AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-01-26, 12:24   Link #21
Strahan

Poor kid. When the bubble popped like that, I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of those "so powerful it broke the reading" tropes, and down the road they'll somehow find out she's actually a super OP tamer. If it goes that way, I swear to God if they have her forgive her family and reconcile with them I'm gonna reach through the screen and smack her for being stupid lol. At least the mother was decent, but the rest of them can go to hell. Given how Japanese writers adore the I'll-forgive-you-no-matter-what-you-did type of thing, I won't be too surprised if it goes that way.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-26, 18:57   Link #22
BCMan5388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
Poor kid. When the bubble popped like that, I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of those "so powerful it broke the reading" tropes, and down the road they'll somehow find out she's actually a super OP tamer. If it goes that way, I swear to God if they have her forgive her family and reconcile with them I'm gonna reach through the screen and smack her for being stupid lol. At least the mother was decent, but the rest of them can go to hell. Given how Japanese writers adore the I'll-forgive-you-no-matter-what-you-did type of thing, I won't be too surprised if it goes that way.
Whether this is the case or not, the chief is the real cause of this witch hunt. It's him you should be worrying about the most here. He just got into the family's heads (and ultimately that of the whole village). The effect is no more to blame for this than the cause.
BCMan5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-26, 22:47   Link #23
Decel

Her father's rejection was self-fed. He's trash.
Old 2024-01-26, 23:31   Link #24
BCMan5388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decel View Post
Her father's rejection was self-fed. He's trash.
No one's saying the family (or the whole village) is blameless (they believed the chief's bigotry without batting an eye). But what if the chief had this whole trend set up in the first place and got into the family's heads long before Ivy was even born? I doubt her old man was naturally bigoted like the chief.
BCMan5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-27, 01:13   Link #25
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I think we can just sum it up as everyone sucking. People are influenced by circumstances and environment. But in the end the father still turned on his 5 year old child...that's just inexcusable. Village chief can also be tossed in a volcano with him. But I'd say it's with and not instead of. Mother might be the least trash due to some inkling of maternal affection. But honestly just wipe the whole village off the map. When one fortune teller is the only decent human being it's not a great look.

Old lady was a good one though. Smart enough as well to know that nothing good can come from hiding being starless. Obviously don't tell everyone and anyone. But once she finds people she can trust then best to get it out there. Having them find out at a bad time could be disastrous. Shouldn't have to be like that. But that's how trust can be.

Impressive that she managed to live outside that cesspool for 3 years. Not much choice of course and partly thanks to the Fortune Teller helping her out. But not a comfortable situation.

At least we made it through the worst of it. The absolutely horrible backstory was there and they couldn't avoid showing it forever. At least it's over and done with. Now can look forward as Ivy tries to find a place for herself. Counting on that Fortune Teller being on the money with the goal for that journey.
Old 2024-01-28, 15:51   Link #26
Rasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I think we can just sum it up as everyone sucking. People are influenced by circumstances and environment. But in the end the father still turned on his 5 year old child...that's just inexcusable. Village chief can also be tossed in a volcano with him. But I'd say it's with and not instead of. Mother might be the least trash due to some inkling of maternal affection. But honestly just wipe the whole village off the map. When one fortune teller is the only decent human being it's not a great look.
Completely agree. It's one thing if he left her because he couldn't do anything and prioritized the rest of the family, but he actively turned against her from the point he found out she is "starless".

I can't even imagine why they would want to hunt her down. Though the "starless will make this village suffer" might as well be a self-fulfilling prophecy. We know that the MC is definitely going to achieve something big, so when she does and the villagers still try to mess with her...
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-28, 20:33   Link #27
larethian

Episode 3 would have made for a better episode 1 or 2, and gave this show a more interesting start. Episode 1 should be condensed, imo.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-28, 20:41   Link #28
Rasty

