1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-12-29, 12:41   Link #201
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
It's because Bakemonogatari is the adaptation of a light novel series. In a light novel the pace is different, and also each character has to be fleshed out through dialogues rather than pictures.
Well then the dialogue has failed miserably by my standards then as I don't like a single one of them at this point.

In any case I'm going to be putting this back on hold and maybe try again to finish it in a month, but it's really just not looking promising that I'll ever really enjoy this show much again. No sense in forcing myself to watch it after a particularly bad stretch.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-30, 07:03   Link #202
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Well then the dialogue has failed miserably by my standards then as I don't like a single one of them at this point.
...well everyone's standard is different. Especially yours, I think.
Old 2011-12-30, 09:50   Link #203
zato_1one

As I've already said, if you don't like the dialogues then don't bother with it. Because you will never understand the subtle in it and how fun it is.
Old 2011-12-31, 13:54   Link #204
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
As I've already said, if you don't like the dialogues then don't bother with it. Because you will never understand the subtle in it and how fun it is.
It's really not very subtle at all from where I'm sitting, but then I've said the same thing about a lot of things people find subtle in anime like say Lucky Star's comedy. I find this show very much up in your grill at all times with it's style, characters and one-liner (although occasionally rambly) jokes and it's frankly kind of exhausting, especially when I don't really like any of the characters and feel that the stylizations only detract from already tough watch. Some people like this sort of thing where a show gets lost in it's own bizarre stylizations and intricacies and seems to not give a damn whether the viewer is still interested in what's happening in the show or not by the time an episode is winding down, I really don't.

Yeah I think this is a once and for all drop again. NisiOisin dialogue combined with Shinbo's absolutely manic almost direction less errr....direction....are obviously incompatible with me and I'd rather start watching some more stuff I actually do enjoy to some degree than something that sets my teeth on edge frequently like this. Katangatari is a NisiOisin yet I actually find the humor amusing, the characters interesting enough to see where they go, the direction engrossing as opposed to distracting and the storyline of the sort of epic that I often tend to enjoy so I think it's back to that. Bakemonogatari....it's just....too otaku oriented for me I guess and requires me to really buy into the sort of jokes and appeals it's peddling when I'm quite possibly diametrically opposed to everything they stand for. Thing is I get most of the jokes and appeals, I really do, it could not be more obvious about what they are and where they lie, I just don't find any of it really all that funny, exciting or frankly original and/or clever. Oh well....

Oh and as an addendum Manzai style comedy is among the least amusing styles of comedy (just very limited) I can think of and now that people have pointed out that that is basically what this show is and now that I can see it everything makes perfect sense as to why this is just not at all funny or clever for me.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-31, 14:43   Link #205
zato_1one

Otaku... huh? LOL

Well, reading your previous comments. I doubt that you really get it, seriously. You can say as many times as you want that this series doesn't suit your taste or just appeals to Otaku. But I also want to say that I do know many critics or reviewers who really love this series (FYI, they don't like Lucky Star). So, it's kind of a moot point if you think that only otaku should appreciate it.
Old 2011-12-31, 14:50   Link #206
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

I'm getting a lot of "Greek" vibes from Kaioshin Sama if anyone here catches my drift.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-31, 15:21   Link #207
CrazyPerson

Kaioshin Sama is a person with very picky tastes and they're usually different from most people as far as I've seen. He just makes his incompatibility with a series evident to everyone. That always incenses people that are fans.

They're his opinions and he states them very bluntly. But there's not much reason to get riled up or even try to convince him. He won't be (or rarely) convinced and debating a person's personal tastes doesn't get anywhere.

On another note, some people found this episode weaker than most others. I do agree. There's not much mystery to the assailant and a bit talkative of the random sort. Even if the talk was to establish Kanbaru's character.
CrazyPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-31, 21:53   Link #208
zato_1one

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPerson View Post
Kaioshin Sama is a person with very picky tastes and they're usually different from most people as far as I've seen. He just makes his incompatibility with a series evident to everyone. That always incenses people that are fans.

They're his opinions and he states them very bluntly. But there's not much reason to get riled up or even try to convince him. He won't be (or rarely) convinced and debating a person's personal tastes doesn't get anywhere.

On another note, some people found this episode weaker than most others. I do agree. There's not much mystery to the assailant and a bit talkative of the random sort. Even if the talk was to establish Kanbaru's character.
Well, you see. I know that he doesn't like the series (not only this episosde). And that's not a problem at all because as I've already said that it's not for everyone. I actually didn't say anything to convince him or criticize about his taste. But the problem is that he said something like this series is only for otaku. It's fine that you don't like something but to criticize other people's taste for liking it is not a productive argument. IMO
Old 2012-01-01, 05:37   Link #209
Shikijin

I agree with what was said. Liking or not a show is his personal taste, but it is bad taste to ever mention the word "otaku" in a review, whatever the reason. The word otaku for anime is like the word nazi for politics. It really doesn't mean anything anymore, nothing but a strawman. Can a show be really for otaku because it has references to other anime and manga? (which don't even have nothing to do with the author, he gains nothing by mentioning them, the author just likes to pay respect to things he likes) Is a show for otaku because it has fanservice? (I confess that when I was a teen I watched Ranma because it had naked tits) Is a show for otaku because it has lengthy dialogues? (if anything, that should give a better opinion of otaku) Are shows for otaku wathed only by otaku? (no) Are shows not for otaku watched by otaku too? (yes)

You understand Bakemonogatari better if you know a bit more than the average anime fan. This doesn't mean that even other kind of people can't like it though. When I started watching Bakemonogatari I didn't even know it came from a light novel series.

Anyway, while I seldom talk about the show I didn't like because it would make me sound like a masochist for having watched them, there are people who like to nag about almost everything because it inflates their ego to make other people think they are ones who have discriminating tastes. My advice is to let them go. Nothing is lost.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-01, 10:45   Link #210
redgrnbluylw

I do not like how Kaioshin Sama is so labeling and discriminatory in his reasoning. Saying something is for otaku is saying something like a show is for nerds, or girls, or any other category you can think of. It's a very high-school like way of thinking, trying to fit everything into cliques.
I watch Bakemonogatari cuz I enjoy the show and its quirks! Not because I associate myself with some stereotypical image.
redgrnbluylw is offline   Reply With Quote