of time....maybe next time

PS I sound like a KyoAni apologisist

Last edited by Thelastguardian; 2007-02-02 at 01:19.
Old 2007-02-02, 01:20   Link #22
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

I just watched the RAW, and have a few brief comments.

It felt as though we were in the middle of a movie session. The events in the beginning were normal, but the pace was very dramatic, with scene transitions occurring one after another in rapid succession. This built up the mood to a peak, but it felt missing at the start and at the end.

I get the feeling that the momentum would not have been so jarring if you marathon the episodes. Regardless, it really felt as though I was watching a movie production, and not some TV series. The quality of the directing was really there... and the technical merits can easily put most OVAs to shame.

One can't help but feel that people must be throwing money at KyoAni's office or something... Either that, or they have slave labour.
~~~~ ~~~~

I will post more thoughts once the subs are out.

Cheers.
Old 2007-02-02, 01:49   Link #23
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
I was half-expecting Yuichi to break out in full Hare Hare Yukai dance, but alas, no, it's not Kyon, who'd rather die than dance...

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Old 2007-02-02, 01:59   Link #24
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian View Post

Spoiler for game:

I want to say some more but I am running out of time....maybe next time

PS I sound like a KyoAni apologisist
so what is this promise?
Old 2007-02-02, 02:23   Link #25
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare View Post
so what is this promise?

Spoiler for game:
Old 2007-02-02, 02:27   Link #26
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
^

Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-02, 07:02   Link #27
Raniie

This pretty much say it all for me while watching this episode.

Old 2007-02-02, 08:00   Link #28
Zoahr

Well, I'm kinda new in Kanon posts, but meh.
A 8/10 for me. Well...

Spoiler:

Last edited by Zoahr; 2007-02-02 at 08:10.
Old 2007-02-02, 08:06   Link #29
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

From my speculation in the Episode 17 thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I've just had a sudden thought......

Maybe, just maybe, next episode will be Kitagawa's chance to truly shine. There's at least two ways in which he can affect the Shiori arc in a meaningful way;

1) Despite the way he keeps getting treated like dirt by her, Jun may very well be the only person Kaori is willing to listen to, if he takes the effort to reason with her. I can certainly see Yuuichi getting Jun into the whole thing, and delegate to the latter the responsibility of working on Kaori's mindset, while he himself focuses on the Shiori part of the whole problem.

2) The other way Jun might be useful is somewhat related to his role in the Mai arc. Think about it; in the Mai arc, Jun said he was part of the committee that planned the dinner ball. Who better amongst Yuuichi's closest friends to plan the birthday party that will likelier than not happen next episode?

EDIT: And just to be careful......a disclaimer. This is pure, 100% speculation. No docking my rep for "spoiling" anything, please.
Score one out of two for me!!! Not too bad at all!!!

Eagerly waiting for the subs to come, now.
Old 2007-02-02, 08:33   Link #30
Sai the Dreamer
Dead Sexy
*Graphic Designer

Honestly, I didn't like the ending. But, as with all things by Kyoani, they tend to fool you until the last moment. I'll be waiting to see what happens later on with Shiori, if she's still alive somehow.

Or am I being ignorant? >_>;
Old 2007-02-02, 08:48   Link #31
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai the Dreamer View Post
Honestly, I didn't like the ending. But, as with all things by Kyoani, they tend to fool you until the last moment. I'll be waiting to see what happens later on with Shiori, if she's still alive somehow.

Or am I being ignorant? >_>;
No, I do believe you might very well be on the right track.

I don't know for sure, of course, but then again, KyoAni does have a track record.
Old 2007-02-02, 09:45   Link #32
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
*cries* i loved this ep ~
Spoiler:

10/10 cause shiori is the best girl!

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-02-02, 10:35   Link #33
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroduc View Post
You're just deluding yourself if you honestly think a Nayuki ending is even remotely possible. The only thing even left in her 'story' is
Spoiler:
and I'm fairly certain that they're not going to have that happen 7 episodes from the end and have them just sort of hang out with that overhead for five or six episodes because that would get old really REALLY fast.
Ummm, no?
There's two arcs that's left unfinished, Ayu and Nayuki, the episode count is moot as we all know that it's now going to be split between these two. So far the Ayu route is being done so much that it's actually Nayuki's story that's barely got touched, but in reality neither route can single handedly carry the rest of the show so which ending we get is still entirely up in the air. And what's interesting now is that Yuuichi finally got some feeling of romance in him due to Shiori making a move on him, this is very important because it sets things in the correct position to actually deal with Nayuki's problem, more so than Ayu's. While it's hard to judge solely on the preview alone, next epsiode seems to deal *more* with Ayu than Nayuki, this is particularly strange because this hints at a Ayu focus arc and not a Nayuki arc, and if that turns out to be the case then it only means that they want to deal with Ayu before Nayuki, and that could very well point to Nayuki being the ending.
Old 2007-02-02, 12:07   Link #34
Raniie

This is my guess.