^ I think that episode 1 is a much better hook into the series. It also sets the tone we are to expect from it as a lighter-hearted adventure story with a brave and highly "street smart" girl who has some hardships and a few darker undertones to it. If the Ep3 was the beginning not only wouldn't we get invested in the story so soon, but it would also set false expectations of a pretty dark story, which according to the other 2 episodes, this isn't.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-29, 02:25   Link #29
Alchemist007
*Author

Seems like religious fed mind poisoning on the populace, probably well beyond just her home village. Feed people's bigotry to ensure loyalty.
Old 2024-01-29, 02:49   Link #30
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

People here think too much.
This is just a typical narou trope.
You ate jobless or gave bad skills? Banished!
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-03, 19:13   Link #31
Strahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMan5388 View Post
Whether this is the case or not, the chief is the real cause of this witch hunt. It's him you should be worrying about the most here. He just got into the family's heads (and ultimately that of the whole village). The effect is no more to blame for this than the cause.
Yea, the chief is a piece of crap too but if I were the kid it's the parents I'd be more furious with. The chief has no obligation to her whereas the parents are family. They brought her into this world. Regardless of what other people say, whatever philosophy the chief espouses, they are the ones who ultimately chose to discard their child. Being surrounded by hate and bigotry doesn't mean you need to go down that route as well; that's no excuse.

Quote:
I think we can just sum it up as everyone sucking
This.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-03, 23:29   Link #32
HandofFate

Probably gonna turn out 'starless' are actually the heroes, and some corruption planted in society made is so that any starless are hunted down before they get strong.
Old 2024-02-04, 01:18   Link #33
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

The VA must have had quite the fun time saying "magic bag" over and over again there . Also love how this kid's concept of money revolves entirely on the value of field mice .

I do think Ivy could spare some love for her past life. Though I suppose there's a good chance that is part of why she's having so much trouble and her skill situation is frazzled. But still, her past life is basically with her like a traveling companion. One that isn't a glutton for potions .
Old 2024-02-04, 15:40   Link #34
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
The VA must have had quite the fun time saying "magic bag" over and over again there .
I never expected a lesson in Set Theory in the middle of an anime.

Quote:
her past life is basically with her like a traveling companion. One that isn't a glutton for potions .
Also one who doesn't sound like they're from Magic Knight Rayearth.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-05, 16:52   Link #35
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
People here think too much.
This is just a typical narou trope.
You ate jobless or gave bad skills? Banished!
Yeah, I agree with this. They needed a reason for the plot to move and took the easiest/most common route.
Old 2024-02-09, 15:56   Link #36
HandofFate

why doesn't she want anyone to see her slime? Don't think its a big deal
Old 2024-02-09, 16:49   Link #37
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
I guessing it's due to slime being considered weak creatures in this world, and that her having one as a partner would cause the people to realize that Ivy is a 0-star tamer, with her fearing that they will react the same way the scum that are the people in her home village did.
Old 2024-02-09, 19:46   Link #38
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Its a rare slime that wasn't supposed to last the night much less be able to heal giant panther things in the woods.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-10, 19:47   Link #39
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Oh darn. Life is tough in the village of scumbags right now? What a shame. I kind of want to know more about it, but kind of don't.

Ivy picked up another good ally. Probably even more essential than even Sora. Of course a healer is a big deal so no shame there. But someone strong that can help prevent her from getting hurt in the first place or even killed is a nice pickup. Just too bad she can't just waltz into town with it.

Great that this place is full of good people. Sure they are pretty scary (all the more so at Ivy's height) but that just makes them all the more reliable. A good bunch that made sure she got a good tent, was secure in town, and was on top of keeping scumbags out of it. Sadly can't get absolutely everyone, but at least the response time was great. Honestly I expected ivy would have to point out the mark, but in the end it all worked out swimmingly.

Nice turn of events.
Old 2024-02-10, 20:27   Link #40
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Ivy picked up another good ally. Probably even more essential than even Sora. Of course a healer is a big deal so no shame there. But someone strong that can help prevent her from getting hurt in the first place or even killed is a nice pickup.
I loved the way Ciel immediately started scent-marking Ivy. Perhaps a warning to the other forest predators to stay away.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outcast, young heroine