The next two episodes will most likely focus on Ayu (19-20). I fear her end will be at episode 20. Then the other 4 episodes afterward will be Nayuki. Then following the return of Ayu and every body else (well maybe not Makoto) at episode 25-26.

Judging by how KyoAni has set the stage, it's obvious that they're putting Yuuichi on a depressive train ride (go look back on episode 1 :P ). He got hit quite hard, imo, in Makoto's arc, but was able to brush it off. What Makoto arc did was took down his "wall" so to speak. In Mai's arc, while not as depressively painful, but it was a cumulative amount hitting him repetitively, thus finally weakening him; since his "wall" to protect him is gone. Now Shiori's turn just ended and gave him a strong blow to the heart. Next up has to be Ayu to finish him up and it's gonna break Yuuichi. Once we have a broken Yuuichi, we can finally see Nayuki story into full swing.

The hospital scene with Mai and Sayuri foreshadowed spring to come, so we'll be seeing spring somewhere in episode 23+. We know for sure Mai and Sayuri can still make an reappearance. Shiori's case, however, is anything goes. Ayu's case too is also anything goes, but I somehow feel that, we'll be seeing less of Ayu soon, but maybe more later. I do agree it's possible for a Nayuki ending, too, but with the extra 2 episodes that were later announced, I doubt it now.

Now, to me, this episode was very well done, as it does has closure, while leaving an opening. As it seems, we're not really done with Shiroi yet, just like how KyoAni didn't really finish up Mai's story, too, but saving it for later.

Everything to me, in this episodes make perfect sense and how it's setting up the stage for the next story arcs.

Have "Trust in KyoAni" is all I can say for now.

With all that said, I can't wait to see Ayu's most important highlighted scene in the series being redone.
Old 2007-02-02, 13:10   Link #35
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

The mood for this episode wasn't too bad, it was good the regular coffee house scene (originally just Yuuichi and Shiori bumping into Kaori and Nayuki by chance) was expanded into the birthday party scene, bringing in Ayu and Kitagawa (thus making himself useful once again since helping Mai out).

It was ominous seeing Shiori wear her original outfit again. The fountain scene and box cutter scene were tear-inducing, and when Shiori asked Yuuichi if she was able to keep smiling, the BGM played got me moved. It's a pity the end of this episode was so open-ended, at least we got closure for the Makoto arc, while I knew Mai would most likely survive at the end of ep 15 mainly because "Hope" had healed her. This leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

I have a feeling even if Kyo-Ani must kill poor Shiori-chan off, they'll give her one more appearance before that, so perhaps we'll be seeing her again, just like we can be hopeful of seeing Mai and Sayuri-san again.

Last, but not least: This episode has the best usage of BGM so far, taking tracks from the two arranged albums to great effect. That alone forms the bulk of my score for this episode.
Old 2007-02-02, 13:13   Link #36
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
There's two arcs that's left unfinished, Ayu and Nayuki, the episode count is moot as we all know that it's now going to be split between these two. So far the Ayu route is being done so much that it's actually Nayuki's story that's barely got touched, but in reality neither route can single handedly carry the rest of the show so which ending we get is still entirely up in the air. And what's interesting now is that Yuuichi finally got some feeling of romance in him due to Shiori making a move on him, this is very important because it sets things in the correct position to actually deal with Nayuki's problem, more so than Ayu's. While it's hard to judge solely on the preview alone, next epsiode seems to deal *more* with Ayu than Nayuki, this is particularly strange because this hints at a Ayu focus arc and not a Nayuki arc, and if that turns out to be the case then it only means that they want to deal with Ayu before Nayuki, and that could very well point to Nayuki being the ending.
You made a good point that I wanted to comment last night but I was feeling tired to type. I feel little by little Yuuichi is progressing in his evolution for a monoganous relationship. Each girl we've seen so far makes more and more of a move on him, becomes more and more affectionate towards him, and in return he becomes much more affectionate to that particular girl in the process.

Consider this: his feelings for Makoto was sketchy at best to begin with. When the situation got serious, they spent a lot of time together in Yuuichi's room and the entire day on Makoto's last day of Human existance. When she disappeared, he didn't break down at all (although what we see off camera is left to viewer interpretation). He showed up the next following days pretty much the same as he was before. But she was a friend to him, and if Yuuichi had a wish, he'd want Makoto back.

Next arc, Yuuichi spent a significantly larger amount of time with Mai. He was there just about every single night with her and several times during the day. Of course, Mai didn't reciprocate any of the things that Yuuichi confessed to her in episode 13, but she certainly demonstrated some feelings for him or at least set a particular mood. The "winter prom" was a good example. Mai coming to help train Yuuichi on the rooftop. Episode 14's last few minutes. That scene on the top of the staircase in episode 15. Definately, he cared for her, and Mai considered him a friend. Yuuichi's feelings were much more intense in Mai's arc - although this could simply be the offset of the action. Action heightens drama.

Shiori's is much more intimate. She likes or loves him (depending on who's fansub you follow lol) from the very beginning. And if you've already finished watching episode 18, then I don't really have to explain to you how much Yuuichi means to this winter beauty. They've spent the third most time together so far throughout the series. Yuuichi went on a date with her - the first in a while since with Ayu at the movies - and they had fun. Shiori definately had fun. The animosity between she and her sister was resolved in a manner of speaking, she had the best days of her life with him. Then what? She holds his hand, she tells him how much Yuuichi means to her, she kisses him. Yuuichi has a sketchpad ready for her. And it really shows he cares, however bad she might be at portraits. And like I said, a guy like him wouldn't be so blind to see how a person like Shiori feels towards him. I'm pretty sure Yuuichi knew she was in love; he just didn't know how far she wanted to take it. The kiss was pretty much as far as you could get it. Was Yuuichi starting to get romantic feelings too? After all these fun times and dates with various women already, if he ready to settle down with someone?

Before he can answer that, she leaves him.

Probably with good intentions and all. I mean, Shiori would not have wanted somebody like Yuuichi to see her die all of a sudden. But still, it's a pretty rough way to break up. From the previews for episode 19, I'm sure he will have a lasting heartbreak through that episode at least. If it carries over to additional episodes, great. If you read my rant on page one of this thread, I was irritated with how suddenly the breakup was and how we didn't get to see Yuuichi in any turmoil that we might/should expect to see in episode 19. It pretty much hardcore stopped the way it was with Makoto. POOF! She's disappeared. Problem was, this wasn't Makoto. This was Shiori, a girl Yuuichi had real feelings for, real caring feelings for. It ended the same way but it shouldn't.

There is something to be said about this ending, however. There is no guarantee that Shiori is dead or is going to die. The nature of her disappearance remains a mystery still. It could very well be that Shiori expects to die, and in an effort to save him from a world of depression, she ran home. At home, she won't have to bear with Yuuichi looking down at her on her deathbed. And since Yuuichi doesn't know her address, he'll never come see her. This could be the last we see her; she may not show up in the back quad again to save Yuuichi of any hopes and dreams being crushed once more. If she DOES live though, if by some miracle she doesn't die as expected, I'd say she would have to make the biggest apology of her life. "I'm sorry, Yuuichi. I ran because I didn't want you to see what we both knew would happened to me. But it never happened."

This series seems to be about miracles, reunions, etc. after all...

The fate of Shiori is in Kaori's hands now. They'll be in school on Monday, and we'll hear if Shiori ever went home or not. Or maybe Kaori's absent (maybe an extended absence; then we'll never know). Regardless, this happening will stay with Yuuichi for a while. It will be present in episode 19; I only wish it was more present in episode 18.
Old 2007-02-02, 13:54   Link #37
Raniie

I doubt we'll see Kaori or Shiori for a while. Kaori and Shiori's problem got worked out. Sunday is the day Shiori will be hospitalized, this mean that, since Kaori finally accept Shiori as her little sister again, she'll be spending practically all her time with her little sister.

So far, we got 1 in the grave (Makoto) and now 4 hospitalized (Mai, Sayuri, Shiori, and Kaori). I expect to see Ayu joining Makoto soon, since I bet Makoto been very lonely lately. XD
Old 2007-02-02, 13:57   Link #38
Sai the Dreamer
Dead Sexy
*Graphic Designer

I'm fairly certain Kaori won't be there - she could be either mourning her sister, or spending time with her. We probably won't find out until after Nayuki's arc, which should occur in the middle of Ayu's (i.e. between the revelation and the end).

With that in mind, what do you guys think about the possibility of Makoto returning? I didn't think it'd happen, but this episode certainly changed my mind... and I'm not sure what to think now. Don't forget that her story didn't have an exact resolution either.
Old 2007-02-02, 14:45   Link #39
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well... I liked Toei's version better, at least it felt more tearful. This one seemed mild, which is strange, cause I was expecting to get the same reaction I had with Toei's version, but this was not as good as I had hoped. Nevertheless, it was a good enough episode on its own, pretty depressing if you think about it, but only Makoto's and Sayuri's story really touched me. Shiori, while I can't comprehend her plight as well as everyone's feelings on the issue, the tragedy of the situation, etc etc, didn't feel as depressing or dramatic as the other two.

And here's hoping to a decent conclusion this time around
Old 2007-02-02, 14:49   Link #40
rogueblade

Wow, that ending left me scratching my head.
But i'm pretty sure that the arc will be completely resolved next episode - like what happened with Mai's arc. Except...

Well, check out what Yuiichi is wearing as he cries into his hands next to Ayu in the preview. Does it seem familiar?

This episode actually made me laugh-out-loud, something which an anime hasn't achieved for quite some time, so kudos on that. Some of the face paints that Jun wore were just downright freaky, though.
The fountain scene at the end was just sublime. The way the fountain suddenly shot into vigour was amazing, and at the perfect moment. Animation was great, as usual, but they seemed to suffer from "stationary mouth syndrome" at times. The music....
Can anyone tell me that jazzy piano track that was kicking in this episode, and also ayt the bit last episode where Kaori slumps by her door?

I must see that portrait that Shiori took of Yuiichi though. I'm desperate to...
Closed Thread